PDA

View Full Version : 09/15/12 - Don Wagner pockets over $3000 in Harold Lloyd Memorial 76

RGeeProductions
09-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Mahoning Valley Speedway proudly presented the Harold Lloyd Memorial 76 and in response to honoring the late championship car owner, a stellar 30 cars signed in for battle for the increased purse and lap money race and at the end of the contest it was Wharton, NJ’s Don Wagner who stood in Victory Lane for a sixth time this season.

Wagner, who started third, passed point leader Earl Paules on lap 34 and then had all he could handle from Tom Flanagan. Late into the race Wagner had to withstand John Bennett on his way to securing the win.

“Harold (Lloyd) was a great guy and he always had a smile for me and everyone. We really appreciate everything that guys like him did for this sport and it’s because of individuals like him that Modified racing is what it is today,” said Wagner, who earned over $3200 in prize money.

Meg Wheels of Belmar, NJ sponsored the heat races and the top three finishers from the prelims had a redraw which saw Terry Markovic and Flanagan pick the front row for the feature.

Once the race began Flanagan was made haste as he took the lead. He was immediately tagged on by John Markovic. Brian DeFebo and Wagner were also in close tow.

By lap eight Wagner eclipsed Markovic for second and two laps later DeFebo latched on and took third. That front trio then ran very tight until lap 21 when a caution waved for a host of cars that came together in turn four.

On the restart Wagner propelled ahead of Flanagan. Paules, who had moved up to third prior to the caution, also got by and was closely pursuing the lead car. The race was now a fan pleasing duel between the top two title contenders.

Another slowdown occurred on lap 31 when Lou Strohl spun. When the action got back underway Paules thrust ahead of Wagner. Not to be undone Wagner got to return the favor two laps later when he too used a restart to reassume the top spot and Flanagan likewise put Paules back behind him.
It was now the Wagner and Flanagan show as this pair would fight tooth and nail. There were a few cautions that offered Flanagan the opportunity to get past but on each ensuing restart his effort was thwarted.

“I know he (Flanagan) was there and we had some good restarts. He tried to snooker me and I tried it with him. It was really good racing with Tommy tonight,” said Wagner.

As the latter two continued their sizzling battle and the laps were winding down, Bennett had now come into the picture. What was impressive about his rise to the front was the fact he started 24th and last and had meticulously worked through the field, proving yet again that passing is the norm and not the exception at Mahoning Valley.

Over the final five laps Wagner was still fending off Flanagan while at the same time Bennett was running to the inside of the runner-up car. Two laps from the finish Bennett squeaked past and then kept charging towards Wagner. On the final tour he made an all-out stab for the win but Wagner had enough power to keep him at bay by half a car length. The win equaled his personal best of six wins in a single year.

“Tonight there was a good top groove and good bottom groove and that’s what racing at Mahoning is all about,” noted Wagner.

Steady running Mike Carroll, Jr., and Paules completed the top five. DeFebo, Wagner and Rick Reichenbach claimed heat wins while Nevin George and Shawn Sitarchyk annexed the split consi’s.
In the Late Model feature, George Ramos II of Coplay was the benefactor of Zane Zeiner’s disqualification. The win marked a much overdue career first for Ramos.

Ramos ran out front early on in the 25-lapper. By mid-race 10th starting Zeiner was now on his rear bumper. After a few side-by-side circuits, Zeiner used the outside lane to eke into the lead. Not so quick to give up, Ramos came right back on the ensuing lap and retook to the helm.

While still running in close two-wide formation, Zeiner was back out front by lap 15 and remained there to the finish. However, during post-race inspection his No. 76 came up to low as per ride height specifications and was DQ’d, handing the win over to Ramos.

“I can’t begin to tell you the emotions I was feeling when they told me I was the winner. I just wish my dad was here to enjoy this but I’m sure he’s looking down at us right now,” said Ramos, who dedicated the win to his father, George “Pineapple” Ramos, Jr., who passed recently and was a longtime supporter and former area racer from the Dorney Park era and also Mahoning Valley.
Ramos made a sweep of the night by winning his heat. Rick Wallace, who advanced to feature runner-up, also won a heat.

