PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead at 2012 schedule

BigMac
10-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Seems like a lot of the races have been officially or unofficially confirmed already. Don't quote the exact dates. I haven't heard anything on Lime Rock, Monadnock or Canada so I left them off.

Apr 15th: Thompson Icebreaker
Apr 29th Stafford Sizzler
May 25th: Stafford
July 14th NHMS
July 28th Riverhead
Aug 3rd: Stafford
Aug 9th: Thompson
Aug 22: Bristol
Sept 9th: Thompson
Sept 22nd NHMS
Sept 30th: Stafford Fall Final
Oct 14th: Thompson World Series

limodmaniac
10-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe June would be good for some of those other shows

SUfan
10-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Monadnock is a confirmed race, but the date will change I am hearing.

Jaws
10-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I think the rumor is Canada in June.

Sluggo44
10-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Any word on a potential Southern Tour schedule? The only date ive heard so far is the North/South combo race at Bristol on Aug 22, 2012

ben's club
10-23-2011, 01:29 AM
South Boston April 14, 2011 - NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour/T-Late Model

BigMac
10-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Word is the southern tour will be making a return trip to Thompson next Sept. The Nascar trucks won't be at NHMS in Sept so I'll be curious to see what the Saturday schedule looks like next fall in NH. You might be able to do a 1 day show now.

mattphoto
10-23-2011, 02:17 PM
I would think Lime Rock will be on the schedule in 2012

limodmaniac
10-23-2011, 03:17 PM
South Boston to Thompson sounds like a haul. Wonder if the 14 th will be the opening night at Mahoning.

NWMT PR
10-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Lime Rock's website says they're targeting having their schedule to release by Nov. 1.

limodmaniac
10-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Was the 15th announced for Thompson? If not, would they do it as early as April 1??

Also, what "new" tracks could be on the list , if any?

Another road course???

Seekonk? Waterford?? Airborne????

Does Martinsville want the mods back?

Jaws
10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Was the 15th announced for Thompson? If not, would they do it as early as April 1??

Also, what "new" tracks could be on the list , if any?

Another road course???

Seekonk? Waterford?? Airborne????

Does Martinsville want the mods back?

Would love to add Oswego Waterford and Airbourne

Martinsville I think is way off the radar. They are still paying for the last race.

MOD11RACER
10-24-2011, 07:04 PM
From the Norwich Bulletin:

September’s North/South shootout, which featured both the Whelen Northern and Southern Modified Tours, will return. Hoenig said he, NASCAR and Whelen will be working on the project over the offseason to possibly get television coverage.

“It would help us get some more leverage to go out and find some sponsorship. The sponsors get a little bit of exposure out of it,” Hoenig said.

The format this year was two 125-lap races for each Tour followed by a 50-lap shootout. The 125-lap races will remain the same, although Hoenig may see if he can tinker with the 50-lap showdown race format.

The Whelen Modified Tour will also return to Thompson for the Icebreaker and World Series of Auto Racing as well as an August date taken this year by Loudon to support its IndyCar Series program. IndyCar is not returning to Loudon and the Tour will return to Thompson instead.

“The (Tour) race we had in late June we have to kick around,” Hoenig said. “I don’t know if the race fans can stand five races with high admission prices. I would like to do it, it would be a hell of a program, but someone has to pay for it.”

NASCAR’s Jason Christley said the official Whelen Modified Tour 2012 schedule will be released in about a month.

Read more: Thompson Speedway owner wants region’s track officials to meet - Norwich, CT - The Bulletin http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x984139838/Thompson-Speedway-owner-wants-region-s-track-officials-to-meet#ixzz1bkAMksMW

BigMac
10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure what to expect in terms of new venues but I'll make my annual pitch for a return to Beech Ridge. They've put on some good shows in the past and the place can handle a big crowd.

mattphoto
10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Lime Rock's website says they're targeting having their schedule to release by Nov. 1.

cool I think the mods are good at that track

Acadia
10-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Chemung Speedrome and Shangri-La II?

bud
10-25-2011, 08:04 PM
CANADA...... Smart move by NASCAR moving it ahead if they do move it ahead..... hard to skip that time of yr as everyone is still pretty much in the title hunt!

MJProcko
10-25-2011, 10:48 PM
I would add:

(swap the Richie Evans memorial with the late model final at New Symrna)
2/25 Richie Evans Memorial 200 with the Nascar brass in attendence.

If the trucks are indeed going to back to Rockingham then the Rock 150 will be a nice companion race.

We will need to move a date but a 150/200 lap race at Richmond needs to be back on the schedule

Also Martinsville needs to bring back the Cardinal 500, twin 200s for the mods & late models and a 100 lap Crate LM race. ( I can hear the whining now.... I ain't going to sit through a 300 laps of LM racing.... good grief)

These would all be combo races and before everyone screams about travel the tour only left the Northeast twice. refer to the "how is Nascar going to help" post on how to pay for it.

I would love to add Oswego but I think they are happy with the ROC.

For those who want another date in New England, not in CT, I would add Lee.

Again, looking to add quality not quanity.

Goldy
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
MJP -
Are you suggesting that the tour kick off the season at New Smyrna? if so, I think that's pretty unrealistic - right? maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

However, the Evans Memorial - makes me think... I know he's entering the HOF, the tribute car (which btw, I absolutely loved :)) - but wouldn't it feel right if on our WMT schedule there was something like "The Richie Evans Memorial - Bud 150" - how fitting!!! I know there are others such as NSS and Oswego, but doesn't one belong on the actual tour he came from?

Martinsville / Richmond – I think one of these needs to be on the schedule and considering Martinsville has struggled to draw (imo - due to marketing/scheduling) – I really think it’s time Richmond returns to the tour on a cup bill – they are so racy there and would really add some familiar favor back to the schedule.

But weren’t you crying about travel Goldy? Yes I was, but – valid points like that become moot if the purse actually pays to justify the means..

Funny – I was just making a similar comment (off line) to Howie about how nice Lee looks and how I’d like to venture to a couple MRS shows next year for the variety alone..

Axel
10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
I know, I know, not nascar, but a tour race at Mahoning Valley would be awesome!

Whatever happened to jennerstown? Is it still open? I also miss Nazareth -- a goofy track that was always kind of intersting.

MJProcko
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes Goldy, I was suggesting starting the season at NSS during Speedweeks. Yes there are many factors to consider on this one and maybe unrealistic, I'm not naive, however I do believe with the involvement of Nascar it can be done. The idea is to have a race with all of Nascar suits involved and in attendence. They have all these partys and promotional events during speedweeks well what better way then to take them out to the races and set up a tent, cater them and show them the grass roots of American racing. There is no weekend during the year where number of race fans in the area is greater so a great opportunity is there to promote your product.

Now there are a few complications, it's nearly 2 months earlier than the ice breaker so car prep is a big one. It is 1000 miles from New England which is big on travel costs (was not talking about you directly goldy :) ). It's not a Nascar sanctioned track though is probably the biggest drawback for Nascar (same for Oswego). I looked at the possibility of doing this during the July race but all the races at daytona are night races as well as the 400 being on Sat. nite so when do you have it?

You are right about a Richie Evans race and it would have to still have a sponsor like Bud.

I would hope that combining the yearly Martinsville LM race with the mods and bring back the history of the Cardinal 500 would help out both divisions and Martinsville.

Richmond is a no-brainer however according to big Macs schedule the cup weekends are the same weekends as Stafford and Thompson so a date would have to be moved somewhere.

I think Lee makes the most sense for an added NE date because I'd like to see another 1/4 mile track added and passing there is much better than Seekonk and the Maine tracks are just to far - even the MRS turnout at those tracks are just not good.

