PDA

View Full Version : unoh race

csammy
08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
the thompson unoh / thompson 300 is now a 200 lap total race 75 -75 for both north and south team with a 50 lap shoot out and on top of a shortened race they want lap sponsers for the 50 lap shoot out
way to go nascar / chad little gee i wonder if they will have to race all 200 laps on one set of tires remember cost savings ha ha

worm
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
still no entry for this race from nascar

Magicshoes12
08-16-2012, 08:02 AM
the thompson unoh / thompson 300 is now a 200 lap total race 75 -75 for both north and south team with a 50 lap shoot out and on top of a shortened race they want lap sponsers for the 50 lap shoot out
way to go nascar / chad little gee i wonder if they will have to race all 200 laps on one set of tires remember cost savings ha ha

The 50 Lap Shoot-out has nothing to do with Nascar, That is all Mr. Hoenig, Donald Pays that out himself not Nascar

RGeeProductions
08-16-2012, 11:48 AM
200 laps on the same tires? Huh?
75 + 50 would be 125.....

MJProcko
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
You would think that $220 bucks to get in the front gate for a family of 4 would cover a lap or two.

worm
08-16-2012, 05:07 PM
25 cars to start each race, 500.00 to take green

worm
08-16-2012, 05:30 PM
32 cars in 50 lapper, 500.00 to take green ,15000.00 to win

BigMac
08-16-2012, 10:55 PM
You would think that $220 bucks to get in the front gate for a family of 4 would cover a lap or two.

You'd think!!

The ticket prices are $5 higher this year and the races are 100 laps shorter. Thats like the Red Sox charging more money and only playing 7 innings.

WhelenTour27
08-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Not to mention you're seeing glorified heat races in every other division instead of features

csg
08-17-2012, 03:08 PM
The extra five dollars this year is due to the State of CT adding a 10% admissions tax. It is not going into Don's pocket. The other $50 is going into his pocket. I have no idea why they cut the laps, my guess is to save on purse. Anyone know if they are counting cautions in this race, did they count them last year? Be interesting to see how many Yankee Southerners will fill out the South field this year.

I stopped going to Thompson, when the cars in the weekly divisions stopped showing up. The show just isnt worth the money they charge on most nights. From what I hear from friends he is still drawing pretty good for tour shows even at the price he charges.

CuriousGeorge
08-17-2012, 04:13 PM
This event is going to be great, been looking forward to the 50 lap shootout ever since last years ended. Alot of time was spent "riding around" in last yrs 125's, and on only 1 set of tires, which I'm guessing is why they shortened them to 75laps. I have no problem with that. The 50 lap shootout, double file restarts all the way, and not counting caution laps is great. They dont HAVE to do this, and might not in the future if drivers and fans dont show, so why not just stop complaining and support what should be a great Sunday of racing...

kja819
08-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Wish I could be there....but that isn't going to happen seeing as I'm in Florida....What's the rest of your excuses why you won't be there. May be flash races but you get to see a lot of racing just the same. AND Thompson pays the shootout purse out of his pocket. Not all $50 stays home.... Also so if you start both you are guaranteed a $1000. When was the last time a tour race did that I wonder. Support your local tracks or you won't have any tracks to go too. Happened in NC where I was living and here in Florida weekly racing has divisions with 4 cars in them...You ain't got it all that bad!!!!

MJProcko
08-21-2012, 05:44 PM
If it's called the UNOH Showdown and they are only paying on the 75 lap races then it's really not the UNOH showdown is it - Thompson should have gotten a another sponsor for the showdown portion then.

wmass01013
08-21-2012, 10:07 PM
If it's called the UNOH Showdown and they are only paying on the 75 lap races then it's really not the UNOH showdown is it - Thompson should have gotten a another sponsor for the showdown portion then.

Actually the day races are
North TOWN FAIR TIRE 75
South GREENE POINT ENERGY 75
AND UNOH SHOWDON 50

MJProcko
08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Actually the day races are
North TOWN FAIR TIRE 75
South GREENE POINT ENERGY 75
AND UNOH SHOWDON 50

Then I don't see how Don is paying the showdown purse out of his pocket as people are posting.....

