PDA

View Full Version : Whelen Modifieds @ Daytona in 2013

Magicshoes12
02-15-2012, 09:28 AM
http://www.news-journalonline.com/racing/racing-business/2012/02/15/dis-to-add-short-track.html

Modifieds Will have their own event!

NWMT PR
02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
More details to follow with an official announcement at the track this Friday afternoon.

whelenguy
02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Whelen Modifieds and Whelen All American Series Late Models at Daytona in 2013? Short track racing getting more than "lip service"? Can't wait for announcement on Friday at Daytona.

JMB
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I believe something like was proposed in the late 90's\early 2000's. It was going to be something like the Winter Heat Series ESPN showed from Tuscon, but just done on the Daytona backstretch. I believe that fell through when ESPN lost Cup coverage and said they would not air the short track stuff.(even though they still had the Truck contract)

Acadia
02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Flat track, as in zero banking, and a turn radius of about 100-125 ft. That will bring stagger to staggering levels never seen before!

The mods will eat this up!

And the most important part of all this is the media exposure that needs to go with this. All series need exposure, some more than others.

DaFingz
02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
This is not only a great thing for the Tours but it should inevitably breathe some life into the Mods at New Smyrna for next years World Series as well as helping out what Bronson Speedway is trying to start up. You would have to think if NASCAR expects the invited NWMT teams to make the trek to Daytona for a non points race that they would offer some tasty purse money.

Howie
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Am I missing something? (I guess I'll find out Friday). To me it doesn't say the modifieds will be there. It says "The lineup includes drivers from NASCAR's K&N Pro Series East and West; Whelen Modified Tour North and South; and NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Division I, or weekly track." One event (like Irwindale?), one type car (LM?), drivers from those divisions. It'd be nice if it was modifieds, but in any case, it will be a cool deal for short track drivers to race at Daytona.

DaFingz
02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Check out the article The Daytona Beach News-Journal:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/racing/racing-business/2012/02/15/dis-to-add-short-track.html

It looks like a NASCAR LMSC Invitational (kind of like Irwindale did or similar to the race Denny Hamlin puts on at Richmond) and 2 combo features. One K&N East/West invite, and one Whlen Modified Noth/South invite.

Magicshoes12
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Am I missing something? (I guess I'll find out Friday). To me it doesn't say the modifieds will be there. It says "The lineup includes drivers from NASCAR's K&N Pro Series East and West; Whelen Modified Tour North and South; and NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Division I, or weekly track." One event (like Irwindale?), one type car (LM?), drivers from those divisions. It'd be nice if it was modifieds, but in any case, it will be a cool deal for short track drivers to race at Daytona.

Howie, I asked the same thing to Jason because it sounds like that in the article, but he did say, they will all have their own events.

Acadia
02-15-2012, 02:31 PM
It will be a huge non-event if these drivers end up in legends cars. ;)

If they don't run their own cars, what would they drive??? Who would provide these vehicles?

And who would really care?

Drivers from the mods and K&N running some generic car is not going to draw interest.

Does anyone remember the IROC series?

DaFingz
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Any Tour legal modified is eligible to run the Mod event. All NWMT and NWSMT winners from 2012 will have guaranteed starting spots. Same rules apply for the East/West race. The LMSC race will have the top 10 driver's from the final #NWAAS standing plus the NCATS series, NASCAR Mexico and Europe series champs as guaranteed starters. I'm not sure how that is going to work when 3 or 4 of the top 10 in the NWAAS National standings will likely be SK modified drivers (TC, Preece, Rocco, Pitkat). I guess legal LMSC cars will have to be provided for them and the international series champs as they run different cars as well.

Jaws
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
It will be a huge non-event if these drivers end up in legends cars. ;)

If they don't run their own cars, what would they drive??? Who would provide these vehicles?

And who would really care?

Drivers from the mods and K&N running some generic car is not going to draw interest.

Does anyone remember the IROC series?

Wow, no announcement until Friday and we are complaining already?

Acadia
02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Wow, no announcement until Friday and we are complaining already?

If the perceived announcement is that there is no surety in the type(s) of cars running the event, but it is an event for drivers of some as of yet undefined vehicle, then it's not complaining but stating that there will be no interest in the mod drivers running something other than their own series car.

