View Full Version : Monadnock Speedway

limodmaniac
05-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Monadnock Speedway - Whelen Tour Race

Saturday, May 12

$5000 in extra money - Thank You Ted Hebert and Teddy Bear Pools & Spa

Jerry Marquis in the Ralph Solhem #0

CAR DRIVER/HOMETOWN TEAM OWNER/CREW CHIEF
0 Jerry Marquis, Broad Brook, Conn. Cliff Nelson/AARN/LIModManiacChevrolet Ralph Solhem

Let's Pack the Place!

limodmaniac
05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Looks like 26 modifieds for the Whelen Tour Race at Monadnock.

With extra sponsorship money from Teddy Bear Pools & Spas, it will be $810 to take the green flag! This doesn't include Nascar bonus money that many drivers get.

This is the bonus money, each position pays out from the Teddy Bear Pools and Spa money.
If there turns out to be more or less modifieds there, the payout will be slightly altered.

26 - $510
25- $510
24- $510
23- $485
22- $460
21- $410
20- $385
19- $335
18- $310
17- $285
16- $235
15- $210
14- $165
13- $130
12- $ 60

limodmaniac
05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Speedwaylinereport.com

NOW!

SUfan
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
A change from the entry list out today already. A link to the story can be found here: www.lowellsun.com/motorsports.

The link directly to the story is HERE (http://northeastmotorsports.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/mckennedy-to-run-monadnock-wmt-event-in-hill-racing-79-this-weekend/)

limodmaniac
05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
WHELEN MODIFIED ADVANCED DISCOUNTED TICKETS ON SALE NOW BY CALLING THE SPEEDWAY'S OFFICE! (OFFICE HOURS TO PURCHASE TICKETS ARE TUESDAY - WEDNESDAY 10AM-3PM. DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY - 5/9/12)

PRE - PURCHASE PRICES: ADULT (GENERAL SEATING) $25, ADULT (RESERVED SEATING) $28, SENIORS 65+ (GENERAL SEATING) $15, SENIORS 65+ (RESERVED SEATING) $18, STUDENTS (GENERAL SEATING) $5, STUDENTS (RESERVED SEATING) $8 AND CHILD 12 & UNDER (RESERVED SEATING) $5

Call Monadnock Speedway tomorrow! Tel: 603-239-4067

Sicklajoie
05-08-2012, 09:12 PM
I remember them saying at Thompson if you bring your Icebreaker ticket stub to Monadnock you get $5 off your ticket.

bud
05-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Another full fender guy goes running....lol. what ever happened to cole?

BigMac
05-09-2012, 04:56 PM
The weather looks good for this weekend. There's nothing better than some Saturday Night short track racing under the lights. I can't remember the last WMT night race run before Memorial Day

limodmaniac
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
NO excuses! Let's pack this place!

Acadia
05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
The weather looks good for this weekend. There's nothing better than some Saturday Night short track racing under the lights. I can't remember the last WMT night race run before Memorial Day

So true. Looks like it will be a great Saturday night event.

bud
05-10-2012, 06:50 PM
A u headed up?

Acadia
05-10-2012, 06:52 PM
A u headed up?

Looks like it. You still owe me a beer.

bud
05-11-2012, 05:51 PM
U got it! Gonna be an awesome race

BigMac
05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Good race tonight. It looked like the place was full. I loved the 7:30 green flag. Hopefully the tour will be back there in 2013. I didn't understand the 66 pulling out of line like he was going to pit and then didn't. He was close to the top 10 after his first stop. I didn't see what the gain was by doing it. I also thought Nascar could have gotten by with not throwing the yellow for the 59 with about twenty laps to go but it is what it is.

Sicklajoie
05-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I thought it was a good race. To me, any race on a bullring is a good race.
I liked Todd's comments after the race about giving the teams a rr tire to change.
Why does it take so long to open pit road? Keith Rocco was driving around on a flat right rear for 3 laps before the pits open. Nothing like causing more damage to the car than what's already happened.
Even though there were some unnecessary yellows, I do think that they're doing a better job getting back to green quicker.

