PDA

View Full Version : TC / 36 done?

limodmaniac
07-18-2012, 09:02 AM
According to Facebook, TC and the 36 team are done.

Slotcar
07-18-2012, 09:35 AM
My wife and I can't thank Eddie Whelan enough for everything he has done for us with all the wins and championship. The 36 will be missed but Ted will be racing and the crew will be with him where ever he goes.

RacnJason00
07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
So is the 36 car done for the season with TC? They did this last season. I'm a huge TC fan

NONCENT$
07-18-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.racedayct.com/ Here is the story

SUfan
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
TC was notified on Monday night via a phone conversation with Ed Whelan.

ShawnCourchesne
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
SUfan, not sure where you heard that, that's not what those involved are saying and I didn't see that reported anywhere.
Ed Whelan told me he informed NASCAR today that he was shutting the team down.
These are Ted Christopher's exact words when I spoke with him at 9:41 a.m. this morning (Wednesday): "Everybody knows it but me. The car owner hasn’t told me. ... He didn’t tell me anything was going on, but supposedly I guess that’s the deal. Nobody has told me anything."
Later in the day today Ted said he got word from Ed that the team was shutting down.

New story posted on RaceDayCT, follow up to this morning. Ed Whelan said the team is done and he's not returning.

bud
07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
So all you what ever the tour does is the greatest people hows that working out. Shawn and his dont like it dont do it attitude....... like I said on his blog. Way easier to write dumb statements like that than to write checks every week. Eddies not coming back...... we will miss you and thanks for telling it like it is!

MOD11RACER
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
This is just the start.

The Modifieds have no leadership. NASCAR, Bateman and Harpell are a joke and are leading the Modifieds right into death.

modified_fan
07-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I have sponsored Wayne Anderson for about 12 years now.

For weeks I have teased Teddy about me pushing Wayne to get someone else (a Riverhead local) in the 15 for the tour race. Its fun teasing him, because he loves driving the 15at Riverhead and grumbles at me each time I bring up the subject of someone else in the seat.

This Saturday night as we sat in the stands before his feature I did the same. His reaction was am emphatic and swift...."No.....i've heard word that the 36's motors might be sold next week. Please hold back and lets see what shakes out."

Evidently he knew something was up, and learned the final word today.

Its sad seeing another team closing shop like this.

worm
07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
yes you are right,and kudos foe david hill speaking out. spec motor kiss of death!

wmass01013
07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
yes you are right,and kudos foe david hill speaking out. spec motor kiss of death!

I think Chad Little has been the death of this tour, this guy knows nothing about mods, has done nothing to improve this tour at all and to me is just a stepping stone paycheck from NASCAR

bud
07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
OMG careful about crossing the line here......the thread will be closed.......

uticamike
07-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Maybe...just maybe we could all keep our powder dry for a few days and then see if Ed Whelan might open up as to what transpired here.

RGeeProductions
07-18-2012, 10:00 PM
OMG careful about crossing the line here......the thread will be closed.......

If you don't like it here, don't come here.
Your accusations are really so far off and I am really tired of them.

jaFor
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
To paraphrase what Eddie said in Shawn's article... the WMT is economic suicide!

kja819
07-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree this is a shame..But in today's world I applaud each and every car owner, crew member and driver out there for sticking to it. I am sure it's as hard on there pocketbook as well. Is there a fix....not an easy one for any of the issues talked about on here. But not going to races because of a halftime break or any of the many other complaints I heard on here will not help the Tour with NASCAR or the tracks. If they can't draw a crowd then more tracks will say "NO". I live in Florida and I miss the mods each and every race. All I have is the forum to catch the action. Everyone who helps out on this site deserves to be thanked. As do the car owners, crew members and drivers. Say thanks to any one of them that you see. Even better if you can spare $10 or $20 dollars give it to the owner or driver it may not be much but every little bit counts. If you can't afford that then make sure you say "Thanks You" for giving us the best racing in the world...Just my 2 cents worth.