The drivers of the modifieds are not heroes or celebrities, or well known to the public outside the small circle of the series. If the IROC series composed of the elite of the elite drivers was a failure, why would a collection of minor minor league drivers be successful where the elite failed?

I have no interest in even hearing about TC, Silk, Szegedy, Santos, etc. running an event at Daytona in some car other than a mod. For me, it's all about the type of car. I think we follow mods, not drivers. Drivers come and go, but we still follow the mods.

As much as I love the modifieds, it is still an off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-broadway show. The drivers are virtually unknown to the public outside our little world. They need the car that made them what they are to conduct a meaningful event at Daytona.

JED
02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Acadia,

There will be a MODIFIED event as well as a K&N race. Along with a NASCAR Late Model race.
This is not like Toyota All Star event held at Irwindale in the past where one needed a K&N type car. Three divisions of NASCAR short track cars.

Howie
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
With winners and champions from the past year guaranteed starters and running their own cars in their own divisions, it could be a shot in the arm at a time when they could use one. Are we (Mary & I) going to have to plan on going to FL in Feb again?

Acadia
02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah, let's hope that this short track event gets the necessary promotion and exposure.

With the emphasis being that people can see the thrill of awesome racing locally, not just at the Cup events.

Teds Race Tours
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
"Removable concrete barriers will be used to identify the short track course". I'm not an engineer, but this sounds like a possible recipe for disaster. Too many times we wait until after something horrible happens to ask why didnt they do something about this.....we'll i'm asking 1st. Lets say a throttle sticks heading into a turn. You hit the "wall" and move the 1st barrier, but "head on" impact the 2nd one...none of us want to see that. Also, if you are using the main track as part of the racing surface, at some point in the middle of the corner, you'd be facing a head on wall in front of you, not a progressive sweeping turn like you'd have anywhere else. I really would hate for Don Pratt's Death at Pocono to be completely forgotten, and possibly repeated.

I'd really love to see a state of the art half mile built somewhere right next to the speedway, in the parking lot of something. You could still use the short track for parking when its not being used, and it would provide a MUCH safer, and probably a better racing product. Just my 2 pennies worth.

burtmyers1
02-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Good to see someone paid attention to most important part of the article Ted.

Every one just picture some concrete barriers in an oval on a flat surface. Seems like a great idea for a track to put on a great product.........

Also why do this when there is one of the best short tracks in the country 20 minutes away? One has to wonder what kind of part if any New Smyrna played in this

gtx469
02-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Good to see someone paid attention to most important part of the article Ted.

Every one just picture some concrete barriers in an oval on a flat surface. Seems like a great idea for a track to put on a great product.........

Also why do this when there is one of the best short tracks in the country 20 minutes away? One has to wonder what kind of part if any New Smyrna played in this

two words why New Smyrna is null and void ROBERT HART, nuff said.

MJProcko
02-15-2012, 09:30 PM
When I posted on a couple of occasions that a modified race was needed in Florida put on by the good folks at Nascar to celebrate short track racing I figured they never read my posts..... your welcome :-)

as an added bonus the Richie Evans 100 at NSS should have a great turnout!

csg
02-15-2012, 10:39 PM
this is interesting news. Welcome news. This is the first news I have heard regarding the tour that has me excited since the announcement of the tv package. This should help the modifieds get some television exposure during a time when there is high concentration of people are paying attention to Nascar. It should introduce Nascar Cup fans who do not get to see these cars to our division, might help southern tour attendance. This should help the car counts at New Smyrna. If you hauled all that way far for a Nascar Tour race at daytona, why not stay for a few shows at New Smyrna?

a few concerns, I just hope the purse is there to justify the expense. If it isnt a tour race, points paying, there will have to be a significant purse to draw cars. This is a lengthy haul for most of these guys. Typically, these temporary makeshift race tracks are flat, one groove affairs that do not provide the best racing. It is tough to see this being different. Hopefully, I am wrong and mods can put on a great show. If this is a night race or series of night races, it is going to hurt New Smyrna's World series attendance, both cars and fans. Though, I think they make up the loss in increased car count rest of the week.

