PDA

View Full Version : 07/15/12 -Tom Flanagan & Shawn Sitarchyk share Mahoning Modified laurels

RGeeProductions
07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Paul Koehler scores big in Late Model 50

For Tom Flanagan, the third time was the charm in finally winning a Modified feature this season. In recent weeks he had been leading on two separate occasions but had been befallen with hard luck that cost him a shot at winning. This time, however, the Bethlehem driver was not to be denied as he held off a blitz of pursuers including the late race efforts of Matt Hirschman in winning his first race of the year.

In the regular night’s contest, Shawn Sitarchyk of Lehighton bested a number of foes including Nevin George who was all over him in the later laps and captured his career first Modified victory.

In the make-up feature from July 7, Flanagan started on the pole and grabbed the early lead. Over the first few laps he was chased by Matt Wentz. By lap nine it was George and point leader Earl Paules who ran side-by-side while riding Flanagan’s rear bumper. John Bennett and Hirschman were also among the front runners, keeping the action tight.

Flanagan was at no time at ease as the pressure behind him kept coming yet he never waned as was the case the previous two times he had been out front during a feature.

On lap 25 George and Bennett, while running second and third respectively, got into each other in turn two. George went up and over Bennett’s front-end causing each to fall from contention.

Hirschman was now second and was trying high and low over the final laps to pass Flanagan but each time he got a door slamming.

“Two times in a row we had been leading and the third time was the charm. On the last two restarts I saw that Matt (Hirschman) was on the outside of me and I was really going to have to be on my game. You have to do what you have to do,” said Flanagan.

“I want to thank my dad for giving me the opportunity to drive these cars every week and my crew who gives me an awesome car to race with.”

Bobby Jones out-raced Don Wagner on the final lap to grab fourth while Wentz rounded out the top five.
In the regularly run race, Troy Bollinger led the first lap but outside front row starter Sitarchyk took to the lead from the high grove the next time by.

If one thinks that Flanagan had his hand full on the way to winning, Sitarchyk was dealing with double the load.

Over the first half of the 35-lapper Kevin Rex, Jr., made numerous attempts at getting past and then it was Jones who stepped up to battle. On lap seventeen George had raced into second and like the aforementioned two, he also was hounding Sitarchyk.

On lap 20 the caution flag waved due to a spin by Hirschman. On the restart George crept into the lead but it would be short lived as the next time around Sitarchyk returned the favor.

For the remaining laps it became a great dogfight between the pair with Sitarchyk standing his ground for a well earned win.

“I really don’t know what to say. I have to thank everyone who put the car together for me. Everyone ran me clean and this was awesome. I knew we could do this,” said an elated Sitarchyk.

“On that last restart I saw Nevin (George) on the outside of me and thought we were in trouble but it was all good and he ran me clean and here we are. I’m just so excited to win in a Modified and this is great.”

Rex, Bennett and Paules completed the top five. Sitarchyk, George and Bennett annexed heat win.

After sitting out the last month of racing, Paul Koehler, Jr., of Northampton returned in a big way, winning the 50-lap George Ramos, Jr., Memorial. Koehler had been sidelined since June 30 due to a hard crash that badly damaged his car and the multi-time track champ couldn’t have picked a better time to come back.

He began the night by setting fast time in qualifying with a lap 10.382 at 86.688 mph. He redrew seventh for the feature and on a lap fourteen restart went into the lead. The rest of the way he would turn back all challengers for his 37th career Mahoning win and 56th overall.

Glen Slocum drew the pole position and led the first three tours. Geno Steigerwalt raced to the lead on lap four and then came Mike Sweeney. Driving the only Ford in the field, he went to the inside on the back straight and took command with eight laps complete.

Hot on his trail was Koehler who persistently kept trying to get by. His opportunity came on lap fourteen when the field was realigned after a caution. Koehler got a great run on Sweeney and the first lap back under green the lead was his.

While he would stay at the helm the rest of the way, there would be several who made his ride arduous especially that of Frankie Althouse. Numerous cautions over the second half of the race allowed Althouse several chances to outduel Koehler for the lead and despite running in two-wide at times, Koehler was able always to shake free.

“This felt great and I think the car is better than it’s ever been,” said Koehler who walked away with over $1100 in winnings.

Sweeney, Dave Wallace and Austin Kochenash rounded out the top five. For the first time this year point leader Paules did not make the top five. He was sixth after fighting back several times from spins and flat tires.

“All those caution were getting monotonous and you had to be patient. Frankie (Althouse) was running me pretty hard but it was all clean,” added Koehler.

