PDA

View Full Version : NHMS TV details

NWMT PR
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
This is your friendly warning if you follow the race online and try to watch it on SPEED at the same time ...

Like the two previous years with this race, and with Bristol in August, the SPEED broadcast will be on a delay at the beginning. The race is set to take the green flag at 12:45 p.m., and the race broacast begins at 1 p.m. With an opening segment, it will probably be around 20 minutes behind at the start, but will gradually catch up over time.

Bob Dillner, Larry McReynolds and Jimmy Spencer will be on the call from the booth and Dr. Dick Berggren will man the pits.

We'd love to see you at the track and set your recorder, but if you can't make it out, please tune in.

Goldy
09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I really appreciate the coverage and all.. but Spencer, awwww man.... couldn't he cover like, what's going on out back, in the parking lots - or a very short special feature on the Whelen safety lighting around the track and on the emergency vehicles?

bud
09-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Goldy my man. Why u diss'n Mr. Excitement???

limodmaniac
09-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Some of us have been diss'n Jimmy Spencer ever since we saw him drive a modified!

catfish
09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Don't forget though he gained some points in most peoples eyes when he punched Kurt Busch!

KChez
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but he lost those points with that stupid crying bit on what ever ******* show that is on Speed. They did a good job of neutering him and keeping him from speaking his mind which was always good.

Teds Race Tours
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Jimmy Spencer. GREAT modified Driver.....Didnt like theway he drove....not my style(kinda TC ish), but he won ALOT.

In My Opinion, Jimmy Spencer adds NOTHING to television broadcast except mispronounced names. Nothing personal, but, he detracts from my enjoyment of the broadcast. Jeff or Rick Fuller would have been a better choice.

catfish
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I cannot stand him as an announcer either, although sometimes on a boring telecast hearing him butcher the English language does at times add to the show slightly.

Goldy
09-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Bud, sorry if Spencer is/was your guy; I’m with Jim on this one – I never liked him when he drove a modified back then and I struggle with his presence on my television today.

On the topic of who’s in the booth – I had great dialog with a "named racing writer" last year; I said put Fuller up there, his point which was well taken was - as much as “we” might want to see our named color commentators be someone like (Rick, Jeff Fuller or even say a Ben Dodge – at least someone who actually knows what they are talking about as the 3rd man in the booth), that the network really wants a “larger” name up there, hence in the past you have seen “experts” like a visiting Geoff Bodine and Mr. Experiment himself – Spencer..

Part of his point which made a lot of sense to me was that if Joe Racefan from Cornfield, Nebraska tunes into SPEED on Sat and sees our beloved modifieds racing at NHMS, he might just stick with the broadcast if he hears and or sees a named race “personality” in the booth vs. say a Rick or Jeff Fuller.. Joe would say, who the hell is this Fuller guy with the accent and change the channel. Networks are finicky like that; they don’t want to take a chance on someone the vast viewing audience doesn’t know. I happened to catch just enough of Spencer’s “shtick” on SPEED recently to make my stomach turn and I quickly changed the channel myself – so I guess it works both ways. But I’d venture to say that Jimmy’s in the booth because of his name and not so much his abilities.. which might also explain…

.. why Spencer clogs up position #9 on NASCAR’s All Time Top 10 Modified Drivers list; Spencer came in to Modified country with his big Hutter motor and bullied his way to a couple handfuls of victories and 2 championships. Maybe it’s me but it always seemed like Spencer and his Berwick bunch were up to no good. I protest his being inside the top 10, but I get it – it’s his name..

I truly love the coverage we have had on TV – and I’ll pick on stuff like Spencer, well – because I can.. With any luck the weather will cooperate and we’ll see a great race on TV..

MOD JUNKIE
09-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Spencer was a cheap shot driver in the mods and it's great to have him in the booth with his idiot pills in hand....pffft!!!

fastbackss
09-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Part of his point which made a lot of sense to me was that if Joe Racefan from Cornfield, Nebraska tunes into SPEED on Sat and sees our beloved modifieds racing at NHMS, he might just stick with the broadcast if he hears and or sees a named race “personality” in the booth vs. say a Rick or Jeff Fuller.. Joe would say, who the hell is this Fuller guy with the accent and change the channel. Networks are finicky like that; they don’t want to take a chance on someone the vast viewing audience doesn’t know. I happened to catch just enough of Spencer’s “shtick” on SPEED recently to make my stomach turn and I quickly changed the channel myself – so I guess it works both ways. But I’d venture to say that Jimmy’s in the booth because of his name and not so much his abilities.. ..

Goldy - you are dead on here. It is not so much about us that are here on this forum. It is about the rabid NASCAR fan that calls into SiriusXM but had never seen a Modified before Ryan Newman strapped into one and got discussed on there or on SPEED - or doesn't even know that the Modifieds are a NASCAR division but is intrigued when he hears Jimmy in the booth.