In what could be considered one of the hardest fought features of the season, Jason Beers of Northampton edged Joe Mooney and Jason Kuhn for his second Street Stock win.

Despite starting from the pole, Beers was in an ongoing tussle from the moment the green flag dropped. Lap after lap Mooney was pulling alongside Beers in an attempt for the lead with Kuhn right in line and ready to strike. Beers, however, continued to defend his ground boldly and remained solid to the end as the top three crossed the checkers under a blanket.

Kuhn, TJ Gursky and Joe Mooney won Street Stock heats with the consi going to Josh Mooney.

In the Dirt Mods Bill Sittler led the first lap then yielded the lead to Aleia Geisler. After a very exciting three wide battle between Geisler, Kris Graver and Mike Stofflet, it was Lehighton’s Graver who came out on top and sped away to his seventh win this season.

Jeremy Miller of Northampton was unstoppable en route to his seventh 4-Cylinder Stock win of the season. Miller took the lead on lap one and went unchallenged the rest of the way. The win played nicely into his championship efforts as he bolstered his lead in the standings with three races remaining.

Kyle Strohl annexed the Front Wheel Drive bonus. Heat winners were Barry Christman, Jr., and Jake Kibler.

Modified Feature Finish, 76 Laps: 1. Don Wagner, 2. John Bennett, 3. Tom Flanagan, 4. Mike Carroll, Jr., 5. Earl Paules, 6. John Markovic, 7. Scott Meckes, 8. Nevin George, 9. Rick Reichenbach, 10. Kevin Rex, Jr., 11. Brain DeFebo, 12. Shawn Sitarchyk, 13. Lou Strohl, 14. Tyler Haydt, 15. Mike Quinn, 16. Chip Santee, 17. Bobby Jones, 18. Zane Zeiner, 19. Anthony Sesely, 20. James Pritchard, Jr., 21.Roger Coss, 22. Matt Wentz, 23.Amanda Sesely, 24. Terry Markovic
Did not qualify: DJ Wagner, Jarred Nace, Brian Romig, Todd Baer, Shaun Carrig, Joe Mooney

Late Model Feature Finish, 25 Laps: 1. George Ramos, 2. Rick Wallace, 3. Frankie Althouse, 4. Ken Hein, 5. Paul Koehler, Jr., 6. Mike Sweeney, 7. Earl Paules, 8. Dave Wallace, 9. Mark Simon, 10. Paul Effrig, 11. Geno Steigerwalt Did not Start: Glenn Slocum DQ: Zane Zeiner

Street Stock Feature Finish, 25 Laps: 1. Jason Beers, 2. Joe Mooney, 3. Jason Kuhn, 4. Joe Steigerwalt, 5. Todd Ahner, 6. TJ Gursky, 7. Jason Frey, 8. Gene Bowers, 9. Zach Graver, 10. Jonathan Tracey, 11. Joe Roberts, 12. Stacey Brown, 13. Josh Mooney, 14. Jillian Long, 15. Mike Garris, Sr., 16. Randy Ahner, Jr., 17. BJ Wambold, 18. Lonnie Behler, 19. Guy Ackerman, 20. Cody Roth
Did not qualify: Tiffany Wambold, Kyle Strohl, Tim Stein, Joe Stamm, Mike Radocha, Jr.

Dirt Modified Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Kris Graver, 2. Mike Stofflet, 3. Aleia Geisler, 4. Randy Thomas, 5. Dave Thomas, 6. Ricky Yetter, 7. Joe Stangle, 8. Bill Sittler, Jr.

4-Cylinder Stock Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Jeremy Miller, 2. Nick Baer, 3. Bobby Kibler, Jr., 4. Kyle Strohl, 5. Jake Kibler, 6. Doug Knauss,7. Dan Freundt, 8. Stone Wentz, 9. Barry Christman, Jr., 10. Justin Martison, 11. Tyler Stangle

Dino Oberto