NWMT PR
08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
In a previous thread I said I would share some info on this event when the entry blank was out. I received mine today, but that other thread looks to be gone now, so here you go.

Practice and Qualifying on Saturday. On-track autograph session and races on Sunday.

The NWMT and NWSMT races are 75 laps apiece. Cautions will count in those races. Those races have seen a 40% reduction in laps from the inaugural event and an 11% reduction in total advertised awards. The tire rule is a max of 8 total = 4 for practice and 4 for qualifying/race, no changes during the races.

The Showdown remains 50 laps, cautions do not count. The advertised awards are exactly the same as last year, except for this year's Showdown field will have a max of 32 cars and last year's max was 36. Teams transfering to the Showdown will be allowed to purchase 4 additional tires.

Gear rule for SPEC is the same as a built motor.

If you will remember, following last year's inaugural event, the track stated that they were going to evaluate how the format worked and if any changes were warranted for this year. The Showdown continues to be the marquee event of the weekend, and I'm sure the individual races will prove to be exciting as well, with only 75 laps to the checkers.

JEFF
08-28-2012, 04:56 PM
75 laps and cautions count. what will we see a 40 green flag laps ? laps cut, purse cut but $55 to get in. that sure did not get cut.

wmass01013
08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
75 laps and cautions count. what will we see a 40 green flag laps ? laps cut, purse cut but $55 to get in. that sure did not get cut.

the $55 part i dont like even if they were running 300 laps each!!!!!!

i like the 75 lap races, and to those who keeep asking will cautions counnt, PLEASE IF THIS IS A TOUR RACE THEN CAUTIONS WILL ALWAYS COUNT AS NASCAR RUNS THE TOUR THE SAME AS CUP, 75 laps could be fun to see guys charge and not lay back til the end

THE 50 LAP SHOWDOWN in my opinion should be OPEN COMP ALL WEEKEND AND NOT TAKEN FROM THE 2 TOUR RACES, let anyone show up with THOMPSON LEGAL RULES, HAVE 2 25 LAP HEATS ON SAT AND A LAST CHANCE 25 LAP RACE FIRST ON SUNDAY AND RUN THE $15000 TO WIN RACE AND SEE WHO SHOWS UP

csammy
08-28-2012, 08:11 PM
so if the north has a sponser for there 75 lap feature and the south has a sponser for there 75 lap feature and unoh is sponsering the 50 lap shoot out
then why is thompson looking for lap sponsers for the 50 lap shoot out more so when we will be paying $55.00 to get in reduced laps reduced purse but no gate cost reduction for the fans shows you how a great thompson 300 has become

csammy
08-28-2012, 08:22 PM
my question is this how come only 32 cars tranfering to the 50 lap shoot out
oh i think i get it the posted awards will be the same as last year so unoh must of paid a reduced purse since nascar says same amount of moeny paid out but there will be less cars running so i guess that equals same purse pay out as last year

worm
08-29-2012, 07:08 PM
also southern cars get free travling fuel to get to race

wrench1
08-30-2012, 07:58 AM
also southern cars get free travling fuel to get to race

last year thet got 500.00 in fuel each and a free breakfeast at the club house.why doesnt the northern teams get the same when they go south.it was payed for by nascar.

CuriousGeorge
08-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Who cares. I'l bring you a buttered roll Sunday and some OJ if you'd like

NWMT PR
08-31-2012, 04:37 PM
40 entries in as of now, 22 NWMT teams and 18 NWSMT. Of those 18, 16 are true NWSMT teams, with the 71 Fuller and 50 Hirschman (Goodale car) entered as NWSMT.

There are a handful more expected that an entry has yet to be received for.

