PDA

View Full Version : From the North/South Drivers Meeting

MJProcko
11-05-2011, 01:25 PM
via Speed 51

"There was a vocal surge amongst drivers, led by Matt Hirschman, at the end of the Modified drivers meeting for no heat races tonight. Hirschman and others said that because the schedule is already two hours behind and because it is going to be quite cold later tonight, not running heats will just speed things up for the fans that much more. The cries of the teams were heard by officials and the call has been made for no Modified heats."

I hope all those Heat race rule folks aren't filing out of the stands at this point...... :lol:

Mod Squad
11-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I am glad I didn't go to this one. I thought about it all the way up to yesterday morning. Car counts were low across all divisions. Weather made it a one day show. Then the heat races go away? I went to the first 3 North South Shootouts and by night time it was cold at all of them. The whole idea behind the Shootout was to bring back an event that was fun for fans and drivers. Heat races were part of that. Too bad.

limodmaniac
11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I didnt go to the NS Shootout. If I had been there, and they were already behind schedule, I would have definitely agreed to the cancelling of heat races. All cars were going to qualify. Of course for some of the divisions I would have preferred no time trials at all, and I would have saved the 14 car 100 lapper to the end. If the NS Shootout is all about the mods, their feature should NOT start as late as it did. Sounds like the old Oswego ROC.

jfp711
11-06-2011, 09:38 AM
One of the worst racing cards I have ever seen.....track was seeping water, all the races sucked....track sucked.....what a shame.....
crap car counts.....charles has to be turning over.....

Racer1_NC
11-06-2011, 11:34 AM
The whole idea behind the Shootout was to bring back an event that was fun for fans and drivers. Heat races were part of that. Too bad.

I can assure you that most fans do not like time wasting, meaningless heats. When you have 60 cars going for 30 slots, fine...run your heat races, but when all cars present make the race....heats mean nothing at all and are looked at as tools to sell more hotdogs.

One of the worst racing cards I have ever seen.....track was seeping water, all the races sucked....track sucked.....what a shame.....
It wasn't the best but it wasn't THAT bad either.

Jaws
11-06-2011, 12:10 PM

The race will be back in 2012 and they promised with a year to plan not 2 months it would be a better show. Water seeping out of the track....dam them for allowing rain the 2 days before the race.:rolleyes: Maybe that had something to do with the racing.

RGeeProductions
11-06-2011, 12:26 PM
A good start would be to double the cars counts somehow.....

MOD JUNKIE
11-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Ya know it's a lot of the ***** n complaining that keeps our favorite racing in "it's" box like some of the comments above....thanks for the support.

bud
11-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I can assure you that most fans do not like time wasting, meaningless heats. When you have 60 cars going for 30 slots, fine...run your heat races, but when all cars present make the race....heats mean nothing at all and are looked at as tools to sell more hotdogs.

It wasn't the best but it wasn't THAT bad either.

And time trials aren't a tool to sell hotdogs. Yup I'm on the edge of my seat the whole time.....lol. its so apparent that the first car is .003 seconds quicker than second place. Man its like a photo finish....except one car is missing. It's called RACING for a reason. Hey for the feature we could send the cars out one at a time and time each one for 125 laps. Way less damage that way and pit road wouldn't be such a cluster....lol. OMG In this situation I agree if it was cold and the fans wanted to go home. Why did't they use Sunday for some of the local divisions?

Racer1_NC
11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
And time trials aren't a tool to sell hotdogs. Yup I'm on the edge of my seat the whole time.....lol. its so apparent that the first car is .003 seconds quicker than second place. Man its like a photo finish....except one car is missing. It's called RACING for a reason. Hey for the feature we could send the cars out one at a time and time each one for 125 laps. Way less damage that way and pit road wouldn't be such a cluster....lol. OMG In this situation I agree if it was cold and the fans wanted to go home. Why did't they use Sunday for some of the local divisions?

I RARELY attend time trials, buy hotdogs or watch heat races. I come for the feature.....the RACE that means something.

Personally I wish they had drawn starting spots from a hat rather than time trails....but they didn't and I didn't complain about them not doing things the way I would have. I went to support the race that continued the dream of Charles Kepley. A man that actually put his money where his mouth was rather than argue with people on a message forum.

As for the Sunday idea.......knowing Caraway they'd have charged out the wazoo for an extra day. My thought is run those support classes last or don't run them at all. My ideal race weekend wouldn't include fenders or glorifed go-karts.....but once again, it's not my money and it's not my show.

MJProcko
11-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Some folks really need some cheese to go with that whine!!!