Should be interesting. I am looking forward to learning more.

JWfor8x
02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
If the perceived announcement is that there is no surety in the type(s) of cars running the event, but it is an event for drivers of some as of yet undefined vehicle, then it's not complaining but stating that there will be no interest in the mod drivers running something other than their own series car.

The drivers of the modifieds are not heroes or celebrities, or well known to the public outside the small circle of the series. If the IROC series composed of the elite of the elite drivers was a failure, why would a collection of minor minor league drivers be successful where the elite failed?

I have no interest in even hearing about TC, Silk, Szegedy, Santos, etc. running an event at Daytona in some car other than a mod. For me, it's all about the type of car. I think we follow mods, not drivers. Drivers come and go, but we still follow the mods.

As much as I love the modifieds, it is still an off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-broadway show. The drivers are virtually unknown to the public outside our little world. They need the car that made them what they are to conduct a meaningful event at Daytona.

You follow the modifieds, not the drivers. I follow the modifieds snd the drivers. I have my favorite drivers and I have always had some that I didn't like, still do. I have followed one family of drivers since I was a kid, in the mid 1950's. That family is the Brunnhoelzl family. I remember watching both Eddie and George race when I was a kid, followed by Eddie Jr, George Jr and Charley Brunnhoelzl. Now, I find myself rooting for George lll on the NWSMT and Edie lll at Riverhead. I do agree with you though, most folks around the country have no idea who any of the drivers are nor what a modified is. They think that the cars they see on tv are "nascars" and they couldn't care less about grass roots racing, of any kind. Those folks won't watch no matter if it's a modified or a late model.

MJProcko
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
in the "build it and they will come" idea, something to consider, it's about 180 feet (using google earth)between the lake bank and the track surface on the back stretch of Daytona, about 240 if you use the back stretch, let's hope they use the back stretch!!! Either way that's not alot of room. For perspective, it's about 250 feet across wall to wall at riverhead....... flat, tight turns (can't have banking because if a cup car slides across the back infield we are talking Xgames type airbourne - enough to put it in the lake) won't make for alot of passing or clean racing for that matter but it should still be great.

Also they don't need the barriers up on the turns - let the cars slide til they stop. As posted above - if you were at the Poconos and saw the Don Pratt and Eddie D'Hont crashes - there is no need to put anyone at that risk ever.

worm
02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
a big bgs, that all it is

JWfor8x
02-17-2012, 01:01 AM
"Removable concrete barriers will be used to identify the short track course". I'm not an engineer, but this sounds like a possible recipe for disaster. Too many times we wait until after something horrible happens to ask why didnt they do something about this.....we'll i'm asking 1st. Lets say a throttle sticks heading into a turn. You hit the "wall" and move the 1st barrier, but "head on" impact the 2nd one...none of us want to see that. Also, if you are using the main track as part of the racing surface, at some point in the middle of the corner, you'd be facing a head on wall in front of you, not a progressive sweeping turn like you'd have anywhere else. I really would hate for Don Pratt's Death at Pocono to be completely forgotten, and possibly repeated."

If I remember correctly, before Don Pratt's fatal accident, there was a similar one involving Mike Ewanitsko in which he was airlifted to the hospital. I can't believe that they would use removable concrete barriers.

JWfor8x
02-17-2012, 01:06 AM
"Removable concrete barriers will be used to identify the short track course". I'm not an engineer, but this sounds like a possible recipe for disaster. Too many times we wait until after something horrible happens to ask why didnt they do something about this.....we'll i'm asking 1st. Lets say a throttle sticks heading into a turn. You hit the "wall" and move the 1st barrier, but "head on" impact the 2nd one...none of us want to see that. Also, if you are using the main track as part of the racing surface, at some point in the middle of the corner, you'd be facing a head on wall in front of you, not a progressive sweeping turn like you'd have anywhere else. I really would hate for Don Pratt's Death at Pocono to be completely forgotten, and possibly repeated."

If I remember correctly, before Don Pratt's fatal accident, there was a similar one involving Mike Ewanitsko in which he was airlifted to the hospital. I can't believe that they would use removable concrete barriers.

