PDA

View Full Version : Whelen Modified Tour Looks Troubled

MJProcko
06-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Interesting article from Mark Allard of the Norwich Bulletin

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/x2102586143/Whelen-Modified-Tour-looks-troubled?zc_p=0#axzz1yabRdI4A

Some Highlights:

“It’s all pretty depressing. You can see the writing on the wall,” Christopher said.

'The tour has only 14 races this season — which Christley thinks is appropriate for a regional touring series'

“I wish (NASCAR) would support (the modified tour) more. I’m sure they could support it more — I would like to see their bank account figures,” Christopher said with a laugh before getting serious. “I’m glad I won my (Modified) championship when I did, when it meant something. At least I had my own banquet and I didn’t share it with six other divisions that I don’t even know.”

Fellow driver Ryan Preece, of Berlin, said the reduction in the purses “sucks,” but “it is NASCAR’s ball field and it gets to do whatever it wants.”

“Why? NASCAR controls the spec motor business,” Thompson Speedway owner/promoter Don Hoenig said. “They sent a car to the Stafford Sizzler — it was all a NASCAR deal — just testing the motor and how the car would compete. They have control of everything and it has hurt all the short track programs.”

In addition, when the spec motor was first discussed, Christopher said it was supposed to cost around $18,000. He thinks that number is now closer to $35,000.

“The changes (NASCAR) is making in racing rules keeps driving these guys away. It’s just making it unaffordable,” Hoenig said.

Very good (and brave) reporting Mark.

Acadia
06-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Excellent reporting.

Even a Jimmy Olsen would have tripped over that story. Amazing how it is not a welcome subject here. It's well known, all that is being talked about, but taboo here. Kinda makes you wonder, I hope.

uticamike
06-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Interesting article from Mark Allard of the Norwich Bulletin

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/x2102586143/Whelen-Modified-Tour-looks-troubled?zc_p=0#axzz1yabRdI4A

Some Highlights:

“It’s all pretty depressing. You can see the writing on the wall,” Christopher said.

'The tour has only 14 races this season — which Christley thinks is appropriate for a regional touring series'

“I wish (NASCAR) would support (the modified tour) more. I’m sure they could support it more — I would like to see their bank account figures,” Christopher said with a laugh before getting serious. “I’m glad I won my (Modified) championship when I did, when it meant something. At least I had my own banquet and I didn’t share it with six other divisions that I don’t even know.”

Fellow driver Ryan Preece, of Berlin, said the reduction in the purses “sucks,” but “it is NASCAR’s ball field and it gets to do whatever it wants.”

“Why? NASCAR controls the spec motor business,” Thompson Speedway owner/promoter Don Hoenig said. “They sent a car to the Stafford Sizzler — it was all a NASCAR deal — just testing the motor and how the car would compete. They have control of everything and it has hurt all the short track programs.”

In addition, when the spec motor was first discussed, Christopher said it was supposed to cost around $18,000. He thinks that number is now closer to $35,000.

“The changes (NASCAR) is making in racing rules keeps driving these guys away. It’s just making it unaffordable,” Hoenig said.

Very good (and brave) reporting Mark.

Those of us that have been "on" NASCAR for awhile now have been called everything but a white man in the last number of years and

while I see in more and more places, people are finally staring to see the problems, it doesn't make me feel any better. NASCAR as a brand

name doesn't mean shi... to those of us with a passion for all things asphalt Modified racing but they "own" the show and so can't be

ignored. Internet gum flappers (myself included) by ourselves can't change the course of mighty rivers but now your seeing more and more

of the names in this game (past and present) coming out to say "Hey, we have an issue with you NASCAR" so the seeds for real change

may be not far off. Without a sufficient replacement sanctioning body, just tossing aside NASCAR will not be a cure all. But...... it can be

done. The recent race at Star (even with it's warts) shows that selling Modified racing can be done. Modified racing fans are some of the

most passionate in all of racing I think, it's just that NASCAR, in my view, doesn't share that passion. I dunno but I think the winds of

change are blowing and I welcome that.

Acadia
06-23-2012, 09:27 AM
This was just funny... What a PR statement...

“Not in the least, not in any way, shape or form is the tour in any trouble,” Christley said. “NASCAR is fully committed to the Modified Tour and to the future of the Modified Tour.”