Magicshoes12
10-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Chemung Speedrome and Shangri-La II?

Chemung is Nascar, but Shangri-La II Isn't

Also last time they were suppose to go to Chemung, they cancelled early to rain, and then they didn't make it up, because the track wasn't going to pay what they had said.

I would like to see Lee and Beech Ridge back on there!

Acadia
10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Went to the original Shangri-la to get my fix when I lived out there. Never forget the lack of a backstretch fence and cars going out into the boonies.

Almost went to the Chemung race. My daughter lived kinda out that way and we were going to meet up with a bunch of her friends, but the rain discouraged us.

Shangri-La II is concrete and it would be interesting to race on that surface without the banking of Bristol. Last I knew, SLII was a RoC track, so it could be kinda cool to do an event with a Roc race and a NWMT race. Sanctioning can be more difficult than complying with the rules.

Would like to see more Maine tracks, love it up there. Great people.

Chemung is Nascar, but Shangri-La II Isn't

Also last time they were suppose to go to Chemung, they cancelled early to rain, and then they didn't make it up, because the track wasn't going to pay what they had said.

I would like to see Lee and Beech Ridge back on there!

BigMac
10-27-2011, 01:05 PM
The guy who wants to go to New Smyrna and Rockingham thinks Maine is too far? Beech Ridge is 40 minutes north of Lee if you are coming up I-95. Of course, the easy answer is just add both tracks. The tour needs another short track in 2012.

rim runner
10-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Unless NASCAR is willing to offer tracks like Beech Ridge, Lee or Waterford a stimulus package like Riverhead & Monadnock get, there is no way you are ever going to see a WMT race at those facilities ever again. Not when a standard WMT purse is now $90,000 +/-.

Even at $50 a head if they could some how manage a near sell out (and I can guarantee you very few people at any of those 3 tracks would be willing to swallow that pill), those tracks would come out a loser because there just isn’t enough seating capacity to support that type of purse.

I don’t think people realize just how small Beech Ridge is. The track is about the same size as Oxford, but they don’t have even half (not even close) the seating capacity of OPS. The men have exactly 3 toilets to used on the grandstand side to give you a better understanding of how small the seating capacity really is there.

The place is top notch, don’t get me wrong, it just doesn’t come close to holding the crowd size that many people in this thread seem to think it does.

For the WMT to be viable at more short tracks, NASCAR needs to trim a bunch of fat off their purses, so track operators don’t have to pay so much for a race, and racers can get more from a purse when they do race.

Rolling about half of 90,000 into point fund and administrative costs for each race is just stupid and completely out of touch with the economic realities for most short tracks.

bud
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Be interersting to see how Chad's yearly paycheck stacks up to the WMT pointfund. Pretty sure NASCAR is as bad as the goverment at using money up.

limodmaniac
11-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I believe last years schedule was announced on Nov. 12. We had hints and tweets and everything. When will this years schedule be released?

burtmyers1
11-10-2011, 09:56 PM
The Nascar Home Tracks twitter has stated early December

MJProcko
11-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Unless NASCAR is willing to offer tracks like Beech Ridge, Lee or Waterford a stimulus package like Riverhead & Monadnock get, there is no way you are ever going to see a WMT race at those facilities ever again. Not when a standard WMT purse is now $90,000 +/-.

Even at $50 a head if they could some how manage a near sell out (and I can guarantee you very few people at any of those 3 tracks would be willing to swallow that pill), those tracks would come out a loser because there just isn’t enough seating capacity to support that type of purse.

I don’t think people realize just how small Beech Ridge is. The track is about the same size as Oxford, but they don’t have even half (not even close) the seating capacity of OPS. The men have exactly 3 toilets to used on the grandstand side to give you a better understanding of how small the seating capacity really is there.

The place is top notch, don’t get me wrong, it just doesn’t come close to holding the crowd size that many people in this thread seem to think it does.

For the WMT to be viable at more short tracks, NASCAR needs to trim a bunch of fat off their purses, so track operators don’t have to pay so much for a race, and racers can get more from a purse when they do race.

Rolling about half of 90,000 into point fund and administrative costs for each race is just stupid and completely out of touch with the economic realities for most short tracks.

I think we have to face facts that the WMT has outgrown the smaller facilities in NE. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing, it's called growth. I think the problem with the purses is not that they are to big, they are just to big for tracks like Beech Ridge. The purses are to small for the WMT to grow, they should be in the 125k - 150k range.... the problem is with who pays for it. The way the purses are now, the tracks, the competitors and the fans are the ones footing the bill. Sponsors are needed to help in increasing the purse and Nascar can make that happen. This way the tracks can be worrying about paying the nascar sanction fee and won't have to charge 40 bucks. Imagine the turnout at the gate with a 25 dollar admission.

Sound like a pipe dream? Can't be done? Well maybe someone (Nascar PR) tell us how the K&N series can have a Point Fund 4x the size of the WMT, a bigger purse than the WMT, smaller crowds and get away charging TWENTY BUCKS at the gate!!!! (15 in advance @ SoBo).

JWfor8x
11-11-2011, 12:40 AM
I think we have to face facts that the WMT has outgrown the smaller facilities in NE. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing, it's called growth. I think the problem with the purses is not that they are to big, they are just to big for tracks like Beech Ridge. The purses are to small for the WMT to grow, they should be in the 125k - 150k range.... the problem is with who pays for it. The way the purses are now, the tracks, the competitors and the fans are the ones footing the bill. Sponsors are needed to help in increasing the purse and Nascar can make that happen. This way the tracks can be worrying about paying the nascar sanction fee and won't have to charge 40 bucks. Imagine the turnout at the gate with a 25 dollar admission.

Sound like a pipe dream? Can't be done? Well maybe someone (Nascar PR) tell us how the K&N series can have a Point Fund 4x the size of the WMT, a bigger purse than the WMT, smaller crowds and get away charging TWENTY BUCKS at the gate!!!! (15 in advance @ SoBo).

Hi MJP...
Maybe the NASCAR PR guy could tell us that, but upon what he wrote in another thread, I don't think that will happen. He wrote the following.
<<<
LIModManiac,
All NASCAR series are allowed to grow. Certainly no one series is being held back from potential growth. At one point, the Modifieds and Grand National (now Cup), were essentially the same. Once upon a time Harvard vs. Yale was bigger than Alabama vs. LSU. Things change over time for various reasons.

I'm not trying to dodge the question here, but I think you can understand that I can't actually share the economics of series versus another.>>>

As far as I'm concerned, the first paragraph was double talk and I, for one, don't understand why he can't share the economics of one series versus another.

worm
11-11-2011, 07:23 AM
that kn question is great

JMB
11-11-2011, 08:38 AM
The ticket cost as South Boston for K&N has little to do with the 2 tours and more about the CT tracks(mostly Thompson) bending the fans over at the gate. The average ticket price for the Oxford 250(some reserved seats cost more, some reversed and all general admission are less) is probably the same as your average run of the mill 150 lap WMT tour race at Thompson. However, Oxford pays 25,000 to win plus lap money, while the tour at Thompson is luckly to pay 1\4 of that.(and way more cars DNQ at Oxford than even show up at Thompson) The issue is the tracks in Southern New England treat a tour you see about 9 times a year in close distance to each other like track in other parts of the county treat a huge once a year event. A lot of places are even charge less for some their Cup tickets!

Acadia
11-11-2011, 08:52 AM
MJP, extremely well said!

The itty-bitty tracks are just not appropriate for the Tour, in many ways. The Tour car has outgrown the itty-bitty tracks.