wrench1
07-19-2012, 03:18 PM
http://www.racedayct.com/ Here is the story

well said Bob G.thats all i will say,nothing else needs to b said.you firmly said it all.

jaFor
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Another way to say what Eddie and Gary have said is "enough is enough". If Bob G walks away it would make a bold statement as to where the WMT is today. Not that anybody cared (or cares) but that's what I did. WMT = Economic suicide!

worm
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
thats great bob has spoken out ,Greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttt

shep 06
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
One thing we all have in common we all love the modifieds.But nascar is not the only game in town.And if anybody thinks nascar gives a crap they are mistaken.The minute the mods become to big of a pain in the ass nascar will drop them,and no body at nascar headquarters will give a second thought.Their press release will say they had no support from teams, fans or nascar tracks.Kudos to any owner who has the balls to say something with out the fear of being spanked by Chad.JMO

BChat
07-19-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Chad is a Lawyer, I know I'm a retired Correction Officer. Given the choice of a lunch companion, I'll be at Cheshire Correctional.

Magicshoes12
07-20-2012, 08:07 AM
They can speak out all they want, but it doesn't mean anything when they show back up for the next race. That's where the statement is made. I do not wish to see any team leave but if something is that bad it's their choice to keep coming back. Now I know there are guys on here from Florida and else where, but as me growing up in CT and now living in VT, The entire TV talk, why not try to get a smaller network to put it up if the major ones wont. I've always thought that NESN would be a cool place to see the WMT. I think it would be great for the New England area and New York too. The sponsors would actually have attention in area's where they need them. They use to do Nascar New England at Stafford, I thought it was great I still was able to see the local racing with the guys I know. But back to subject. It sucks the 36 will be gone and sucks that guys aren't happy, but if they want to make the statement then don't show up, talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.

MXCHAMP04
07-20-2012, 11:21 AM
They can speak out all they want, but it doesn't mean anything when they show back up for the next race. That's where the statement is made. I do not wish to see any team leave but if something is that bad it's their choice to keep coming back. Now I know there are guys on here from Florida and else where, but as me growing up in CT and now living in VT, The entire TV talk, why not try to get a smaller network to put it up if the major ones wont. I've always thought that NESN would be a cool place to see the WMT. I think it would be great for the New England area and New York too. The sponsors would actually have attention in area's where they need them. They use to do Nascar New England at Stafford, I thought it was great I still was able to see the local racing with the guys I know. But back to subject. It sucks the 36 will be gone and sucks that guys aren't happy, but if they want to make the statement then don't show up, talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.You're right MS12. If these owners keep showing up, then nothing will change. IMO, the only way to make things better is to increase the purse. 600.00 for 9th place and they spent 4000.00 is a complete joke. 25,000 to win now down to 10,000 at Loudon is ridiculous considering how much costs have gone up. I read all of the reports, and Chad Little's response, and he sure sounds very arrogant, almost like a take it or leave it attitude, in disguise of saying we don't want anyone to leave. It's really pathetic. But the owners have the ultimate control, they just have to exercise it. But racers wanna race, but also will eventually get fed up, sounds like Ed Whelan is already there. It looks like WMT faithful are looking elsewhere. Szegedy running shows on the MRS, BG taking the car to Seekonk, up and comers going right to the MRS, I think it's great. To the WMT owners, the MRS is a great series you should give it a try.

RacnJason00
07-20-2012, 07:59 PM
One thing we all have in common we all love the modifieds.But nascar is not the only game in town.And if anybody thinks nascar gives a crap they are mistaken.The minute the mods become to big of a pain in the ass nascar will drop them,and no body at nascar headquarters will give a second thought.Their press release will say they had no support from teams, fans or nascar tracks.Kudos to any owner who has the balls to say something with out the fear of being spanked by Chad.JMO

I agree 1000%%%% Shep is right, NASCAR doesn't care!!!!

hasbeen
07-20-2012, 08:36 PM
If I could ask you or anyone that might have an answer,why did'nt the teams that are "tired" of NASCAR run one of the other "tours" instead of just quiting???
I remember back in the 70s Richie Evans got tired of there "games" and ran "outlaw or open" (forget what it was called)competition..
I really never did understand the "lure" of NASCAR .......
Thanks

CuriousGeorge
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
^^Purse is even less in all the other tours

uticamike
07-21-2012, 08:15 AM
^^Purse is even less in all the other tours

True but the purse is only part of thee equation. Expenses/purses is the way owners look at it. Then factor in the "fun" quotient and see if it is worth it all.