But yet we have declining car counts, less than full fields, purses being cut... cost reductions, spec motors ...

There were rumors at a local large employer that one of their programs was in big trouble. This program employed many people. The Program Manager announced that there was no truth to the rumors and the program was safe. A week later the program was cancelled.

Acadia
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Very interesting that TC would be so open and blunt. He is already under double triple secret probation. The last thing he needs is more attention like this. He's the kid that gets sent to the principal the most already, and now he's just begging for more. It can only mean that things in NASCARland aren't very rosy and he is just fed up, and/or TC has plans that do not include NASCAR modifieds.

Something like this initial story should open the floodgates for much more. But let's see what happens. If nothing else, then it is true that NASCAR has turned the screws a little tighter.

Where's racedayCT??? Here's a great opportunity to do real reporting.

Groundpounder
06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Maybe TC is banking on the fact that he's one of the bigger draws on the tour and nascar can't afford to be too harsh on him? I'm not the biggest fan of his driving style, but I respect him a ton for speaking out like this.

Axel
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Interesting article. You do have to give TC some kudos for being open and honest about things. Same goes for Don Hoenig.

wrench1
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Maybe TC is banking on the fact that he's one of the bigger draws on the tour and nascar can't afford to be too harsh on him? I'm not the biggest fan of his driving style, but I respect him a ton for speaking out like this.

way to many nascar officals,more officals then cars.get ride of some officals and put $ in the purse.

Acadia
06-25-2012, 11:54 AM
It doesn't look like Mark Allard from the Norwich Bulletin is going to be getting NASCAR press credentials for the near future.

MJProcko
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Nascar paid Joe Nemecheck $72,724 for a 1 lap Sunday drive through the California wine country...... SEVENTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!! And they take away $4,000 from actual racecar drivers at Loudon and they pay "one lap" Joe the equivalent of the entire WMT purse. Shameful.

MXCHAMP04
06-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Nascar paid Joe Nemecheck $72,724 for a 1 lap Sunday drive through the California wine country...... SEVENTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!! And they take away $4,000 from actual racecar drivers at Loudon and they pay "one lap" Joe the equivalent of the entire WMT purse. Shameful.So where's the pom pom waving pr guy when you read stuff like this?

Acadia
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I can't believe that NASCAR allows this.

This is not racing, but they need cars to start the race to look good for TV.

That $72K is about what the WMT Champ made for the season!!!!

Nascar paid Joe Nemecheck $72,724 for a 1 lap Sunday drive through the California wine country...... SEVENTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!! And they take away $4,000 from actual racecar drivers at Loudon and they pay "one lap" Joe the equivalent of the entire WMT purse. Shameful.

GM2
06-26-2012, 10:01 PM

David Ortiz makes $14.5 Million a year, whereas a single A player makes maybe $20K. How does MLB allow this?!? (see how ridiculous you sound when you compare the minors [mods] to the majors [cup]??)

Seriously. All I see on this board is whining and complaining. Car counts are down, purses are down. Nascar has implemented gear rules in all of their divisions from CUP through the K&N and now the mods are getting it for loudon? (honest question, did they have a gear rule previously? and has it changed?)

Gear rules were implemented as a way to keep the engine RPM's down since they were creeping up to the 10K range and making the engines even more expensive.

The spec engine isn't mandated. It's a way to try to lower the costs for the owners. Back when the engine came on the scene in 2006 the K&N teams jumped on it like wildfire. Why? because they knew that they were crazy to run $60K engines to win $8K. Yes, the power curve is different and they had to learn how to drive the cars with that engine, but they made it work. But at some tracks, some teams will still pull out the occasional built motor. Not sure what the rebuild costs are of a built vs a spec, but i thought that those were also supposed to be less for the spec.