I'm sorry, my memory fails me too often. I believe that it was Eddie D'Hondt, not Mike Ewanutsko who was injured as MJProcko stated in his post.

Acadia
02-17-2012, 01:16 PM
This is going to be a very narrow course with about the tightest turns ever seen. The outside of the turns can have the barriers far away so the cars would slide and scrub off speed before they get near the barriers. This layout will be the proverbial paperclip.

Since the turns are going to be so tight, the cars won't be carrying much speed when exiting. This shouldn't resemble Pocono.

MJProcko
02-17-2012, 04:35 PM
20K to win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MJProcko
02-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Good to hear the Chrome Horn's own Denise DuPont at the news conference asking questions too.

CuriousGeorge
02-17-2012, 04:43 PM
http://hometracks.nascar.com/NASCAR_Short-Track_Stars_To_Light_Up_Daytona

"Includes live coverage on SPEED channel"

burtmyers1
02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
As stated earlier by Procko, from wall to wall its about 240 feet. Just to give an idea of the probable turning radius, the Stadium is 275 feet from wall to wall, the 1/4 mile at Charlotte is about 260 feet, Riverhead is about 255 feet, Monadnock is about 333 feet, and Wall Speedway is about 275 feet. These are approximate from Google Earth, but it does show that some of our tightest tracks wouldn't fit.

Also, after doing some mapping. The straightaways might be around 780 feet, which is a tad bit shorter that Martinsville. So, imagine Martinsville with turns tighter than the Stadium and Riverhead.

limodmaniac
02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
http://localracing.nascar.com/NASCAR_Short-Track_Stars_To_Light_Up_Daytona

csg
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
beat me to posting it. It looks like separate races for the 3 divisions. 20k to win for Mods and K&N, 15k for LM. If you win a race you are gauranteed a starting spot next year.

BigMac
02-17-2012, 07:29 PM
The ACT series opened their season last year at New Smyrna in a very similar format. They didn't return this year because it was a huge financial commitment during a time of year they usually aren't racing. 20K to win is nice but given the race is 1500 miles away I'll be interested to see how many teams jump on this. What does 2nd thru last pay?? I would assume the World Series will be reduced in nights as well?

Is there any owner/driver feedback yet?

limodmaniac
02-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Gonna take a guess here - will New Smyrna no longer be an 8 race series? Will they cut it in half and only run modifieds Wed. - Sat?

csg
02-17-2012, 07:56 PM
i would think New Smyrna would cut the tour types and maybe drop the sk's altogether. They are running the two division together in a 25 lap feature tonight. Only 10 tour types and 4 sk's took time. Unfortunately, Jimmy zacharias who timed for both divisions can only be in one car at a time. So he gets screwed in the deal.

SUfan
02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Some more info on the Daytona race and the Champions view here: www.northeastmotorsports.wordpress.com.

CuriousGeorge
02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
What if Ryan Newman shows up and takes the $$

Gil
02-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Hope he does, then this board will light up like Times Square on New year's Eve!!!!

:applause::applause::applause:

KChez
02-20-2012, 09:24 AM
From looking at the overhead of the track, it looks like they could make a better track with minimal paving using the section of the road course that's inside turns 1-2. Just connect the end towards the pits with a sweeping corner and maybe widen the straights some. At least it would be more like a track and not like racing in a parking lot. The only downside is the lack of grandstands. Or maybe they can move the lake back a couple hundred feet! lol

Acadia
02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
A large part of Newman's success at Loudon and Bristol is the fact that he has run thousands of laps at those tracks. If he shows up at the Daytona race, he's going to be on a level playing field, getting bumped like everyone else. That track will not be a horsepower track.

Hope he does, then this board will light up like Times Square on New year's Eve!!!!

:applause::applause::applause:

Goldy
02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
I’m still of the opinion if they want to do something meaningful and special for all - (the tour) – get the mods back to Richmond for a meaty purse - on a cup weekend, under the lights..

This just feels like someones silly idea, packaged up all nice...

MJProcko
02-20-2012, 02:07 PM
I’m still of the opinion if they want to do something meaningful and special for all - (the tour) – get the mods back to Richmond for a meaty purse - on a cup weekend, under the lights..

