PDA

View Full Version : Loudon, Any New Rules and Who Is Going?

Acadia
09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, here is what should be one of the best races of the season, points race is tightening up.

What is the rule set for this event?

Is the SPEC motor being clipped? Gear rule still around?

Will there be a half time break?

And who is going? I'll be there, of course.

Rob29
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
I won't be going, as i'll be in Dover the week after. I was there in July and it was a great race.

The only question I can answer is your last one. There will be a halftime break.

http://hometracks.nascar.com/nwmt_notes_091712_Ryan-Preece_Closing_The_Points_Gap

nflobster
09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
yes there have been rules adjustments

Acadia
09-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I heard that the SPEC motor is having a few horses removed. hehehe...

:eek:

Acadia
09-20-2012, 08:45 AM
New England weather!

The forecast changes every couple hours. Good thing the ride is nice. As of now, a chance for rain.

Rob29
09-20-2012, 06:17 PM
By the way, according to Jason Cunningham on Twitter (@NASCAR_NE) the only drivers using the spec engine are Bryon Chew and Rowan Pennink. Ron Silk is NOT using it this go-round. That last part kind of shocked me. I wasn't the only one too. Bonsignore was kind of shocked by that as well.

RGeeProductions
09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
But wait!
I heard from many sources the SPEC motor will kill the modifieds!
Anyone have any info on this???

Acadia
09-21-2012, 09:23 AM
By the way, according to Jason Cunningham on Twitter (@NASCAR_NE) the only drivers using the spec engine are Bryon Chew and Rowan Pennink. Ron Silk is NOT using it this go-round. That last part kind of shocked me. I wasn't the only one too. Bonsignore was kind of shocked by that as well.

Maybe an investigative reporter can reveal what we are all yearning to know!!

Ticket sales are looking good... should be a good crowd tomorrow.

Acadia
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
And the plot thickens... is anyone surprised?

hasbeen
09-21-2012, 06:29 PM

Could Silk not using the spec motor have anything to do with Blewitt winning but losing last week at the head?:rolleyes:

Last I saw,TS was part of Blewitt sponsorship/ownership?? Not sure if they are,jus wondering

Rob29
09-21-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't have an answer for you here. Don't know enough and won't try to look like I know enough. I'm just trying to relay the facts. The spec motor has had a lot of controversy surrounding it (you'd have to blind not to notice). Silk ran it in July so everyone expected him to run it again. But he's not. Which is pretty shocking.

That's all I know on the situation lol

Acadia
09-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Pennink ran well today with the SPEC.

Oh well.

Should be a good race. About 70F and moderate humidity at race time. Should be pretty good.

Rob29
09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Pennink ran well today with the SPEC.

Oh well.

Should be a good race. About 70F and moderate humidity at race time. Should be pretty good.

Pennink was quick in practice (2nd) but not as fast in qualifying (11th).

However, Bryon Chew, the only other driver running the SPEC motor was slow in both. P23 in practice and qualifying. At least he was consistent lol

fastbackss
09-21-2012, 09:30 PM
And the plot thickens... is anyone surprised?

Per the coverage on Speed51 (and I just read it now...I followed the live coverage on Chrome Horn :-))

"We have confirmed with NASCAR that the much-talked-about Yates Racing SPEC engine that drivers such as Ron Silk and Bryon Chew have competed with this season is NOT in Silk's car this weekend. After the first WMT race here at New Hampshire, NASCAR changed the restrictor plate measurement on the SPEC engine. Silk's team felt that it was a disadvantage and have gone back to a built engine for this race. Chew and Rowan Pennink have the SPEC engine in their cars here this weekend. "
and
"They kept slowing it down." - Ron Silk on why he's not running the SPEC motor.