Gee, do you know that there is also a composite body available for the K&N cars? that was also introduced as a money saving device. only a few teams on the east coast went to it. Mostly small teams that didn't have the knowledge/experience to hang their own bodies. Out on the west coast it was the opposite. Most of the teams went to it because they didn't have the experienced body builders that were available on the east coast. Also the composite body wasn't as aerodynamic and could not be modified. In typical nascar way, they changed the rules to try to level the field and gave the composite bodied vehicles a weight break and a much larger rear spoiler. But you don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Half time breaks suck. been involved in several races that have had them. not exciting for the fans and it takes a lot of strategy out of it for the crew chief. Rather than just riding around for the entire race with what they have, they'll actually have a chance to improve on the cars. Doubt this applies to the mods as much but in the K&N series they made the switch to 1/2 time breaks so that the teams wouldn't continue to hire CUP/Nationwide crews to pit the car.

There were rumors at a local large employer that one of their programs was in big trouble. This program employed many people. The Program Manager announced that there was no truth to the rumors and the program was safe. A week later the program was cancelled.

This is exactly what they did with the old Autozone Elite tour. Put up the good front, say that the series was going to be around and then pull the rug out from beneath them. Do I think that they are going to do this to the mods? no.

jaFor
06-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Can't someone find a way to shut Acadia up? This used to be a good forum until he decided to camp out here spewing his blather and trying to stir up controversy. In just one year he's posted over 250 times. Seldom does he really make sense. One of the problems is that other members fall into his "trap" and respond to him which just eggs him on. How about this for a real solution... DON"T RESPOND TO HIS POSTS!!!!

MJProcko
06-27-2012, 01:30 AM
David Ortiz makes $14.5 Million a year, whereas a single A player makes maybe $20K. How does MLB allow this?!? (see how ridiculous you sound when you compare the minors [mods] to the majors [cup]??)

A minor league baseball player has a contract. His team buys his glove, his cleats, his bats. He doesn't pay MLB to get on the field. If he can hit a fast ball or throw 98mph he'll get the chance to play along side Ortiz. If he can't he'll be let go. His daddy can't buy him the 1st base job.

A WMT racer and team spend their own money to get on the field, they pay Nascar a hefty sum just to get on the track. The spend more than that minor leaguer makes just to buy what they need to get on the field. His talent doesn't guarentee him a fair shot at the majors. A rich daddy or sponsor or a pretty face will get him much more opportunities in Nascar than talent will. There are many drivers in the so called minors as you put it that are much better drivers than some of the ones in the Majors but will never get that chance because they just couldn't spend their way or get someone to pay for them to get into the majors.

Comparing racing and baseball is pretty ridiculous.

Last week we went to go see the local minor league Mets team. $6 to get in..... ouch. Fortunately we had free tickets which you can find all around town for promotions (not good on Thursdays as that is dollar night). Show up at Thompson or Staford next month with $6 in your pocket and see if they let you in...... Yea, ridiculous.

Rentawrench
06-27-2012, 02:15 AM
This is too GM2 . Where are ALL those K&N teams that Jumped at the Spec Motor -NOW ?

GM2
06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
If you're trying to say that the small family teams left the series because of the spec motor that didn't have anything to do with it. Be thankful that most of the mod races are in New England. Hell, between Stafford, Thompson and Waterford that's more than 1/2 the schedule. What caused the small family teams to leave the series is that the series expanded beyond New England and the travel became the issue (time off of work, travel costs, etc...).

Andy Santerre won 4 titles in a row and had a very successful race team in operation (can't remember if it was a multi-car team or not) when the spec motor came out and he jumped on it when it came out because it made financial sense.

rim runner
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Can't someone find a way to shut Acadia up? This used to be a good forum until he decided to camp out here spewing his blather and trying to stir up controversy. In just one year he's posted over 250 times. Seldom does he really make sense. One of the problems is that other members fall into his "trap" and respond to him which just eggs him on. How about this for a real solution... DON"T RESPOND TO HIS POSTS!!!!

Boat rockers may be anoying at times, but they also are often the only ones who get the wheels of change moving.

Too many people these days just tow-the-company-line, and IMO it makes us worst as a people and country. I can't think of any redeeming qualities to come from the corporate world.

Acadia
06-29-2012, 08:43 PM
jaFor,

I do not trap anyone. They paint themselves into a corner. They do it willingly to themselves. There's a big difference.

The controversy exists, I or no one here caused it. We are just talking about it. While most are fans of the Tour, some are fans of a car or driver and will advocate for what they see as best for them, such as RGee, a forum moderator that is associated with the 18 Tour car, and those that have special interests as in trying to promote their business. That's when it gets messy. Most here are first and foremost fans and advocates of the Tour. And some here are far more knowledgeable than others.

