PDA

View Full Version : thompson /ice breaker

worm
03-14-2012, 07:10 PM
pits open at 10 sat/sun with practice at 12:30 sat . not much time to inspect cars

RacnJason00
03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Check again. Pits are open on Friday with no practice but can do inspection I do belive...

RacnJason00
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/schedules/icebreaker.htm

burtmyers1
03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
I think the biggest problem is that costs $44 for a ticket. Good Lord..........

MJProcko
03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
I think the biggest problem is that costs $44 for a ticket. Good Lord..........

they paid 42 bucks for the good seats to watch midgets run around a hockey rink so 44 for the Ice breaker is a pretty good deal by comparison. But its still way to high.

Revscott
03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
They lowered the front and back gate this year and people are still going to complain? Oh they also give free parking and free camping.

Can you go to a cup race for that? Patriots? Bruins? Celtics? Red Sox? Uconn? BC?

Raise the purse, get more cars, do this, do that but oh my gosh it always comes down to the same thing. Dont charge me more then $20 to get in.

2 days of racing for $44 oh yeah CT now charges a 10% tax on all events in the State so Thompson is getting $40 for a two day event.

wmass01013
03-15-2012, 05:46 AM
What makes you think they lowered the addmission price?
and yes i do complain, i dont go to patriots celtics , bc uconn bruins games

2 days of racing? if you went to the icebreaker last yr on sat it was practice, time trials and 6 thompson divisons that averaged about 10 cars each hardly ANY RACING

and mot people dont go BOTH DAYS just on SUNDAY way overpriced

Magicshoes12
03-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Saturday is great to go to, especially with a pit pass....go watch practice on the backstretch, get up close with the cars after a long winter and smell the fuel and rubber and see the cars! Chat with friends you haven't seen all winter! There are a few cuties that walk around the pits too! After qual I usually watch a few of the Super 6 but as someone mentioned low car counts did make it kind of blah last year, but then you have the night! CAMPERS = Fire/Beer/Food, tooling around with RC Cars and Golf Carts, so to say Saturday is bring is not true, it's only boring if you make it boring! Also for some reason when I wake up Sunday Morning at the Icebreaker and for that fact the World Series, if you get up early enough start signing to yourself the opening theme song to Day's of Thunder and get up and realize that you are about to see the thrill of the WMT and what should be one of the most competitive seasons in a while I think. I'm pumped and can't wait!!

Mod Squad
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
While I agree $44 dollars is a little steep. It's not even close to the price of a major sports event. I live in the middle of fendered stock car country and I have no open wheel racing anywhere near me. Closest track is Langley, they only do one Southern Mod Tour show. Every other track is between 2-5 hours away.

When I plan my trips home on leave to New England I always try to plan them around Mod Races. Most fans, my family included, have no idea how good they have it. CT, NH, VT all have several tracks to choose from that are all easily accesible from most of New England you can drive 1-3 hours and hit half a dozen tracks.

In most cases, the racing is a LOT better. The funny thing is I live 5 hours from Charlotte, the self proclaimed stock car capitol of the world and the only good racing I've sen down here are the original North South Shootouts.

I'll probably get blasted for saying it but be happy for what you have. I know I would be. JMHO

JMB
03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
The $44 is due to a new ticket tax for this year.(Spring Sizzler tickets are $38.50 this year because of this) However, the $40 was too high. Most of the tickets for the Mods and Nationwide at Loudon in July are $35 and the Mods and Trucks at Bristol are $30. That is too much for a regional tour that visits a track 5 times a year. Prices like that are suited better for a once a year special event. And this also makes the tour races more expensive than some seats at Fenway Park.

Magicshoes12
03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
The $44 is due to a new ticket tax for this year.(Spring Sizzler tickets are $38.50 this year because of this) However, the $40 was too high. Most of the tickets for the Mods and Nationwide at Loudon in July are $35 and the Mods and Trucks at Bristol are $30. That is too much for a regional tour that visits a track 5 times a year. Prices like that are suited better for a once a year special event. And this also makes the tour races more expensive than some seats at Fenway Park.

