PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Speedway

limodmaniac
11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
For some reason, the Whelen Tour wasn't even a choice. Let your opinion be heard. I can't believe people voted to see the K and N....

http://airborneparkspeedway.com/

Find them on facebook and let them know also.

JWfor8x
11-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi Jim,
I went to their facebook site and left my opinion there. It might not help, but it can't hurt either.

BigMac
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Its just my opinion but you can't make a track want the modifieds. I don't see it as an injustice as much as they have a different fan base up there. There are bigger issues to get our shorts in a bunch over.

uticamike
11-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I was surprised to see the ROC as one of the choices because on the ROC web site an update about next year includes a statement about the tour

NOT going to Airborne because Perotte is focusing on his weekly stuff and not touring series in 2012. ( I think it's he just doesn't want to pay out the purs

e). The MRS ran there two years ago and they were not on the list at all. ( and had a great crowd for that race as well) Go figure.

JWfor8x
11-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Its just my opinion but you can't make a track want the modifieds. I don't see it as an injustice as much as they have a different fan base up there. There are bigger issues to get our shorts in a bunch over.

You are right, you can't make a track like the modifieds. There is nothing wrong with asking them to be included on their fan poll of what they want to see though. They included the ROC tour on the poll and according to their website, modifieds are one of their regular divisions. I didn't see anyone getting their shorts in a bunch over them not having the WMT. I'm sure that if they did have a tour race, there would be a lot of complaining that Plattsburgh is too far and too expensive anyway for what would likely be a small purse. Still, it really does not hurt to ask them why they didn't put the WMT on the poll and let their fan base vote for whatever they want.

Acadia
11-15-2011, 12:37 PM
They have a survey to see what class of car people would like to see for a one-race special event.

They have listed the RoC Tour Type Modified series as a survey option to cover the Tour Type Modified car class. Makes sense since this is a NY track where RoC has run before, and the RoC is a NY region modified touring series.

I think it would be awkward to see something other than the RoC as a modified option in that survey.

JWfor8x
11-15-2011, 03:07 PM
They have a survey to see what class of car people would like to see for a one-race special event.

They have listed the RoC Tour Type Modified series as a survey option to cover the Tour Type Modified car class. Makes sense since this is a NY track where RoC has run before, and the RoC is a NY region modified touring series.

I think it would be awkward to see something other than the RoC as a modified option in that survey.

Then the survey is already awkward as they have both the K+N and ARCA tours listed. It really doesn't matter as the WMT won't be going there anytime soon anyway.

rim runner
11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
A little background on Airborne:

After years of struggling with a weekly program that put the track on the brink of extinction under two or three different ownership groups, Perrotte and company have one of the strongest weekly programs going in the North County (and in all of the Northeast for that matter) with a weekly field of 35+ DIRT modfieds and grandstands that are always 3/4 or more full. Perrotte's group has also invested over a million dollars in refurbishing the buildings and property, reconfiguring the track, as well as adding a new campground and go-kart track that fans can use on race days.

That said, the seating at Airborne is a pretty limited for a 1/2 track and only seats about 3500 - 4000 people, not nearly enough to make an expensive tour like the WMT a reality.

While it's admirable to see people have such a passion for the WMT, it's also a bit madding that so many fans still don't grasp the reality that most short tracks can't afford that series.

Airborne found a super successful formula of running DIRT modifieds on asphalt that caters to the interest of the fans and racers in an area that's strongly dirt centric, however they won't be paying out $90,000 - $100,000 purses anytime soon (as is the case for most short tracks) regardless of the division.

The next time someone feels the urge to jump off the deep end with WMT, first ask this question - can the track bring in enough people to make a profit after paying a $100,000 fee?

limodmaniac
11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
The purse for the K and N series is just as much as the Whelen Modifieds, and they had them as one of the choices.

Racer1_NC
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
The purse for the K and N series is just as much as the Whelen Modifieds, and they had them as one of the choices.

I wonder if the K&N Series brings it's own purse with it.....or at least the greatest part of it....

SUfan
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Isn't the K&N Purse often higher than the Modifieds? Either way Jim didn't say that Airborne should have a WMT race. All he was asking was why the K&N is on their list and not the Modifieds. And your post rim runner verifies that unless there is some money being offered by someone to host a K & N race, then Airborne would have no business hosting them there, or having them on the list.

JMB
11-17-2011, 08:26 AM
They also have ARCA on the list, but I would imagine they require a much bigger purse than any of the NASCAR reqional tours.

JWfor8x
11-17-2011, 05:05 PM
They also have ARCA on the list, but I would imagine they require a much bigger purse than any of the NASCAR reqional tours.

I think, but am not sure, that the average ARCA purse is somewhere around $150,000.

rim runner
11-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Isn't the K&N Purse often higher than the Modifieds? Either way Jim didn't say that Airborne should have a WMT race. All he was asking was why the K&N is on their list and not the Modifieds. And your post rim runner verifies that unless there is some money being offered by someone to host a K & N race, then Airborne would have no business hosting them there, or having them on the list.

The odds of a K & N race being held there is the same of a WMT; almost nil.

There are a thousand racing series out there, that someone is in a tizzy over the choices of a poll on social media verifies that they have too much time on their hands.