For whatever reason, the small places aren't filling up with fans, and they are just too small as it is. And to not fill a small place is disturbing. A small track can't have few seats and then charge a tall ticket price. There needs to be lots of stands and lower ticket prices. I would expect to see seating almost all the way around these little tracks, but that isn't the case.

Procko bluntly stated what I had said very gently many other times, while trying to be respectful of the sentimental attachment to Riverhead and other small tracks. I'm amazed Riverhead is still on the Tour schedule. The itty-bitty tracks are great for weekly shows, but not quite right for the Tour cars. The Riverhead event is a subsidized event. How much longer can it survive?

Sponsorship is important. If there's one thing that really disturbs me is the decline of genuine sponsorship. Ten years ago there was Egglands Best, Purina Tidy Cats, Polar, Sunoco and others. Today it's the company of the car owner on the car, essentially a hobby. Wisk is a CT based company, exactly what is needed for the sponsoring companies. The Tour needs real sponsorship, real broad exposure. It's like the Tour is a best kept secret. It is great racing, great cars, and it deserves and needs better promotion, exposure and sponsorship. But most importantly, sponsors need to see that there is the potential for product exposure to many people.

And then to see the amount of exposure and life support the K&N series get is just frustrating. If some of that K&N support was diverted to the Mods, there would be extreme excitement at Tour events with all the cars that would show up.

BigMac
11-11-2011, 09:24 AM
The tour HAS NOT outgrown the short tracks. Hell, there are only 2 on the schedule as it is. Most fans are crying for more short tracks. Besides, what else is there in the Northeast after Thompson and Stafford? Yes, there is a financial aspect for the tracks to deal with in regards to hosting an event. Most tracks can't afford to host them but to say the tour has out grown shorter tracks is just wrong. Waterford, Seekonk, Lee, Beech Ridge, Star, Monadnock have a long history of hosting Nascar touring series events. I've never heard anyone say Riverside was too small for the WMT. Its just the opposite. Everyone wishes that place was still around. I've never heard anyone say Wall is too small to host an event like the Turkey Derby. All of these tracks were drawing more people back in the day as well. These type of tracks are the foundation of the WMT and we need more of them. To say they are too small is crazy in my opinion. Especially when most of these tracks are already hosting MRS modified events.

BigMac
11-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I believe last years schedule was announced on Nov. 12. We had hints and tweets and everything. When will this years schedule be released?

I'm guessing there won't be any new venues this season so there wouldn't be much of a need for tweets and games.

JMB
11-11-2011, 10:23 AM
As someone who loves to blow holes in the ideas of others, I have comment or 2 about doing away with the "itty bitty" tracks. The World of Outlaws are many times more prominent than the WMT when you look at the reality of short track racing. However, they still run at quite a few tracks that probably have half the seating capacity of Thompson or Stafford.(not as many as they used, but still probably at more tracks of that seating capacity range than amount of total tracks the WMT runs at altogether) And they do not race for less than $10,000 to win.

Axel
11-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Small tracks are great. I've seen some of the BEST tour races I've ever seen at places like Riverhead, Holland (way back when), Waterford etc. I've also seen some clunkers on small tracks (sorry, but Wall comes to mind). It's not the size of the track, it's the track IMO. I’ve seen great races at NHIS and stinkers at NHIS. I wasn’t at Twin State a few years ago, but people said that was the best tour race maybe ever. Another small track.

A tour needs to have diversity on its schedule: big tracks, small tracks, intermediate sized tracks and yes, a road course. I appreciate all of the tracks on the tour, some are great, some are not. I can’t even tell you the last time I saw a great race at Stafford, but it's a classic track and not to be missed for the big races IMO (it's a long drive from jersey). I love the modifieds and I love the tour (not a huge fan of nascar, but that’s for another thread). The tour needs a good wealth of diversity on its schedule.

It may not make financial sense. I dont know anything about the finances of the tour or being on a team, but if there's lesss seats, less opportunity to make $ for drivers, tracks etc. But small tracks are great and make for great racing!

JWfor8x
11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
The tour HAS NOT outgrown the short tracks. Hell, there are only 2 on the schedule as it is. Most fans are crying for more short tracks. Besides, what else is there in the Northeast after Thompson and Stafford? Yes, there is a financial aspect for the tracks to deal with in regards to hosting an event. Most tracks can't afford to host them but to say the tour has out grown shorter tracks is just wrong. Waterford, Seekonk, Lee, Beech Ridge, Star, Monadnock have a long history of hosting Nascar touring series events. I've never heard anyone say Riverside was too small for the WMT. Its just the opposite. Everyone wishes that place was still around. I've never heard anyone say Wall is too small to host an event like the Turkey Derby. All of these tracks were drawing more people back in the day as well. These type of tracks are the foundation of the WMT and we need more of them. To say they are too small is crazy in my opinion. Especially when most of these tracks are already hosting MRS modified events.

There is another thing about small tracks that is great that I have not seen mentioned. That is how well they translate to possible tv coverage. I have a DVD done by Riverhead's track videographer of Eddie Brunnhoelzl's 1995 tour win there. It was done with one camcorder, a hand held camera for Victory lane and the audio was a direct feed from the track announcers. There was no special lighting and it is great. Small tracks would be easier for tv to cover than larger tracks, except for one thing. The only tv coverage that the WMT presently gets is for the races run in conjunction with the Cup series. I read somewhere that Thompson is trying to get some kind of tv deal put together for next years north-south combined race. That would be a good thing.

NWMT PR
11-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Stafford says they plan to put their 2012 schedule out next week. We're hoping to have the comprehensive NWMT schedule to release in early December.

MJProcko
11-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I Like the small tracks, there is great racing at most of them. I'm not posting about the quality of racing there. The WMT in it's present configuration is not a fit for tracks like beech ridge and OPS. and you can't just say 'but the MRS goes there' because even they didn't get full fields and they run them in conjunction with PASS races so you can't judge what the crowd would be either. If it comes down to adding new tracks and it's between Beech Ridge and Oxford or Richmond and Martinsville.... it's a no brainer.

Comparing the Oxford 250 to a tour race is apples to oranges but your getting to where the problems are. Comparing a tour race to a K&N raceat Greenville Pickens or Columbus is apples to apples as they have closer to the same set up for payouts, point funds and sanctioning fees where as the OPS 250 is more or less self contained. The key is why is it the K&N can still charge 20 bucks and the WMT is charging 40. Somewhere, someone isn't paying the same costs to put on a K&N race as a WMT race. It's the old joke. Why does it take 5 employees to change a light bulb? Because the union says so.

So Nascar has established that they can make a series with a TV package, a great point fund and decent purses without a great expense to the track or fans..... that series is just not the Whelen Modified Tours. I still have faith that Nascar will see the light and see the opportunity they have in modifieds.

JMB
11-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I Like the small tracks, there is great racing at most of them. I'm not posting about the quality of racing there. The WMT in it's present configuration is not a fit for tracks like beech ridge and OPS. and you can't just say 'but the MRS goes there' because even they didn't get full fields and they run them in conjunction with PASS races so you can't judge what the crowd would be either. If it comes down to adding new tracks and it's between Beech Ridge and Oxford or Richmond and Martinsville.... it's a no brainer.

Comparing the Oxford 250 to a tour race is apples to oranges but your getting to where the problems are. Comparing a tour race to a K&N raceat Greenville Pickens or Columbus is apples to apples as they have closer to the same set up for payouts, point funds and sanctioning fees where as the OPS 250 is more or less self contained. The key is why is it the K&N can still charge 20 bucks and the WMT is charging 40. Somewhere, someone isn't paying the same costs to put on a K&N race as a WMT race. It's the old joke. Why does it take 5 employees to change a light bulb? Because the union says so.

