PDA

View Full Version : 2012 schedule?

limodmaniac
10-27-2011, 06:55 PM
From Area Auto Racing News, it mentions the possibility of no M R S race at Twin State or Canaan? It does, however, mention Star as a possibility. Does any one know if they are planning to still have Ricky's Race if Twin State and Canaan are gone?

Would M R S ever go to Devils Bowl in VT or go back to White Mountain?

Would Monadnock agree to more than two races?

And how do we get Dwight Jarvis back running the full tour???

uticamike
10-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Racer Mike Bruno reportedly has purchased Devils Bowl from the Richards. I'm assuming it's staying asphalt. They are leasing the Albany Saratoga Speedway to Howie Commander of Lebanon Valley fame. (the dirt is already going back on). I wish they would have a MRS at the Bowl, and another at Airborne.

bud
10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Rickys race could move to monadnock.... not sure why Canaan wouldn't want them back with the crowd they had! Twinstate has some behind the scenes issues just my opinion...... star would be awesome. Extra races at mad dog two thumbs up. I think the thurs. Shows at Thompson are a turn off to Dwight. Again just my opinion. God I love the mods at lee!!

LegendCar20
10-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Rumor is Canaan is having economic issues with the weekly stuff and the hurricane certainly didnt help.

Mad-Dog has no set dates yet.

Like Bud said, TwinState has their own issues.

limodmaniac
10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
I think I also read in Area Auto that Devils Bowl was staying asphalt. Would that be a good track for the mods? I've never been there. Don't know much about it.

BigMac
10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Rickys race could move to monadnock.... not sure why Canaan wouldn't want them back with the crowd they had! Twinstate has some behind the scenes issues just my opinion...... star would be awesome. Extra races at mad dog two thumbs up. I think the thurs. Shows at Thompson are a turn off to Dwight. Again just my opinion. God I love the mods at lee!!

I agree, give another show to Monadnock, Lee and/or Star and call it good. I also agree the MRS schedule would be fine without Thompson.

SUfan
10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Jim I was at Devil's Bowl to see racing both on pavement and dirt and I suspect it would be ideal for the Modifieds, although a sharp turn one would present a challenge to drivers. It would be neat to see the Mod's there. A VMRS Rep. was there in 2009 to check the place out and gave it his approval. The problem is location. It's just minutes from the NY border. Would it be enough of a draw from fans to make it profitable for the track? Is it too far for the teams from southern New England to support it?

MOD11RACER
10-29-2011, 01:50 PM
I hope they don't replace the Open Race with an MRS event. Star should stay with the Open Modified Race. It takes time to make it a big Annual event. If Star sticks to the Open concept it will become very succesfull. We don't need another 100 lap save your tires for the last 20 laps race.

phillie
10-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I think with Dwight it comes down to a couple things. Money. and been there done that. (championships) I have been helping him for a while and I see him picking and choosing races to have fun and going to the tracks he likes a lot. I hadn't heard much about not going back to Canaan as far as I knew things went well and all parties were happy. I did hear that TSS probly would not happen this coming year. I would love another Wmmp show but last time they were there there was a dispute with officials from mrs and wmmp so they have not been back. I know the series has tried it was always a good show there except one race was awful. I would like to see Thunder Road back on the schedule too.

rim runner
10-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I think Star almost has to be a MRS event to get a decent car count. A lot of the weekly runners there were once on the MRS and most of them got spanked pretty badly and I don't think they have any interest in testing themselves against the big dogs in an open competition format. IMO the tire issue was just an excuse for some wimps to not get their butts handed to them on their own track - pretty disgraceful given the money that was put up.

TSS is run by a fool who is unwilling to learn from his mistakes. He has brought in most of the regional tours in New England at one time or another, and in almost all cases bridges have been burned. The weekly program there is just awful (with an average of about 6 cars per division), and now that there is concrete around just about the whole place, the race track has been ruined as well for any races with more than 10 or 12 cars in them.

IMO MRS gets no lift from racing there because regardless of day the races are held, it's guaranteed to be one of the smallest crowds of the year for MRS, plus they will tear up a bunch of equipment because the track owner saw fit to take away all the run-off areas. Until TSS gets a new owner and some of the those walls are taken out, it would not be smart for MRS to go back there (although I wouldn't be surprised if they did at some point).

There are a lot of issues with Canaan - the biggest one being that the track has been actively on the market for almost a year now, and there is the question as to who is going to run it next season. Dick Thierren is rumored to be possibly replacing Pete Watson at Lee, and if that does indeed pan out, there is not a clear line of succession at Canaan.

