PDA

View Full Version : 04/29/12 - Myers Wins Endurance Game at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
04-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Saturday night was a test of endurance for Modified drivers at Bowman Gray Stadium. And Burt Myers
passed the test with flying colors.

Myers qualified on the pole and then fought lap after lap through 13 cautions and 10 lead changes to take the checkered flag in the
season-opening Hayes Jewelers 200 for the Brad’s Golf Cars Modified Series.

The 200-lapper is the longest and most prestigious race of the season, pushing the patience and focus of the drivers as well as the
stability of cars and tires. With 13 cautions and the double-file restart cone, there was rarely any moment when a driver could settle in.
As the green flag waved, the #1 car of Myers claimed the lead by overpowering the outside pole-starter of Lee Jeffreys of Wallburg. But
Myers’s dominance would be short-lived. During the first double-file restart, Jeffreys took to the outside and grabbed the lead away.

A few laps later, another double-file restart allowed Myers to reclaim the lead. And then after a few more laps, Jeffreys grabbed the
lead back yet again. The two ended up trading the lead back and forth eight times.

“It was not a coincidence that everybody kept getting beat off of the inside tonight,” said Myers. “The grip on the inside on the
restarts was absolutely terrible.” Lee Jeffreys agreed: “On the restarts, you were able to get a better run on the outside,” said Jeffreys.

The back and forth battles forced Myers and Jeffreys to push their cars to the limit, a situation that wasn’t optimal during a lengthy
200-lap race. “I knew we had a really good car, but we were running a lot harder than I wanted to run,” said Myers. “Lee is notorious for really
pushing his car, but he had a really good car. When Lee got in front of me, I figured that was actually a good thing for me.”

As Myers tried once again to take the lead back, he gave a tap to the rear bumper of Lee Jeffreys on lap 161. Jeffreys spun out and was
relegated to the rear.

“It was just one of those racing deals,” said Myers, who feels that Jeffreys simply lost control. “Lee’s a good friend of mine. I’ve let
him drive my racecar before – and there’s not many people I would let do that. When you spin a man out, he spins all the way around. I bumped Lee
and he went sideways, corrected it, and then came back.”

Jeffreys, however, feels that Myers was driving dirty. “If I was him, that’s what I’d say too,” said Jeffreys. “But I promise you next
time he’s in front of me, he’ll probably ‘wiggle’ or he’ll probably ‘have a flat’ or something.”

The front row then became a Myers sibling rivalry as Jason Myers of Walnut Cove moved to the outside to challenge his older brother. The
#4 car of Jason took the lead with 30 laps to go.

We finally caught a break, got on the front row, and beat Burt off the start - and the car was great,” said Jason Myers. Unfortunately,
the conditions of the inside groove crippled him on the next restart. “It was like it had a flat tire on it. We would go in the corner and turn
the wheel as hard as it would go left - and it would just keep going straight,” said Jason Myers.

Burt grabbed the lead back, while Jason slipped back through the field after being passed by Danny Bohn of Huntersville. “Danny gave me
one little shot getting into turn three. That made the car drift up off the bottom - and he got by me,” said Jason Myers. “I had a shot to win
it, and I feel like I gave one away.”

Once he moved into second, Bohn had his sights set on passing Burt Myers. And although there were only 20 laps left in the race, Bohn did
have one critical advantage: he had pitted earlier to put on fresh tires.

“We knew it would be a survival game. We just kept our nose clean and picked cars off on restarts when we needed to,” said Bohn. “I was hoping
for a caution, and I honestly thought I’d be able to wind Burt in. But he was able to ride up front and save his tires a little more than we were
coming from the back.”

But Bohn never received a chance to challenge Myers with a double-file restart. Myers held on to take the checkered flag, giving him a
strong start to his bid for his third straight championship in a row. “When you can start out the year with a win in this race – and knowing that
our car was as good as it was for 200 laps - that’s a real motivator for us for the rest of the year,” said Myers.

In the Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series, Gary Ledbetter of Lexington fought from 15th forward to take the checkered in a wild
first race of the season. Derek Stoltz of Walkertown finished in second, with Bryant Robertson of Lexington taking third.

Doug Wall of Pfafftown brought home the victory in the 20-lapper for the Q104.1 New Country Street Stock Series. John Holleman of
Winston-Salem and David Sumner of Trinity finished second and third.

In the Summer Shootout Stadium Stock Series, Wesley Thompson of Mocksville took the checkered in the first race. The second race was
postponed due to curfew.

Race Results

Brad’s Golf Cars Modified Series
Hayes Jewelers 200

FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 1 Burt Myers Walnut Cove, NC
2 65 Danny Bohn Huntersville, NC
3 83 Tim Brown Rural Hall, NC
4 4 Jason Myers Walnut Cove, NC
5 22 Jonathan Brown Winston-Salem, NC
6 69 Junior Miller Danbury, NC
7 5 Randy Butner Pfafftown, NC
8 77 Lee Jeffreys Wallburg, NC
9 50 Michael Clifton Walkertown, NC
10 05 Tony Black Lexington, NC
11 66 Ronnie Clifton Walkertown, NC
12 12 Mike Norman Lewisville, NC
13 40 Chris Fleming Mount Airy, NC
14 81 Austin Pack Walkertown, NC
15 72 Brent Elliott Denton, NC
16 48 Brad Robbins Winston-Salem, NC
17 28 Mike Adams Winston-Salem, NC
18 37 Thomas Ferrando Rians, France
19 21 Tommy Neal Walkertown, NC
20 53 Brian Loftin Lexington, NC
21 75 Robert Jeffreys Winston-Salem, NC
22 04 Kevin Powell Winston-Salem, NC
23 09 George Brunnhoezl III West Babylon, NY
24 70 Noah Triplett Lexington, NC
25 2 Joseph Brown Winston-Salem, NC
26 20 Jeremy Stoltz Walkertown, NC
27 25 John Smith Mount Airy, NC

Webb Heating and A/C Co. Sportsman Series:
Sportsman race: 22 of 40 laps completed (time limit expired)

FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 70 Gary Ledbetter Lexington, NC
2 02 Derek Stoltz Walkertown, NC
3 72 Bryant Robertson Lexington, NC
4 86 Taylor Branch Lewisville, NC
5 3 Jeff Garrison Clemmons, NC
6 8 Bobby Reed Clemmons, NC
7 9 David Adams Yadkinville, NC
8 07 Danny Cornwell Clemmons, NC
9 81 Zack Clifton Walkertown, NC
10 20 Jacob Creed Ararat, NC
11 50 Barry Edwards Pinnacle, NC