“I want to dedicate this win to my close friend and crew member Ed Deitzer who passed away earlier this year and also thanks to the Ramos family and Mahoning Valley for everything they did in putting this race together for us Late Model guys.”

He’s 12-years old and he’s the “Real Deal.” Kyle Strohl of Palmerton picked up his second Street Stock win and fourth overall of the year, taking two triumphs as well with the 4-Cylinder Stocks.

Strohl, although starting from the pole and leading every lap, was in constant battle with runner-up Gene Bowers. Matter of fact Bowers was in position to take the lead with three laps to go but the race’s only caution waved for Kevin Smith you suffered a flat.

On the restart Strohl stayed sharp and held on for the popular win. Jillian Long was a solid third with Josh Mooney and Rich Moser rounding out the top five. Heat winners included Long, Strohl and Moser.
Dirt Mod point leader Kris Graver of Lehighton rolled to his seventh win in ten starts.

After a very close lead swapping duel with Mike Stofflet, Graver took the top spot for good after a lap 17 restart and from there he was unstoppable. Dave Thomas took second with Aleia Geisler third.
Barry Christman, Jr., of Northampton made an inside pass on early leader Tyler Stangle at the completion of lap 11 and then went on to his second 4-Cylinder Stock win of the season.

Division point leader Jeremy Miller and Jake Kibler took second and third.

With his fourth place finish, Kyle Strohl was the Front Wheel Drive bonus winner. Heat winners were Miller and Jake Kibler

Modified Feature Finish, (from 7/7) 35 Laps: 1. Tommy Flanagan, 2. Matt Hirschman, 3. Bobby Jones, 4. Don Wagner, 5. Matt Wentz, 6. John Markovic, 7. Shawn Sitarchyk, 8. Scott Meckes, 9. Nevin George, 10. Tyler Haydt, 11. Scott Meckes, 12. Matt Wentz, 13. Don Wagner, 14. Rob Shultz, 15. Keith Mullineaux, 16. Matt Higgins, 17. Jared Nace, 18. Troy Bollinger, 19. Terry Markovic, 20. Scott Lesher
Did not start: Doug Bell, Brian DeFebo, Roger Coss

Modified Feature Finish, 35 Laps: 1. Sitarchyk, 2. George, 3. Rex, Jr., 4. Bennett, 5. Paules, 6. John Markovic, 7. Flanagan, 8. Hirschman, 9. Jones, 10. Haydt, 11. Meckes, 12. Wentz, 13. Wagner, 14. Shultz, 15. Mullineaux, 16. Higgins, 17. Nace, 18. Bollinger, 19. Terry Markovic, 20. Lesher
Did not qualify: Bell

Late Model Feature Finish, 50 Laps: 1. Paul Koehler, Jr., 2. Frankie Althouse, 3. Mike Sweeney, 4. Dave Wallace, 5. Austin Kochenash, 6. Earl Paules, 7. Mark Simon, 8. Geno Steigerwalt, 9. George Ramos III< 10. Casey Creyer, 11. Paul Effrig, 12. Dave Imler, 13. Pat Hargan, 14. Charlie Brinkman, 15. Glenn Slocum Did not start: Rick Wallace, Kenny Hein

Street Stock Feature Finish, 25 Laps: 1. Kyle Strohl, 2. Gene Bowers, 3. Jillian Long, 4. Josh Mooney, 5. Rich Moser, 6. Jason Frey, 7. Randy Ahner, Jr., 8. Joe Steigerwalt, 9. TJ Gursky, 10. Jason Kuhn, 11. Zach Graver, 12. Todd Ahner, 13. Joe Roberts, 14. Lonnie Behler, 15. Joe Stamm, 16. BJ Wambold, 17. Kevin Smith, 18. Chris Parry, 19. Jason Beers, 20. Greg Long
Did not qualify:

Dirt Modified Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Kris Graver, 2. Dave Thomas, 3. Aleia Geisler, 4. Mark Levy, 5. Frank Parastino, 6. Mike Stofflet, 7. Joe Stangle, 8. Randy Thomas.

4-Cylinder Stock Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Barry Christman, Jr., 2. Jeremy Miller, 3. Jake Kibler, 4. Kyle Strohl, 5. Jake Oswald, 6. Nick Baer, 7. Justin Martison, 8. Bobby Kibler, Jr., 9. Doug Knauss, 10. Jeff Biegley, 11. Tyler Stangle, 12. Robert Miller, 13. Dan Freundt, 14. Cory Hill

Dino Oberto