While Ricky’s Race drew a big crowd, in my estimation the race day itself wasn’t coordinated very well, and the event lasted much longer than it needed to or should have been allowed to go on (for a race starting at 5pm, there was no excuse for the main event to almost end before it’s completed distance of 100 laps because of curfew, which is what almost happened this year). I think the race would be better off at Monadnock where that staff is better and more experienced at handling big events.

Thunder Road should be on the MRS schedule, and after the beating at the gate Curley took this season, you would think he would have learned his lesson.

It’s no secret Tom Curley is really starting to show his age with the way he’s running Thunder Road and the ACT Tour. It’s one thing to gamble and come up snake eyes, but anyone with half a brain could see replacing the modifieds with a 100 Tiger Sportsman race on Memorial Day was going to be downer (and it was). The decisions Curley has been making the past couple of seasons have been bad in a lot of cases, and at this point in his career when he seems more interested in protecting or shining up his legacy, you have to wonder if he would be willing to admit he made a huge mistake in not bringing back the MRS?

Don’t dismiss that fact that he’s afraid the modifieds might be more entertaining than his own program either, because that is a factor too.

Modifieds would race well at Devil’s Bowl, and I think there’s a shot they could be on the 2012 schedule. The track has multiple grooves to race in, and I think the modifieds would take to it like a duck to water. There is some history of asphalt mods racing there in the past, so I think a lot of interest could be generated there.

Might not be a bad place to hold Ricky’s Race either, with the advantage that it’s not too far for the folks from southern NE, plus maybe pull in some ROC racers/fans from nearby NY, and even fans from “North of the Border” - I think a big modified race at Devil’s Bowl could be a good draw for Canadian fans too.

mattphoto
11-01-2011, 10:56 AM
I would love to attend the Ricky Miller Memorial Race next year. I wouldn't mind seeing it at Star on Loudon Cup Weekend. Is loudon more closer to epping ?

limodmaniac
11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
June 22 - Stafford

June 29- Lee

July 7- Monadnock

July 14- Canaan

July 21- Oxford

Aug 31 - Stafford

Oct 7 - Seekonk

Oct 21 - Lee

Stafford released their schedule today, and I'm guessing at a few of those, but pretty safe bets.

mattphoto
11-16-2011, 04:30 PM
June 22 - Stafford

June 29- Lee

July 7- Monadnock

July 14- Canaan

July 21- Oxford

Aug 31 - Stafford

Oct 7 - Seekonk

Oct 21 - Lee

Stafford released their schedule today, and I'm guessing at a few of those, but pretty safe bets.

Is the Canaan race going to be the Ricky Miller Memorial Race ??

limodmaniac
11-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Actually don't know, I kinda threw that in the "schedule" but actually I'm not 100 percent about them even having a race, so maybe I should have left it out.. Was just sorta figuring that would be there again. Though I did hear Seekonk also in June. You know how these schedules work.. we get all excited waiting the release and then pretty much its the same schedule as last years.

rim runner
11-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Rumor I heard (take it for what it's worth) is that Ricky's Race is being moved to Monadnock at the end of April (the track's opening race I assume) with a slightly smaller purse than what the 2011 race had.

CynthiaTork
11-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I do know the Granite State Pro Stock Series (MRS Lite) is having their opening race at Monadnock in May (Memorial Day weekend, I believe). That race is being run in conjunction with the Ricky's Race organizers and sponsorship, I believe.

mattphoto
11-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I do know the Granite State Pro Stock Series (MRS Lite) is having their opening race at Monadnock in May (Memorial Day weekend, I believe). That race is being run in conjunction with the Ricky's Race organizers and sponsorship, I believe.

so could we see a MRS/Granite Pro Stock Series Doubleheader at Monadnock ??

CynthiaTork
11-18-2011, 08:16 AM
No, that's not what I was implying at all. I just know the Pro Stocks have their opening day at Monadnock with a connection to the Ricky's Race organizers

mattphoto
11-18-2011, 02:41 PM
No, that's not what I was implying at all. I just know the Pro Stocks have their opening day at Monadnock with a connection to the Ricky's Race organizers

oh ok my bad !!! ;)

limodmaniac
11-18-2011, 06:01 PM
But might make sense to have a big combo show at Monadnock that day. Big Memorial Day weekend show, and since Twin State and Thunder Road look iffy, maybe Monadnock wants that weekend for a really big show!

CynthiaTork
11-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Would be a great double bill, but with Monadnock's small grandstands it would be a financial bath for the track, unless they charge Thompson or Jack Arute's Stafford Motor Speedway prices. Which would keep the locals home.

limodmaniac
11-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Here's what I'm guessing. basing this on what I've heard and the fact that tracks hardly ever change the schedules much from year to year.

April 1 - Waterford ( just a guess)

April 28 - Monadnock

June 9 - Seekonk

June 14- Thompson

June 22 - Stafford

June 29- Lee

July 7- Monadnock

July 14- Canaan ???

