PDA

View Full Version : 05/06/12 - Bobby Jones holds off Don Wagner for Mahoning Modified win

RGeeProductions
05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Earl Paules remains perfect in Late Models

At Mahoning Valley Speedway’s Opening Night race for the Modifieds, Bobby Jones of Palmerton lost the lead on lap 18 to Zane Zeiner who would go on to claim the race.
This past Saturday night he was again leading up until the 18th circuit when once more got passed, this time by Don Wagner.

However, this time around Jones wasn’t settling for anything less than first as he used a lap 20 restart to regain the top spot and from there to the finish it was a nip and tuck battle between himself, Wagner, Matt Hirschman and Earl Paules.

Over the first three weeks of the season Wagner has been making full use of the outside groove, passing most of his competition from there and it was on that same route which he went by Jones.
“I wasn’t going to give another one (win) up. The outside was fast tonight and the place to be. I lost it (lead) there and took it back out there,” said Jones.

After the take-back Jones had to stay on the defensive as Wagner was constantly working alongside him. Hirschman and Paules were right on the heels of the front pair which only added to the intensity of the race. Hirschman actually tried a few inside attempts on Jones as well as taking the same course with Wagner but to no avail.

Jones, who is driving this season for owners Ivan and Wanda Morgan, went under Roger Snyder’s waving checkered flag by a slim .153-seconds over Wagner. It was his 24th overall Mahoning win and 14th in a Modified. For the Morgan’s it marked their first return to the Winner’s Circle since a May 2009 win by Mike Quinn.

“It’s unbelievable the money that they (Morgan’s) put out to build this car. They wanted to do this and I volunteered I guess. I was supposed to be taking a break this year but now I’m into harder than I’ve ever been,” said Jones.

Wagner’s runner-up marked his fifth straight and also elevated him to the top of the point standings.
“When you got good racers that will let you run side-by-side, the racing is always exciting. I know what it looked like from my seat and I’m sure it was thrilling from the fans view too,” said Wagner.

“Bobby (Jones) is tough and he’s got a lot of laps here and a lot of wins here. I enjoy racing with him and you know it’s always going to be clean. We’ll take second place money. We’re here for the championship.”

Hirschman, Paules and rookie Scott Meckes completed the top five. Heat wins went to Jones, Nevin George and Kevin Rex, Jr., with John Markovic taking the consolation.

Prior to this season Paules has never raced at Late Model at Mahoning Valley and so far he hasn’t lost one either. And, this feature was one for the record books as a trio of track standouts waged a torrid battle with Paules just barely eking out his third consecutive win.

Paules, from Palmerton, started on the pole and had to deal with Mike VanFossen at first. But, after a lap six restart it would be Paul Koehler, Jr., going head-to-head with him. Koehler was running exceedingly close with the leader and then came Mike Sweeney.

It was clear to see that Koehler and Sweeney had other thoughts in mind in keeping Paules from a three-peat.

Following a lap nine restart Koehler used the outside line to power past Paules. It was, however, still a very close matchup as all three were knotted with no room to spare. It was that close, that tight.

By lap 14 Paules thrust back ahead of Koehler with Sweeney still very much in the mix and even made it three-wide at one point. It would remain a clash right to the finish. Koehler even attempted a last lap pass but fell short by a mere .105-second margin.

“I don’t know how I got passed but Koehler ran up on me but we got him back and I just held him on the outside. I gave him a little bit back of what he was he was giving to me,” said Paules. “What a way to start off with three heat wins and three feature wins.”

Ed Bauer and Tony Zatsko completed the top five. Prelims went to Paules and Bauer.

Randy Ahner, Jr., of Jim Thorpe topped the Street Stock field for his first win of the season.
Starting from the pole Ahner did go on to lead every lap but was fighting back nearly the full time with on comers Joe Steigerwalt, Jason Frey and finally Kevin Smith.

The two-time class champion pressed on and dedicated his win to the late Mike Krempasky, the 2011 Street Stock owner champion.