Rob29
09-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Per the coverage on Speed51 (and I just read it now...I followed the live coverage on Chrome Horn :-))

"We have confirmed with NASCAR that the much-talked-about Yates Racing SPEC engine that drivers such as Ron Silk and Bryon Chew have competed with this season is NOT in Silk's car this weekend. After the first WMT race here at New Hampshire, NASCAR changed the restrictor plate measurement on the SPEC engine. Silk's team felt that it was a disadvantage and have gone back to a built engine for this race. Chew and Rowan Pennink have the SPEC engine in their cars here this weekend. "
and
"They kept slowing it down." - Ron Silk on why he's not running the SPEC motor.

Interesting. It made Pennink fast this weekend. I can't help but wonder how fast Silk would be if he was to be running it. Sure, probably not as fast as July since they tried to slow it down, but still I'd think he'd be very fast.

Acadia
09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Pennink has had great runs at Loudon, as long as he wasn't afflicted by gremlins or incidents. He has had very impressive runs at Loudon. I think this is the first time out for the 93 and the SPEC and they seem to have it running pretty darn good!

Interesting. It made Pennink fast this weekend. I can't help but wonder how fast Silk would be if he was to be running it. Sure, probably not as fast as July since they tried to slow it down, but still I'd think he'd be very fast.

Groundpounder
09-22-2012, 08:29 AM
The 6 team is playing games with nascar. They aren't running the spec motor at Loudon this time just so nascar can't make a good apples to apples comparison of how their rule changes affected the competitive balance. They probably weren't counting on the 93 team using it though.

MJProcko
09-22-2012, 01:50 PM
hmmmm, I guess when Nascar says they want unified rules for all Nascar divisions they must not have been speaking of Green/White/Checker finishes....

Rob29
09-22-2012, 02:07 PM
What do you mean? The caution came out after Coby crossed the line to take the white. Race over. Same rule as in every other NASCAR series.

BigMac
09-22-2012, 02:23 PM
but it sure looked like the 52 crossed the line first on the restart. That said, great race. Lia hit everything but the lottery during the last 10 laps as usual. Thanks to Speed for putting it on TV. That was fun to watch.

Rob29
09-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah the 52 was the leader on the restart. So there's no violation there.

MJProcko
09-22-2012, 06:08 PM
What do you mean? The caution came out after Coby crossed the line to take the white. Race over. Same rule as in every other NASCAR series.

My bad, the rule is 'If the leader has taken the White Flag and the caution flag is displayed, the field is frozen and the race will not be restarted' I thought that was only on the third attempt.

“We want to do all we can to finish our races under green flag conditions – the fans want to see that and so do the competitors,” said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition. “We felt that putting a cap at three attempts to finish the race under green is the way to go. It gives the fans what they want and it also gives the teams a better opportunity to prepare for their end of race strategy.”

Rob29
09-22-2012, 07:27 PM
My bad, the rule is 'If the leader has taken the White Flag and the caution flag is displayed, the field is frozen and the race will not be restarted' I thought that was only on the third attempt.

“We want to do all we can to finish our races under green flag conditions – the fans want to see that and so do the competitors,” said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition. “We felt that putting a cap at three attempts to finish the race under green is the way to go. It gives the fans what they want and it also gives the teams a better opportunity to prepare for their end of race strategy.”

I thought that's what the confusion was. No worries. Still sucks when a race finishes under yellow, but what are ya gonna do?

Acadia
09-22-2012, 11:57 PM
The 6 team is playing games with nascar. They aren't running the spec motor at Loudon this time just so nascar can't make a good apples to apples comparison of how their rule changes affected the competitive balance. They probably weren't counting on the 93 team using it though.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! We have a winnah!!!!!

After all the acrimony that has transpired, the 6 team did the shrewdest thing possible: not run the SPEC motor back-to-back at the same track. The 6 team is playing NASCAR.

And after that article where Partridge was so concerned over cost... well, he just threw that claim out the window. He'll do what ever it takes for another couple horsepower no matter the cost. From the looks of how well the 93 ran with the SPEC motor, I bet the 6 would have been just a bit better (they have a better history at Loudon), which would have put the SPEC motor still ahead of the built motors.