PDA

View Full Version : Richie Evans Special

SteveS
12-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Just saw this on Jayski
Richie Evans to be featured in one-hour special: He wasn't born and raised in the South like several of his NASCAR Hall of Fame predecessors. The majority of his racing took place in the Northeast and he wasn't a household name like many NASCAR legends, but New York's Richie Evans will be immortalized alongside those stock car heroes in the 2012 class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Evans, recognized as the "king of Modified racing," captured nine NASCAR Modified championships in 13 years, including a streak of eight consecutive beginning in 1978. He won an estimated 475 feature races, earning him multiple track championships throughout the Northeast. Evans' life and career was cut short, however, when he was fatally injured in 1985 during a practice session at Martinsville Speedway. Afterward, the 44-year-old's #61 became the first and only car number retired in any NASCAR division.
SPEED and NASCAR Media Group celebrate the life and accomplishments of "The Rapid Roman" in a one-hour biography special premiering Friday, Dec. 16 at 8 pm/et. Evans will be inducted into the third class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame on Jan. 20 alongside Cale Yarborough, Darrell Waltrip, Dale Inman and Glen Wood.(much more at SPEED)(12-15-2011)

MOD JUNKIE
12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
I just saw the add on speed tv, can't wait !

ben's club
12-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Link to all the one-hour specials.
http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/search/hall%20of%20fame

JWfor8x
12-16-2011, 01:26 AM
Thanks Steve, I probably wouldn't have known about the show if you hadn't posted that.

Howie
12-16-2011, 09:28 PM
If anyone missed the broadcast, it will be rebroadcast again on the following dates and times.

o 2012 NASCAR HALL OF FAME

o Dec 16, 2011 8:00PM ET Richie Evans
o Dec 16, 2011 11:00PM ET Richie Evans
o Dec 19, 2011 8:00AM ET Richie Evans
o Dec 26, 2011 10:00AM ET Richie Evans
o Jan 6, 2012 9:00PM ET Richie Evans
o Jan 6, 2012 11:00PM ET Richie Evans
o Jan 9, 2012 8:00AM ET Richie Evans

It is a great show for any modified fan to watch.

csg
12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
it was very well done. Definitely worth watching.

Bob T. Racer
12-17-2011, 12:18 AM
I just wished that they would have explained to the viewers what the " Good N U " shirts that Billy and others had on meant. Because if you didn't know Richie, you wouldn't know.

Sicklajoie
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Awesome show.
"Six-pack a lap" :cheers:

JWfor8x
12-17-2011, 03:03 AM
I just wished that they would have explained to the viewers what the " Good N U " shirts that Billy and others had on meant. Because if you didn't know Richie, you wouldn't know.

Bob, I loved to watch Richie race, but certianly did not know him, what did the "Good N U " shirts mean?
I did think it was a really well done show.

wmass01013
12-17-2011, 05:54 AM
I still remember sitting in the stands at Riverside park during practice and you would keep looking over to the right at the top of the hill to see if the BIG ORANGE TRUCK would show up, amd when you did usually COOK, KENT OR SPENCER would not be far behind him and you would say shargri la, or new egypt or spencer speedway got rained out and you watched a helluva race with reggie, gregor and polverari battlin the invaders:wave:

Axel
12-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Damn good show. It was well done and well worth it.

Remember the Rapid Roman!

Jaws
12-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I never met Richie but I beieve when you said hello to Richie and asked how he was he always responded Good and you. "good N U"

JE711618
12-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Whether it was Richie walking up to someone or someone walking up to the group standing around bs'n... Richie would look at the person or pinch you on the back of the arm and before you had the chance to say anything he would say; "Good N' You?".

Val used to do the same thing.

csammy
12-17-2011, 11:33 AM
yes enjoyed the show very much did not realize that riche would run in second to win 6 packs of beer goes to show you what type of fun loving guy he was the one problem i had was that they interviewed the southern whelen tour instead of the northern whelen tour teams more so since he was from the northern part of touring series other then that it was great show

Goldy
12-17-2011, 12:27 PM
The show was awesome, very well done - it was great to see some of his family around the campfire, crew members - and others like Bones talk about our king.. I really didn't want it to end and can't wait to watch it again..

