PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Oval Promises Plenty of Action at North-South Shootout

LongIslandJam
10-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Asheboro, NC: Caraway Speedway is by all definition a traditional oval. It measure .455 miles with seven degrees of banking on the straight-aways and 12 degrees in the turns. Boasting multiple grooves Caraway Speedway will also produce the traditional excitement that fans and competitors have come to expect from the annual North-South Shootout TM.

In year’s past, with limited track time at the host speedway, neither the Southern competitors nor the Northern competitions had a decided advantage. With the move to Caraway, Southern competitors may have an edge in the 9th Annual John Blewett III Memorial North-South Shootout presented in memory of Charles Kepley. During the 2011 season, the Southern Whelen Modified Tour will have competed in six events at Caraway.

Additionally, there seems to be no comparative track to Caraway north of the Mason Dixon line.

“Caraway has more banking than Stafford, and less than Thompson, and it is shorter than both,” said George Brunnhoelzl III, current point leader of the Southern Whelen Modified Tour (SWMT).

“Caraway is it’s own thing,” commented fellow SWMT competitor Andy Seuss.

Both George Brunnhoelzl, III and Andy Seuss have logged many miles at Caraway as well as the tracks up North.

“The move to Caraway is definitely somewhat of an advantage for us,” said Brunnhoelzl. “But it is balanced out a bit because the tires are different.”

Hoosier Tire South will be bringing a different tire compound to the North-South Shootout than the southern teams run during their regular season visits.

“These Northern teams are smart,” added Seuss. “If they come with a good baseline set-up, they will be able to pick it up quickly.”

There is no such “decided advantage” for one Northern competitor. Ted Christopher has a number of Modified wins at Caraway Speedway including the Southern Whelen Modified Tour event at the speedway on April 23, 2011.

In year’s past, the North-South Shootout has been all about horsepower. This year driver ability, set-ups, and strategy will play a big role.

“I believe that the move to Caraway is actually going to make things more exciting for the fans,” said Seuss. “There will be more potential winners this year.”

At press time, Brunnhoelzl has captured a win at Caraway this season while his teammate Seuss is a two-time winner. Brunnhoelzl and Seuss currently sit one-and-two respectively in the SWMT point standings.

Whether the Southern teams shine in light of the change or the Northern teams adapt quickly to continue their dominance of the event, there are a number of competitors, both North and South, who welcome the move.

“I think it’s good that [C&C Racing Promotions] is changing venues,” said current Northern Modified Tour point leader, Ronnie Silk. “I think it was time for a change to be made. It’ll be cool to try and get [the Shootout] at other tracks.”

At press time, Silk has not formally filed an entry for this year’s Shootout.

“I’d go to [Caraway], “said Ted Christopher, “I’ve won a bunch of races there. It’s closer, I can get a direct flight to Raleigh-Durham and I know where the hotels are there. It could be good for me.”

Although Christopher has not formally filed an entry to the North South Shootout at this time; during his post-race interview in victory lane at Stafford Motor Speedway he referenced his participation in the event.

Caraway should be good for fans too. Northern followers will get to experience a new venue, while Southern fans will get a taste of something different at the Shootout at Caraway.

“This should be a pretty good show for the fans,” added Brunnhoelzl. “We have never had a race on the Tour where we could change tires. Now that we can, the cars will be racier. We will be able to dice it up some more.”

Seuss had some advice for the fans-new and old.

“One thing fans do not want to do is leave Caraway Speedway early,” said Seuss, “with different strategies used by different teams the last laps usually decide the winner. The North-South Shootout will likely go down to the wire.”

To take in every lap of action, contact Caraway Speedway at 336-629-5803 to purchase tickets.

The ninth Annual John Blewett III Memorial North-South Shootout will be presented in loving memory of Charles Kepley, the event founder. Keeping with tradition, the annual event will feature the Tour-Type Modifieds in 125-laps of green flag racing. A star-studded field of Late Model competitors is expected for the 100-lap CRA Super Late Model main event. SK-Type Modifieds, USA Modifieds and Sportsman will also be part of the excitement.

Regular updates and complete information on the upcoming North-South Shootout can be found on northsouthshootout.com and carawayspeedway.com. Visit heartofnorthcarolina.com for area information. To learn more about the CRA Late Models visit craracing.net.