PDA

View Full Version : 09/22/12 - Nevin George scores second Mahoning Mod win

RGeeProductions
09-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Earl Paules clinches Late Model title

When Nevin George came back to the Modified ranks this season at Mahoning Valley Speedway his intent was to challenge for the track title while picking up a few wins.

While the hopes for a championship linger, he did manage to score a second victory Saturday night.

In the Late Models Earl Paules of Palmerton raced to his ninth feature win of the season and in doing do sewed up his first ever Mahoning championship. Paules also leads in the Modified points.

Starting fifth, George, who hails from Kunkletown, passed underneath Roger Coss on lap 21 and then cruised home the winner.

“It was a big hurdle to get that second win. I didn’t think it was going to be that tough but I’m very glad we got it,” said George.

“I always set my standards high and I always have my whole racing career and believe it or not that is the downfall of some of the things I do. Going into this year I did aim at getting a few wins which we have now accomplished. I really would have liked to have been battling for the points lead too.”

For the outset of the 35-lapper Coss moved to P-1 after original pole starting DJ Wagner elected to start from the rear. At the drop of the green the affable Coss took the lead and for the first time was out front in a feature race at Mahoning.

After several rough weeks of luckless racing, Coss was finally able to show his flair by securely holding the lead. In second was Scott Meckes with his teammate George third.

On lap six the race’s only caution waved a minor skirmish in turn two. Afterwards Coss set out on blistering pace. George passed Meckes on the restart and was staying as close to Coss as possible.

With such a long stretch of green flag laps, George was able to use that to his advantage as he bided his time wisely and eventually caught and passed Coss, dipping inside of him in turn three on the 21st circuit.
As the race remained green George was able to then distance himself and drove to an uncontested victory.

“This was like getting the monkey off our back tonight. The car has been fast, probably one of the fastest every week, we just had some bad races the last couple times out. Some of it was mechanics on the car where we missed the setup a little bit. Other times we had been up front but unfortunately just ran into some bad luck and misfortune. Tonight we did get a pretty good starting spot and worked ourselves up through,” said George who won by a 1.330 margin of victory.

“Roger (Coss) is a very good, clean driver. He was running a good race. Fortunately we just had a little bit better car than him and were able to get by. He’s a real strong competitor.”

Coss got a Mahoning best second and clearly showed what many have felt for some time that he is more than capable of racing with the lead pack and a win is on the not too distant horizon.

“The car felt good but then it got a little too loose towards the end. I was trying to hold the bottom as much as I could but Nevin was better and the best car won tonight,” said Coss.

“It’s been a rough couple of weeks here but we kept putting it (car) back together and coming back. What I like is you can race and side-by-side here.”

Meckes, Tom Flanagan and John Bennett completed the top five. George, Coss and Chip Santee were heat winners.

In the Late Models, Paules only had Mike Sweeny to worry about in attaining the class crown. He came into the night with a healthy standings lead and after taking the front spot from Paul Effrig at mid-race and adding to the fact that Sweeney could do no better than sixth, the win bolstered his points enough that despite two regular weeks remaining, the title is now his.

Effrig held on to finish a season best second with Rick Wallace third. Wallace and Paul Koehler, Jr., won heats.

On any given night Gene Bowers is plenty qualified to win a Street Stock race but the 2012 season has been a hard luck road for the talented Lehighton driver. On Saturday night, however, he put all that frustration behind him, winning the 25-lap contest with a late race pass on Joe Stamm.

Stamm had led from the start and despite being heavily pressured, looked ready to take his career first victory. Right behind him was Bowers and Jonathan Tracey who had been waging a torrid battle.

When the five to go signal was given Bowers then shook free from Tracey and the next lap leaped past Stamm and onto the verdict.

Josh Mooney, who had been shadowing the front trio, used the high lane to motor up to second in the final laps. Stamm finished a career best third.

Street Stock heat wins went to Jillian Long, Stamm and BJ Wambold. TJ Gursky notched the consi.
Mike Stofflet of Mertztown took his fourth win of the season in the Dirt Mods. Stofflet got the lead from Bill Sitler on lap two and then began to gradually put a safe gap on the rest of the field.