I know when I went to Loudon last year the tickets were $45 when it was Nationwide/Mods and Trucks/Mods, and I believe it was only $35 when it was ACT/Indy/Mods, but you only got to see Indy Q and Practice, $44 isn't that bad for Thompson. For the past several years Thompson has always been $40 front, $50 Pits, and the @ the W.S its $50 front, $75 Pits, If anything don't blame Thompson for the $4 increase, blame the State of Connecticut! Glad I moved out of CT before the government really started putting the shaft to everyone!

You can only get an outfield grandstand "seat" ticket for less than $44 at Fenway, Everything else is Standing Room only until you hit $50 for Right Field Roof Terrace "seats".

$44 to me is worth seeing just the WMT itself, especially this coming season!!! Going to be great!

burtmyers1
03-15-2012, 12:10 PM
The reason I said that is because all of the WSMT races are 20 bucks with the exception of Bristol and Charlotte, which are 30. Which isn't bad as you get to see the Trucks at Bristol and the Cup/Nationwide guys at Charlotte. State Tax or not $40/44 is absurd to pay for a ticket at a weekly track.

It must be good to have money........

RacnJason00
03-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Saturday is great to go to, especially with a pit pass....go watch practice on the backstretch, get up close with the cars after a long winter and smell the fuel and rubber and see the cars! Chat with friends you haven't seen all winter! There are a few cuties that walk around the pits too! After qual I usually watch a few of the Super 6 but as someone mentioned low car counts did make it kind of blah last year, but then you have the night! CAMPERS = Fire/Beer/Food, tooling around with RC Cars and Golf Carts, so to say Saturday is bring is not true, it's only boring if you make it boring! Also for some reason when I wake up Sunday Morning at the Icebreaker and for that fact the World Series, if you get up early enough start signing to yourself the opening theme song to Day's of Thunder and get up and realize that you are about to see the thrill of the WMT and what should be one of the most competitive seasons in a while I think. I'm pumped and can't wait!!

HELL YEAH!!!! You nailed it.. it is like waking up to the Days of Thunder theme song. Its the sign that wintah is over. I love the whole weekend there. I will be there Friday till Sunday and will in the pits. I will have to run to Waterford Sat night to spot for an SK Mod but Thompson is where I will be..

bud
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
While I wish it was cheaper. The gas tab will be way above admission for me. I used to go to the sizzler and fall final on just Sunday. Sat builds the drama. All sorts of side stories that u will never hear about on Sunday..... Then wonder hey why is so and so back there or man he's way up front.... If the money is looked at as two shows then it is a deal!

Magicshoes12
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
The reason I said that is because all of the WSMT races are 20 bucks with the exception of Bristol and Charlotte, which are 30. Which isn't bad as you get to see the Trucks at Bristol and the Cup/Nationwide guys at Charlotte. State Tax or not $40/44 is absurd to pay for a ticket at a weekly track.

It must be good to have money........

Economy's are completely different, A house you could buy in Charlotte for $100,000 would cost you $300,000 in Connecticut. I think it's sweet to pay $20 to go to a SWMT race, I do wish we could pay that up here, but this is probably also a part of why the Northern Tour payouts are twice as much as the Southern Tour.

I will also say...it must be good to have money! LOL, because I know I don't have it!

Also on a side note Dave....are you running SoBo Monday night?? If you don't have a setup I could get you one!

JMB
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Economy's are completely different, A house you could buy in Charlotte for $100,000 would cost you $300,000 in Connecticut. I think it's sweet to pay $20 to go to a SWMT race, I do wish we could pay that up here, but this is probably also a part of why the Northern Tour payouts are twice as much as the Southern Tour.

I will also say...it must be good to have money! LOL, because I know I don't have it!

Also on a side note Dave....are you running SoBo Monday night?? If you don't have a setup I could get you one!

I don't think the economies are the real reason. I was just looking at that Lebanon Valley schedule for this year:
World of Outlaws Sprint Cars general admission $25 and reserved seats $27.
Mr Dirt Track USA Super Dirt Series $17,500 to win general admission $20 and reserved seats $22.