Full entry list will be posted at nascarhometracks.com on Monday.

wrench1
09-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Who cares. I'l bring you a buttered roll Sunday and some OJ if you'd like

i will take u up on the offer,just saying how the southern teams get compensated by nascar to come to a show.northern teams get nothing.i perfer eggs and bacon plz.

Magicshoes12
09-04-2012, 10:25 AM
The Procedure: The maximum starting field for the Town Fair Tire Northern 75 is 25 cars, including provisionals. The first 20 cars will have secured starting positions based on two-lap qualifying. The remaining five spots will be awarded through the provisional process. The race is scheduled for 75 laps (46.875 miles) and it is a no-tire-change race.

Why only a 25 car max starting field for the northern? Granted there are only 25 cars on the list right now...it just seems like a fishy scam...staying at home for this one, just going to follow on the computer....i personally believe and these are solely my opinions...$55 for front gate and $60 for pits are too high in my book (especially coming down from Vermont, 4 hour 232 mile drive). The car counts at Thompson have been pitiful this year making saturday pretty much null (qual and practice for the WMT only thing really going on) Having this race on a Sunday too, Yes I know Thompson does their big shows on Sunday, but a "SHOWDOWN" should be under the lights on a Saturday Night making it easier for people to travel home on Sundays. Maybe Thompson and Waterford could work something out next year (doubtful) to where this wouldn't effect a few drivers and some fans. Perhaps have it on Labor Day Weekend where most everyone has Monday off, I don't know, just some thoughts. Lastly the 75 laps with Cautions Counting is what is deferring me the second most. (Ticket Price is #1), but who knows you might see a quick 35 minute no caution race (doubtful with WMT recent history at Thompson). Just too bad, could have a wicked cool thing, but to me just seems like more and more little things keep popping up making it to me sound like eh...but those are just my opinions but i'm just one fan that won't effect anything that goes on.

MXCHAMP04
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
The Procedure: The maximum starting field for the Town Fair Tire Northern 75 is 25 cars, including provisionals. The first 20 cars will have secured starting positions based on two-lap qualifying. The remaining five spots will be awarded through the provisional process. The race is scheduled for 75 laps (46.875 miles) and it is a no-tire-change race.

Why only a 25 car max starting field for the northern? Granted there are only 25 cars on the list right now...it just seems like a fishy scam...staying at home for this one, just going to follow on the computer....i personally believe and these are solely my opinions...$55 for front gate and $60 for pits are too high in my book (especially coming down from Vermont, 4 hour 232 mile drive). The car counts at Thompson have been pitiful this year making saturday pretty much null (qual and practice for the WMT only thing really going on) Having this race on a Sunday too, Yes I know Thompson does their big shows on Sunday, but a "SHOWDOWN" should be under the lights on a Saturday Night making it easier for people to travel home on Sundays. Maybe Thompson and Waterford could work something out next year (doubtful) to where this wouldn't effect a few drivers and some fans. Perhaps have it on Labor Day Weekend where most everyone has Monday off, I don't know, just some thoughts. Lastly the 75 laps with Cautions Counting is what is deferring me the second most. (Ticket Price is #1), but who knows you might see a quick 35 minute no caution race (doubtful with WMT recent history at Thompson). Just too bad, could have a wicked cool thing, but to me just seems like more and more little things keep popping up making it to me sound like eh...but those are just my opinions but i'm just one fan that won't effect anything that goes on.I'm with you. Forget this race. 75 laps with cautions. Yeah right. And with wings and wheels saturday night at waterford, I will skip this one. And 55.00 a ticket. Nope, can't do it. Can afford it but I have my limits.