Howie
12-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Whether it was Richie walking up to someone or someone walking up to the group standing around bs'n... Richie would look at the person or pinch you on the back of the arm and before you had the chance to say anything he would say; "Good N' You?".

I think Val and your Dad and Bones did more to keep the "Good N U" tradition alive than anyone. I've still got my orange "Good N U" pin around somewhere.

JWfor8x
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
yes enjoyed the show very much did not realize that riche would run in second to win 6 packs of beer goes to show you what type of fun loving guy he was the one problem i had was that they interviewed the southern whelen tour instead of the northern whelen tour teams more so since he was from the northern part of touring series other then that it was great show

I agree with that, but I think that he did race against Frank Fleming. George Brunnhoelzl lll would probably have been too young to remember him, but his father raced against Richie at least a few times. I was glad to see what Bodine had to say about Martinsville.

JWfor8x
12-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by JE711618

I think Val and your Dad and Bones did more to keep the "Good N U" tradition alive than anyone. I've still got my orange "Good N U" pin around somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the answer. Now there is one less thing , of many, that I don't know.

JE711618
12-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I remember being in the clubhouse for breakfast on Thompson 300 weekend in the early 80's. Sitting at the table with Richie, Val, my father and others. The waitress walked up Val asks; "Can we get some cream for our coffee?" She'd return with some in the tin cup and as soon as she turned Richie says to Val with a grin; "Down it." Val drinks it. She walk by again and Val; "Can we get that cream?" A little confused, she returned with the cream. Richie says; "Do it again." Val downs it. She'd come walkin' by again. Val; "We still need that cream please." Each time she'd return, each time Val would down it, and each time Richie would say; "Do it again. Do it." laughing even harder every time... It's those many little moments that I was reminded of while watching that 1 hr special.

Rabbit504
12-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I remember being in the clubhouse for breakfast on Thompson 300 weekend in the early 80's. Sitting at the table with Richie, Val, my father and others. The waitress walked up Val asks; "Can we get some cream for our coffee?" She'd return with some in the tin cup and as soon as she turned Richie says to Val with a grin; "Down it." Val drinks it. She walk by again and Val; "Can we get that cream?" A little confused, she returned with the cream. Richie says; "Do it again." Val downs it. She'd come walkin' by again. Val; "We still need that cream please." Each time she'd return, each time Val would down it, and each time Richie would say; "Do it again. Do it." laughing even harder every time... It's those many little moments that I was reminded of while watching that 1 hr special.

Good times....

Howie
12-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Bob, I loved to watch Richie race, but certianly did not know him, what did the "Good N U " shirts mean?
I did think it was a really well done show.

I got an email tonight from Bones Bourcier explaining how "Good 'n' You" originated and became so popular.

"Val LeSieur got it from George Pendergast. Richie got it from Val. George, whom everyone was amused by, used to greet everyone that way, and Val kinda borrowed it ... and since Val was a rather entertaining guy himself, his constant use of the phrase obviously caught Richie's ear. And because Richie traveled so widely, it bounced from Agawam to Oswego to Shangri-La to Islip, and so on. The whole Modified world got it from Richie. And it's still something to smile about!"

JE711618
12-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I got an email tonight from Bones Bourcier explaining how "Good 'n' You" originated and became so popular.

"Val LeSieur got it from George Pendergast. Richie got it from Val. George, whom everyone was amused by, used to greet everyone that way, and Val kinda borrowed it ... and since Val was a rather entertaining guy himself, his constant use of the phrase obviously caught Richie's ear. And because Richie traveled so widely, it bounced from Agawam to Oswego to Shangri-La to Islip, and so on. The whole Modified world got it from Richie. And it's still something to smile about!"

Bones to the rescue...

