PDA

View Full Version : Enduro's at Big Diamond over for good?

Bill11
10-17-2011, 02:16 AM
I know that their has been talk for a few years about removing dead cars from the track at your events, any change on this rule for next year? Now that BD has cancellled the enduros their will be ALOT of cars looking for somewhere to race, this rule change could really increase your car count. I know that I have a 3 car team that would like to come down and race, but I just have to much time and money invested to take the chance of wrecking my cars because of dead cars left on the track, or even worse have a break down and the car left on the track for the rest of the event to act like a pinball. Please consider this rule ajustment when you have your rule meeting. Thanks

CJfilms
10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Bill, I will put your thoughts into consideration.....my best advice to you now is that if you are serious about racing with us next season, come to the rules meeting we will be arranging in the next few weeks and put your two cents in then and there.....also, let anyone else you know that is interested know they can participate, it will be open for all to attend.

More info to come about time and date....

Thanks!

Easy E
10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey Bill, I'm guessing Wingle? Come on down to the meeting free pizza and beer!!:lol::lol:

DerbyN8-128
10-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Just a suggestion...if for some reason it would be decided that dead cars WOULD be removed, every car should be required to have some kind of place to attach a chain QUICKLY to the front of the car for towing. For example, a looped chain around the bumper just loose enough for another chain to be connected to. Obviously if the bumper is torn off, that would be a different story. In my opinion WAYYYY too much time was spent moving the car in turn 1 that had rolled onto its roof. That whole process was really drawn out.

Actually I am still a little confused why the car was moved at all after being rolled back onto its wheels...I barrel rolled twice at that same exact spot and my car was left ON the track. That car was farther off the track then mine was.

CJfilms
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
The chain is a good idea....or a cable or something like that.

I was on the front stretch in the flag stand, but I was getting irritated myself about how long it was taking....no reason for it... It was moved however due to fuel leaking out....the #3 was almost moved too because the track worker said it was leaking fuel out....Rick came over and examined the gas cap and found that the cap handle itself came off, but the fuel tank was sealed by the cap......

THAT will be worked on next season and I will be getting things moving quicker through our officials....

DerbyN8-128
10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
if that's the case, then I can see moving it to prevent a fire.

I would have hooked a chain to it and tugged till it rolled onto its wheels then hooked to anything solid and drag it out of the way. Those tow guys could learn a few things about moving dead cars from watching a few demolition derbies.

Philter39
10-17-2011, 10:30 PM
What Diamond SHOULD do is bring the Roadrunner rules back to how they were originally. STOCK.Then you could use enduro cars. That class has gotten out of hand. It is supposed to be an entry level class. I would not doubt that there are $10,000 cars in the class racing for $200. Modify an enduro car to be a Roadrunner car ? What a joke. JMO phil

Tracy57
10-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Just a suggestion...if for some reason it would be decided that dead cars WOULD be removed, every car should be required to have some kind of place to attach a chain QUICKLY to the front of the car for towing. For example, a looped chain around the bumper just loose enough for another chain to be connected to. Obviously if the bumper is torn off, that would be a different story. In my opinion WAYYYY too much time was spent moving the car in turn 1 that had rolled onto its roof. That whole process was really drawn out.

Actually I am still a little confused why the car was moved at all after being rolled back onto its wheels...I barrel rolled twice at that same exact spot and my car was left ON the track. That car was farther off the track then mine was.

Sorry it took so long to get out, I will not avoid injury during a rollover only to break my neck getting out. I remained calm until I braced myself and let the rescue worker release my belts. Unless it's on fire I don't jump out without thinking. Things are a little different when you are upside down.

Do you mean a chain like the one hanging on the front of the 57? maybe I need to label it for you, I could make some cartoon pictures of a tow truck and an arrow pointing to it. :lol:

Or would you prefer to tell my husband to change the wheel bearing every race. Apparently he left that one on the car too long...20 hours, guess he needs to put the new one on morning of race. Sorry I'm a little wound up about forking out cash for a brand new bearing thinking we're playing it safe. We'll let you know how swapping a bigger bearing goes over the winter so others don't suffer same fate.

Larry has no idea where the fuel leak came from, he can only guess it was a small amount in the vent line that came thru the rollover valve as the car was righted.

On the bright side I finally found a way to dump the grandview mud out of the car. :lol:

Poppop
10-18-2011, 05:32 AM
:wave:I changed my RR wheel bearings and spindle as soon as I found out how and got tech approval. So far I have had zero failures. I offered the information on the forum but didn't have very much interest. :confused:It's about safety, not performance and it makes it easier to get the car off the track yet not many want to do it. "Peace and Love"

Poppop

CJfilms
10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Tracy, I don't think Nate was talking about you personally in the incident.....the track workers take their dear old time trying to flip the vehicles. We've all seen it in the past where they try to position themselves to pull the vehicle over for about five minutes...then take time to hook it so it will hold (only to have it break something and have them start over)...then roll the vehicle at a pace slower than if we just waited for the world to revolve so it would be right side up! LOL!!!