Seems the loyal longtime owners on the Tour are at or near the bottom. Something has to give. I think we are soon going to see if NASCAR really cares about their

Modified division. I'd also like to hear Phil Kurze's take on all this. If you want to really know why those of us who are deemed malcontents are out here, it's

because of things like this. From the wayback machine I found this.>> http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2009/11/nascar-planning-for-more-whele.html

Like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown.

Groundpounder
07-21-2012, 09:10 AM
With the recent "response" from Chad Little ( http://www.racedayct.com/article/NASCAR_Whelen_Modified_Tour_Director_Chad_Little_R esponds_To_Pressing_Competitor_Concerns ), I feel this is the beginning of the end for nascar sanctioned modified racing. At least in any form remotely resembling what we have now anyway. They (nascar officials and spec motor proponents) keep using the K&N series as an example. Well, if that's what they are aiming for then we won't recognize the tour in another couple years. The K&N series has what, 1 team left from the old Busch North days? If someone is there to step in with the means and know-how to take modified racing into the future without nascar, then it could be an overall positive thing for modified racing in the long run though. A certain New England promoter tried that once before, but apparently the timing wasn't right. It appears as though the right time could be just around the corner.

NC Mudcat
07-21-2012, 09:56 AM
If I could ask you or anyone that might have an answer,why did'nt the teams that are "tired" of NASCAR run one of the other "tours" instead of just quiting???
I remember back in the 70s Richie Evans got tired of there "games" and ran "outlaw or open" (forget what it was called)competition..
I really never did understand the "lure" of NASCAR .......
Thanks

I don't understand it either. Down here, the drivers and fans all gripe about NASCAR, but anytime a track opens or changes management, the promoter can't wait to get the check in the mail so they can hang that NASCAR banner. As a fan, I think it's cool a weekly track can have a national champion from their track, so in that respect, it makes sense for a weekly track to be NASCAR, but only 1 guy in the field each week has a shot at that title. All of the others are paying extra to help that one guy. As for a series, if the WMT means as little as the drivers and owners say, then bail out. Try another series, try a weekly track or whatever. You may find something you really like. As much as I love modifieds and the thought of the tour, I personally wish the teams would ALL get together and have a big picnic the day of the next race; spend $100 each on picnic stuff, and have a ball while the car sits in the shop. Leave NASCAR holding the bag, and then watch for either major changes on the series, or the checkered flag on the series. Either way, the teams can move forward on their own, without Daytona telling them how it's going to be.

In the area where I live, American Legion Baseball is huge. But by design, which is what some folks want, the teams play 5 or 6 games per week during the summer season, then playoffs start. Several years back, my son played 54 games in 70 days, and they got eliminated the round before the state championships. It was just too much. So the high school coaches from the closest 3 counties sat down in a room and developed a plan for a league with a team from each school, in which they would play 3 games each week for 8 weeks. They combined JV and varsity so there was enough players each week when some went on vacation, and they kept records and had a season champ, but no tournament. It was perfect. There were a few that wanted more games, so they went to an American Legion team, and all were happy. The point to this long story is simply that they did not like the deal they were in, so they came up with another idea, and it suited everyone. In the case of WMT, the "another idea" may be already there and waiting on these teams! If not, get together and develop a new one. I'm sure a lot of track promoters would listen.

