PDA

View Full Version : Woody in the 79 (What are the Hills thinking)

Bobby1717
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I can't believe the Hills chose Woody over Jon in the car for this weekend at NH.. I don't blame Jon for telling them he doesn't want to finish the season with them. Jon is in first place in the MRS points and got a win in a super modified on a part time schedule. Hey its their money and equipment and they can do whatever they want but look at the talent that has gone through there in a short time. Who knows who will be in it for the last two races. The LIManiac brought up a good name and that's Tommy Barrett. There is a guy that uses his bumper and according to the article would fit right in. You can findf the article on racedayct.com

Rabbit504
09-21-2012, 12:39 PM
It's amazing that the 79 keeps switching Driver, But, hey they can't switch Crew Chiefs. (can they?)

All I can say is Woody enjoy your time in the 79.
Because as you well know it will NOT end pretty!!!

Groundpounder
09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Well, I went over to racedayct.com and found the article. This is the last paragraph from it:

“The biggest thing I’m having a problem with him is with the difference in [Whelen Modified Tour] racing and [Valenti Modified Racing Series] racing,” Hill said. “The MRS, you can’t use the bumper, you can’t use the nerf bar, that’s what Jon says. He runs in SuperModifieds, you really can’t bump there either because they’re so dangerous. [Whelen Modified Tour] racing, you’ve got to use your front bumper, you’ve got to use your nerf bar, you’ve got to slide ‘em up the racetrack at Thompson when you pass. That’s the only thing I’ve struggled with [Jon]. Race time, when everybody gets up on the wheel, that’s the only problem I’ve had with him is that he doesn’t want to touch anybody.”

That basically sums up what I've been saying about the WMT for a while now. The racing, if you want to call it that, on the WMT has lost everything that once made modified racing special. The way these guys drive on the tour now, the cars may as well have fenders. Any two-bit hack can move someone out of the way. It takes talent to pass someone cleanly. I'm just glad we still have other options for modified racing, such as the MRS. If the WMT went away tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it in the least.

TMAC
09-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Well whatever the hills want to do.. You pAying there
Bills... Tell ya a driver they could go race in both series..in 2013.(for those not paying attention c avatar(thanks richie).Wmt losing
Everything.... Read about last week at
Riverhead .. Payout crappy(aside from the manic, ps thanks for what you did)big crowd and a whole bunch of talent out there..Racin has !!! Never been cheap...Reguardless the tour has a
Following....And we are on TV THIS WEEKEND!!

Rabbit504
09-21-2012, 02:55 PM
You Don't think for one second Teddy would drive that car do you?

In case you haven't noticed that car a mid to back of the pack car..... If it makes it to the end of the race.

MXCHAMP04
09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
You Don't think for one second Teddy would drive that car do you?

In case you haven't noticed that car a mid to back of the pack car..... If it makes it to the end of the race.I agree with you 100%. Walking through the pits that car just looks old, and on the track really goes nowhere. I think JM is one of the most talented drivers out there, and unfortunately for him, he is in an old car not destined to go anywhere no matter who is driving it.

MOD11RACER
09-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Jon is to soft to run the WMT. He started third at Riverhead WMT race and within 2 laps he was back in 10th. That's not getting the job done no matter how you look at it.

The WMT is not made for soft drivers. You have to have a set of balls to run that Tour. No riding around in 10th to 20th place for 50 to 75 laps saving your tires and then start to race. If you do that on the WMT your race is over early. The WMT is to competitive to ride around. It's go hard from the Green flag lap to the Checker.

The ROC (the hockey puck league of are sport) has only a couple (22 & 60) of teams that can win on any given night and coming thru the field from the back is not that hard after riding around at the back of the back for 75% of the race ( can we say SST). Most of the Modifieds on that Tour ( if you can call them Modifieds) are back markers. The ROC only has about 3 teams that could compete on the WMT and none would be a top ten car.

Same for the MRS (which has totally lost its way). Only a handful of teams (2, 25, 5 & 9) that can win or even be competitive on that Tour. Pennink and Barrett are tough racers and have the make-up to run the WMT. The 2 and 5 drivers are soft and cannot compete on the WMT. Both have tried and failed. Which is to bad for the sport.

You guys that love to ***** about the WMT should go to Riverhead for a season and watch some real Staturday night racing. The drivers go at it real hard. 0, 96 ,6 ,51, 66, 15, 20, 99, 48 just to name a few. Riverhead is more competitive than the ROC or the MRS.

