PDA

View Full Version : Thompson UNOH shootout

csg
09-09-2012, 08:54 PM
So how was it, what are your thought/opinions on the show? Did they get a good crowd? Did they have a lot of green flag racing in the the two 75 lap tour races. How was the shootout? I see Teddy was in the 3 and won the shootout, does that mean Keith Rocco is no longer in that ride (I saw he was listed in the sk results)? Did something happen to Coby, he finished mid pack in the tour race. Sorry for all the questions, but most of the fans I know that usually go didnt make this show. Thanks in advance. csg

CuriousGeorge
09-09-2012, 10:31 PM
It'll cost you 55$ for those answers lol

Satwood
09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I thought this was a really good day of racing. Both 75 lap events ran with a limited number of caution laps and the shootout had some good drama in it. Blewett coming all the way from the back to give Christopher a challenge at the end was just one of the many highlights. There was quite a bit of good racing in the middle of the field as well. This was a good event and I hope they do it again next year. Thanks Thompson Speedway for your hospitality and UNOH for your sponsorship of mod racing.

Maybe we could add 50 laps to each tour race and give teams some tires to change? I don't know if that would have been better but since the tour races are/were points events, it might be better to make the format a little more like the regular tour races.

Anyway, opinions like mileage may vary but since the OP asked the question, those are mine.

Groundpounder
09-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I haven't camped at Thompson in a while and it was really enjoyable to do that again. Having said that however, I left thoroughly disgusted with the vast majority of northern tour drivers and glad that that was the only northern tour race I'll see this year. Almost all have got TC's "8 tires corner better than 4" slide job down pat. I must however give kudos to Jimmy Blewett who was actually able to pass without sliding up into the car he was passing. I found the southern race much more enjoyable, watching a clean driver like Hirschman working his way up through the field and challenging for the win. I don't know the reasons why, nor do I care, but the northern tour has degenerated into one sorry excuse for "racing". If being able to move someone out of the way is what passes for talent on the tour these days, you can have it. I'll get my fix with the MRS, RoC, and southern tour along with various open shows. Yes, you see some over-aggressive driving at those events from time to time, but it's not the norm like it is on the WMT.

MOD11RACER
09-13-2012, 06:51 PM
So how was it, what are your thought/opinions on the show? Did they get a good crowd? Did they have a lot of green flag racing in the the two 75 lap tour races. How was the shootout? I see Teddy was in the 3 and won the shootout, does that mean Keith Rocco is no longer in that ride (I saw he was listed in the sk results)? Did something happen to Coby, he finished mid pack in the tour race. Sorry for all the questions, but most of the fans I know that usually go didnt make this show. Thanks in advance. csg

A great day of racing and a very good format. 75-75-50. The races were very well run by all of the Modified teams.

WSMT 75 lap race was over in 26 min. 52 seconds 1 caution for 3 laps.

WMT 75 lap race was over in 36 min. 32 seconds 3 cautions for 14 laps.

The Showdown was run in 27 min. 31 seconds with 2 cautions.

It was 3 great racing events in one day with very little down time or cautions.

I would love to see more of these type of events, but with a bigger purse payout in the 75 lappers.

No fooling around just flat out racing. The way Modifieds are suppose to be run.

Great run by 51 Justin "The Real Deal" Bonsignore in winning the WMT 75 lap event.

To the 3 team of BRE & TC in winning $20,550 for the Showdown win. Great win for a great team.

The 76 team of Jimmy Blewett coming from 26 starting place to take second in the Showdown what a great run. That's the Jimmy we remember.

The 6 team of Ron Silk, The Grasso brothers and the rest of the crew for fixing a wrecked race car after a late race wreck in the WMT 75 lap race. They could have packed it up for the day and went home. Starting last Silk drove the wheels of off the car to come home in 6TH place in the Showdown. They showed why they are a Championship team.

The 71 team of Rob Fuller. Set fast time in the WSMT. Then after his crew chief missed a meeting had to start last in the WSMT 75 lapper and drove all the back to a 3RD place finish. Would have won if he had started up front.

Overall a big Thank You goes out to Thompson Speedway, NASCAR, UNOH and to all of the Southern Modified Teams, Northern Modified Teams to show up and support this event. Everybody was very professional on this weekend. Except the 39.

The $55 front gate was way out of line. $30 would have been plenty at the front gate.

It was great to not have to watch 100, 125, or even 150 laps of caution laps that I have had to watch this year in other Modified Series and open shows this year. Modifieds are made for sprint races not endurance racing. That what this weekend was all about

MJProcko
09-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Modifieds are made for sprint races not endurance racing.

To think back in the day the last 2 months of the year use to consist of 300 laps at Thompson, 250 laps at the Poconos, 200 laps at Osewgo, 200 laps at Stafford and 250 laps at Martinsville.... Boy they really had it wrong, how did I ever sit through them... <sarcasm>

worm
09-14-2012, 08:36 AM
beat era ever! plus all big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ races

Teds Race Tours
09-14-2012, 11:33 AM
how did I ever sit through them... <sarcasm>

Probably Gleefully.

Acadia
09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Some of the greatest mod races were the 200-300 lap events, with all the tires they could eat. They run the long events just fine.

This austerity deal has them running one set of tires, which is about 75 laps of all out racing on tracks such as Thompson and Stafford. If that is the way the Tour mods are going, ticket prices better be around $10-15. Those races will take about a half hour. Still leaves you wanting more.

Jaws
09-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Some of the greatest mod races were the 200-300 lap events, with all the tires they could eat. They run the long events just fine.

This austerity deal has them running one set of tires, which is about 75 laps of all out racing on tracks such as Thompson and Stafford. If that is the way the Tour mods are going, ticket prices better be around $10-15. Those races will take about a half hour. Still leaves you wanting more.

So with that logic World of Outlaw races should be $5.00?