Right on Goldy - it would be the perect track for all 3 divisions. However I do see the need to make them all apart of speedweeks also. There is alot going and they all need to be apart of it anf Nascar should be the ones making it worth the while - this is a great start.

BigMac
02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
After reading Kevin Rice's article in AARN this week it sounds like the teams are optimistic about this Daytona deal next year. I was actually pleasantly surprised to hear that. This could set up some fun nights at New Smyrna in 2013. I really hope NSS has gotten the rules/tech issues ironed out so we can have a good week without all the discussion being about cheating. I do think it will create an early silly season this year. The teams that are going to head south will want to go with their 2013 driver in place. Now, if we could only bring on a race sponsor($$) for the Blewett and Evans memorial races we will really be in business.

NC Mudcat
02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
What if Ryan Newman shows up and takes the $$

He will be protested by someone who couldn't beat him, and will obviously be illegal, but will refuse to tear down in the sand, and will load up and leave. All fans will feel sorry for the car owners and blame Ryan completely, and retaliation talk will begin immediately.

MJProcko
02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
BigMac should forward the sponsorship advice to the Hart Family regarding finding sponsorship for the Richie Evans 100. Nascar is giving them a huge opportunity here to not only capitalize on the xtra modifieds in town but the enormous amount of short track fans that will be in the area thanks to Nascar (yes I said it, Thanks to Nascar). I would figure the car they use at Daytona will be the ones they would run at Riverhead or BGS considering the layout. This leaves their big track car for NSS. You run 100-200 laps at NSS with 24- 30 top notch mods and its all folks will talk about for the entire speedweeks.

For drivers like who run BGS, Riverhead or Mahoning Valley this event should be a dream come true for you guys - running a flat tight oval like you do every week against the best of the best in front of a national TV audience... this is your chance to shine.

skbob
02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
the motor rules have to clarified before anybody would make a decision about running those races.
if its nascar sanctioned,would it require a Tour legal motor?
if so,there were only about 5 Tour legal motors at NSS this year.
would nascar licenses be required for the driver & crew members?
entry fees & pit pass costs?
purse?
I really don't think a lot of Tour teams would come down for this show. we'll have to wait and see how the logistics work out.

MJProcko
02-28-2012, 03:39 AM
the motor rules have to clarified before anybody would make a decision about running those races.
if its nascar sanctioned,would it require a Tour legal motor?
if so,there were only about 5 Tour legal motors at NSS this year.
would nascar licenses be required for the driver & crew members?
entry fees & pit pass costs?
purse?
I really don't think a lot of Tour teams would come down for this show. we'll have to wait and see how the logistics work out.

I don't think Nascar would sanction a race at NSS, not being sanctioned by them (although it would be a nice exception) but I think the rules NSS already has in place is fine..... unless you ask Teddy fans ofcourse.....

BigMac
02-28-2012, 06:41 AM
The Daytona race does require a 2013 Nascar license and all WMT/WSMT rules are in play. Those guys should be able to show up at NSS and race if they choose. There will also be a group of non Nascar teams who will only run NSS. The ROC teams come to mind. A guy like Hossfeld could return to defend his World Series title and not run the DIS event if he doesn't want to invest in a Nascar license for one event. The press release flat out stated this was a money making venture for DIS. Running this race at NSS isn't even an option. They probably need the extra money now to repave turn 3.

Acadia
02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
NASCAR is putting on a show in the neighborhood, it will be their rules. NSS seems to have a history of run-whut-u-brung, hence NSS has to go along with NASCAR rules. NSS definitely needs to coomperate with the 800lb gorilla... NSS might think they are competing with the 800lb gorilla, or NSS might be pissed for NASCAR starting a competing event in the same neighborhood when NSS traditionally had a full week event and want to be a prick with a bizarre rules package that makes it difficult for cars that also run DIS, but they need to take a deep breath or two and coomperate.

NASCAR is putting on a Mod race and they are looking to get their own Tour teams to participate. Between the North and South Tours, they should be able to get a decent field. I would hope that NASCAR has discussed this with many if not all Mod team owners and found it to be worthwhile.