Hence the reason, when I'm by a flipped car....driver comes out, gets their gear out too, then I just ask the fire fighters to help right the car by hand....one and done, ready to go racing without a 20 minute delay....

As for you taking your time to get out....who wouldn't?!?!?!? I don't blame you for being as careful as possible! Heck, if it was me upside down, I'd probably say flip the car over first then try to unclench my hands from the wheel to get me out!!! LOL!!!

By the way, EVERYONE ELSE......DO NOT TAKE HER ADVICE FOR REMOVING THE DIRT FROM YOUR CAR!!!! PLEASE! :p

NeetsSpectator
10-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey Joe, How about getting one of those Tug-Of-War ropes, put a hook on one end, and use it to flip cars back over.
A while back you were looking for some half time entertainment and this would be perfect.
There's less of chance of someone getting hurt since they would be further away from the car.

CJfilms
10-18-2011, 07:52 PM
I like the idea Poppop! Now, all we need is a car that we can repeatedly roll over!!! LOL!!!

DerbyN8-128
10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Sorry it took so long to get out, I will not avoid injury during a rollover only to break my neck getting out. I remained calm until I braced myself and let the rescue worker release my belts. Unless it's on fire I don't jump out without thinking. Things are a little different when you are upside down.

What the hell are you talking about? This has nothing at all to do with you getting out of the car. I specifically talked about the tow truck operators taking their time to carefully roll the car over then another long time to move it from where it was. A fact that Joe has agreed with. I have no problem or questions with how long it took you to get out of the car.

Do you mean a chain like the one hanging on the front of the 57? maybe I need to label it for you, I could make some cartoon pictures of a tow truck and an arrow pointing to it.

Again, not really sure what your problem is, obviously you feel the need to take your crash frustration out on me. If you re-read what I suggested, I was suggesting all cars have a chain to quickly remove them from the track IF dead cars start being removed during the race. If you already have one, that's great. I don't need a drawing, nor do I care.

Or would you prefer to tell my husband to change the wheel bearing every race. Apparently he left that one on the car too long...20 hours, guess he needs to put the new one on morning of race. Sorry I'm a little wound up about forking out cash for a brand new bearing thinking we're playing it safe. We'll let you know how swapping a bigger bearing goes over the winter so others don't suffer same fate.

You lost me there...I don't really care and have no idea why you are suggesting that I would want to tell your husband anything at all about your car....

DerbyN8-128
10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
What Diamond SHOULD do is bring the Roadrunner rules back to how they were originally. STOCK.Then you could use enduro cars. That class has gotten out of hand. It is supposed to be an entry level class. I would not doubt that there are $10,000 cars in the class racing for $200. Modify an enduro car to be a Roadrunner car ? What a joke. JMO phil

I agree. This is a good example of the what ruins these types of racing. The promoters need to keep things in check before they get out of hand and start becoming so expensive that only the rich can race, everyone else kind of drags along behind until finally leaving for something better (cheaper). It can happen in any form of racing of course. You will always have the drivers who want more out of a series, but catering to a few drivers this way can turn several other drivers the other way. If it's STOCK, it needs to stay stock. Not stock + some (or a lot)

Danger83Ranger
10-18-2011, 08:36 PM
yeah uhhh tracy57, im not sure what the heck your talking about...but derbys post has nothing to do with you, just how the situation was handled...geesh...women these days...lol

Tracy57
10-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Sorry if sounded a little wound up. Im not really. I would say we learned 3 things.

1. Cavalier and sunfire bearings break even when well cared for. So if you're going to run one change to Chrysler bearing and build a good cage (we're adding handles to make it easier to get out.)

2. Make good provisions for fuel and battery acid. Luckily the battery didn't spill but we're spending extra on gel cell next year and improving rollover valve to be safe.

3. wear clean (yet dark colored) underwear- drivers AND flaggers! Wear clothes under your racing suit- trust me, you never know.

And the last thing I got to say is being upside down is pretty freaky man. It's also kinda cool and a little confusing. One minute your driving next thing you know The windshield is all dirt and the change falls out of your pockets. It doesn't suck near as much as hitting the back stretch wall.

Just to be clear...At least in my case this was a slow rollover, and we had a good seat I was strapped into... I'm sure I don't want to find out what it's like to go end over end down the front stretch.