PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Klayfish
01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Hey all! First, if I missed an FAQ section for newbies, I apologize. I wanted to get some input on what it's like to race in the NEETS series. I live 5 minutes from Grandview, so it would be easy for me to get there. Here's a basic background on me. My racing background isn't deep, and I've never run on dirt. I did a bunch of autox and about 6 or 7 HPDE days at Pocono Raceway's road course. But that was back in '01-'05. Started a family around that time, so time and money have kept me off the track. Now I'm trying to get back into it. With a very limited budget, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get myself on track. I came across this car on Craigslist and that's what got me thinking about running NEETS. http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/2795931277.html Anyone know this car? Or could help me determine if it would be legal to run?

So what advice can you offer? Would someone who's been off track for 7 years be able to come and have some fun in a car like this? I don't have a "pit crew", I'd be doing this pretty much on my own. Even using a minivan and tow dolly as my transporter. :) I'm sure people are competitive, but do they still have fun? i.e. While I want to run the best I can, my goal is to just have fun and be safe. Thanks for any thoughts you can give.

Steve

RICK16RACIN
01-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I am Rick the tech inspector for NEETS , and i believe the car you are looking at is one of our regular competitors car. and yes you can have lots of fun and get some good racing experience , Grandview is a fun place to race !! Look forward to seein you at the track !! go get the car before its gone !!!

Poppop
01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
:wave:Welcome to the forum. I came back after fifteen years or so and havn't regretted it. Have fun but always put safety first and it will follow. Most of us have a very minimal pit crew or none at all and there is always somebody ready to help. Come around to the 47 car and say hello.

Poppop

madbutcher666
01-15-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm in the same boat you are in Steve. This will be my first year racing at Grandview and my first time racing in 20 years. I used to race enduros at Flemington,NJ (if anyone remembers that track). As of right now I only have a race car, no truck to tow it with yet, and no trailer or dolly. Just bought a few tools and some stuff I got from xmas. My pit crew is gonna be my wife, who knows jack about cars lol. Maybe we should park next to each other and she can change both of our tires! I'm here to have fun, seems like a fun bunch of guys that race here, can't wait for this season to start!

Ross

glassmanjtf
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
You guy's will have a great time and lots of people are always willing to help out so just get to the track and it'll be fun !!
Joe #37

BIGDADDY64
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
NEETS is a great organization. All the officials are easy to talk to . 90% of the people in the pits you can asked advice andhelp. pitting usually isnt a problem somebody will jump in and help. I know the people I pitt around are here to have fun. none of us have big racing budgets. finishing good is a added bonus.:lol::lol: also you should be able to meet some great new friends in the process. good luck see ya at the track

tbirdracer
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I was out of racing for 12 years after bad wreck causing head injury. I got back into it and having fun every time. My pit crew is my father and anyone who help (poppop). I only raced there a few times but everyone made me feel at home. From big daddy to poppop and more. Just come out and make our family bigger!!!!!!! driver of the 2EZ ray

Klayfish
01-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!! Would there be anyone around who may be able to help me see if this car is legal to run in 2012? Having three young kids at home pretty much eats the racing budget up (though they want to be a pit crew, just like in the Cars movie...:lol:). Don't want to shell out cash and find a nasty surprise I wasn't expecting. The closer to race ready, the better.

richardpetey
01-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Don't do it, Steve.............:rolleyes:
The NEETS family is great but that dirt takes the hair off your chest..............:eek:
UNCLE PETEY.................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

CJfilms
01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Welcome Steve, I'm Joe, the promoter of NEETS...any questions you may have, feel free to call email or text me! My info is always at the bottom of my post in my "Signature" section.

As for what to expect, it sounds like some of our drivers have already summed a lot of things up...

Except for Uncle Petey....he don't like dirt anymore... :-B But, he has a wealth of information about practically any car you can drive...and he is a legend in the enduro world!

Best advice I can give you is build your car to be safe, race clean and MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN!!!