CTtoPA
03-15-2012, 04:55 PM
The economics of pavement track admission/purses make no sense to me. Look at admission for any WoO race and their purse. What does Stafford or Thompson charge for admission versus what they pay the winner? A Williams Grove weekly show is $18 admission for two divisions and the 410 winner gets $3,600.

PS-I sat in the lower section at Providence for $15.

burtmyers1
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM

You are darn right I'm running South Boston. Its my best track! I was so mad at myself for missing Martinsville. I ran a couple races during the week and I was looking pretty good. Of course, send that setup on my way!

Bostonian
03-16-2012, 11:55 AM

You are correct about the cost of owning a home. That's were it ends though. I have family living in Myrtle Beach, and they have a really nice home that they paid less for, then a house lot goes for here. All of your every day expenses are the same or higher down there. Oh ya, the pay down there is half to one third of what it is up north. My brother in-law works in HVAC, and has over 30 years experience. He makes less per hour then a kid coming out of a Tech HS starts at here. My sister is a Tennis Pro who runs one of the best clubs in the country. They aren't rolling in $$$ :rolleyes: I go down a couple of times a year and cry when I see the wages being paid. They have a mind set that, if you don't wan't to work for $8 an hour building a house. There are plenty who will. Whether their legal or not is a different story :mad:

Even though my line of work isn't effected by were I live. I have a hard time convincing myself that I would like to live there full time, because after buying a home. I wouldn't be saving much compared to here :disgusted

I'm amazed that anyone down south can even afford to race in the first place. I don't think they get a break on the cost equipment. I can't see how they do it. But they do

RGeeProductions
03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
You are correct about the cost of owning a home. That's were it ends though. I have family living in Myrtle Beach, and they have a really nice home that they paid less for, then a house lot goes for here. All of your every day expenses are the same or higher down there. Oh ya, the pay down there is half to one third of what it is up north. My brother in-law works in HVAC, and has over 30 years experience. He makes less per hour then a kid coming out of a Tech HS starts at here. My sister is a Tennis Pro who runs one of the best clubs in the country. They aren't rolling in $$$ :rolleyes: I go down a couple of times a year and cry when I see the wages being paid. They have a mind set that, if you don't wan't to work for $8 an hour building a house. There are plenty who will. Whether their legal or not is a different story :mad:

Even though my line of work isn't effected by were I live. I have a hard time convincing myself that I would like to live there full time, because after buying a home. I wouldn't be saving much compared to here :disgusted

I'm amazed that anyone down south can even afford to race in the first place. I don't think they get a break on the cost equipment. I can't see how they do it. But they do

Same or more down there?
Try school taxes alone compared to Long Island, NY! Not even close!

Bostonian
03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Same or more down there?
Try school taxes alone compared to Long Island, NY! Not even close!

Dumb question, but are the taxes really bad in L.I. NY?

The way that I understood it is, the pay is real low compared to the north east. As for property/school taxes I don't know, although my sister complained a lot! :disgusted Sales taxes vary by county, and they can reach 9% on everything! Makes me glad I live close to NH! :lol: Gas prices are about the same, and food prices were also higher down there. I know were I live in MA, it's anything but cheap. I think the cost of living probably averages out in either place. I never use to give it any thought, until I did some traveling. Maybe the income is higher away from the tourist areas?

RGeeProductions
03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Dumb question, but are the taxes really bad in L.I. NY?

The way that I understood it is, the pay is real low compared to the north east. As for property/school taxes I don't know, although my sister complained a lot! :disgusted Sales taxes vary by county, and they can reach 9% on everything! Makes me glad I live close to NH! :lol: Gas prices are about the same, and food prices were also higher down there. I know were I live in MA, it's anything but cheap. I think the cost of living probably averages out in either place. I never use to give it any thought, until I did some traveling. Maybe the income is higher away from the tourist areas?

Actually came up at lunch about 2 months ago.
Same value homes and property and LI, NY taxes were a bit over $30,000 more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But, keep in mind, that's only Long Island.