Aug 4 - Beech Ridge

Aug 11 - Waterford ( Isma is scheduled this week already)

Aug 18- Seekonk

Aug 23 - Thompson

Aug 31 - Stafford

Oct 7 - Seekonk

Oct 21 - Lee

Whats missing is a race in May and a race at Star!!!!

limodmaniac
11-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Just a thought, but maybe Thompson could move their annual June date to May to spread out the season a little bit more. This would also allow Star to have a date for their open show, in June.

BigMac
11-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Would be a great double bill, but with Monadnock's small grandstands it would be a financial bath for the track, unless they charge Thompson or Jack Arute's Stafford Motor Speedway prices. Which would keep the locals home.

From the Monadnock website:

Coming Saturday May 26th...The David's House 106 in memory of Ricky Miller debuting the Granite State Pro Stock Series!!

bud
11-23-2011, 05:27 PM
MRS at Riverhead?

RGeeProductions
11-23-2011, 05:46 PM
MRS at Riverhead?

Wouldn't that be sweeeeet.....

mattphoto
11-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Oxford Plains released their schedule today no Valenti Mods in 2012

limodmaniac
11-30-2011, 08:56 PM
ouch... wasn't expecting that one.

limodmaniac
11-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Just heard it will be a 15 race schedule.

Gil
12-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Won't you be able to find out at the banquet?

limodmaniac
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
And who is going to the banquet and will be the one to get the scoop and share it with us first?

JED
12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
VMRS Announces 15 Race Series For 2012

Springfield, MA. - -Valenti Modified Racing Series founder Jack
Bateman has announced a 15-race schedule for the 2012 season.

Bateman made the announcement last night at the series 8th Annual
Awards Banquet at the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center,
West Springfield, MA.

The 2012 season will kick-off with a two day event March 31 &
April 1, at Waterford, CT., with a return date of August 11.

The series moves to Monadnock Speedway, Winchester, NH.,
April 28, for the first of three events with return appearances
July 7 and August 25.

Connecticut’s Thompson International Speedway ushers in Memorial,
Day weekend Thursday, May 24, with the first of two VMRS events.
The return date is July 26.

Seekonk, MA, Speedway will host three races, June 9, August 18, and
the two-day DAV race Oct 6 & 7.

Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford, CT., will host the VMRS
Friday night June 22 and August 31.

Lee USA Speedway, Lee, NH., hosts the series, Friday, June 29,
and the traditional “Oktoberfest weekend,” October 6 & 7.

The fifth annual Ricky’s Race for Kid’s will be contested July 14,
at Canaan, NH.

The series will also participate at pre-season venues including the
3rd annual Racers Expo in Marlborough, MA., Feb 10 & 11 and
Frank Maratta’s 52nd Annual Auto Show, March 9-11, at the
Connecticut Convention Center.

limodmaniac
12-03-2011, 12:52 PM
April 1 - Waterford

April 21 - Monadnock

May 20 - Thompson

June 9 - Seekonk

June 22 - Stafford

June 29- Lee

July 7- Monadnock

July 14- Canaan

July 26 - Thompson

Aug 11 - Waterford

Aug 18- Seekonk

Aug 25 - Monadnock

Aug 31 - Stafford

Oct 6 - Seekonk

Oct 21 - Lee

BigMac
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I like the May show at Thompson. Fans can hit that show and the WMT show the next night and still have their whole weekend off. No Maine events and no Star kind of sucks.

limodmaniac
12-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Star has a can't miss open show on June 16. And at least we get an extra Monadnock this year!!!

mattphoto
12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
hopefully can make it to Canaan this year !!!

Racerjoe
12-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Very end of scheduled handed out at banquet
TBA - Star Speedway
Hearing poss. Aug 4th.

limodmaniac
12-05-2011, 05:41 PM
That would be great if Star got a race! Also , heard a rumor that the Monadnock race could be moved up one week to April 21.

Revscott
12-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Kind of disappointed the best two shows in Maine are not back on the schedule. OPS is still my favorite track for a mod and its dead this year.

limodmaniac
12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
April 1 - Waterford

April 28 - Monadnock

May 20 - Thompson

June 9 - Seekonk

June 22 - Stafford

June 29- Lee

July 7- Monadnock

July 14- Canaan

July 26 - Thompson

Aug 11 - Waterford

Aug 18- Seekonk

Aug 25 - Monadnock

Aug 31 - Stafford

Oct 7 - Seekonk

Oct 21 - Lee

The May Thompson race has been moved to a Sunday

BigMac
01-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Have they agreed on a date for Star yet?

limodmaniac
01-19-2012, 06:26 AM
My guess is Star is not going to happen. But be there for the June 16 open comp. race. Should be a great race with lots of top drivers showing up!