If you don't have a car ready by the first event, come on out anyways! It is a great chance to meet people, see what the series is all about and get a feel for how the events are ran.

Hope to see you in the pits soon!

Poppop
01-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Don't do it, Steve.............:rolleyes:
The NEETS family is great but that dirt takes the hair off your chest..............:eek:
UNCLE PETEY.................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

That must be what happened to my head then!:help:

Poppop

RICK16RACIN
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I believe the car you are looking at is a car that has raced with us , so its legal , as far as i know !! is the guy who owns it drew ott ? i think its his teams car !!

richardpetey
01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
[Except for Uncle Petey....he don't like dirt anymore...]

Sorry Joe! It ain't the dirt its the mud and flat tires............................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY...............................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Philter39
01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
[Except for Uncle Petey....he don't like dirt anymore...]

Sorry Joe! It ain't the dirt its the mud and flat tires............................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY...............................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

You had a flat tire at Wall on Saturday. You must have magnets in your tires. Or it is those offset rims

phil

richardpetey
01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Pilot Error.......................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY..........................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Thanks for helping with the last minute belt situation Mr. Philter.............................:applause:

NeetsSpectator
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
A magnet may be the solution to all of Petey's flat tire problems.

Install mud flaps in front of the tires.
Put magnets on the bottom edge of the flaps.
Those tire deflating devices will get sucked up before they get a chance to cling to Petey's Badyear tires.

Problem Solved!

richardpetey
01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm OK with that cure.....................:applause:
As long as, the magnet is strong enough to hold back #73's bumper.....................:help:
UNCLE PETEY......................................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

NeetsSpectator
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
I used to race enduros at Flemington,NJ (if anyone remembers that track).

Were you in the Flemington enduro that I have on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpeY6ZWXq_g

madbutcher666
01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeppers! At about a minute into the vid you'll see me in the big bumble bee looking car #103. I was 19 at the time. Car was a '71 Buick Electra with a 455 4-barrel in it. Very fast car! I ran there until 1992 or 1993, can't remember exactly. Car was just way too big and fast for the asphalt and haven't raced since then. I'm really excited to get back into it finally! If you have other Flemington vids put em up! I know you have another on youtube but I wasn't in that race for some reason. I didn't have a trailer so getting a U-Haul back then was hard to find.
Ross

CJfilms
01-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Hmmmm.....a standing start in the mud....wonder if NEETS will be doing anything like that this season.....?????

Poppop
01-21-2012, 07:36 AM
That's how we started at Big D last year. Four wide standing start, but also not too muddy.:lol:

Poppop

Maddawg
01-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Thats the way we used to do it at MVS. the flagger would count us down from 5, wave the flag and run like hell to the flag stand.. aaaah the good old days!!! but remember these were true enduro cars run under true enduro rules----- NOT what enduros have evolved into today.
Maddawg

tbirdracer
01-21-2012, 06:18 PM
I liked the standing start more then the rolling ones. The track at grand is really soupy and most cars lose control coming out of turn 4. bd had less water and standing start caused less wrecks at the start. but up to the bosses!!!

CJfilms
01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
IF NEETS is to have a standing start for a race, the track would still have to be watered down appropriately (Petey, I know what you're going to say! LOL!)...but, we would still have to have the cars pace a few laps and run the track in until it is tacky....

The cars would HAVE to stay packed tight or else it will take a half hour to pack it down and tack it up.......in theory, we could run a few TIGHT pace laps...stop the field on the front stretch or back stretch and then throw the green out.

It is possible....but, a flip of the coin to decide WHICH division is racing first is more than possible too this year.....what time does the ___-Car division start racing?....can't say, be there on time or you might miss the race....

EnduroFromDE
01-27-2012, 08:36 PM
A stop n go start in the mud sounds interesting... Starting next weekend me and my cousin is going to start gettin the blue deuce ready for the View come the end of March