JWfor8x
07-21-2012, 10:46 AM
With the recent "response" from Chad Little ( http://www.racedayct.com/article/NASCAR_Whelen_Modified_Tour_Director_Chad_Little_R esponds_To_Pressing_Competitor_Concerns ), I feel this is the beginning of the end for nascar sanctioned modified racing. At least in any form remotely resembling what we have now anyway. They (nascar officials and spec motor proponents) keep using the K&N series as an example. Well, if that's what they are aiming for then we won't recognize the tour in another couple years. The K&N series has what, 1 team left from the old Busch North days? If someone is there to step in with the means and know-how to take modified racing into the future without nascar, then it could be an overall positive thing for modified racing in the long run though. A certain New England promoter tried that once before, but apparently the timing wasn't right. It appears as though the right time could be just around the corner.

My memory is spotty at best, but didn't the late Tom Baldwin and others try that a few years ago? I seem to remember something about teaming with ASA for a northern tour, but again, my memory is not good.

Brian Hawks
07-21-2012, 11:11 AM
My memory is spotty at best, but didn't the late Tom Baldwin and others try that a few years ago? I seem to remember something about teaming with ASA for a northern tour, but again, my memory is not good.

SMART Tour down South ran for years by itself. As soon as Randy Myers got ASA teamed up with the tour and got a little press coverage, NASCAR showed interest. It can be done, takes a ton of work by people who love the sport and step up to get tracks, crews, drivers, sponsors, insurance and car counts, but it can be done. Randy Myers has the ideas to put on a great Southern Tour, just doesn't have the money backing.

I'll say the fun level has went from VERY FUN to, like working a job when you goto the race track. Yes, the purse sucks. But making you feel welcome would be a great start. Those guys don't care if you even show up... they may "say" they care... but they don't.

I'm very happy to see along the lines of facebook, and RaceDayCT that car owners are speaking out. It's time everyone stopped walking around ticked off all the time and time everyone went back to enjoying the hobby of modified racing.

hasbeen
07-21-2012, 11:36 AM
SMART Tour down South ran for years by itself. As soon as Randy Myers got ASA teamed up with the tour and got a little press coverage, NASCAR showed interest. It can be done, takes a ton of work by people who love the sport and step up to get tracks, crews, drivers, sponsors, insurance and car counts, but it can be done. Randy Myers has the ideas to put on a great Southern Tour, just doesn't have the money backing.

I'll say the fun level has went from VERY FUN to, like working a job when you goto the race track. Yes, the purse sucks. But making you feel welcome would be a great start. Those guys don't care if you even show up... they may "say" they care... but they don't.

I'm very happy to see along the lines of facebook, and RaceDayCT that car owners are speaking out. It's time everyone stopped walking around ticked off all the time and time everyone went back to enjoying the hobby of modified racing.

That is something else I noticed today..I go to the local track weekly..Go to "tour" race a couple times a year..Dont hang in pits when races are over,but I do remember all the fun EVERYONE had once the races were over back when I had hair and was young :) My point is from what I see today,the last thing I see is anyone having fun racing anymore..Maybe when Tom and Randy tried the "other way" it wasnt the right time,but from what IM reading and hearing the time couldnt be more right than NOW

JE711618
07-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry if this sounds absurd to some. I'm not anywhere near mechanically inclined. With that said..
If NASCAR is so dedicated to their first sanctioned division and brag so proudly on their rich history, why haven't they ever put forth the effort with marketing, promoting the division as well as set a more open tech rule for the division/tour? Is their pride to strong headed to take a look at why the World of Outlaws series works for the Late Models, Sprints, and Mods? There are about 15 guys that run the full Outlaw Sprint schedule. The rest of the field, on any given tour stop, is made up of teams that are regional. The system works..
For the longest time, before NASCAR started back up with the "US vs. Them" mentality, the modified division, as a whole, could make minor adjustments and compete at any given event. Thompson 300, the 500's at Martinsville, Oswego Classic, Sizzler, Stafford 200, etc.. were filled with the best the division had to offer. When the tour originally started, it worked. I remember when my father was promoting Claremont Speedway in 1985 and brought the tour there (an unsanctioned track) the track regulars all showed to defend their turf and did well too. Dwight Jarvis comes to mind..
Is it so hard for everyone to make the effort, get together, and agree on certain cost issues ie; tech, fees, licenses, admission; for the sake of the division? Think of the World of Outlaws and the success they've continued to enjoy..
Imagine the return of the great aforementioned races and the many we've lost along the way that I haven't mentioned..
I may have my head in the clouds, but with a little swallowing of the pride by certain parties and some effort I don't believe this would be unachievable.. For the sake of our beloved division. At some point the modified division and community has fragmented terribly and lost it's way. Before it's too late, we need to find our way back. Fixing something that wasn't broke is what fragmented the division..
Maybe I should have posted this as a new thread, but from what I read on this thread it seemed valid to post.
Anyways, that's my two cents. Thanks