Go ahead and ***** about the WMT. It is still the best Modified racing we have today by far.

If you want to be called a Modified Champion then you have to do it on the WMT. Not in the minor leagues. it's the only Modified Tour that matters.

Look at the Wayne Darling team #52 driven by Doug Coby on the WMT. That says it all.

JMB
09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Jon is to soft to run the WMT. He started third at Riverhead WMT race and within 2 laps he was back in 10th. That's not getting the job done no matter how you look at it.

The WMT is not made for soft drivers. You have to have a set of balls to run that Tour. No riding around in 10th to 20th place for 50 to 75 laps saving your tires and then start to race. If you do that on the WMT your race is over early. The WMT is to competitive to ride around. It's go hard from the Green flag lap to the Checker.

The ROC (the hockey puck league of are sport) has only a couple (22 & 60) of teams that can win on any given night and coming thru the field from the back is not that hard after riding around at the back of the back for 75% of the race ( can we say SST). Most of the Modifieds on that Tour ( if you can call them Modifieds) are back markers. The ROC only has about 3 teams that could compete on the WMT and none would be a top ten car.

Same for the MRS (which has totally lost its way). Only a handful of teams (2, 25, 5 & 9) that can win or even be competitive on that Tour. Pennink and Barrett are tough racers and have the make-up to run the WMT. The 2 and 5 drivers are soft and cannot compete on the WMT. Both have tried and failed. Which is to bad for the sport.

You guys that love to ***** about the WMT should go to Riverhead for a season and watch some real Staturday night racing. The drivers go at it real hard. 0, 96 ,6 ,51, 66, 15, 20, 99, 48 just to name a few. Riverhead is more competitive than the ROC or the MRS.

Go ahead and ***** about the WMT. It is still the best Modified racing we have today by far.

If you want to be called a Modified Champion then you have to do it on the WMT. Not in the minor leagues. it's the only Modified Tour that matters.

Look at the Wayne Darling team #52 driven by Doug Coby on the WMT. That says it all.

I think if you put some of the top MRS guys in good WMT rides they would win races. And to tick the rest of the board off, if you put some of the top PASS guys in good WMT cars they would win pretty easy.

Acadia
09-21-2012, 08:34 PM

And nobody finds this to be offensive and rude? Why no righteous indignation pig piling?

uticamike
09-21-2012, 08:38 PM

If I were smart I wouldn't respond to this drivel. Are you telling me comparing two series with totally different tire rules and not having drivers

adjust their styles to those realities is a serious comparison? Ah..yeah. Only a handful of teams can win on the VMRS? Really? (8) btw. Is that

more or less than your WMT? Hmmm. Only Chuck and Matt on the ROC? Wrong again. If Riverhead is the be all, end all of "tough" Modified racing

then how come your great Tour only stops there once a year? If anybody is (too) soft its your thinking maybe.

TMAC
09-21-2012, 10:50 PM
That's a good family with racin in the north and south people... Old broken down whatever. Still makin some noise racin.Just sayin..Things change... Glad we
Got some action on this thread...On another note.. History ..TC enjoying the 3
Ride...
Wouldn't mind him staying there..of maybe
Take that ride(79) in the winter to new symrna..

Groundpounder
09-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Jon is not "soft" by any means. He's one of the hardest racers in anything he drives. He's also one of the cleanest. Don't confuse that with soft. I have a lot of respect for the fact that he won't compromise his "racing ethics" to run on what has become the "fight club" series. TC doesn't exacly dominate when he runs with the MRS where he can't use his bumper and nerf bars, does he? Like I said in my original post, any two-bit hack can knock someone out of the way. Real talent is passing someone cleanly. Like Jon McKennedy does.

MJProcko
09-22-2012, 12:57 PM
The Hills are looking pretty darn smart in the first hallf of the race...

TMAC
09-22-2012, 11:44 PM
So how'd that 79 do today. Pretty darn good!!

Rabbit504
09-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then......
They are a solid 15th in owner points...
Pretty darn good eh!!

MJProcko
09-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Pretty darn good eh!!

You do realize that McKennedy was behind the wheel in that run to 15th right?
With Woody they were a top 5 car yesterday at the biggest track in front of a live TV audience..... pretty good after a 700 mile drive from NC.

RGeeProductions
09-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Hemric was in 2 of those races.
Pitkat is a good choice.

Rabbit504
09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm not saying Woody's a bad choice.
I'm saying the car's not a front runner.