Car count whiners.... Here's your cheese - there was 26 starters, more than the average starting field for 3 of the 4 modified series, including 3 series champions.

Heat race whiners.... here's your cheese - the heat races would have been set on by the TT as usual so the fast cars would have still been at the front of the field. would there have been a pass other than which lane went faster on the start? maybe but with all the cars starting doubtful. Not very exciting but having someone miss a shift to start the heat race when they were guarenteed a starting spot and totaling 5 or 6 cars is much worse.

the other divisions annoy us whiners.... Here's your cheese - Besides the disrespect of the racing community and scorn you deserve from anyone that owns a racecar, you folks do realize that without the support divisions there is no N/S Shootout, there is no modified tours, infact, there are no race tracks so get over yourselves.

to the Charles is turning over whiner..... You don't even get cheese - The Kepley's and folks at C&C have put alot of heart and soul as well as took a huge risk to for the past decade and they deserve alot better, especially in Charles memory.

Racer1_NC
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
You started a thread baiting those that like heat races.....you got a variety of posts with a variety of opinions. Did you expect eveyone to agree with you? Anyone that disagrees is a whiner? Give me a break.....

MJProcko
11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
You started a thread baiting those that like heat races.....you got a variety of posts with a variety of opinions. Did you expect eveyone to agree with you? Anyone that disagrees is a whiner? Give me a break.....

I wasn't baiting those who like heat races I was having fun with the handful of those who think heat races are the reason people show up. Those that disagree with me aren't whiners, they're opinion is theirs..... those whining are whiners. There is a difference.

Mod Squad
11-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Some folks really need some cheese to go with that whine!!!

Car count whiners.... Here's your cheese - there was 26 starters, more than the average starting field for 3 of the 4 modified series, including 3 series champions.

Heat race whiners.... here's your cheese - the heat races would have been set on by the TT as usual so the fast cars would have still been at the front of the field. would there have been a pass other than which lane went faster on the start? maybe but with all the cars starting doubtful. Not very exciting but having someone miss a shift to start the heat race when they were guarenteed a starting spot and totaling 5 or 6 cars is much worse.

the other divisions annoy us whiners.... Here's your cheese - Besides the disrespect of the racing community and scorn you deserve from anyone that owns a racecar, you folks do realize that without the support divisions there is no N/S Shootout, there is no modified tours, infact, there are no race tracks so get over yourselves.

to the Charles is turning over whiner..... You don't even get cheese - The Kepley's and folks at C&C have put alot of heart and soul as well as took a huge risk to for the past decade and they deserve alot better, especially in Charles memory.

Once again, people voicing their own opinions on a public forum being chastised and called "whiners".

Wow, I don't recall slamming anybody for attempting to run the event in Charles memory. I was one of the original supporters and went to three of the first four Shootouts. Those first shows were based on heat races to get in to the show. In fact I remember a young Carl Edwards attempting to qualify for the event.

I'm also aware that there were 26 cars there and that they would all start. That doesn't mean they can't race for starting position in the field. Throw out the time trials and draw for heat starting positions. While some think that’s a reason to sell hot dogs (that’s their opinion and I respect it) others like to watch the heats. So long as they aren’t started heads-up based on time trials.

Not enough time to promote the event, bad weather, competition with The Dirt Track. All these things affected this show. The fact that the current promotion team elected to take the ball and run with it by finding another track to run on is commendable.

Support divisions for this show have changed almost every year. Finding the right mix of cars that will bring good car counts and competition is tough in the first week of November. A lot of weekly racers have empty pockets and wore out race cars by then. It will always be a challenge, but they tried. A suggestion, maybe focus on 2 or 3 support divisions instead of five and concentrate your purses on those two or three. Higher purses might bring more cars for those respective divisions. It’s just an idea so don’t blast me I’m just thinking out loud.

As for running on Sunday, I don’t know if they could charge for another day as the original ticket prices were already for two days on Friday and Saturday. If the event does indeed return in 2012, I will be there, my daughter loves the cars and she’ll have more fun as she’ll be another year older.

Be careful what you post on this board people. If you have a brain and think for yourself from time to time you can be called names. Just like in grade school. That’s Just MY Humble Opinion. Oh by the way it’s JUST racing. LONG LIVE THE MODIFIEDS LOL

Acadia
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Baiting those that like heat races? That is totally laughable. So if you say anything that I disagree with or don't like, I'll accuse you of baiting. LOL

Well, to see drivers speak up and for an event to cancel heat races speaks volumes about the uselessness of heat races when all cars are going to be in the main event.