PDA

View Full Version : 06/06/12 - Burt Myers Docked 50 Points at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Jason Myers hangs on to points lead during wild night

During Saturday’s race at Bowman Gray Stadium, NASCAR Officials determined that Burt Myers’s wheels were
wider than is legally allowed. They required Myers to start in the rear of the field for the 100-lapper on Saturday and said that further
penalties would likely be coming later in the week.

Myers was able to make use of the double-file restarts to climb back up to third, dodging the wrecks that were occurring along the way.

But Myers ended up spinning as he and Austin Pack of Walkertown fought for position.

“Last to third wasn’t going to be bad. I never would have expected that from Austin. I think he just drove in over his head,” said Myers.

“We were on track for a really good night, and it turned into a so-so night.”
“Nothing’s torn up, and it looked like we finished in front of some cars that we needed to finish in front of,” said Myers, referencing how none
of the points contenders had a strong night on Saturday.

Tim Brown of Rural Hall and Jonathan Brown of Winston-Salem were involved in an early race wreck, putting them a lap down and seriously hampering
their ability to gain some crucial points on Saturday. Lee Jeffreys of Wallburg was headed towards a top-five finish which would have placed him
in a dominating position in the points – but he was involved in a collision on the very last lap.

Jason Myers of Walnut Cove was able to maintain his points lead despite also having a few disappointments in his night. Jason was running in
fourth when he lost control and spun during the later parts of the race.
“I thought we were going to end up good. I was fourth on that last restart – I went for it and it didn’t work,” said Myers. “I guess I got
excited. I was trying to win from fourth, and it didn’t work out.”

But the spin may have actually worked in his favor: had he stayed in fourth, he likely would have been caught up in the same pileup that took Lee
Jeffreys out of the race. “We actually dodged that last wreck because we spun and got by a lot of cars,” said Jason Myers.

Burt Myers was ranked second in the points after Saturday – right behind his brother, Jason. But NASCAR Officials announced on Tuesday a 50-point
penalty for Burt Myers. “All 27 Modified cars had their rims checked on Saturday,” said NASCAR Chief Steward John Horton.

“With wider wheels, he’ll have the advantage of having more tire rubber on the track than other competitors have,” said Horton. “The 50-
point penalty is equivalent to one race night’s worth of points.”

Myers doesn’t deny that his wheels were illegal but says it was just a simple mistake. “It’s a discrepancy in the width of the wheel,”
said Myers. “It’s a different manufacturer than most people run. The wheels are a little bit wider than the 10-inch rule.”

“I don’t think the penalty fits the crime, because it was pretty much an oversight,” said Myers. “The wheels never made it on the car.
They were confiscated before the race, and I was forced to start dead last. So why was I penalized 50 points for the same crime?”

“I want to apologize to the fans for this unfortunate situation,” said Myers. “It’s not something that was intentional. It’s something
that was just a major oversight that we didn’t think was an advantage.”

The penalty drops Burt Myers from second in the points down to a seventh place ranking. Michael Clifton of Walkertown moves up to second
in the points as a result.

The races for the Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series, Q104.1 New Country Street Stock Series, and the Summer Shootout Stadium Stock
Series were postponed due to weather.

Things will continue to heat up this Saturday. The Modifieds race in twin 25-lappers, and the Summer Shootout Stadium Stock Series will
compete in the Craftsman Stadium Stock 50. It’s the longest and most prestigious race of the year for the Stadium Stock Series – and for the
first year ever, they’ll use the Double-File Restart Rule. The Sportsman and Street Stock cars race, and the night will end with a 109 U-Pull-It
Chain Race.

Gates open at 6:00 for practice, and the first race begins at 8:00 PM – this Saturday night. Ticket prices, directions, and more
information can be found online at www.bowmangrayracing.com or by calling (336) 723-1819.

Brad’s Golf Cars Modified Series Current Points Standings
RANK CAR DRIVER POINTS GAINED LAST EVENT
1 4 Jason Myers 279 36
2 50 Michael Clifton 262 46
3 77 Lee Jeffreys 260 26
4 83 Tim Brown 253 22
5 22 Jonathan Brown 249 18
6 25 John Smith 247 50
7 1 Burt Myers 226 38
8 5 Randy Butner 220 42
9 66 Ronnie Clifton 215 34
10 48 Brad Robbins 200 44
11 05 Tony Black 199 20
12 65 Danny Bohn 197 2
13 81 Austin Pack 187 48
14 69 Junior Miller 155 6
15 75 Robert Jeffreys 155 2

The Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series, Q104.1 New Country Street Stock Series, and Summer Shootout Stadium Stock Series have no change in
the points standings. Their races were postponed due to weather.

Loren Pinilis