Regarding the 1hr show on Speed, I'm glad they directed it more towards what he meant and will always mean to the Modifieds as a driver and personality. He defines the division. I was really impressed with how they went out of their way show how the division was, how many events they had back then, the huge races and his dominance. I was also impressed with Geoff's final comments on Richie being in the Hall of Fame. Wish they could've interviewed Val, Dick O'Brien, Maynard, Bugsy, Mike Stefanik or some more competitors, but I'm very bias (I woulda preferred a 3 hr special :-) )

csg
12-18-2011, 10:24 PM
great stories guys. keep them coming.

It is nice to have a modified driver in the Nascar hall of fame. When they announced the hall of fame, I was afraid only their so called "big" series would get recognized.

NC Mudcat
12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I was a little disappointed as well with the southern guys instead of the northern guys being a part, although I have great respect for Frank and George, and they did a great job. I would have just preferred a few northerners that raced against him more instead. Otherwise, it's a great show! I really enjoyed it.

stabone
12-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I was a little disappointed as well with the southern guys instead of the northern guys being a part, although I have great respect for Frank and George, and they did a great job. I would have just preferred a few northerners that raced against him more instead. Otherwise, it's a great show! I really enjoyed it.

Ya they missed the boat on that one....And no offense to Frank or George. I think Jamie Tomanio and Stefanik would of been a big hit. With Mike getting to drive one of Richies cars to Jamies animated stories over the years there would of been some classic stuff.....oh well Great show anyways

MOD JUNKIE
12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Was a great tribute and hope it will bring back a bit of pr for the series. I agree that a few of the guys who raced with him being on the show would have been better but still was glad seeing the series on tv like it was.

:applause:

limodmaniac
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Top Ten quotes from 4th graders after their introduction to Richie Evans.

10 - He gives advice to opponents he is about to race!
9- It seems he has never lost.
8- Richie loved to have fun!
7- He knew the only way to win was to work very hard.
6- Richie had that John Wayne cool to him.
5- He wasn't a phony who did it to be a legend.
4- I don't know how it happened, but someone put the rest of the town's snowplows' paint in the shop!!
3- Even though it was 26 years ago, everybody still remembers him today.
2- Richie still has family out there in Rome that still remember the funny and talented Richie Evans.
1 - Richie is still the apple of our eye, bee to our honey, and man to our car!

Axel
12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
LIMM- The fact that you had your 4th grade class watch the Richie Evans special is the most awseomest thing i heard all day. Keep up the good work!

Howie
12-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Good job Jim. Excellent way to keep another generation interested in the history of our sport.

Jaws
12-19-2011, 09:29 PM

4- I don't know how it happened, but someone put the rest of the town's snowplows' paint in the shop!!
2- Richie still has family out there in Rome that still remember the funny and talented Richie Evans.

How come I never had a teacher like you? Lucky I had my dad who took me to see the modifieds. Jim you would have liked him, he went to the car after the modified race was over!

ModTourMan
12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
I never met Richie but I beieve when you said hello to Richie and asked how he was he always responded Good and you. "good N U"

That's correct. I was just another face in the pits to Richie Evans I'm sure, but I was lucky enough to get a "good N You?" from him once in the pits at New Egypt back in the 80's. It was in reply to a quick "Howie Doin" greeting I shot at him as we passed in the pits...kinda cool to think about it all these years later.

Sluggo44
12-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Great work Jim , by showing your class the Richie Evans Special. Wish my teachers showed cool stuff like that in school

JWfor8x
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM

All I can say is that I wish that you were my fourth grade teacher...or my kids.

Steve in NC
12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
all I have to say is....

"When modifieds ruled and Evans was the king!"

or my modern day version....

"Modifieds still rule and Evans will always be the king!"

Acadia
12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
To see all this activity around Richie Evans speaks to his greatness and impact on the sport.

We don't see this happening to often in any sport.

Makes me appreciate how lucky I was to see Richie Evans race.

Several times a season I would find myself thinking, "If only Richie Evans were here..."