I am going to watch either way, because I am a Modified diehard fan. If having Jimmy in the booth, at the expense of having me cringe a few times, gets more fans for "our" series, I would gladly accept that for every race.

JMB
09-23-2011, 12:31 PM
I always like to dump on Spencer. However, I just looked at the points from his 2 title seasons and the competition he faced then was miles ahead of what anyone on the tour had had to regularly run against in the past few years.

JWfor8x
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Bud, sorry if Spencer is/was your guy; I’m with Jim on this one – I never liked him when he drove a modified back then and I struggle with his presence on my television today.

On the topic of who’s in the booth – I had great dialog with a "named racing writer" last year; I said put Fuller up there, his point which was well taken was - as much as “we” might want to see our named color commentators be someone like (Rick, Jeff Fuller or even say a Ben Dodge – at least someone who actually knows what they are talking about as the 3rd man in the booth), that the network really wants a “larger” name up there, hence in the past you have seen “experts” like a visiting Geoff Bodine and Mr. Experiment himself – Spencer..

Part of his point which made a lot of sense to me was that if Joe Racefan from Cornfield, Nebraska tunes into SPEED on Sat and sees our beloved modifieds racing at NHMS, he might just stick with the broadcast if he hears and or sees a named race “personality” in the booth vs. say a Rick or Jeff Fuller.. Joe would say, who the hell is this Fuller guy with the accent and change the channel. Networks are finicky like that; they don’t want to take a chance on someone the vast viewing audience doesn’t know. I happened to catch just enough of Spencer’s “shtick” on SPEED recently to make my stomach turn and I quickly changed the channel myself – so I guess it works both ways. But I’d venture to say that Jimmy’s in the booth because of his name and not so much his abilities.. which might also explain…

.. why Spencer clogs up position #9 on NASCAR’s All Time Top 10 Modified Drivers list; Spencer came in to Modified country with his big Hutter motor and bullied his way to a couple handfuls of victories and 2 championships. Maybe it’s me but it always seemed like Spencer and his Berwick bunch were up to no good. I protest his being inside the top 10, but I get it – it’s his name..

I truly love the coverage we have had on TV – and I’ll pick on stuff like Spencer, well – because I can.. With any luck the weather will cooperate and we’ll see a great race on TV..

All good points Goldy, except for one small thing...Joe Racefan from Cornbread Nebraska will not watch the modifieds no matter who does the broadcast. They couldn't care less. I doubt if they would watch if there were 20 Sprint Cup drivers in the race and it certianly woudn't matter who the announcers were. Meanwhile, since I can't go to New Hampshire, I'll enjoy the race on Speed no matter who the announcers are and hope that they have actually started now to try and put a real tv deal, even a regional one, togrther for next year.

Goldy
09-23-2011, 04:03 PM
JMB – I won’t dispute that too much, (in the past few years as you said) – but remember then (86/87), our heroes of the day, they were in fact MIGHTY – Magic Shoes, Jeff Fuller, Reggie, Baldwin, Kent, Tomanio, Ross and the ageless, still very competitive Stefanik – but also look at the years that followed.. Rick Fuller, Leaty, Park, Ewanitsko, Christopher, Marquis, Blewett III, Lia, Szegedy, Stefanik still… point is – you always have to beat a very talented and tough bunch of cars to win the championship – I just recall Jimmy plowing his way to victory more often than racing clean.. but thats me..

Anyway – the good news for Jimmy is - this year’s shrinking field, which will only help him in the booth – less names to hack; although he should start practicing the pronunciation of Bonsignore.. like.. now…

:cheers:

RGeeProductions
09-23-2011, 04:57 PM
You mean 'J Bongs' ?

skbob
09-24-2011, 10:24 AM
The Daytona Beach paper says Speeds broadcast begins at 3 pm.
the cable tv guide says it starts at 3 pm.
NWMT PR on here says it starts at 1 pm.

WHO'S RIGHT????????:confused:

JWfor8x
09-24-2011, 11:42 AM
The Daytona Beach paper says Speeds broadcast begins at 3 pm.
the cable tv guide says it starts at 3 pm.
NWMT PR on here says it starts at 1 pm.

WHO'S RIGHT????????:confused:

According to Speed's website, it's 1:00 pm. The trucks are scheduled for 3:00.

Jaws
09-24-2011, 11:59 AM
1:00PM is the time, if you wait until 3;00 you may be watching a truck race.

catfish
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Actually to start at 12:45, TV coverage is delayed 15 min. Read that updates here on the Horn WILL BE LIVE so the updates and TV coverage will not match early on.

skbob
09-24-2011, 08:32 PM
SORRY SORRY SORRY.
the paper DID SAY 1pm
the cable guide on tv DID say 3 pm.
I did set the DVR for 3pm but it corrected itself & recorded the race at 1pm.
so they screwed up, I screwed up & I got a MODIFIED race to watch on TV.
Life is good in Daytona Beach