PDA

View Full Version : 10/01/12 - Witkum Oktoberfest At Lee USA Speedway

RGeeProductions
10-01-2012, 02:27 PM
One of the winningest drivers in Lee USA Speedway history will be returning to the speedway for Oktoberfest Weekend October 19th, 20th, and 21st. Two- time Small Block Supermodified champ Eddie Witkum Jr. will be back in the family owned #21 after spending the past season at the wheel of Howie Lane’s ISMA super. And what a season it has been. Despite 3 DNF’s Witkum is still listed in fifth in the point standing ahead of a host of ISMA veterans. “We’re the most consistent team not to win yet,” says Ed.

After finishing a solid third at Lee USA in the Ollie Silva Memorial Summer Classic, Witkum was the star of the show in the Star Speedway Classic, finishing second to seven-time winner Russ Wood.“ I spun and came from the back three times,” says Eddie. And he came as close as he ever has to winning his first ISMA event.

He doesn’t have that issue at Lee USA however. With over 35 feature wins and two small block supermodified championships he has to be considered the “king” of the division. “One season I think we won 12 out of 14,” Ed interjects. He contends that, “Oktoberfest is the best race to win; it’s the last race of the year, and I won it three years in a row.”

I’m very excited to be going back to Lee,” he adds. “It’s a fun place to race, and difficult to win… and I can hardly wait to get back in a small block super.” The small block super he will be driving is owned and wrenched by his father and accomplished supermodified driver Eddie Sr. and his Uncle Bob. In his absence, they continued to win with Wayne Helliwell Jr. at the wheel. But together, they are looking for their fourth Oktoberfest win.

But it may not that easy. Recently crowned Lee USA champ Tom Tombarello and small block standouts Sparky Maciver, and Mike Ordway Jr. may have something to say about it. Oktoberfest is the last race of the season, and it’s a race that everyone else wants to win as well.

Oktoberfest Weekend will kickoff on with practice for from 3-7PM on Friday afternoon. Over 300 cars in 12 racing divisions will be in competition. Qualifying heat races will be held on Saturday. Also on Saturday afternoon, the first of two Pro Stock 50 lap feature events of the weekend, and a previously rained out 20 lap NEMA Lite feature will highlight the day’s events.

The gates will open at 12PM on Sunday. The first of 12 features will be the second Pro Stock 50 lapper with the field reverted from Saturday’s feature event. Three series titles will be decided. Jon McKennedy and Rowan Pennick have been in a close points chase all season that will come to a head in the 100 lap Valenti Modified Series event. NEMA and NEMA Lite titles will also be on the line.

George Helliwell will be out for his 10th straight win in the 20 lap Classic Lite feature. Late models, limited sportsmen, 6 cylinder ironman, hobby stocks, mini stocks, and outlaw mini stocks will also contend for season ending bragging rights in Oktoberfest feature racing action. And Eddie Witkum Jr. will be out for his 4th Oktoberfest win in the 30 lap small block supermodified feature.

A wide range of fan activities are planned; a Beer and Movie Party is planned for Friday night and the traditional Spaghetti Dinner and Dance for Saturday night. Haunted Hay rides will keep kids big and little entertained on both nights. It's the last racing bash of the season at Lee USA Speedway Oct. 19th, thru 21st.

Lee USA Speedway