So Nascar has established that they can make a series with a TV package, a great point fund and decent purses without a great expense to the track or fans..... that series is just not the Whelen Modified Tours. I still have faith that Nascar will see the light and see the opportunity they have in modifieds.

Uh, I don't know if you have ever been there, but OPS has either same if not more seating capacity than Thompson. Plus with the layout of the track, none of tours that run there really have any carnage.

BigMac
11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes, Martinsville and Richmond are great tracks with a rich history. They don't want the modifieds. If they did the mods would be racing there. Its that simple. Your trying to stick a round peg in a square hole. Just like they would be at any half mile track that paid a $100K plus purse. Show me a big track that is knocking down Nascars door with a big purse for the mods. The short tracks DO want the mods. They can't afford them is the issue. That can be fixed. That's where the focus needs to be. Beech Ridge and OPS have hosted plenty of tour events(WMT & Busch North). The places were packed and I don't recall any long lines for the restrooms. Who goes to the can during the feature anyway? I think I saw more Richie Evans T-shirts at Beech Ridge the last time they were there than anywhere else. Look at Seekonk, that may be the most ideal WMT short track out there. You can fit 10,000 in there easy if need be. Not a bad seat in the house either. Yes, I know they are no longer Nascar but that place has hosted some good ones over the years. The MRS had a off year but they brought 25-30 cars most places they went in recent years. Tracks wouldn't bring them back if they weren't showing up with a following.

MJProcko
11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Uh, I don't know if you have ever been there, but OPS has either same if not more seating capacity than Thompson. Plus with the layout of the track, none of tours that run there really have any carnage.

I went to a WMT race there back in the 90's, camped overnight there. There is plenty of seating, don't remeber the crowd size but there was plenty of available seats. The racing wasn't all that memorable, I just remember that Jerry Marquis and the 2x got scored down a lap but was actually on the lead lap. The track is one of those tracks that while they call it an oval, the racing groove is an egg shape and the only time the cars actually go straight is down pit road.

MJProcko
11-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, Martinsville and Richmond are great tracks with a rich history. They don't want the modifieds. If they did the mods would be racing there. Its that simple. Your trying to stick a round peg in a square hole. Just like they would be at any half mile track that paid a $100K plus purse. Show me a big track that is knocking down Nascars door with a big purse for the mods. The short tracks DO want the mods. They can't afford them is the issue. That can be fixed. That's where the focus needs to be. Beech Ridge and OPS have hosted plenty of tour events(WMT & Busch North). The places were packed and I don't recall any long lines for the restrooms. Who goes to the can during the feature anyway? I think I saw more Richie Evans T-shirts at Beech Ridge the last time they were there than anywhere else. Look at Seekonk, that may be the most ideal WMT short track out there. You can fit 10,000 in there easy if need be. Not a bad seat in the house either. Yes, I know they are no longer Nascar but that place has hosted some good ones over the years. The MRS had a off year but they brought 25-30 cars most places they went in recent years. Tracks wouldn't bring them back if they weren't showing up with a following.

Look at it this way, they race at Loudon, Charlotte and Bristol.... who owns it? They no longer race at Richmond or Martinsville.... who owns it? Martinsville had a very bad outing the last time out. I posted before they need to repackage it along with the Late Models and revive the Cardinal 500 with twin 250 lappers or twin 200 lappers with a 100 lap crate or Pro late model race. that would be a great weekend.

MJProcko
11-11-2011, 03:41 PM
from the Nascar 2012 Richmond scedule.....

"The Blue Ox 100 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race kicks off the Spring NASCAR weekend on Thursday, April 26. The NASCAR K&N Pro Series features separate schedules and championships for the East and West and makes up the top step of the NASCAR Home Tracks ladder—a launching pad for developmental drivers and home for veterans of motorsports. In addition to producing NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers Joey Logano, Martin Truex Jr. and Kevin Harvick, the NASCAR K&N Pro Series has served as the starting point for some of the top up-and-coming talent now in NASCAR’s three national series, including Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, Austin Dillon and Ryan Truex.

Thursday's ticket includes admission to the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown charity race, benefiting the Denny Hamlin Foundation. All seats are $25 and General Admission. Kids 12 and under are free with a ticketed adult."

That's a 25 dollar event at not Greenville Pickens but Richmond, on a cup weekend.....

burtmyers1
11-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Southern Tour races at any track, except Charlotte and Bristol and even those are only 25 or 30 I think, are always $20 and have been for as long as I can remember. Im not sure how much yall pay up North, but as far as admission no complaints down here.

JMB
11-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Southern Tour races at any track, except Charlotte and Bristol and even those are only 25 or 30 I think, are always $20 and have been for as long as I can remember. Im not sure how much yall pay up North, but as far as admission no complaints down here.

That was kind of a point I have been trying to make but nobody listens. When the K&N ran at Stafford or Thompson the tracks were charging the same for tickets as the WMT. It was not like there was some super discount for the fans between the tours. If you ran a WMT race at South Boston, it would probably only cost $20 to get in. There is a whole different pricing philosophy between the Southern tracks and the CT tracks. It's like the Southern tracks charge less in hopes of packing the place. However, the CT tracks seem to think they need to charge $40 in case only 3,000 people show up.

BigMac
11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Look at it this way, they race at Loudon, Charlotte and Bristol.... who owns it? They no longer race at Richmond or Martinsville.... who owns it? Martinsville had a very bad outing the last time out. I posted before they need to repackage it along with the Late Models and revive the Cardinal 500 with twin 250 lappers or twin 200 lappers with a 100 lap crate or Pro late model race. that would be a great weekend.

Cardinal 500 won't work unless its a on a Cup weekend. Give me a 200 lap WMT race at Seekonk in July or August and I'll get a bigger crowd than your Cardinal 500.

Man, did we ever get off topic

Racer1_NC
11-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Langley was less than 20 bucks the past 2 years.

bud
11-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah funny the east and wmt were like 40 for the double header at stafford but the wmt by itself is 35....hmmmm.
And for the haters of the MRS remember when the tour is no longer "profitable" (with a Howie Carr accent) where will you all end up. Writing is on the wall fellows. Why you thing stafford changed their minds about the "only true tour".... lol. Jerry and Chris gave them rave reviews on Mr D's radio show.

Howie
11-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Stafford has released their 2012 schedule.

http://staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/BoxOffice/RaceSchedule.htm

One of my favorite races, Xtreme Tuesday, will now be Super Saturday.

Axel
11-16-2011, 06:25 AM
good to hear -- i always wanted to see the Supers there and now that it's on a weekend i can go.

Sluggo44
11-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Looks like no Lime Rock on 2012 schedule

http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2011/11/nascar-whelen-modified-tour-of.html

BigMac
11-17-2011, 04:53 PM
I can't say I'm surprised. There are only a limited number of weekends to run Lime Rock. I imagine it must be difficult to find a date that works for everyone involved. Now we're down 2 events from last year. It would be nice to have at least one new venue in 2012.

worm
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
gone for 2012

ModTourMan
11-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Stafford has released their 2012 schedule.

http://staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/BoxOffice/RaceSchedule.htm

One of my favorite races, Xtreme Tuesday, will now be Super Saturday.

Super Saturday! That's great news...I've never had quite enough vacation days to burn to make the Tues. shows. Stafford on a Saturday sounds like a no-brainer for me.

MOD11RACER
11-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Lime Rock Park says No Sponsor No Race or the WMT in 2012.

I also see Lime Rock Park has the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series on the schedule for 2012 in September. You know who owns that Series ? NASCAR.