- Acadia

ShawnCourchesne
06-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I think it gets messy Acadia when you make idiotic statements not based in fact, but rather just stuff that you make up in in the fairy tale little world you live in. I think when you go out in the morning to feed your pet Unicorn and visit your friend the little Leprechaun you come up with your crazy rantings here. Just like your statement that the winning team at NHMS will lose money. Remember somebody asked you to back up that statement with some evidence of fact by showing some sort of legit budget for a Whelen Modified Tour team? Remember someone asked you that and you disappeared with no comment or answer because you made up that stupid little statement in your head? Yeah. That's when it get's messy, when you have a good, constructive forum and someone comes here and just makes stuff up day after day after just to cause trouble.

MJProcko
06-30-2012, 07:28 PM
I think it gets messy Acadia when you make idiotic statements not based in fact, but rather just stuff that you make up in in the fairy tale little world you live in. I think when you go out in the morning to feed your pet Unicorn and visit your friend the little Leprechaun you come up with your crazy rantings here. Just like your statement that the winning team at NHMS will lose money. Remember somebody asked you to back up that statement with some evidence of fact by showing some sort of legit budget for a Whelen Modified Tour team? Remember someone asked you that and you disappeared with no comment or answer because you made up that stupid little statement in your head? Yeah. That's when it get's messy, when you have a good, constructive forum and someone comes here and just makes stuff up day after day after just to cause trouble.

Interesting you hounding Arcadia for an answer but I asked you for your opinion and instead of answering you spun it into getting on a racing journalist regarding a part of his story which I myself did not quote to you. I'll refresh your memory. We were posting about how things have changed since the late 80's-90's heyday and I responded to you.

'Ofcourse times are different. If you think all is wonderful maybe you can tell me besides adding Whelen, Bristol & the yet to be seen Daytona race, what has Nascar done to improve the WMT other than some safety advances.

Since we are quoting racers,
“I wish (NASCAR) would support (the modified tour) more. I’m sure they could support it more — I would like to see their bank account figures,” Christopher said with a laugh before getting serious. “I’m glad I won my (Modified) championship when I did, when it meant something. At least I had my own banquet and I didn’t share it with six other divisions that I don’t even know.” '

Like I also said to you...
'Do I think the WMT is the best for modifieds going, yes. Do I think Nascar can make major improvements and make it something special with minimal effort, you bet. Do I think Nascar wants to...... no, it's not in their business model.'

Now I shouldn't just assume your ducking because you could be compiling such a huge list of improvements by Nascar that you haven't finished yet.

MXCHAMP04
07-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Interesting you hounding Arcadia for an answer but I asked you for your opinion and instead of answering you spun it into getting on a racing journalist regarding a part of his story which I myself did not quote to you. I'll refresh your memory. We were posting about how things have changed since the late 80's-90's heyday and I responded to you.

'Ofcourse times are different. If you think all is wonderful maybe you can tell me besides adding Whelen, Bristol & the yet to be seen Daytona race, what has Nascar done to improve the WMT other than some safety advances.

Since we are quoting racers,
“I wish (NASCAR) would support (the modified tour) more. I’m sure they could support it more — I would like to see their bank account figures,” Christopher said with a laugh before getting serious. “I’m glad I won my (Modified) championship when I did, when it meant something. At least I had my own banquet and I didn’t share it with six other divisions that I don’t even know.” '

Like I also said to you...
'Do I think the WMT is the best for modifieds going, yes. Do I think Nascar can make major improvements and make it something special with minimal effort, you bet. Do I think Nascar wants to...... no, it's not in their business model.'

Now I shouldn't just assume your ducking because you could be compiling such a huge list of improvements by Nascar that you haven't finished yet.MJ it's clear to an outside observer who is here to specifically adavnce thier own agenda and pocketbooks, and who really wants to see positive change. Let them keep spewing, i'm just a fan now and wanna see RACING. Let's not forget that's what it is supossed to be about. Like teddy said and I agree with 100%. I'm also glad I won my motocross championships when I did, when it meant something, now even the mx world is messed up too.