Tracks, think from the perspective of the fans, those that part with money.

Licenses are going to be needed since they cover insurance and liability concerns.

Having a Mod race at DIS with that huge captive audience of all the other racers and teams is a great move. NASCAR should strongly encourage their attendance at the mod event. Get those teams up in the stands with the people. That star power at the Mod event would be fantastic. I've seen the HomeTracks ads on TV lately and the Mods are included which is pretty cool. This would be a great link between the Mods and Trucks, NW, and Cup cars.

MJProcko
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.speed51.com/2012_Stories/Speedweeks/2013_plans_2-28.html

I stand corrected - NSS is changing over to WMT rules for the World Series. While they will obviously be using the WMT rules over at Daytona I'm not so sure if that only allowing the WMT rules at NSS will cut down on the car count. Making the rules for the ROC & VMS cars equal to the WMT rules by adding/subtracting weight might be a better idea. Everything else about the announcement - especially the extra distances added will make the week a short track heaven!

JED
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I heard NASCAR legal mods only next year at New Smyrna last week as a rumor.

As a way to simply rules and inspection it makes sense. To draw more cars, not too sure that is the answer. It would have cut this years field in half. My suggestion was to still have the option to run your series type motor but it must be sealed by your sanctioning body. I know the sealed motor can still be tamped with argument, but gotta start somewhere.

Purse structure to attract teams is also needed. Tires are $172 a piece. Maybe a tire rule limiting how many you can buy a day could help cut the cost of the week.

I also am skeptical of teams running at New Smyrna Fri and Sat then the DIS race. Not too sure many will take the chance of being wrecked. After the DIS race if the money is there some may try it.

Things definitely need to be shaken up for The World Series to continue.

Jim

BigMac
02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
The beauty of this is that the Daytona race is already going to be on TV. So if Daytona and NSS want the fans to fly down and spend their money at the speedways it is in their best interest to make this into something special. If not, we stay home and watch on TV. Its a win-win for the fans. I do agree that if New Smyrna is going to go with tour rules they should allow a certain amount of wiggle room for the ROC,VRMS and independents to compete. If that is by adding weight then fine. The draw of the World Series is that it is an open event. As much as I like the new direction New Smyrna is taking I don't think you want to lose the open event spirit completely.

Acadia
02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
The more cars from more Tours, weekly series, sanctioning bodies, etc., the better for all!!! :applause:

This is going to be a very tight course. Tight turns and slow exit speeds. It's not going to be too much of a horsepower course. Short drag races, lots of brakes, slow turns, repeat. Take Riverhead, tighten the turns and stretch out the straights a bit, and make it perfectly flat.

A good formula to add lots of weight to compensate for displacement and CR should work and be very inclusive. All carbs must be NASCAR spec compliant. A gear rule might also be a good thing.

Let there be no car left behind!

:cheers:

worm
02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
first thing first, a 2500.00 sfi seat for 2013 may be more,with out it you do not run. most wmt cars now do not have this

JWfor8x
02-29-2012, 04:09 PM

I think that you're right about Richmond under the lights on a cup weekend. That would be great. You may be right about Daytona too and maybe it will turn out just to be a silly idea. Then again, maybe you're wrong and it brings a lot of much needed exposure to the modifieds. Maybe it can be just what the doctor orderred and will help get the modifieds back to Richmond...we'll see. I think it's worth a try and I really don't see a down side to it.

NWMT PR
03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I think that you're right about Richmond under the lights on a cup weekend. That would be great. You may be right about Daytona too and maybe it will turn out just to be a silly idea. Then again, maybe you're wrong and it brings a lot of much needed exposure to the modifieds. Maybe it can be just what the doctor orderred and will help get the modifieds back to Richmond...we'll see. I think it's worth a try and I really don't see a down side to it.

Although I never saw the NWMT at Richmond, I can envision it would be a great show, so I understand the sentiment from both teams and fans that a return is desired. However, according to my knowledge, that is simply not in the cards. It's certainly not for a lack of desire on our end for the Tour to go back there, but there has to be two to tango. Who knows what the long-term future could bring, but in the short term, it just isn't happening.