NASCAR is still mad about the K&N being dropped from the Lime Rock schedule, so NASCAR brings in the Rolex Series to replace the WMT. Thanks NASCAR for all of your help trying to keep a WMT race @ Lime Rock. LOL

It looks like the WMT takes the back seat to want NASCAR wants again. You have to wonder how the hell the WMT survives with all this great help from NASCAR.

limodmaniac
11-18-2011, 09:29 PM
What kind of purse does the Rolex series payout for a race at Lime Rock?

BOWATCHER
11-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I bet the mods race a road course in canada real soon as a partner with the nationwide cars on the same weekend. jmo

bud
11-19-2011, 02:37 AM

I also see Lime Rock Park has the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series on the schedule for 2012 in September. You know who owns that Series ? NASCAR

NASCAR is still mad about the K&N being dropped from the Lime Rock schedule, so NASCAR brings in the Rolex Series to replace the WMT. Thanks NASCAR for all of your help trying to keep a WMT race @ Lime Rock. LOL.

It looks like the WMT takes the back seat to want NASCAR wants again. You have to wonder how the hell the WMT survives with all this great help from NASCAR.

Careful picking on NASCAR..... Someone will call you a bad name lol. So who's responsibility is it to get a race sponsor? NASCAR or the track.

Acadia
11-19-2011, 07:37 AM
So far we lost a NHMS event, which was an extra to begin with, and we lost Lime Rock.

The Modifieds are not sports cars, and have no place on a road course like Lime Rock Park. Especially making right hand turns. The novelty has worn off. It was nice having the three NHMS events, the Modifieds are great on that track.

Need an excuse to go to Maine.

In reading these forums, there is conflicting information. Some posters say that tracks can't get enough NWMT events, and some are saying tracks don't want the NWMT. Does anybody have a clue?

limodmaniac
11-19-2011, 09:56 AM
I emailed Lime Rock and they emailed me back. They are hopeful to have it back on the schedule in 2013.

BigMac
11-19-2011, 10:21 AM
So far we lost a NHMS event, which was an extra to begin with, and we lost Lime Rock.

The Modifieds are not sports cars, and have no place on a road course like Lime Rock Park. Especially making right hand turns. The novelty has worn off. It was nice having the three NHMS events, the Modifieds are great on that track.

Need an excuse to go to Maine.

In reading these forums, there is conflicting information. Some posters say that tracks can't get enough NWMT events, and some are saying tracks don't want the NWMT. Does anybody have a clue?

Who is saying the tracks can't get enough WMT events? I don't recall anyone saying that. If a track wanted an event they could have them and we'd have more than 5 or 6 tracks on the schedule.

Acadia
11-19-2011, 10:42 AM
The tracks might want the NWMT, but can't afford/don't want to pay the fee. That is a recurring theme on these threads. I'm not going to go back and collect links for you.

There is a perception that tracks want the NWMT, but don't want to pay the NASCAR fee, and therefore don't schedule the NWMT.

Tracks want the NWMT, but the Tour can't afford more Riverhead situations. No matter how much itty-bitty tracks want the NWMT, the Tour has gotten more expensive, and the little tracks with the little stands can't support it. If the gate revenue isn't going to cover it, major sponsorship is needed.

If a track wanted an event, they could have it? Really? Have you noticed the decline in events on the schedule over the recent years? Please offer your explanation of why there is a decline in events on the schedule.

Who is saying the tracks can't get enough WMT events? I don't recall anyone saying that. If a track wanted an event they could have them and we'd have more than 5 or 6 tracks on the schedule.

BigMac
11-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I lost you. You are all over the place. There is a difference between wanting to host a WMT and not being able to afford to host one. I'm saying if the price was right a lot more tracks would be interested in bringing them in. You keep saying all these little tracks don't have the seating to host a tour crowd yet all of them have a long history with nascar touring series. Ask any track owner and they'll probably tell you that is a good problem to have. They'll fit them in somehow and still sell a lot of beer and hotdogs. Where exactly do you want them to race? There are only 3 tracks a half mile or bigger in the northeast?

As far as the schedule goes, it has actually grown the last 3 years. 16 events in 2011, 14 in 2010 and 13 in 2009.

Teds Race Tours
11-19-2011, 01:54 PM
I emailed Lime Rock and they emailed me back. They are hopeful to have it back on the schedule in 2013.

Thats very Disappointing. I thought they were great at LRP. The Great Thing about having an event there, is that if people don't like Mods on ROad Courses, they don't have to go. I loved it.

limodmaniac
11-19-2011, 02:19 PM
The big question is will the LIMM be able to pull off the Riverhead Tour Race again? Last year, there was money from the start. Right now, there is not. I am actively looking for people who want to sponsor a car for the night. 300 bucks gets your name on the side of a modified! You can't get a better deal than that! Please contact me if you'd like to help out. Tour race scheduled for July 28.

JMB
11-20-2011, 05:54 PM

I also see Lime Rock Park has the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series on the schedule for 2012 in September. You know who owns that Series ? NASCAR.

NASCAR is still mad about the K&N being dropped from the Lime Rock schedule, so NASCAR brings in the Rolex Series to replace the WMT. Thanks NASCAR for all of your help trying to keep a WMT race @ Lime Rock. LOL

This has to be the biggest tinfoil hat conspiracy ever posted.

Jaws
11-20-2011, 11:51 PM

http://www.limerock.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=87

I believe they are on the schedule every year, long before the WMT showed up.

The K & N series is probably gone because they didn't make any money off of it. The WMT needed a sponsor and could not get one. There are no conspiracy theories at work here.

Sicklajoie
11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Truck Series gets dropped from Loudon so maybe the mods won't have to be there on Thursday.

MOD11RACER
11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Thats very Disappointing. I thought they were great at LRP. The Great Thing about having an event there, is that if people don't like Mods on ROad Courses, they don't have to go. I loved it.

I agree. I liked going to Lime Rock and watching the Modifieds. Also the drivers like running Lime Rock and it paid a full purse.

MJProcko
11-23-2011, 02:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/7268252/nascar-tension-lurking-sprint-cup-nationwide-camping-world-truck-series-garages
After reading this story on ESPN, I'm not expecting to much this year. With the troubles at the top levels of Nascar we have to be realistic. It's still the best game in town but economics are what they are.

limodmaniac
11-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Correct.. and tho I'm sure there won't be any surprises, the rumor is that the schedule may be announced today.

MOD11RACER
11-23-2011, 04:15 PM
We will be lucky to have 14 races in 2012. No road course races and no new tracks. I was hoping Waterford was going to be back on the schedule in 2012, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

The Truck Series has only 22 races on the schedule in 2012. Not a very good sign of the times.

CuriousGeorge
11-23-2011, 06:41 PM
We will be lucky to have 14 races in 2012. No road course races and no new tracks. I was hoping Waterford was going to be back on the schedule in 2012, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

The Truck Series has only 22 races on the schedule in 2012. Not a very good sign of the times.

Hopefully this is the low point, and it only gets better in years to come.

ModTourMan
11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Times are so tough right now. I have no problem with the Tour holding firm and keeping it's core tracks and races intact while we all weather the storm. I'm a bit more optimistic lately that things may be getting better soon...I'm with CuriousGeorge in hoping that we are seeing the worst of things now and we can start thinking about expanding the Tour schedule again real soon.

bud
11-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Well with all the people and sponsors NASCAR has dumped on while things were going good for them let's hope they have a short term memory.....lol

limodmaniac
11-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Seems like a lot of the races have been officially or unofficially confirmed already. Don't quote the exact dates. I haven't heard anything on Lime Rock, Monadnock or Canada so I left them off.