Analyst
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
$40 for an Icebreaker ticket was already steep. Now another $4 tax on top of that... The state of Connecticut can shove it! I am flat out sick of bs taxes and fees. I feel this is going to be bad for CT racetracks. I hope one of the racetracks invites the governor or some other prominent politician to be the grand marshal for one of their events--then I will pay the tax to personally boo them.
On a side note does this still mean that Thompson will still try to whack customers $18 or $19.80 with the tax when they extend the mini stock feature by 10 laps? That is bs tax on top of bs fee or double bs...

worm
03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
go in the pits NO tax

limodmaniac
03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Bobby Santos back on the tour in the 44 modified? Saw that on FaceBook.

bud
03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Hope he kicks butt!

wmass01013
03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
$40 for an Icebreaker ticket was already steep. Now another $4 tax on top of that... The state of Connecticut can shove it! I am flat out sick of bs taxes and fees. I feel this is going to be bad for CT racetracks. I hope one of the racetracks invites the governor or some other prominent politician to be the grand marshal for one of their events--then I will pay the tax to personally boo them.
On a side note does this still mean that Thompson will still try to whack customers $18 or $19.80 with the tax when they extend the mini stock feature by 10 laps? That is bs tax on top of bs fee or double bs...

I see that WATERFORD is charging $35 front gate price, does that include the 10% ct tax? THEY ARE IN ct CORRECT?
tHOMPSON KNOWING THIS tax WAS HAPPENING COULD INCLUDE IT IN THE PRICE BUT AS USUAL THEY CHOOSE TO STICK IT TO THE Paying customerS AS USUAL!

Axel
03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
who's the owner of the 44? Not trying to start rumors, but is that the old Fiore 44?

Magicshoes12
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
who's the owner of the 44? Not trying to start rumors, but is that the old Fiore 44?

Sully Tinio is the Car Owner, It was the one that Rick Gentes was running which they had bought from Bobby, it was the Family's #92/96 car from a few years back.

Teds Race Tours
03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
The economics of pavement track admission/purses make no sense to me. Look at admission for any WoO race and their purse. What does Stafford or Thompson charge for admission versus what they pay the winner? A Williams Grove weekly show is $18 admission for two divisions and the 410 winner gets $3,600.

PS-I sat in the lower section at Providence for $15.

Correction...Williams Grove's 2 division show (410's and 358's) is $14 for adults.

410's and Super Late Models is $15.

bud
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Ahhh.....to have Mario back....

Axel
03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Correction...Williams Grove's 2 division show (410's and 358's) is $14 for adults.

410's and Super Late Models is $15.

they got both type of sprints there.

modfan4ever
03-27-2012, 09:38 PM

If one of the race tracks in CT invite the Governor,they won't have to pay ,they'll get in FREE as a guest and let us pay for it......

Gil
03-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Where were all of you when the Legislature was pushing this tax through? Were you on the phone or at the Capital fighting against it like a lot of us were?

:disgusted

worm
03-28-2012, 06:15 AM
also gets taxs taken out of there purse winnings,they got u coming and going

BigMac
03-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Where were all of you when the Legislature was pushing this tax through? Were you on the phone or at the Capital fighting against it like a lot of us were?

:disgusted

A better question is whether or not the tracks represented their fans interests at the Capital. Its easy enough for them to pass the costs on but did they doing anything to fight it? Either way, a 10% tax on anything is crazy. No sales tax, income tax or race ticket tax in NH. Come on up.

Analyst
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
A better question is whether or not the tracks represented their fans interests at the Capital. Its easy enough for them to pass the costs on but did they doing anything to fight it? Either way, a 10% tax on anything is crazy. No sales tax, income tax or race ticket tax in NH. Come on up.
Spot on! I never I heard an announcement about this anytime I visited a Connecticut racetrack last summer despite Governor Malloy signing the tax into law in May of 2011. Had I heard such an announcement about the forthcoming tax I certainly would have voiced my opinion even though I am not a resident of Connecticut. To me it appears the tracks were either hiding or ignorant.
It won't be long before pit admissions are taxed once someone in Hartford takes notice of all the potential revenue that is even more consistent than those taken on the grandstand side...

ModTourMan
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
they got both type of sprints there.

...Country and Western.

Teds Race Tours
03-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I miss you Axel......

Axel
03-29-2012, 12:01 PM
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

Axel, the de-threader.