NWMT PR
09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Why only a 25 car max starting field for the northern? Granted there are only 25 cars on the list right now...it just seems like a fishy scam...staying at home for this one, just going to follow on the computer....i personally believe and these are solely my opinions...$55 for front gate and $60 for pits are too high in my book (especially coming down from Vermont, 4 hour 232 mile drive). The car counts at Thompson have been pitiful this year making saturday pretty much null (qual and practice for the WMT only thing really going on) Having this race on a Sunday too, Yes I know Thompson does their big shows on Sunday, but a "SHOWDOWN" should be under the lights on a Saturday Night making it easier for people to travel home on Sundays. Maybe Thompson and Waterford could work something out next year (doubtful) to where this wouldn't effect a few drivers and some fans. Perhaps have it on Labor Day Weekend where most everyone has Monday off, I don't know, just some thoughts. Lastly the 75 laps with Cautions Counting is what is deferring me the second most. (Ticket Price is #1), but who knows you might see a quick 35 minute no caution race (doubtful with WMT recent history at Thompson). Just too bad, could have a wicked cool thing, but to me just seems like more and more little things keep popping up making it to me sound like eh...but those are just my opinions but i'm just one fan that won't effect anything that goes on.

I'm with you. Forget this race. 75 laps with cautions. Yeah right. And with wings and wheels saturday night at waterford, I will skip this one. And 55.00 a ticket. Nope, can't do it. Can afford it but I have my limits.

If you're basing your decision to attend this weekend soley on the admission price and number of Modified Tour laps that will be run, then I suggest you compare the UNOH Showdown to the World Series. The World Series will be a 150-lap Modified Tour race with admission $55. This weekend will be 75 laps of Whelen Modified Tour + 75 laps of Whelen Southern Modified Tour + 50 green flag laps of combo racing = probably around 225 or so total laps for the same $55 price, and some might say a more intriguing format.

Now I understand the World Series has more going on with other series participating, it's the season finale, etc. I'm just saying, based solely on those two individual variables, that this week's event stacks up with any other Modified Tour race at Thompson, in my opion anyway.

wrench1
09-04-2012, 04:18 PM
If you're basing your decision to attend this weekend soley on the admission price and number of Modified Tour laps that will be run, then I suggest you compare the UNOH Showdown to the World Series. The World Series will be a 150-lap Modified Tour race with admission $55. This weekend will be 75 laps of Whelen Modified Tour + 75 laps of Whelen Southern Modified Tour + 50 green flag laps of combo racing = probably around 225 or so total laps for the same $55 price, and some might say a more intriguing format.

Now I understand the World Series has more going on with other series participating, it's the season finale, etc. I'm just saying, based solely on those two individual variables, that this week's event stacks up with any other Modified Tour race at Thompson, in my opion anyway.

i agree with shawn,did i just say that.

MXCHAMP04
09-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Now I understand the World Series has more going on with other series participating, it's the season finale, etc. I'm just saying, based solely on those two individual variables, that this week's event stacks up with any other Modified Tour race at Thompson, in my opion anyway.I agree with you about the total number of laps. However, part of the excitement of the WMT compared to other series is pit stop strategy, see who is gonna take tires and when, whose car will really improve after taking tires, etc. Watching TC last year really have a mediocre car for half the race, came in took a couple tires and made a chassis adjustment and flew through the pack afterwards, was the most exciting racing I have ever seen. That's what's gonna be missing. And do you really think the SWMT teams want to come all this way to run 75 laps? Racers wanna race, not feel like they're being ripped off. The fact that Thompson just added the MRS to the World Series weekend just enhanced that weekend 100 fold, and is now a can't miss event, so much so i'm trying to get a camper for the weekend so I can camp at the track. Thanks Don and Jack for making it happen.

BOWATCHER
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Would it be possible to have vmrs run weekly like thompson on thursdays . Has anyone ever entertained that thought .
Just an idea i had. it could be any area track I think with declining car counts in all divisions it could be an interesting situation

CynthiaTork
09-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Would it be possible to have vmrs run weekly like thompson on thursdays . Has anyone ever entertained that thought .
Just an idea i had. it could be any area track I think with declining car counts in all divisions it could be an interesting situation

