PDA

View Full Version : Improving the Southern Tour - Lets hear the ideas

Sluggo44
11-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Ed had posted in my other thread on on how the Southern Tour is a joke. Well if you have an idea on how to make things better , lets hear it...

I'll start with 2 suggestions -

1. Raise the purses - $2,000 to win is a joke

2. Keep the rules consistant throughout the season - quit changing them from race to race

I'm sure i'll think of more. Want to be heard? - heres your chance Anyone?....anyone?

worm
11-01-2011, 06:49 AM
what rules did they change

Sluggo44
11-01-2011, 06:58 AM
They kept changing the rule of when crew members were allowed to make minor adjustments to the cars after qualifying. One week they would say one thing...the next it was something different.

Bullfrog
11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Exposure, Exposure!!! Adding a new track to the schedule would be a good start. Not a lot of southern folks know what a modified is and I think if they try to add a track and maybe take away a Caraway event, that would be a good start. I know there has been new tracks added in the past with low attendance, but I think fans will appreciate the mods the more they see them.

I also say....Let them run heat races to qualify. I realize that it may cost more to run more laps and you may jeopardize getting wrecked, but it's exciting for the fans and the racers. Race your way in. All qualify due to car counts, but maybe it could determine the starting positions.

limodmaniac
11-01-2011, 05:09 PM
How would the teams feel about allowing for a tire change? Probably not worth the cost, but maybe could make the races better???

And yup, the purses stink....

Sluggo44
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Advertising the races would help too. Some people don't even know the races are going on till the day of the race. Make a deal with local restaurants , stores ect to where a customer gets a discount ticket to come to the race with their puchase. Have some cars on display at the local businesses to advertise the modifieds.

On the team side - Offer teams more incentives to show. Offer some kind bonus to the leader of the race at halfway point. If the Dirtcar series and the World of Outlaws can do it , why can't we? The sad part is their sactioning body is much smaller than NASCAR. Make teams want to bring their cars out, ...don't scare them away.

NC Mudcat
11-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Larger purse is a no-brainer, but you must have fans in the seats first. Fans will make it easier to raise the purse. Purse goes up, so does car count. Add some new tracks, and run an event with the track's regular LM class. Hear what I am saying there: I hate the local LMSC class, but most fans love it. If you have a mod-only show, you don't draw new fans. Go to a track you haven't been to, and add the mod class to the regular event, put on a good show. The fans came for the LMSC race, but will love the modes, and you'll get them back to another race.

Best rumor I have heard: The Bowman Gray promoters will take over the tour and run it with BGS rules. There have been several races at Ace and Caraway with BG rules, and this could work. At least you could run the same car and rules all year.

worm
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
what rules!

MOD JUNKIE
11-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Larger purse is a no-brainer, but you must have fans in the seats first. Fans will make it easier to raise the purse. Purse goes up, so does car count. Add some new tracks, and run an event with the track's regular LM class. Hear what I am saying there: I hate the local LMSC class, but most fans love it. If you have a mod-only show, you don't draw new fans. Go to a track you haven't been to, and add the mod class to the regular event, put on a good show. The fans came for the LMSC race, but will love the modes, and you'll get them back to another race.

Best rumor I have heard: The Bowman Gray promoters will take over the tour and run it with BGS rules. There have been several races at Ace and Caraway with BG rules, and this could work. At least you could run the same car and rules all year.

If this happens and they run on the late model tires I,m out.......:mad:

EdR
11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Im not sure about all the rule changing stuff so I cant really comment on that.

Purses , raising them is going to be difficult considering the state of our economy . They need to get more tracks(try) not just Caraway. I dont mind caraway but how bout Orange County , Hickory , Ace . Went to second to last caraway race What a snooze fest . How about a Truck/Mod race at martinsville in sept? Car count seems lower than usual. And the Southern Mod tour biggest problem .... BOWMAN GRAY STADIUM Aint no fixin that !

I dont mind a little rubbin n racin BUT damn . People over there get PISSED if someone passes another racer CLEANLY

Danny Bohn said his Bowman Gray car isint tour legal...... I would try and fix that right there. Same rules would mean more cars for possibly both tour and Stadium

SLOW down 09 and 11 car way to fast for everyone else... Not really Hard work paying off Go get boys

Ed

Acadia
12-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Put a couple Modifieds on display at Cup events in the Southern Mod Tour region.