If anyone recalls they were giddy when McKennedy was going to drive that car.
Now he's not a good Driver?
Guess what.
It NEVER ends pretty with any Drivers of the 79.
Ask:
Eddy
Mike
Chucky
Woody (Yes I remember that look on Woody's face when David told him at The Banquet he was fired)
Silk
Civali
Hemirc
and now McKennedy
Woody's just the next excuse.
The 79 has had more Driver changes than any other team on the Tour.
A large number of them in mid-season.
As I said before, they can't change crew cheifs can they?

bud
09-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Dale Jr did.....lol

DK Modified
09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey Rabbit504 you need to ask James how good these cars are. Because you pick him to win on the Chrome Horne. and for Jon you just cant ride around and wait foe the end of the race and think you going to win a WMT race. so hide your eyes and watch what WOODY does at stattford and you may find a blind squirrel again. MR KNOW IT ALL

Acadia
09-24-2012, 08:18 PM
The 79 was really looking good, great graphics.

Rabbit504
09-25-2012, 07:02 AM
I will be hiding my eyes in Rome, Italy for the Stafford race.

I picked James becuse he's a friend and a Very Good driver, I didn't pick the car!!
AND this year in the pick 5 when I didn't pick any Raceworks Cars I was in the top ten in points until this week.
Go figure.

When James straps into that Troyer you will see how the Former ROY wheels a competive ride!!!
Just like Silk did when he left the 79 and got a competive ride!

hollywoodmic
09-25-2012, 01:11 PM
If Riverhead is the be all, end all of "tough" Modified racing

then how come your great Tour only stops there once a year? from Uticamike

Hey Mike have you ever been to Riverhead??? I know this, they averaged 23 full blown TOUR TYPE Modifieds every night. I know that noteably two of the best on the Modifed Tour ran their, with Time trials, almost everyweek. Between TC and Preece they had 3 wins in really good equipment. It's not an easy place to race and for sure is not an easy place to win. With this much Modified competition week in and week out, Why would you run more Modified Tour Races?? NASCAR makes it a requirement that your local teams need to upgrade liscenses have fire suits for crew members, it costs about 2000 to 3000 for each local team to compete in the Tour race. If you own the place why do that to the people that support your facility everyweek??? Mike please tell me the Toughest Short Track running full blown Modifieds you know of today??? Enlighten me, I've been around racing a long time and I've never seen one quite like this place. Don't knock it if you've never tried it.

limodmaniac
09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
All I know, is that many teams seem to leave Riverhead no longer a team.

Jon McKennedy and 79 team split. In the past, Civali and 28 team split after Riverhead, and then Blewett and the 77 team split during the races if I remember correctly!!

worm
09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
right limodmaniac

uticamike
09-25-2012, 10:55 PM
If Riverhead is the be all, end all of "tough" Modified racing

then how come your great Tour only stops there once a year? from Uticamike

Hey Mike have you ever been to Riverhead??? I know this, they averaged 23 full blown TOUR TYPE Modifieds every night. I know that noteably two of the best on the Modifed Tour ran their, with Time trials, almost everyweek. Between TC and Preece they had 3 wins in really good equipment. It's not an easy place to race and for sure is not an easy place to win. With this much Modified competition week in and week out, Why would you run more Modified Tour Races?? NASCAR makes it a requirement that your local teams need to upgrade liscenses have fire suits for crew members, it costs about 2000 to 3000 for each local team to compete in the Tour race. If you own the place why do that to the people that support your facility everyweek??? Mike please tell me the Toughest Short Track running full blown Modifieds you know of today??? Enlighten me, I've been around racing a long time and I've never seen one quite like this place. Don't knock it if you've never tried it.

Hollywood, My post wasn't really a rap at Riverhead. It was a response to Mod11 and his diatribe proclaiming anything not NASCAR is sh!t. I reject that.

The Tour is shrinking not because I say so but because it is. Riverhead is a unique situation. Car counts have rebounded there the last few years but

I'd wager it has more to with the cost of traveling off the Island to race than any great desire to race there. It's tough place no doubt but so are

most bullrings. TC shows up with his helmet and suit to race. So? he does that a other places as well. Jeff Preece has deep pockets and so Ryan

can race there on Saturdays because where else could he go? NASCAR tracks all over get your point about what locals have to outlay to race when the

Tour stops at their track ( which is happening less btw) but tell NASCAR that not me. I agree it's an issue. What I'd really like is for those tough

Head regulars to come up to Shangri-La II some Saturday and show us hicks how it's done.;) Riverhead IS STILL on my bucket list......maybe next year.

bud
09-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Hey Hollywood Ryan is ablaze with that legal motor.....lol

RGeeProductions
09-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Jeff Preece has deep pockets and so Ryan
can race there on Saturdays because where else could he go?