Star Speedway runs modifieds weekly with VMRS rules, just American Racers for tires

csg
09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Thompson tried running tour type modifieds on a semi regular basis a year or two ago. The car counts were not spectacular, they increased admission on nights which included the modifieds and I guess it wasn't successful as they didnt run them the following season. I believe it was a once a month basis or so, kind of like the pro stocks are doing this year. Star has modifieds, they are not quite weekly but they are there regularly, and seem to be doing pretty well with the division. Monadnock dropped their modified division going into this year indicating they didnt have a strong enough commitment from their drivers. Running tour type modifieds on a weekly basis in the northeast has recently proven to be a difficult venture for most tracks.

worm
09-06-2012, 10:16 AM
why not just have a 300 combo race like bristol! not 75-75-50

Teds Race Tours
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
The 300 Needs to make a comeback.....but as an open comp event, not as a series event.

worm
09-06-2012, 11:53 AM
ya sounds good.let ben and brookie run it

csg
09-08-2012, 01:01 PM
i dont know, while I would love to see a big open competition modified show at thompson. The open competition shows seem to struggle attracting cars. The first year of the Star race was not well attended by drivers, and I think they had just barely over a full field this season. The show at Seekonk has seen car counts drop over the years. I dont think these guys race for money, I think they race for points.

JE711618
09-11-2012, 10:49 AM
It's been mentioned quite a bit that the Southern Tour teams received gas money and show money for the race this past weekend at Thompson (as well as last year). If this is the case, do the Northern Tour teams receive gas money or show money to go to Bristol? It's been said the licenses and fees for the Northern Mod Tour are far more expensive than the Southern Mod Tour. Why the price break for the Southern Mod teams and crews? If these statements are true and the Northern guys don't receive show money or gas money for travelling to Bristol, what is the reasoning for not assisting them as well as what is the reasoning behind the difference in license fees?

Just curious, and I'm not trying to start something here. I feel it's a legit question that deserves an honest answer. Maybe the Nascar PR gentleman, who posts on here, can clarify.

Racer1_NC
09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
As bad as the purses are for the Northern races......they much worse for the Southern races......probably has something to do with it.

NWMT PR
09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
It's been mentioned quite a bit that the Southern Tour teams received gas money and show money for the race this past weekend at Thompson (as well as last year). If this is the case, do the Northern Tour teams receive gas money or show money to go to Bristol? It's been said the licenses and fees for the Northern Mod Tour are far more expensive than the Southern Mod Tour. Why the price break for the Southern Mod teams and crews? If these statements are true and the Northern guys don't receive show money or gas money for travelling to Bristol, what is the reasoning for not assisting them as well as what is the reasoning behind the difference in license fees?

Just curious, and I'm not trying to start something here. I feel it's a legit question that deserves an honest answer. Maybe the Nascar PR gentleman, who posts on here, can clarify.

Tow or gas money for the NWSMT teams does not come from NASCAR, nor has it in the past. In my time with NASCAR, the only travel allowance afforded teams was for the K&N East teams to go to Irwindale, Calif., for the All-Star Showdown. That was a special case that one shouldn't anticipate will be repeated in the future.

Rabbit504
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
The 300 Needs to make a comeback.....but as an open comp event, not as a series event.

Will there be a break to rebuild the "Spec" motors?

wrench1
09-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Tow or gas money for the NWSMT teams does not come from NASCAR, nor has it in the past. In my time with NASCAR, the only travel allowance afforded teams was for the K&N East teams to go to Irwindale, Calif., for the All-Star Showdown. That was a special case that one shouldn't anticipate will be repeated in the future.

then who gave them the gas cards they received. $ 500.00

Racer1_NC
09-13-2012, 11:13 AM

My best guess would be the speedway?

Magicshoes12
09-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Mr. Hoenig

JE711618
09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
If Thompson Speedway paid I think they deserve a huge thanks. A track owner paying them to come up is a very outstanding action that should be commended. Thanks, Racer1_NC and NWMT PR for your answers. I appreciate it.

Now if all the touring series in the Northeast can agree in principal to a close set of rules to save the Modified division in general maybe we would all se the return of the open shows. However, the economy isn't helping much either. I wonder which two, if any, would be the first to step up to the plate? Hypothetically speaking of course.