PDA

View Full Version : Blewett Sweeps Turkey Derby Modifieds

LongIslandJam
11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
BLEWETT SWEEPS TURKEY DERBY MODIFIEDS;

PROMOTERS ANNOUNCE NEW THREE YEAR LEASE DEAL

WALL TOWNSHIP, N.J. – Shortly after promoters Diane and Cliff Krause announced that they have secured a deal to lease Wall Stadium for at least the next three years, Jimmy Blewett of Howell found a way to celebrate big time by winning both main events for the Modified stock cars during Turkey Derby XXXVIII. Blewett’s victories and all of the two days of racing events came in front of a near capacity crowd and under warm and sunny skies.

When the 150-lap Touring Modified feature was complete, Blewett was the first to admit he did not have the best car in the race. Still, he was able to lead and then stay in contention as Doug Coby, Matt Hirschman and Rowan Pennink took turns pacing the pack.

The turning point in this one came late during a string of cautions caused mainly by front-runners spinning due to worn tires. Blewett, however, had stopped earlier in the test for new tires and that may have proven to be his winning move. Anthony Sesely of Matawan, Freehold’s Steven Reed, Chuck Hossfeld and Danny Bohn of Mooresville, N.C. completed the top five.

“My crew made me win this race,” a thrilled Jimmy Blewett said after the event. “We did not have the best car today, but my crew just kept digging. The tire change was big and they just kept working on the car to get it better. Near the end things just kept opening up for me on the track, but if it wasn’t for the crew we wouldn’t have been there to take advantage of it.”

The 100-lapper for the SK/Wall Modified cars saw Blewett’s second mount run flawlessly from start to finish. Hirschman and Woody Pitkat were among his challengers in this one, but Blewett was never headed. Hirschman ended up second in this accident-plagued event, with Chas Okerson of Freehold, Pitkat and Howell’s Ken Woolley, Jr. wrapping up the top five.

“My crew also made me win this race,” Blewett said. “They took ever little thing we learned in the first race and made the changes to this car to make it better. They are never satisfied.”

Canadian racer Stewart Friesen was at the top of his game winning both dirt Modified/Sportsman 40-lap main events in a Blewett Motorsports entered car. On Friday, John McClelland, Joey Payne, Steve Folk and Dom Buffalino completed the top five. On Saturday Mike Iles, Zach Aubertine, Tom Carberry and McClelland were second through fifth.

Howie Conk of Jackson won an accident marred 50-lapper for the Street Stocks on Saturday, with Shannon Mongeau of Bradley Beach, Dieek Stachecki, Joe Oliver and Mike O’Sullivan wrapping up the top five. Robin Johnson of Wayne, Pa. won the TQ Midget 25-lapper on Saturday while Jon Gamboti, Zach Martini, Ian Cumens and Randy Cabral completed the top five.

Kevin Eyres of Colts Neck came from the rear of the 25-car field to win the 50-lap Sportsman race on Friday. Brothers Zack and Trevor Alspach, both of Willingboro, were second and third, with Brick’s Robert Sutphin and Holmdel’s Andrew Krause wrapping up the top five.

Mike Alcaro came from the rear of a 29-car field to win the 35-lapper for the Legend Cars on Friday, Todd McCollume, Coby Frye, Billy Cole and Casey Robicheau were second through fifth.

Shannon Mongeau of Bradley Beach won Friday’s 40-lapper for the Factory Stocks leading a field of 36 starters across the finish line. Jim Downey, Howard Bott, Joey Helberg and Glen Osborne were second through fifth.

Jarrod Hayes was tops in the Late Modified 50-lapper on Friday, leading Wayne Helliwell, Rob Ormsbee, Greg Kleila and Scott Wylie to the finish.

Wall Stadium management and staff are already working on plans for the 2012 season. Information will be released as it becomes available.

Wall Stadium presents professional motorsports events on most Saturdays and Sundays during the spring, summer and autumn months. The speedway is located on Route 34 in Wall Township, N.J., just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400, while CKMotorsports@aol.com is the track's email address. More information is also available at www.wallspeedway.com.