Where did you get this?
Who says Jeff is paying with deep pockets for Ryan's ride at Riverhead.
Maybe he is just showing up with helmet and suit.
You have been misinformed on this statement.

uticamike
09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Where did you get this?
Who says Jeff is paying with deep pockets for Ryan's ride at Riverhead.
Maybe he is just showing up with helmet and suit.
You have been misinformed on this statement.

My bad then. I'll retract that portion. Thank you Richard.

Goldy
09-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Yea... What we're they thinking?

Congrats woody and Hillbilly team on a great couple runs so far...

RGeeProductions
09-30-2012, 04:18 PM
yea... What we're they thinking?

Congrats woody and hillbilly team on a great couple runs so far...

ditto!!!!!!!

RGeeProductions
09-30-2012, 04:19 PM
My bad then. I'll retract that portion. Thank you Richard.

BTW: You should say this to the Preece's as that's where my post came from Michael.

TMAC
09-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Pretty darn good eh!!

So how did the 79 look today stafford.. New Hampshire . Junk right ... not!

RacnJason00
09-30-2012, 08:36 PM
So how did the 79 look today stafford.. New Hampshire . Junk right ... not! Well said. car and driver were pretty stout!!

Linda
10-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Yea... What we're they thinking?

Congrats woody and Hillbilly team on a great couple runs so far...

Congrats Woody!!! Awesome run by Woody AND the the Hillbilly racing team!! When I read the post last week I was like..huh?? Woody a mistake?? IMO he is one of the best drivers on the tour.

Bostonian
10-01-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm thinking yesterdays finish will give the two drivers something to talk about, for years to come at the family gatherings. Aren't the two going to be brother in laws? Great job by both drivers.

BOBBY
10-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Way to go woody..that will stop..all the negative talk..about the 79..thats two really great runs....what a difference ..a real wheel..

Wheel man..makes all the diference ...you are a wheelman..thanks...

Bobby1717
10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes Woody had a good run on Sunday but let's all just take a deep breath and remember he was once let go by this team for a reason.

uticamike
10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes Woody had a good run on Sunday but let's all just take a deep breath and remember he was once let go by this team for a reason.

Your right and the reason might be David and Sandra made a mistake and now have fixed it. Glad to see Woody doing well.

BOBBY
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Bobby 1717..and rabit.....why dont you two.buy youa first class modified....and two . $40.000 dollars motors..and put you a driver in the car ..and he doese not perform..and you have got to have a driver that..will drive it ..every lap just like you are qualfing....
And when they quiet ..proforming...and you have no choice.....but look for someone who will.....thank about it........

Acadia
10-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Woody has always done pretty good. Why he bounces around is a mystery.

What was the 79 using for power at Stafford? It sounded very good.

Bobby1717
10-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Bobby 1717..and rabit.....why dont you two.buy youa first class modified....and two . $40.000 dollars motors..and put you a driver in the car ..and he doese not perform..and you have got to have a driver that..will drive it ..every lap just like you are qualfing....
And when they quiet ..proforming...and you have no choice.....but look for someone who will.....thank about it........

I need a translator, I'm already apologizing I couldn't help myself.

SteveS
10-04-2012, 10:25 PM
wuts amater bobby1717 u dunt understead inglish. Obviously you got outsmarted with that retort. WTF

hasbeen
10-05-2012, 09:04 AM
wuts amater bobby1717 u dunt understead inglish. Obviously you got outsmarted with that retort. WTF

I like to read the posts and sit on the sidelines,but every once in awhile a post appears that FIRST I think I dont have my reading glasses on,SECOND A different language is being used that I wasnt aware of THIRD Someones hitting the bottle and the keys at same time..
Whatever the reason, it gave me a good laugh so early in the morning :lol::D:)

NC Mudcat
02-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Several months back, a lot of folks were wondering what the Hills were thinking, After this past week at NS, and race (I use the term loosely) at Daytona where they had a shot to win late, we should all be thinking they made a pretty good choice. It won't be as easy back home, and there will be a lot more competition, but they are off to a great start. Congratulations.

NC Mudcat
02-23-2013, 08:01 PM
And the New Smyrna championship goes to........congratulations to Woody and the whole Hillbilly team.

CuriousGeorge
04-24-2013, 07:16 PM
:applause:

:lol: