PDA

View Full Version : 05/23/12 - Bill Force Sr. & Jr. are winners at Mountain Speedway TQ Vintage Meet

RGeeProductions
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
The inaugural out door event of the ATQMRA Vintage
Division was dominated by bright sunshine and the father/son team of Bill Force Sr. and Jr.
The event would prove memorable with thirteen vintage TQ Midgets signed. The restored race cars spanned the 1950's through the 80's.

The mix of drivers included multi-time ARDC Champion and TQ winner Hank Rogers Jr. Former Modified stock car driver Tom Hindley. ATQMRA and SMRC Midget driver Karl Mondschein and current Sprint car driver Mike Casario.

Heat races were split into two divisions as the roll bar cars took to the track first and Karl Mondschein would become the first winner of the newly formed club in the former Tom Dimasco Crosley powered No. 18 upright.

The second heat, which where, caged cars would be taken by the former Ben Trimble Triumph rear engine car and driver Gary Mondschein, brother of Karl.

The twelve lap feature would prove to be exciting as the roll bar and cage cars were combined but would be scored as separate divisions.

Karl Mondschein took the lead at the start as Bill Force, Sr., in his Crosley upright No. 26, held his ground and ran the outside. These two classic drivers battled until the caution flag waved on lap six as third place running Gary Mondschein's right rear suspension gave way and he brushed the front stretch wall.

Force, Sr., would grab the lead on the restart and seemed to be on his way to the overall win by fending off the challenges of Wayne Laucius, Tom Hindley, Karl Mondschein and Force, Jr. in the former Bruce Kinberg Suzuki powered Holmquest built car.

Force, Jr. would run a smooth line and position himself to battle his father and complete a last lap pass and go on the overall win. Force, Sr., settled for second (first in the roll bar class) followed by Hindley (Suzuki Holmquest), Karl Mondschein and Keith Majka rounded out the top five.

"Running these cars was a blast," said Force, Jr. "I really learned a lot today racing my father. It was very special for our family".

Force, Sr., who was emotional in victory lane stated, "We really enjoyed the atmosphere here today. It was so special to race my son. We had my other son Patrick pushing off cars on the quad.”

Current No. 26 car owner Laucius was pleased as well. "We had some fun today. I'm happy to pick up the win as the car owner.”

Special thanks from all the club members were relayed to event organizer and longtime open cockpit fan Robert Noll. The next event for the ATQMRA Vintage division will take place at the Mahoning Valley Speedway on Saturday night, July 7th in conjunction with the current TQ's.

Finish: Bill Force Jr., Bill Force Sr., Tom Hindley, Karl Mondschein, Keith Majka, Wayne Laucius, Gary Mondschein, Hank Rogers, Jr., Paul Wiesel, Mike Casario, Ray Gillen, Bill Fisher

Dino Oberto