PDA

View Full Version : An UNOH Showdown suggestion...

suelenlynsey
09-07-2012, 11:10 PM
First off, people need to stop whining about everything NASCAR does. The showdown event is an awesome chance to watch the best racing in the country times 3. And if I lived a little closer than a 5 hr. drive i'd pay $100 to see it. The Daytona thing is the one of the best things to happen for the mods since the Bristol announcement. My only suggestion would be this for the showdown - why schedule against the opening Sunday of the NFL. While i'd rather watch live racing than the NFL, there's a reason that the NFL gets better ratings than any other sport = people love their pro football. Maybe Sat. instead? Just a suggestion.

TMAC
09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I can't WAIT!! till daytona and i hope the modifieds will be the best of weekend......

csg
09-08-2012, 12:35 PM
there was a picture of the Daytona track layout on twitter. It looks really tight and narrow. It should be an interesting show. I plan on getting down there this year for it.

As for UNOH, I have no idea why they selected opening day of the NFL. It seems like labor day weekend with a built in Monday make up would make more sense. Is bowman gray still running on labor day or does the south tour have a tradition laden event on the weekend? Perhaps the reason is with the Southern teams.

RGeeProductions
09-08-2012, 01:09 PM
So what you want is all sports to check each others schedules so there is never a conflict anywhere?
May sound like a plan but will never happen.

RaceVoice
09-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I think it is that this weekend was the traditional date for the 300, and they are trying to keep this date alive for themselves.

Racer1_NC
09-08-2012, 08:04 PM
As for UNOH, I have no idea why they selected opening day of the NFL. It seems like labor day weekend with a built in Monday make up would make more sense. Is bowman gray still running on labor day or does the south tour have a tradition laden event on the weekend? Perhaps the reason is with the Southern teams.

BGS is always done before Labor Day......

MJProcko
09-08-2012, 11:51 PM
I think it is that this weekend was the traditional date for the 300, and they are trying to keep this date alive for themselves.

I believe you are correct because I rememer always hanging in the clubhouse watching football waiting for the 300 to start. The only thing I would change is here you have cars traveling all the way up from the south, 45 modifieds! And what do they do? They split them in half except for 50 laps. Talk about the tradition of the date and the 300.... this time of year you use to have 200 laps at Martinsville, 200 laps at Oswego, 300 Laps at Thompson and 250 Laps at Pocono. The best modifieds in the country were at these events, especially the Poconos, and that was the attraction, seeing all those mods you only got to read about in speedway scene race against "your" mods. Now they are segregated.

atleast make the two seperated races be the shootouts and make the combo race 150 laps - don't waste all those modifieds in one place. especially for what they are charging. Compare the shootout to Bristol - 150 laps combo mods and 300 laps for the trucks and 20 bucks cheaper than thompson.

wmass01013
09-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah the answer to this race is def a?
I know Hoenig likes his dates and the weekend after Labor Day has always been his weekend but with the popularity of the NFL has grown so much over the last 10-15 yrs and add the PATRIOTS SUCESS OVER that also and yur less than 100 miles from foxboro and i know thay are not home this weekend but still fans will not miss the opener even on tv
remember how last year when NHMS took his august date to have the mods on indycar weekend he was very upset

He tried to have modmania with all mod weekend with WMT. VMRS AND ROC races but the ROC teams never really showed up and the VMRS was new to Thompson and races were not great
Now he tries this Concept and the Southern Tour really doesnt have a big following down south and i am actually surprised that as many teams have shown up both years
Open shows do seem to be not the key to sucess as was mentioned seems like teams want to race for points in 2012 and would Hoenig ever have the Guts to do a OPEN SHOW NON NASCAR 300? seems unlikely,
Yes I would move it to LABOR DAY WEEKEN AWAY FROM NFL, i WOULD DO OPEN COMP THOMPSON RULES FOR BIG MONEY AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS but dont think that will ever happen

and if you look at Phil Smith's Looking back article in 1982 for the 300, 106 Mods showed up to qualify, I knowwwwwww those days never coming back

MXCHAMP04
09-09-2012, 09:18 AM
I would try to make this date a modified day. All racing on sunday. You could have the Thompson mods, SK's, MRS, WMT and SWMT race all on sunday. Then a shootout tour type mod race with the MRS, WMT, and SWMT. Run the fender cars on saturday. Can you imagine the crowd?