PDA

View Full Version : vacuum rule

Easy E
12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Is the vacuum rule changing to 18.5?? Thought I saw it in a post.

Philter39
12-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Though I am not the final answer. I was at the meeting and I believe #18.5 was mentioned as a way to make the engines closer to "stock". The vacuum rule will be the same in 2012. But the possible exhaust pea shooter rule is a cheaper way to "slow" down the cars. phil

tbirdracer
12-16-2011, 05:52 PM
i readed if we don't use pea shooters then vacuum would be 18.5. that is what i remember hen rick and captain had writen about pea shooters. check there chuck

RICK16RACIN
12-16-2011, 08:24 PM
The vacuum rule will be a steady 17 inches ( no fluttering ) and with the 8 cyl.or v6 if you run dual exhaust you must run 1 1/2 outside diameter pipe on the last 1 foot of your pipes. However there is an exception to this rule (in the 8 cyl v6 only ) if you run a STOCK y-pipe and the whole exhaust cant exceed 2 1/2 inches no pea shooter tips are needed . i did the math on this using the 2 1/2 inch pipe with duals and it was enough to cut the big motors down .

Easy E
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
So, I can run a y pipe and max. 2 1/2 inch o.d. pipe? And vacuum is still steady 17 inches. Thank You for the return information.

CJfilms
12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
17" remains....

The only change is HOW we will read the vacuum....no more fluttering up and down and when the needle just catches 17" we say ok....if it is not a steady 17" or, at the very lest, an average of 17" or above, DQ!

This is being lenient. We could just up the number. We could easily say everyone do like Timmy or Howie and have 20+".... In advance, you're welcome. :)

Easy E
12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey man, sound alittle mad the way you worded that. I could give a rats behind what you make it, just would like to know what it was gonna be before 2013! And as far as timmy and howie if they wanna run a quote on quote stock cam thats there choice. But, I know better then to believe everyone is running a STOCK CAM, sorry don't buy that! But thanks for the info. Have a great holiday everyone, Merry Christmas and happy New Year. No need for any replies. I have my info. Thank You

CJfilms
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM
No Way Chuck!! Not trying to sound harsh, but we've heard drivers asking for us to be more lenient in this department....as I've said before, 17" is pretty lenient when most motors came stock at or around 20+" ......changing the rules to 18.5" would rule out a lot of our drivers as is.....

In the tech area, we've seen that some drivers have tuned their motors to run at 17" exactly and when they are having a bad day, the gauge needle is bouncing up and down and is reading anywhere between 15" and 19".......we will usually try to get the best reading possible, but for next season we're not going to ask drivers to MAKE SURE they are able to pull 17" at the very least...and steady.

We'll still take an average reading...for instance:
Bouncing needle...low 16 3/4" and high 17 1/2"....This would be ok....average is still above 17".
Bouncing needle...low 15 3/4" and high 17 3/4"...This would NOT be ok...average is below 17" and there is no steadiness....

As always, Rick and I use common sense in the tech department, you all know we'll never make a quick call without looking into it a little more...we've never and never will just plug in a gauge, say "that's it", unplug it and walk away....all in under 15 seconds... We give you time, we try to figure out if there is a problem with you rather than just tell you to figure it out for the next race... We do NOT want to DQ drivers...we only resort to it if there is no other option...