PDA

View Full Version : DOT inspections

Maddawg
03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
this is no joke, I heard it first hand from a friend that owns a local towing company.. they will be doing DOT inspections on trucks and trailers hauling into AND out of Grandview Speedway this season :mad: They will be looking for working brake systems, lighting, properly tied down cars( 4 pints of attachment, preferrably diagonal) and not sure but possibly combination rating... We may even be required to have medical cards.. I heard some article was in the Pottstown Mercury about this.. Like Joe said check back when he gets more info.. This is serious crap.. We all need to be prepared for this !!!!!!
Maddawg

Tracy57
03-22-2012, 06:52 AM
I looked into trailer requirements because a guy I worked with got in trouble for not being registered combination - he was grossly over with full size 5th wheel drag race trailer with living quarters. but this prompted me to call state police and look online.

There's really not much to help people figure out what they need, since the state police wouldn't answer questions, the notaries don't seem to know, and most of the online information from DMV is targeted toward commercial drivers, so even if we want to get everything legal, we can't because we don't know.

Since it takes time to get all this done, I'll share what I know...From the best I can tell most of the real challenges start when you're pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs, that's when you need a medical card (filled out by your doctor) and combination rating. US DOT numbers, last time I checked are only issued to bussinesses, but that's kind of a gray area.

most of us are registered under 10k, but above 3500lbs, so that's the point where we need trailer inspection, break-away kit, safety chains, etc.

It would be really helpful if someone who knows more can help spell out what we really need.

NeetsSpectator
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
This is what they call race-ial profiling. :lol:

Tracy57
03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
__________________________________________________ _

Maddawg
03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Trailers all good, new breakaway switch and fixed the 2 lights that have been broken forever lol.. inspection Fri..
and all left to do on my 14 is the battery disconnect switch.. CANT WAIT TILL SAT !!!!!!!!! See ya all there
Maddawg

Philter39
04-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I was talking to some one that was pulled over by this former state trooper DOT .Now a local policeman.He has a truck . if you get a ticket from him fight it in court. Many of the items he is busting people for are wrong. I also understand that if you have an open truck . You better have all the things in the back strapped down. A truck with a cap will not need to worry. A DOT inspection must take place in a safe place to pull over. Any one else have more to add. phil

69racing
04-14-2012, 11:20 AM
This former state trooper isnt the only officer looking for DOT stuff. I know a late model driver got pulled over late Saturday night after the races by a North Coventry officer. He was issued a $1000 fine but was told he has a week to fix the problems. If he could show he corrected the issues the fine would go away.