Smith took second with Opening Night winner Jason Kuhn next in line. Kuhn has now retaken the point lead. Josh Mooney and Chris Parry rounded out the top five. Ahner, Steigerwalt and Frey annexed heat wins.

For the second time in as many weeks Kris Graver of Lehighton proved unstoppable in winning the Dirt Mod feature.

It was the final week of drawing for starting spots and Graver lined up on the outside of row one next to Bill Sittler, Jr. Once the race started it was all Graver, all the way, earning his ninth class win and 21st overall. Randy and Dave Thomas finished second and third respectively.

Jake Kibler of Lansford was the benefactor of Jeremy Miller’s ill-fate in the 4-Cylinder Stock main. Looking as though he would be heading to his third straight win, with three laps to go Miller’s right rear wheel broke off and second running Kibler was able to avoid a near miss with him and slip into the lead.

Over the final few circuits Kibler was smooth and took the victory over a newcomer Nick Baer. Dan Freundt of Lehighton was the top FWD finisher in third, getting credit for the win and bonus money.

The INEX Legends made a return to Mahoning after a few years away and the 20-lap main was a true barnburner between Tom McCollum and local favorite Raven Schrantz. All throughout the race Schrantz tried ceaselessly to get past McCollum but the driver from Manville, NJ would have nothing of it as he made his first Mahoning start a memorable affair.

Both drivers also won their respective heats.

Modified Feature Finish, 35 Laps: 1. Bobby Jones, 2. Don Wagner, 3. Matt Hirschman, 4. Earl Paules, 5. Scott Meckes, 6. Tommy Flanagan, 7. Matt Wentz, 8. John Markovic, 9. Chip Wanamaker, 10. John Bennett, 11. Joe Mooney, 12. Kevin Rex, 13. Lonnie Behler, 14. Keith Mullineaux, 15. Paul Skodacek, 16. Terry Markovic, 17. Nevin George, 18. Jimmy Zacharias, 19. Shawn Sitarchyk, 20. Troy Bollinger
Did not qualify: DJ Wagner, Stacy Brown

Late Model Feature Finish, 25 Laps: 1. Earl Paules, 2. Paul Koehler, Jr., 3. Mike Sweeney, 4. Ed Bauer, 5. Tony Zatsko, 6. Pat Hargan, 7. George Ramos, 8. Rick Wallace, 9. Kenny Hein, 10. Glenn Slocum, 11. Paul Effrig, 12. Mark Simon, 13. Mike VanFossen Did not start: Dave Wallace, Ron Geotter

Street Stock Feature Finish, 25 Laps: 1. Randy Ahner, Jr., 2. Kevin Smith, 3. Jason Kuhn, 4. Josh Mooney, 5. Chris Parry, 6. TJ Gursky, 7. Gene Bowers, 8. Jillian Long, 9. Jonathan Tracy, 10. Joe Roberts, 11. Kyle Strohl, 12. BJ Wambold, 13. Mike Garris, Sr., 14. Jason Frey, 15. Joe Stamm, 16. Jason Frey, 17. Todd Ahner, DQ: Lou Strohl

Dirt Modified Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Kris Graver, 2. Randy Thomas, 3. Dave Thomas, 5. Mark Levy, 6. Bill Sitler, Jr., 7. Joe Stangle

4-Cylinder Stock Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Jake Kibler, 2. Nick Baer, 3. Dan Freundt, 4. Doug Knauss, 5. Kyle Strohl, 6. Josh Oswald, 7. Robert Miller, 8. Stone Wentz, 9. Jay Garris, 10. Bobby Kibler, Jr., Justin Martison, 12. Jeremy Miller, 13. Jake Oswald, 14. Tyler Stangle, 15. Taya Wentz

INEX Legends Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Todd McCollum, 2. Raven Schrantz, 3. Jimmy Zacharias, 4. Russell Sniffen, Jr., 5. Sam Pickford, 6. Dylan Hoffman, 7. Butch Boyle, 8. Mitchell Dowd, 9. Jim Hoffman, 10. Carl Jones Did not start: Barry Schrantz

Dino Oberto