Acadia
05-13-2012, 10:44 AM
It was a really good event. Classic short track venue, great weather, fantastic weather, good crowd, and some drama. The 36 changed engines after practice and made qualifying with a minute to go and qual'd like 5th. The 4 started in the back and worked up to 6th. Preece is living a dream, I hope he isn't disappointed when he doesn't get a pole or a win. Coby is very good and getting better and better. It was a very good short track event. There was some banging and bending going on, but looks like for the most part that cars continued on. The one-day show is the way to go.

MOD11RACER
05-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Lets hope for a return to Monadnock in 2013. Good race, good crowd and great weather. I agree with Szegedy that 1 RR tire would make the racing even better.

Magicshoes12: 10 cautions for 60 laps. 115 green flag laps. What do you want to do run all night ? All of the races on all of the Tours are long enough we don't need to make the races any longer for the fans, the teams or the equitment. The race ended at 9:00 PM you can't get any better than that.

If you add up all of the laps the MRS runs under caution the races end up being 150 laps or more anyway so it's a wash.

Special Thanks to the following: Jim Schaefer ( limodmanic), Teddy Bear Pools for the extra $5,000 added to the purse (12th thru 26th), Town Fair Tire, Mobix, to all of the teams and fans that supported the race, Monadnock for holding a WMT race and yes NASCAR for putting on a race at a bullring. Without the help from NASCAR this race would not be on the schedule.

MOD11RACER
05-13-2012, 02:24 PM
It was a really good event. Classic short track venue, great weather, fantastic weather, good crowd, and some drama. The 36 changed engines after practice and made qualifying with a minute to go and qual'd like 5th. The 4 started in the back and worked up to 6th. Preece is living a dream, I hope he isn't disappointed when he doesn't get a pole or a win. Coby is very good and getting better and better. It was a very good short track event. There was some banging and bending going on, but looks like for the most part that cars continued on. The one-day show is the way to go.

I agree Acadia

uticamike
05-13-2012, 09:53 PM
"I think for Riverhead, Monadnock, and Waterford if these races are 175 or 200 laps, only count cautions for the first 100 and then after that don't or something. This is where the MRS is better, when they advertise 100 laps you see 100 green flag laps. What the tour directors have to realize is, this isn't the cup series and these guys aren't running 400 laps, they also say that some is caused by drivers not getting in line, well you know what you usually have 2 or like last night 3 officals on the flat stand, have one of them get their ass on the track stop traffic and get those guys lined up like they use to do. I am all done venting and we'll see you at Stafford, haha!""

Ut oh... Fuse is lit. Everybody run!!!! LoL

bud
05-14-2012, 02:39 AM
So is Ben Dodge working for the tour now or did Monadnock hire him for the night?

DaFingz
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I haven't been to a Tour race with an atmosphere like that in a long time. That place was buzzing with excitememnt all evening. The packed house and perfect weather coupled with some exciting racing made it a memorable evening for sure. I brought a first time race fan with me and he is hooked.

The only negative thing about going to a Monadnock race is how much it makes me miss Riverside Park.

Acadia
05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Magicshoes12, you are buying admission to an event, you are not buying a minimum number of laps.

This was a 'no-tire' event, which means a tire can only be changed if the tire was damaged. No taking on tires for the purpose of having fresher tires and better performance. As it was, this 175 lap event had like 60 yellow laps and the 115 green laps pretty much consumed the tires, in particular the RR. The discussion of taking on a RR shows that. The 'no-tire' rule is part of the austerity program, or attempt at cost reduction. Race lengths have been tailored to what can reasonably be run on one set of tires. As it was, it looks like the lead cars were doing all they could to hold on to what they had since it wasn't too racy at "go-time". So putting those 25 laps from the heat race into the feature is not an option, there was not enough tire to go that distance with a racy attitude on one set of tires. There weren't enough cars to require the heat race. That has nothing to do with the length of the feature race. I would hope that any cars that would have run the heat race would not have had to run the heat race and the 175 lap feature on the same tires. That would have been a HUGE disadvantage. This was an impound race, and no-tire race, which means the cars went out to qualify with stickers and were then impounded. They were loaded with all the tire they were gonna get.

I like that all laps count. Besides, it looks like it doesn't really matter given the lengths of the events and the final numbers of racing laps. But if you feel you want a guaranteed minimum number of green laps, stick with the MRS. When all laps count, it holds their toes to the fire.