July 14th NHMS
July 28th Riverhead
Sept 22nd NHMS

Look at the schedule and the biggest problem with it ( besides lack of races) is the gap between May 25 and July 14. Rumor has Canada in June, but some of the rumors now has Canada being very iffy on the schedule. Other rumor has Monadnock in May, but maybe if June is empty, they will have it in June instead. Of course, another race at Thompson could be a possiblity. That would fit in nicely in June too. So would a race at Waterford.

BigMac
11-29-2011, 05:34 PM
I 'd like to see another signature event in March or early April. A Saturday show at Bristol or Martinsville on Cup weekend would be ideal. I know its not in the cards for 2012 but if either track committed to a spring show it would be nice.

JMB
11-29-2011, 05:40 PM
There would be no room in the pits at Martinsville or Bristol on a Saturday with Nationwide\Trucks and Cup teams already there.

MJProcko
11-30-2011, 01:44 AM
agree with big mac and jmb, a friday night under the lights race there would be sweet.

Acadia
11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
There's only one race between the Apr 29 Sizzler and the July 14 NHMS. There's 13 weeks between the Sizzler and 7/14 NHMS races, with only one race in between. Need to fill in that HUGE empty space.

Canada? Sounds great but what benefit does it bring the Tour? There was nothing but complaining about costs and the travel last year. Need to be a little more practical. Yeah, Bristol carries just about the same burden, but there's history and prestige there. The Canada track was just another 1/2 mile short track. I'm going for another Thompson event and then maybe add a track in Maine to fill that empty space.

July 14th NHMS
July 28th Riverhead
Sept 22nd NHMS

CTtoPA
11-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Talk about painting yourself into a corner. Vast majority of the races at two tracks in the same vicinity. Not much of a "tour"!

Acadia
11-30-2011, 06:39 PM
It would be great to get that third Loudon race back.

Anybody think that the Mods can hold their own or do you think it has to be combined with another series?

BigMac
11-30-2011, 06:52 PM
There would be no room in the pits at Martinsville or Bristol on a Saturday with Nationwide\Trucks and Cup teams already there.

Like I said, its not going to happen this year but if pitting was the only issue it could easily be overcome. In all honestly, does it matter where they pit? Roll the carts across the track like they do at Thompson and Stafford and go racing.

As far as the schedule goes, that is what has been released thus far. The gap between May and July may not end up being so bad. I'm sure Monadnocks date will fall in there somewhere.

Acadia
11-30-2011, 06:56 PM
At Loudon, when they run out of room in the infield because of all the Cup, Nationwide, and Trucks, the Mod haulers are parked outside.

Howie
12-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Mark down Waterford June 23rd on your schedule for a Saturday night WMT race.

MJProcko
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Mark down Waterford June 23rd on your schedule for a Saturday night WMT race.

Good news but not suprising. Waterford needed to get back in the game.

Axel
12-01-2011, 04:31 PM
fantastic news. One of my favorite tracks and good to see them back.

I will go -- a late birthday present for me.

Revscott
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Should just rename it the CT Mod tour. This is why it will never grow to a national audience folks.

limodmaniac
12-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Apr 15: Thompson Icebreaker
Apr 29: Stafford Sizzler
May 12: Monadnock
May 25: Stafford
June 23: Waterford
July 14: NHMS
July 28: Riverhead
Aug 3: Stafford
Aug 9: Thompson
Sept 9: Thompson
Sept 22: NHMS
Sept 30: Stafford Fall Final
Oct 14: Thompson World Series

I'm guessing Canada is out... only other rumor is maybe another Thompson race. Anyone hear anything else?

Howie
12-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Should just rename it the CT Mod tour. This is why it will never grow to a national audience folks.

Never grow to a national audience? Hard to get a national audience for cars unique to the northeast. Do you remember when modifieds ran a big portion of the tracks in the northeast as the headline division on a weekly basis? Do you remember when the WMT ran in a much bigger area of the northeast than they do now? (Who do you blame for that not being the case anymore?) I'm sorry, but I'll take a "CT Mod tour" (including Riverhead, Monadnock, NHMS and maybe a few others as part of CT) over the "National" K&N Series were people I never heard of run at tracks too far away for the loyal fans to travel to every race. Times have changed, none of the touring divisions are "growing" are they?
Just my opinion.

Magicshoes12
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm guessing Canada is out... only other rumor is maybe another Thompson race. Anyone hear anything else?

I would say Mad Dog should go in @ June 9 or June 16.....June 9th to me would make more sense, seeing it would fill in 2 weeks after stafford and 2 weeks before waterford...Hopefully they come back to the schedule for 2012!!

BigMac
12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Waterford is a welcomed surprise. You can't go wrong with another Saturday Night short track race.

bud
12-01-2011, 07:39 PM
The sparks will fly at waterford! Oh yeah!

Jaws
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Never grow to a national audience? Hard to get a national audience for cars unique to the northeast. Do you remember when modifieds ran a big portion of the tracks in the northeast as the headline division on a weekly basis? Do you remember when the WMT ran in a much bigger area of the northeast than they do now? (Who do you blame for that not being the case anymore?) I'm sorry, but I'll take a "CT Mod tour" (including Riverhead, Monadnock, NHMS and maybe a few others as part of CT) over the "National" K&N Series were people I never heard of run at tracks too far away for the loyal fans to travel to every race. Times have changed, none of the touring divisions are "growing" are they?
Just my opinion.

Bravo, I could have no said it better. The tour has traveled to some great track in its history that were outside on Ct.

But the core of cars and fans are right here. Good racing, good tracks and I can be home in bed that night!

Acadia
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM

How long have the Modifieds been trying to go national? That's news to me.

Jeepers, the NWSMT is a recent experiment to bring modifieds outside the northeast that is barely surviving.

Revscott
12-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Yes Howie this I know. I was just surprised after the last 20 pages on a thread of " How will Nascar try and help"? everyone went from expansion to being happy with Waterford. Yes that is the sign of the times for the Modified tour and I agree I will take it over the k@n series anyday.

Acadia
12-02-2011, 07:35 AM
It's a very regional thing.

;)

Apparently, only the northeast has an appetite for Modifieds.

worm
12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
but we go to riverhead li and bristol ,now thats touring

fastbackss
12-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Just my opinion.

I agree with your statements. But, if that is the case, and we resign ourself to the fact that it is a regional tour - we cannot expect to be supported like a national division, can we?

I think that is the dilemma. The purses are small and have not grown, in part because it is a regional tour. But everytime NASCAR tries to schedule something to grow the tour (in terms of geographical area - to potentially expand the audience, and in my opinion make it a more lucrative TV purse), the amount of b*tching on here is obscene.

So, for right now, my own opinion is the best thing is to make the current tour as healthy as it can be and not overextend the teams. Once the base is solid present a moderate growth plan that expands the audience and allows teams to chase a different group of sponsors.

Acadia
12-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Look, the RoC turf is NY State to the west, MRS has established itself as the northern New England Tour with forays into NWMT territory. So the northeast where modifieds are popular are being served by three tours.

Growth is not an issue. Right now, contraction is a concern. We have to maintain what we have.

What disturbs me the most is the lack of sponsorship representation on the cars. The tours need genuine sponsorship, not hobby sponsorship. We have to figure out a way to get exposure so real sponsors will sign up. TV coverage can only happen if there will be viewers.

Once more people see this class of racing, they will be hooked. So how do we get more exposure?

I'm surprised that Beech Ridge isn't on the schedule. I travel up there once in a while and racing is popular in the region. You can see racing flags and banners on houses in the area, and many houses have a some sort of racing car parked off to the side.