A lap 19 caution, the only one of the race, cut that lead and on the restart second running Randy Thomas vaulted ahead and led to the checkers. However, officials placed Thomas two spots back in the rundown for jumping the restart and Stofflet was declared the winner.

Jeremy Miller of Northampton moved ever so close to his first 4-Cylinder Stock title by winning for a seventh time. The race was a special extra distance affair of 35 laps that also paid additional money to win.

By way of a redraw after time trials, Jake Kibler started on the pole and when the race commenced, he and Barry Christman, Jr., put of a great dogfight for the lead. Kibler repeatedly withstood the advances of Christman.

With four laps to go the battle hit its peak when Christman made slight contact with Kibler. Both cars got loose and they had to back down in order to avert a complete spinout. As they did quick thinking Miller, who had been running fourth, drove to the high side of the track and was able to blast his way into the lead.

By earning the win he now controls his own destiny for the class title plus the victory moved him into a tie for most wins with the division at 31.

The INEX Legends and 4c Super Mods were also in action. Coming in from Akron, OH, 17 year old Tyler Tanner took the win with the Legends while Wes Gilbert from Southampton, NY won in the 4c race and in the process became the 2012 champion.

The Ladies Race sponsored by Himmer Graphics was won by Amanda Green.

Modified Feature Finish, 35 Laps: 1. Nevin George, 2. Roger Coss, 3. Scott Meckes, 4. Tom Flanagan, 5. John Bennett, 6. Earl Paules, 7. Don Wagner, 8. Bobby Jones, 9. Shawn Sitarchyk, 10. Brain Romig, 11. Ed Brunnhoelzl, 12. Lou Strohl, 13. DJ Wagner, 14. Terry Markovic, 15. Kevin Rex, Jr., 16. Matt Wentz, 17. John Markovic, 18. Chip Santee, 19. Joe Mooney

Late Model Feature Finish, 25 Laps: 1. Earl Paules, 2. Paul Effrig, 3. Rick Wallace, 4. Kenny Hein, 5. Frankie Althouse, 6. Mike Sweeney, 7. Paul Koehler, Jr., 8. George Ramos II, 9. Mark Simon, 10. Pat Hargan, 11. Geno Steigerwalt

Street Stock Feature Finish, 25 Laps: 1. Gene Bowers, 2. Josh Mooney, 3. Joe Stamm, 4. Joe Mooney, 5. Joe Steigerwalt, 6. Jillian Long, 7. TJ Gursky, 8. Todd Ahner, 9. Jason Kuhn, 10. Lonnie Behler, 11. Scott Lesher, 12. Kyle Strohl, 13. Zach Graver, 14. Mike Garris, Sr., 15. Guy Ackerman, 16. Jonathan Tracey, 17. Cody Roth, 18. Jason Beers, 20. BJ Wambold Did not qualify: Joe Roberts, Brian Labar, Stacey Brown, Tim Stein, Tiffany Wambold

Dirt Modified Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Mike Stofflet, 2. Kris Graver, 3. Randy Thomas, 4. Joe Stangle, 5. Aleia Geisler, 6. Mark Levy, 7. Dave Thomas, 8. Frank Parastino, 9. Bill Sittler, Jr., 10. Ricky Yetter

4-Cylinder Stock Feature Finish, 35 Laps: 1. Jeremy Miller, 2. Jake Kibler, 3. Kyle Strohl, 4. Barry Christman, Jr., 5. Doug Knauss, 6. Nick Baer, 7. Dan Freundt, 8. Scott Adams, 9. Cody Roth, 10. Jeff Biegley, 11. Arland Moyer, Jr., 12. Paul Hartwig, Jr., 13. Ward Crozier, Sr., 14. Bobby Kibler, Jr., 15. Taya Wentz, 16. Robert Miller, 17. Tyler Stangle, 18. Tony Scheirer, 19. Justin Martison

INEX Legends Feature Finish, 15 Laps: 1. Tyler Turner, 2. Raven Schrantz, 3. Dylan Hoffman, 4. Jim Hoffman, 5. Barry Schrantz Did not start: Carl Jones

4c Super Modified Feature Finish, 15 Laps: 1. Wes Gilbert, 2. Steve Renn, 3. Mike Renn, 4. Bob Renn, 5. Anthony Merlino, 6. Ron Merlino, Sr.

Dino Oberto