PDA

View Full Version : Daytona short track

NWMT PR
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Here's an article and some videos from yesterday's pace car rides with Brett Bodine, which gives some further insight to what the track layout will be next February.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/racing/other/2012/05/31/daytona-speedway-unveils-tests-new-short-track.html

MJProcko
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
what are the chances of installing a safer barrier coming onto the backstretch? Can't Wait!!!!

fastbackss
06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you for posting. I thought that the article and video were both good. It is obvious that this has undergone some real thought and isn't being cobbled together.

I personally loved the start of the video (in car of the pace car), watching the gentleman in the back smile while Brett calmly ticked off some laps, and more importantly watching the guy in the front try to hold the recorder and the camera without bouncing around the cockpit of the car, and while having his hands reversed. I tried not to watch him because I kept laughing.

Teds Race Tours
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Thank you for posting. I thought that the article and video were both good. It is obvious that this has undergone some real thought and isn't being cobbled together.

Real Thought? Love the Drains on the front stretch, including the one heading into turn 1. That'll be fun for the drivers.

Howie
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Here is an in car video of what seems to be the same ride along with Brett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8hw6cIEyzpc

Teds Race Tours
06-01-2012, 01:56 PM
yes...sounds like he hits the grate almost eveytime entering turn 1.

Acadia
06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Well, I saw three grates, two on the outside of the straight and one on the inside entering T1.

The way the car bounced shows that there is quite a depression around these grates. Any chance these grates and the surrounding area might be temporarily paved over for this track set up?

Otherwise it looks like a good layout for a modified, two drag strips connected by hairpin u-turns.

fastbackss
06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
yes...sounds like he hits the grate almost eveytime entering turn 1.

Fair enough - I did not catch this on the video when I watched it - but there were a lot of things I read and heard that showed me there was more thought put in than what I thought. In other words, my expectations were really low and now they have been raised slightly.

bud
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Drains will be there in feb.....marked by cones!