JMB
12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Look, the RoC turf is NY State to the west, MRS has established itself as the northern New England Tour with forays into NWMT territory. So the northeast where modifieds are popular are being served by three tours.

Growth is not an issue. Right now, contraction is a concern. We have to maintain what we have.

What disturbs me the most is the lack of sponsorship representation on the cars. The tours need genuine sponsorship, not hobby sponsorship. We have to figure out a way to get exposure so real sponsors will sign up. TV coverage can only happen if there will be viewers.

Once more people see this class of racing, they will be hooked. So how do we get more exposure?

I'm surprised that Beech Ridge isn't on the schedule. I travel up there once in a while and racing is popular in the region. You can see racing flags and banners on houses in the area, and many houses have a some sort of racing car parked off to the side.

Beech Ridge could have a race a piece from ACT, PASS, and MRS and it probably would cost them less than 1 WMT race. They concentrate more on their weekly stuff(Thursday and Saturday night) without bringing really expensive tours. I think PASS actually rents the track from them for their usual big September weekend and might to the same for the other shows there too.

limodmaniac
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey, great news! Just read that the modifieds are going back to another track they used to race on - Clearfield, PA. Race is going to be in July. A little shocked that a new track , just starting out can afford a big tour purse like this. Hope it's not a flash race!

Oh wait.. sorry.. I misread it.. Wasn't the modifieds after all... stupid me.. I should read more carefully next time.. Oh well, We already have a race at Loudon that weekend!!!

burtmyers1
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
How long have the Modifieds been trying to go national? That's news to me.

Jeepers, the NWSMT is a recent experiment to bring modifieds outside the northeast that is barely surviving.

What do you mean "experiment"? We've been down here just as long as yall have..........

RGeeProductions
12-02-2011, 11:26 PM
What do you mean "experiment"? We've been down here just as long as yall have..........

I think his reference was towards "NASCAR' sanctioning.
I loved SMART myself...

JWfor8x
12-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Hey, great news! Just read that the modifieds are going back to another track they used to race on - Clearfield, PA. Race is going to be in July. A little shocked that a new track , just starting out can afford a big tour purse like this. Hope it's not a flash race!

Oh wait.. sorry.. I misread it.. Wasn't the modifieds after all... stupid me.. I should read more carefully next time.. Oh well, We already have a race at Loudon that weekend!!!

I saw the modifieds at Clearfield the year after Richie Evans died. That year, there was a raffle held at every race on the schedule to benefit his family, except for Clearfield. They didn't allow it because it was gambling. I know that there are different owners now, but that still sticks in my craw. Oh well, I guess it's better that the K+N series will be there than at Loudon.

bud
12-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Why does it have to be national TV coverage? Why can't the "tour" sell a package to atleast show highlights and do driver interviews.... Maybe at a race shop or 2 and see the package at a near break even deal to promote the series on a
Local level. I'm sorry if I come across as an a$$ at times but it bothers me that so little effort is put into promoting this series. There are so many lil things like 1/2 way sponsors and more. Sometimes its the little things that snowball to make a big difference. Anyone here ever here of Charlie Moore? Started out with a 10 min segment on nesn and now doing his own deal on ESPN.....

Sicklajoie
12-03-2011, 10:02 AM
^^^Kind of like Ben Dodge's Raceweek show back in the '80s.

bud
12-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Exactly. Gives local sponsors a lil air time yet not as hard a sell as speed or verses. A person might come across the show and say wow these guys run right here in my back yard! A plus for everyone teams, sponsors, series sponsor and NASCAR. If stafford can have a show why can't the tour? Ben would be the perfect person to do this too. Now if we could get Jason or someone at NASCAR to listen..... Maybe even limm as a co host!

Rentawrench
12-03-2011, 11:02 PM
It All comes down to MONEY. Who is going to pay to have the show produced?

Tim Deroin OWNED Raceweek, was the camera man, the editor, the producer, Ben Dodge was the Hired on air guy . "TV Timmy" is a SPEED channel director, now. Bob Dillner had a show based on Long Island racing an the Tour,where is he now. The shows were stepping stones in their employment.

Next you say "Hooters Pro Cup" Hooters paid for the show,an sold it to the channel ( an bought Most of the Ads)

Linger Group Productions ,had a couple Great shows Speedworld & Thursday Night Thunder ,what happened ? The 800# Gorilla eat them up.

The IRL paid the bills for TV for that series what channel did you watch them on.

TV races are NO where near as LIVE in person racing, Support the tracks near you an maybe travel IF you can. Teams could race more IF the rules for All the Mods were the Same.
ROC, MRS & the tour need Common rules ,but each wants the cars to stay with them, same with the SK's Thompson ,Waterford & Stafford have 3 different set of rules, an SST an even different.

limodmaniac
12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Monadnock - May 12 - Whelen Tour Race. Please try to put this one on your calendar. Let's pack the track to show our support of the modifieds on the short tracks.

limodmaniac
12-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Thats the schedule so far. Does any one think Canada will still be on the schedule? Or will Thompson get one extra race between Stafford and Waterford? Or after Waterford? Or will there still be one more surprise in store?

LegendCar20
12-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I bet those are the 14 races. No Canada. Too much clashing with the new promoter on dates.

limodmaniac
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Will the schedule be released at the banquet?

RGeeProductions
12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Usually so Jim.

BigMac
12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Usually so Jim.

I don't recall that being the trend. If so, why not just announce that it will be released at the banquet. Last year it came out in early Nov. I'm still hoping the late schedule release will render one more surprise. Not that anything is wrong with the 14 races announced thus far. Either that or they are firming up the other series before they release them all at once. LI must be pulling his hair out waiting to see that K&N schedule, Ha!!

Acadia
12-07-2011, 06:19 PM

The southern tour has been NASCAR sanctioned since '05, and car counts above 20 are unusual, and that includes the northerners that run the southern tour. If not for those northerners, things would be pretty bleak. These last couple years up here have seen barely full fields and rarely DNQs, and that has been very unnerving. I'm sure your tracks can start more than the <20 that are showing up. So to be NASCAR sanctioned for some 7 years and so few cars are showing up is not a very successful experiment. I'm surprised since that region is a hotbed for racing, but I guess it is a full-fendered flavor market.

burtmyers1
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Before ASA(2003-2004) or Nascar(2005-Present) got the sanctioning bug we had the SMART Tour. Car counts averaged around 25 if not higher and A LOT more Stadium regulars ran it. The schedule, ironically, hasn't really changed all that much. The thing that has changed the most is cost and with sanctioning that comes naturally, although, with Nascar the price rises even more.

Yes the Southeast is a racing hot bed, but for Late Models. The once Busch North series now for the most post runs below the Mason-Dixon. That is not because fans prefer fenders, its because of Mooresville, NC and where the future Cup talent is coming from

Howie
12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Canaan Fair Speedway (where the VMRS ran Ricky's Race last year) announced the asphalt track will run under the NASCAR banner in 2012. Could a WMT race be in their future also?

limodmaniac
12-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Canaan Fair Speedway (where the VMRS ran Ricky's Race last year) announced the asphalt track will run under the NASCAR banner in 2012. Could a WMT race be in their future also?

My first thought to this ... there's no way that Canaan would/ could have a WMT race.

But then again, it would be a twist and surprise.. So who knows?? Maybe !

http://www.canaanspeedways.com/home.html

Magicshoes12
12-09-2011, 07:44 AM
My first thought to this ... there's no way that Canaan would/ could have a WMT race.

A lot of people said that about Twin State, and they ended up getting one back in 07 or 08.