bud
07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry if this sounds absurd to some. I'm not anywhere near mechanically inclined. With that said..
If NASCAR is so dedicated to their first sanctioned division and brag so proudly on their rich history, why haven't they ever put forth the effort with marketing, promoting the division as well as set a more open tech rule for the division/tour? Is their pride to strong headed to take a look at why the World of Outlaws series works for the Late Models, Sprints, and Mods? There are about 15 guys that run the full Outlaw Sprint schedule. The rest of the field, on any given tour stop, is made up of teams that are regional. The system works..
For the longest time, before NASCAR started back up with the "US vs. Them" mentality, the modified division, as a whole, could make minor adjustments and compete at any given event. Thompson 300, the 500's at Martinsville, Oswego Classic, Sizzler, Stafford 200, etc.. were filled with the best the division had to offer. When the tour originally started, it worked. I remember when my father was promoting Claremont Speedway in 1985 and brought the tour there (an unsanctioned track) the track regulars all showed to defend their turf and did well too. Dwight Jarvis comes to mind..
Is it so hard for everyone to make the effort, get together, and agree on certain cost issues ie; tech, fees, licenses, admission; for the sake of the division? Think of the World of Outlaws and the success they've continued to enjoy..
Imagine the return of the great aforementioned races and the many we've lost along the way that I haven't mentioned..
I may have my head in the clouds, but with a little swallowing of the pride by certain parties and some effort I don't believe this would be unachievable.. For the sake of our beloved division. At some point the modified division and community has fragmented terribly and lost it's way. Before it's too late, we need to find our way back. Fixing something that wasn't broke is what fragmented the division..
Maybe I should have posted this as a new thread, but from what I read on this thread it seemed valid to post.
Anyways, that's my two cents. Thanks

Was your dad Bob Echo?

bud
07-21-2012, 10:28 PM
ok chad.................:lol:

JE711618
07-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Was your dad Bob Echo?

Yes, Bud, he is my father.

bud
07-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I worked with him at Claremont and Sugar Hill Speedways. Very passionate about racing. Fun guy for sure. Definitely. Miss him!

JE711618
07-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I worked with him at Claremont and Sugar Hill Speedways. Very passionate about racing. Fun guy for sure. Definitely. Miss him!

Thank you, Bud. Miss him everyday. After all the great races we were fortunate to take in when he was with Speedways Scene, I most enjoyed my time working with him at Sugar Hill. He in the tower and me on the flagstand. He was a great father and real fun to work with. Lenny West was equally a great guy to work for.

Axel
07-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Is Ted Chirstopher running the 15 on Saturday? Does anyone know? Hope so - it'll make the race, that more exciting.

He'll be a threat to win in anything he drives.

JWfor8x
07-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Is Ted Chirstopher running the 15 on Saturday? Does anyone know? Hope so - it'll make the race, that more exciting.

He'll be a threat to win in anything he drives.

Saturday, Bob Finan was announcing that TC would be in the #15 for the Tour race this Saturday.

Axel
07-23-2012, 11:16 AM
good to hear!

jfp711
07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
TC Is in the #15 for riverhead tour race......confirmed