And although I don't think it has come up in this thread, I've seen it on this board many times before ... just because NASCAR and ISC share the same building doesn't mean that we can just name the events we want. There is no arm-twisting going on there. Each track under the ISC umbrella runs its business as it wishes, and some are more inclined to welcome touring series than others. In the instance of the Daytona short track event, that was something that we've been working with the track on for some time now, but at the same time they were receptive to the idea and it certainly wasn't something that was forced on them.

As it is, we've got a pretty good slate of marquee events on the schedule. Bristol, two at New Hampshire, great season-opening and season-ending events at Thompson and Stafford, the Thompson Showdown and now Daytona.

Icebreaker ... coming soon!

Jason C.

RGeeProductions
03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
As it is, we've got a pretty good slate of marquee events on the schedule. Bristol, two at New Hampshire, great season-opening and season-ending events at Thompson and Stafford, the Thompson Showdown and now Daytona.

Jason C.

To clarify, as it was grouped together as "pretty good slate of marquee events on the schedule", is Daytona going to be a NWMT points race in 2013?

Bob T. Racer
03-01-2012, 10:49 PM
To clarify, as it was grouped together as "pretty good slate of marquee events on the schedule", is Daytona going to be a NWMT points race in 2013?

What are you worried about Richie? The purse will more than make up for what you'd spend to get here and race, YEAH RIGHT!!! Speaking of purses Jason, when will they be announced?

MOD11RACER
03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
first thing first, a 2500.00 sfi seat for 2013 may be more,with out it you do not run. most wmt cars now do not have this

If a $2,500 seat is going to break your bank for fielding a race team you shouldn't be in the racing game. You might want to try Tennis or Golf.

JWfor8x
03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Although I never saw the NWMT at Richmond, I can envision it would be a great show, so I understand the sentiment from both teams and fans that a return is desired. However, according to my knowledge, that is simply not in the cards. It's certainly not for a lack of desire on our end for the Tour to go back there, but there has to be two to tango. Who knows what the long-term future could bring, but in the short term, it just isn't happening.

And although I don't think it has come up in this thread, I've seen it on this board many times before ... just because NASCAR and ISC share the same building doesn't mean that we can just name the events we want. There is no arm-twisting going on there. Each track under the ISC umbrella runs its business as it wishes, and some are more inclined to welcome touring series than others. In the instance of the Daytona short track event, that was something that we've been working with the track on for some time now, but at the same time they were receptive to the idea and it certainly wasn't something that was forced on them.

Jason C.

Jason. I know that the mods won't be at Richmond anytime soon. Still, that does not mean that things will stay the same forever. All that I was trying to say is simply this. The race at Daytona could be beneficial to both the northern and the southern tours. The race could spur interest that might someday bring a demand to have the modifieds return to Richmond. Maybe it won't, but if it does, that's great. If not, I can't blame NASCAR for trying.

limodmaniac
03-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Just some thoughts as I read these comments.

Please explain why or who doesn't want the modifieds at Richmond. Who is out there demanding that the K and N series race there? Do they pack the place with fans when they are there?

It was mentioned in a previous post that the K and N series deserves a higher point fun because they travel up and down the coast. Will the modifieds be running for a higher purse since they have to travel farther to Daytona?

And to get totally off base, how does Bowman Gray get away with paying out a full purse to the K and N series but pays peanuts to the Whelen Southern Tour?

Looking forward to Daytona in 2013 and New Smyrna!

RGeeProductions
03-03-2012, 03:11 AM

Please explain why or who doesn't want the modifieds at Richmond. Who is out there demanding that the K and N series race there? Do they pack the place with fans when they are there?

It was mentioned in a previous post that the K and N series deserves a higher point fun because they travel up and down the coast. Will the modifieds be running for a higher purse since they have to travel farther to Daytona?

And to get totally off base, how does Bowman Gray get away with paying out a full purse to the K and N series but pays peanuts to the Whelen Southern Tour?

HUH???