As far as allowing for a RR, I'd have to vote against. Pitting at Monadnock should only be for emergency, not competition. As it was, with just a couple cars coming in for repairs, it was chaos. That pit area is way too small and cars would have to be phased through to prevent a demo derby in the pit area. But if a tire is allowed, I don't think we would have seen the clawing to gain positions as we did. They would have just paced, waiting to get the new tire, bunched up with a yellow, and then had a sprint race that pretty much negated all that went on earlier. If a RR is allowed, make it a competition yellow where the racing is suspended until all cars get the tire in a way that does not cause carnage in the pits.

But keep in mind that stagger will have to be set when taking on this one tire. That's a little more involved than just changing a tire.

I don't see a significant benefit to taking on a RR tire that would make the event meaningfully better. The event was just right as it turned out.

BigMac
05-14-2012, 08:32 PM
One tire would add a whole lot of intrigue to an event. To come in and give up position or stay out and try to hang on. I think its something Nascar should look at for the bullrings.

uticamike
05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
One tire would add a whole lot of intrigue to an event. To come in and give up position or stay out and try to hang on. I think its something Nascar should look at for the bullrings.

I agree. When the ROC raced at Perry (WCIS) we pitted outside the oval. Guys had the option of taking a tire or running on what they started with.

It adds to the race for sure. There were never any safety issues with this procedure as far as I know. Also, and I know this won't be popular, but these

bullring races should be 100 laps if there are no tires allowed. Might reduce the number of "riding" laps. The MRS does it without issues.

HeavyHauler1957
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Ditto Acadia and Mod11Racer. Preece really is off to an amazing start. Where was the 93 car? Anybody know?

Acadia
05-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Ditto Acadia and Mod11Racer. Preece really is off to an amazing start. Where was the 93 car? Anybody know?

Heard his sister got married, so his family went to that instead. ;-)

bud
05-15-2012, 03:24 AM
One thing that stood out was non tour regulars. The 70,59,0 not being therewould have brought the count down to24-25 cars still a problem here.

MJProcko
05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
My view is....

1. Time to stop calling it the Monadnock 200 - only a used car salesman would call a 175 lap race 200 laps.

2. If this was a "no tire" race, it's a bad idea when the cars are starting heads up from TTs. No one other than the 16 team and the majority of their fans wants to see the winner lead all 200.... er I mean 175 laps. All the best WMT races in history have been won by someone coming through the field. If Nascar wants to help Competitors with costs - PAY A REAL PURSE and stop depending on the fans to put up extra money for the purses. They already pay the highest ticket prices in the country, no need to gouge them.

3. On tracks that don't have infield pitting, change the format so that that the cars don't go a lap down for pitting. Either slow down the pace car to 60 second or don't count the cautions and call it the Monadnock 150.

4. From the posts there was a great crowd and great vibe so build on it.

Mod Squad
05-16-2012, 02:17 PM
My view is....

1. Time to stop calling it the Monadnock 200 - only a used car salesman would call a 175 lap race 200 laps.

2. If this was a "no tire" race, it's a bad idea when the cars are starting heads up from TTs. No one other than the 16 team and the majority of their fans wants to see the winner lead all 200.... er I mean 175 laps. All the best WMT races in history have been won by someone coming through the field. If Nascar wants to help Competitors with costs - PAY A REAL PURSE and stop depending on the fans to put up extra money for the purses. They already pay the highest ticket prices in the country, no need to gouge them.

3. On tracks that don't have infield pitting, change the format so that that the cars don't go a lap down for pitting. Either slow down the pace car to 60 second or don't count the cautions and call it the Monadnock 150.

4. From the posts there was a great crowd and great vibe so build on it.

I've commented on the fans supplementing the purse in the past. I don't agree with it all. While I understand the reasoning and I respect what others are doing supporting the Tour its a bad precedent to set. Increased license fees again, little to no TV coverage, and for the second year in a row the purses/winnings are no longer published. Trying to emulate the rules of the big three (ie restarts) are all factors that are pushing me away from this tour. I have tried to remain positive but the reality is down south does not really care about the Mod Tours if they did they would put the same effort they put in to the Mods that they do in to the K & N series. Stagnated purses at 1980's levels and trying to turn the Mods in to a spec series are both thing that are slowly killing this tour. Weekly Mods and VMRS here I come. Let the bashing of my post commence. JMHO