I have to say out of all the races I went to, besides the 50 lap dash for cash @ Thompson, Canaan was the best Modified race I went to all year...especially after driving over from Loudon earlier in the day only to watch cheater win!! LOL. Yes the stands are crappy but the track and the racing that the track produces is an awesome modified track!! It was my first time there and I am going back next year for the MRS race and definitely would be there in a heartbeat if the WMT is going to be there!!

Teds Race Tours
12-09-2011, 12:02 PM

THERE IS SOMETHING GIGANTIC COMING TO CANAAN FAIR SPEEDWAY IN 2012. COME FIND OUT ALL ABOUT IT ON SATURDAY, DECEMBER 17TH AT CANAAN HALL. Can we guess that the LIMM will be making a trip up on the 17th to keep us all informed?

limodmaniac
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I will be the first person on Teddy's bus to go!

RacnJason00
12-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I have heard from multiple sources that Beech Ridge is going to get 150 lap tour race..

RacnJason00
12-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Beech Ridge could have a race a piece from ACT, PASS, and MRS and it probably would cost them less than 1 WMT race. They concentrate more on their weekly stuff(Thursday and Saturday night) without bringing really expensive tours. I think PASS actually rents the track from them for their usual big September weekend and might to the same for the other shows there too.

PASS rents Beech Ridge for the May 5th Pass Race and Pass 300 weekend but not the July 7th race.

MOD11RACER
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Put this thread to bed.

14 races for 2012.

Howie
12-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Put this thread to bed.

14 races for 2012.

Might as well wait until it is officially released Wednesday, I guess.

14 races looks like that is it, probably -

Stafford - 4 races
Thompson - 4 Races
Riverhead - 7/28
Waterford - 6/23
Bristol - 8/22
NHMS - 7/14 and 9/22
Monadnock - 5/12

rim runner
12-13-2011, 10:47 AM
A lot of people said that about Twin State, and they ended up getting one back in 07 or 08.

I have to say out of all the races I went to, besides the 50 lap dash for cash @ Thompson, Canaan was the best Modified race I went to all year...especially after driving over from Loudon earlier in the day only to watch cheater win!! LOL. Yes the stands are crappy but the track and the racing that the track produces is an awesome modified track!! It was my first time there and I am going back next year for the MRS race and definitely would be there in a heartbeat if the WMT is going to be there!!

And how many WMT races has TSS had since then??

You guys need to come to your senses, the max seating capacity at Canaan is only 2000 people; that's 1500 people less than Monadnock, and 2500 less than TSS.

Anyone who thinks a 2000 seat race track could ever afford the WMT is smoking skunk weed.

rim runner
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I have heard from multiple sources that Beech Ridge is going to get 150 lap tour race..

Your sources are wrong.

RacnJason00
12-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Your sources are wrong.

And who r u to tell me my sources are wrong. How the hell do you know they didn't come straight from track management that they was trying to get a Whelen Mod Tour race? Man some damn people always seem to think they have all the answers and they no Jack Sh#t!! That's whats wrong with America.

Magicshoes12
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
And how many WMT races has TSS had since then??

You guys need to come to your senses, the max seating capacity at Canaan is only 2000 people; that's 1500 people less than Monadnock, and 2500 less than TSS.

Anyone who thinks a 2000 seat race track could ever afford the WMT is smoking skunk weed.

First I was making the point that people said TSS would never had one, and they did. Doesn't matter if they went back or not, they still went there when people said never would happen.

Also Riverhead has roughly 2000 seats, so your battle is lost there too

Howie
12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
And who r u to tell me my sources are wrong. How the hell do you know they didn't come straight from track management that they was trying to get a Whelen Mod Tour race? Man some damn people always seem to think they have all the answers and they no Jack Sh#t!! That's whats wrong with America.

Jason, don't let his posts bother you. You (and others) have battled with him on another forum (or forums) (he uses a different name there), it is just the way he posts, don't take it personal.

RacnJason00
12-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Jason, don't let his posts bother you. You (and others) have battled with him on another forum (or forums) (he uses a different name there), it is just the way he posts, don't take it personal.

10-4 Howe Dog

Revscott
12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
The rumors were just that, 14 it is.

Mod Squad
12-14-2011, 02:21 PM
http://hometracks.nascar.com/2012_nascar-whelen-modified-tour_schedule_announced

Howie
12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
The 14 race schedule, just announced is - (Richie will have the full story on the front page later.)

DATE RACE/VENUE
Apr 15 Icebreaker Thompson International Speedway
Apr 29 Tech-Net Spring Sizzler pres. by CARQUEST Stafford Motor Speedway
May 12 NWMT Monadnock 5/12/12 Monadnock Speedway
May 25 Connecticut Classic 125 Stafford Motor Speedway
Jun 23 NWMT Waterford 6/23/12 Waterford Speedbowl
Jul 14 New England 100 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Jul 28 NWMT Riverhead 7/28/12 Riverhead Raceway
Aug 3 Stafford 150 Stafford Motor Speedway
Aug 9 NWMT Thompson 8/9/12 Thompson International Speedway
Aug 22 UNOH Perfect Storm 150 Bristol Motor Speedway
Sep 9 NWMT-NWSMT Showdown Thompson International Speedway
Sep 22 New Hampshire 100 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Sep 30 CARQUEST Fall Final Stafford Motor Speedway
Oct 14 World Series Thompson International Speedway

limodmaniac
12-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Thats the schedule so far. Does any one think Canada will still be on the schedule? Or will Thompson get one extra race between Stafford and Waterford? Or after Waterford? Or will there still be one more surprise in store?

Guess, there were no surprises!

BigMac
12-14-2011, 05:52 PM
13 of them were locked down back in October. Why the long wait?

NWMT PR
12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
13 of them were locked down back in October. Why the long wait?

NASCAR will not publish the entire schedule until all tracks have returned each and every signed sanction agreement.

MJProcko
12-23-2011, 05:30 PM
The K&N East series makes trips to Bristol, Loudon, Richmond, and Dover on CUP weekends for 2012. The WMT goes to Bristol and Loudon..... who owns which tracks should tell you which series is the preferred series by the folks at Daytona. We won't even get into purses, point funds or TV deals.

I don't know which is worse, the fact that they claim the K&N series has been around since '87 as if it has any resemblence to the old Busch North series or the fact that they are proud of what they turned the old BGNN series into...... It's too bad really, with half the effort put into expanding the Kiddies & Nepotism series, they could really advance Modified racing as well as Nascar's short track fan base. Afterall what is the business model for the K&N, to introduce 14yo to their CUP base yet how many of them have moved up the ladder this year despite all the vacancies.... they just rehash the same drivers.

Here is some free advice for Nascar - you've got dwindling car counts in GN and Trucks so take the K&N pkg. put truck bodies on them and allow the truck teams that can afford and want to keep their CUP drivers to merge into the GN series. afterall what is the GN & Truck series now? with the exception of a handful of teams it's just a playground for CUP drivers who eat up all the money and sponsors.... that's why you can't develop any young talent, they are getting lapped by Kyle Busch and another million dollar sponsor.

Then you move the Mods into the areas vacated by the original K&N series like Richmond. pretty simple really.

limodmaniac
12-23-2011, 07:35 PM
And K and N gets a Saturday to race at Bristol.... don't get me started.. Merry Christmas to everyone and a bah humbug to Nascar and the K and N series. I will be buying tickets to South Boston this year, even though I can't make the mod race just to show my support of them keeping the mods and dumping the K and N. And I will tell them this when I purchase the tickets!!!

BigMac
12-23-2011, 08:21 PM

Sounds like they found enough room for the K&N Series.