PDA

View Full Version : How are winnings distributed among drivers/owners?

Axel
07-25-2012, 10:48 AM
This one has always bothered me, since I was a kid and first learned that drivers were not always the owners of the cars. Is there a rule of thumb? Etiquette?

Just being nosy, but if an owner is gonna spend tens of thousands of dollars over the course of a year to buy and maintain equipment, haul from race to race and house the car, do they get a percentage of the winnings? Not looking for exact numbers, but how does it work?

limodmaniac
07-25-2012, 01:00 PM
I believe it is the owner of the car who gets paid.

mod35
07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
I know for local racing that the driver gets the check

Linda
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
At the beginning of the season (at least the WMT) you have to fill out forms indicating who gets the money, driver vs. owner, and then that person has to fill out and sign a W-9 form as well.

mod35
07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Linda
Your correct some local tracks do it that way. Some pay the driver

NWMT PR
07-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Pursuant to Section 16-1 of the NASCAR Rule Book, Establishment and Distribution of Prize Money, prize money in all Events that is won by a driver and/or any other eligible Competitor of the car owner’s team shall be paid by NASCAR to the team’s car owner. The car owner, and not NASCAR, shall be solely responsible for the distribution of such prize money to the driver and/or other eligible Competitor(s), and the sole recourse of such driver or other Competitor(s) shall be against the car owner.

The above also applies to special awards (Coors, Featherlite, etc.)

Axel
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
interesting. Cool. Thanks guys!

JMB
07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I am pretty sure the split of the money depends on whatever each owner\driver combo agrees on. For the Cup and Nationwide Series it was figured that the driver got 30 to 40% of the winnings if they were driving for someone else. For the Tour, I am not sure how that works out. There are likely some guys getting paid to drive and others forgoing payment in order to pay for stuff on the car depending on the situation with the team.

Linda
07-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I am pretty sure the split of the money depends on whatever each owner\driver combo agrees on. For the Cup and Nationwide Series it was figured that the driver got 30 to 40% of the winnings if they were driving for someone else. For the Tour, I am not sure how that works out. There are likely some guys getting paid to drive and others forgoing payment in order to pay for stuff on the car depending on the situation with the team.

You're right JMB, as I stated in my previous post. I am "car owner" of the #38, but I DO NOT receive the winnings, Wade does, he really owns the car. You can't be owner and the driver of the car at the same time per Nascar, that's how they get two Nascar licenses out of each car.... I signed a form at the beginning of the season stating Wade gets the money and he filled out the W-9.

MJProcko
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
You can't be owner and the driver of the car at the same time per Nascar, that's how they get two Nascar licenses out of each car....

Sorry Linda, I'd say Nascar knows how to nickel and dime thier racers but sadly the cost of a license is alot of nickels and dimes.

SteveS
07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Sorry Linda, I'd say Nascar knows how to nickel and dime thier racers but sadly the cost of a license is alot of nickels and dimes.

Yeah but surely it has something to do with saving the teams money.

MJProcko
07-26-2012, 03:42 PM

theyneed to realize that everytime they try to save teams money it's the good people like Linda and Wade that they are hurting.

KChez
07-27-2012, 02:46 PM

Yeah, that works kinda like the government spending their way out of debt (NASCAR's "cost saving" ideas)

Tower Man
07-29-2012, 09:01 AM
My deal with my drivers is, JTL Enterprises receives the cash and the driver gets the hardware. Point Fund checks go to my drivers as well. I had to complete tax forms for Riverhead so they can send my company the 1099.