First question was answered with "just because NASCAR and ISC share the same building doesn't mean that we can just name the events we want. There is no arm-twisting going on there. Each track under the ISC umbrella runs its business as it wishes, and some are more inclined to welcome touring series than others. In the instance of the Daytona short track event, that was something that we've been working with the track on for some time now, but at the same time they were receptive to the idea and it certainly wasn't something that was forced on them." Jason is PR only, not anything more than that, so why would he have specifics? How about asking Richmond execs?

Second question, wasn't the original statement about the K&N deserve a higher point fund about their point schedule racing? Daytona for modifieds will not be a points race. With that, why should they get a higher purse (point fund?? very confused here with comparison) because of a NON points race that they will not be required to run? They don't have to travel to Daytona. And you are comparing a higher point fund to a higher purse???

All but 2 NWSMT races are set payouts, as they have been for awhile, unlike our NWMT races. Maybe the question should be why NWSMT gets paid peanuts compared to the NWMT? I mean, apples to apples here.

Revscott
03-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Maniac, You dont like any racing except for modified racing so this will never make any sense to you. If you look at the big picture then you will see why the k@n is promoted over the mods by nascar. The K@N is the future of nascar. Look at the drivers in the truck series and Nationwide series today. Look at the winner from Daytona last year. These are K@N drivers and the future of Nascar. Do people line up like they do for Mod races? Probably not right now but the plan is for the future.

As more and more guys begin to come out of this series and it continues to me marketed by Nascar then yes it will begin to grow. Bottom line is this is the premier development program for Nascar and they will promote it to get those young faces into the public. Look and see how much it costs to get a ride for one race and you will understanding the funding real quick.

I love Racing and I honestly dont care what it is so I am not as biased as many on this board. Modifieds are still the best in my eyes but the big picture of Nascar is reality and it will not change.

When Hendrick, Roush, Penske, Childress etc etc start putting their money into Modifieds then you will see them at the big tracks like Richmond. Until then they want to see their investment and their future at the track with them on the weekend.

JWfor8x
03-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Jason C.

Jason, I have seen the modifieds at Richmond and yes, it was a ridiculously good show. There was one big problem, though. I saw them, the people that I was with saw them and only a very few others came out to see them that day. There was a very small crowd. I understand why they are not there. To me that means that NASCAR needs to do a much better job of promoting their oldest division than they have done in the past. I see the Daytona race as a small step in the right direction, but just that, a small step.

NWMT PR
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
RGeeProductions: Exhibition, non-points for Daytona. I sort of grouped it into 2012 because it is technically a 2012 postseason event (2012 race winners locked in), although it obviously occurs once the calendar turns.

Bob T. Racer: I wouldn't expect the entry blank until after the 2012 competition season. The winner's share has already been announced at $20K each for both the Modified and K&N races.

JWfor8x: I didn't mean to single you out for the Richmond comment. It just seemed like a good time to address a topic that has been a bit of a broken record. Hopefully the future does hold a positive development in the situation.

limodmaniac: You're support of the Mods is unrivaled as always, but I still hold out hope that someday you can at least accept the terms of what the modern day K&N Pro Series is, even if it is begrudgingly. To address one of your topics ... I'm going to have to call you out on your point fund stance. If the NWMT was going everywhere from Iowa to Georgia to New Hampshire and all over the mid-Atlantic, you'd demand a higher point fund to help support the teams that are supporting the series. Travel is not the only reason for a difference in the point fund, but I was just throwing that out there as a tangible example of one aspect of it that I thought everyone could relate to.

Moving forward: I've opened up a little bit on here recently about license fees, purses, etc. to help people gain a small bit of understanding and to dispel some myths, but please don't expect me to address such things on a continual basis moving forward. If a driver, owner or crew member has a concern about those matters they can take those concerns up with the appropriate personnel, but I'm not sure I get the concern of the financials from fans beyond the ticket prices. As a Boston Bruins fan, I can't tell you who is the highest paid, the lowest paid, if someone is getting stiffed or if someone is just coasting ... all I know is I enjoy it when they're on the ice. I'll be glad to tell you what time the gates open, where the autograph session is or what I know about team transactions, but if someone is concerned about why the K&N East winner takes home a bigger check than the NWSMT winner at Rockingham, I can't really help you.

MOD11RACER: What's the countdown to Thompson? We're getting close!

thank you,
Jason