PDA

View Full Version : WMT race on dirt?

Groundpounder
04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
"[OCFS] will schedule a couple test sessions this year with four to six cars to see if it is feasible. It is believed that by raising the ride height 2 inches and with Hoosier dirt tires - asphalt modifieds can race here." from page 31 of this week's AARN.

It also says that the promoter has been in contact with WMT officials about the idea.

Mod Fever
04-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Blasphemy!!

uticamike
04-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Why, a person would have to be a Mad Dog to promote such an idea. Preposterous!!!

rim runner
04-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Awesome!!!!

Now maybe we'll see who the real drivers are - no hiding behind daddy's bank roll and a single groove race track.

Bobby1717
04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
I love the idea.

JMB
04-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Awesome!!!!

Now maybe we'll see who the real drivers are - no hiding behind daddy's bank roll and a single groove race track.

The last time I went to Orange County it was pretty much single groove.:) With that being said I remember the ISMA Supers running Syracuse a few times during Super Dirt Week. And if they do one of those on track pit parties, be prepared. I went to the Eastern States weekend once and before the pit party they had watered but not worked in the track. It was like walking on a hockey rink without skates. I probably should have figured that out when everyone else had on huge boots and I was like the only one with sneakers.

rim runner
04-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I went to Eastern States two years ago and there were plenty of racing grooves there. A lot has to do with track prep.

I wonder if Stewie Friesen would pick up a ride there? :)

He was damn impressive at Wall's Turkey Derby.

Teds Race Tours
04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
put me in the LOVE THE IDEA category.

csg
04-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I think it would be interesting. I would certainly have to go to check it out if it was scheduled. The last time I went to Orange County the track took rubber and was basically pavement so they probably could pull it off. Can an asphalt modified suspension in its current configuration handle the bumps and holes that tend to develop on a dirt track? Last thing you want for these teams is extra expenses to convert a car for a one race deal. I just dont think the drivers and owners would go for it. There are plenty of asphalt tracks in NY that dont have a tour race scheduled, perhaps we should work on getting back to some of them.

Steve in NC
04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
There are plenty of asphalt tracks in NY that dont have a tour race scheduled, perhaps we should work on getting back to some of them.

pretty much sums it up!!! Do I think the mods on dirt would be a neat novelty? .... Yes. Does the car owners/drivers/crew members need extra time and expenses of this because NASCAR or somebody wants to experiment? ..... a clear NO.

It's the economy period. plain and simple. Look at what NASCAR charges to have a sanctioned WMT show at a track and any anyone with some racing business sense will tell you that it not worth it unless they already have a "modified" fan base to begin with AND that is if they can pack the house. Anything less than that, and having a WMT event does not make dollars and sense. End of story.

BTW: love the modifieds.. always have and always will. I've done my share to support them in many different ways also. Don't need to hear that line again.

Steve