PDA

View Full Version : Looks like mods back at bristol next year

mod35
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
August race week begins with the UNOH 200 Camping World Truck Series/Whelen Modified Series doubleheader Aug. 21. The Food City 250 Nationwide Series race is Aug. 23, followed by the IRWIN Tools Night Race Aug. 24.(Bristol Motor Speedway)(9-20-2012)

BigMac
10-09-2012, 02:55 PM
August race week begins with the UNOH 200 Camping World Truck Series/Whelen Modified Series doubleheader Aug. 21. The Food City 250 Nationwide Series race is Aug. 23, followed by the IRWIN Tools Night Race Aug. 24.(Bristol Motor Speedway)(9-20-2012)

They're going to be there thru at least 2014 or 2015. I believe they have a multi-year deal in place. If only Richmond was so accommodating.

mod35
10-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Never going to happen
Bristol owned by Burton
Richmond owned by NASCAR

Rob29
10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Never going to happen
Bristol owned by Burton
Richmond owned by NASCAR
Bruton.

And what's your point? Are you saying that they won't go back to Richmond (and by association Martinsville) because they're owned by NASCAR and NASCAR apparently hates the modifieds?

Rant: I fail to see the reasoning behind the "NASCAR hates the modifieds" stance. If NASCAR hated the modifieds so much, why don't they just get rid of the Tours? Why would they nominate Richie Evans for the HoF? Why wouldn't they just forget that Richie ever existed, and disband the North and South tours? There are plenty of other tours (RoC, VMRS just to name a couple) that could give modified fans their fix. So if NASCAR hated them so much, why keep them?

Also, Daytona is obviously an ISC track. Daytona is hosting the modifieds in February. Obviously not on the big track, but they'll still be racing at Daytona. Why would NASCAR allow that?

Maybe Richmond's track president just doesn't want the modifieds back. Is that possible?

End Rant.

Sorry for ranting.

wmass01013
10-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Bruton.

And what's your point? Are you saying that they won't go back to Richmond (and by association Martinsville) because they're owned by NASCAR and NASCAR apparently hates the modifieds?

Rant: I fail to see the reasoning behind the "NASCAR hates the modifieds" stance. If NASCAR hated the modifieds so much, why don't they just get rid of the Tours? Why would they nominate Richie Evans for the HoF? Why wouldn't they just forget that Richie ever existed, and disband the North and South tours? There are plenty of other tours (RoC, VMRS just to name a couple) that could give modified fans their fix. So if NASCAR hated them so much, why keep them?

Also, Daytona is obviously an ISC track. Daytona is hosting the modifieds in February. Obviously not on the big track, but they'll still be racing at Daytona. Why would NASCAR allow that?

Maybe Richmond's track president just doesn't want the modifieds back. Is that possible?

End Rant.

Sorry for ranting.

First off media members vote on WHO gets in The Hall of Fame not NASCAR
Reason they keep the tours is $$$$$$$$$

BigMac
10-10-2012, 07:50 AM
The media votes but Nascar designates who gets a vote. Just like in baseball HOF voting. Regardless, I think the whole modifieds in VA doesn't work because there are no Virginia drivers. Its the same reason most northerners stopped watching the Nascar East division. People don't know who these guys are. Hard to blame them really. At least we can enjoy Bristol for a few more years.

NC Mudcat
10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
......Reason they keep the tours is $$$$$$$$$

I doubt it. How much money do you think they could possibly make off of the mod tours? I personally have no idea, but common sense says it would be a drop in the bucket, certainly not worth the headache.

Groundpounder
10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
...Regardless, I think the whole modifieds in VA doesn't work because there are no Virginia drivers. ... People don't know who these guys are. Hard to blame them really. At least we can enjoy Bristol for a few more years.

I didn't realize there were that many modified drivers from Tennessee.

BigMac
10-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I didn't realize there were that many modified drivers from Tennessee.

There aren't any but they have a owner who loves the mods. Not so much at the VA tracks. There is nothing wrong with that either. They can do what they want. Its their place. However, given the recent shows at NHMS its hard not to think about what kind of show they would put on at the flat D shaped track. Oh well, I still think Bristol is a marque event on the WMT.

MJProcko
10-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Bruton.

End Rant.

Sorry for ranting.

I didn't see Mod35 say Nascar hates Mods. He is however correct but not fot the reason you've assumed. Nascar has chosen the K&N series over the mods - that is why they race at are at Richmond and not the modifieds, that is why they have a TV pkg and the mods do not.

This is however great news - Thank You Mr. Smith

Rob29
10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
First off media members vote on WHO gets in The Hall of Fame not NASCAR
Reason they keep the tours is $$$$$$$$$

Not just media members. "NASCAR industry leaders, manufacturer representatives, former competitors, the media, and the fans" decide on who is nominated each year. Then the voting panel chooses 5 out of the 25 nominees to be inducted.

The point was, I've seen people on here say that NASCAR doesn't respect, doesn't want to respect, wants to ignore, wants to put down the modifieds and their drivers and history. If that was the case, why not just make the HoF only be representative of the Sprint Cup Series and NNS?

I doubt it. How much money do you think they could possibly make off of the mod tours? I personally have no idea, but common sense says it would be a drop in the bucket, certainly not worth the headache.

Exactly my point. So if NASCAR truly was trying to end modified racing, why wouldn't they just do it?

I didn't see Mod35 say Nascar hates Mods. He is however correct but not fot the reason you've assumed. Nascar has chosen the K&N series over the mods - that is why they race at are at Richmond and not the modifieds, that is why they have a TV pkg and the mods do not.

This is however great news - Thank You Mr. Smith

You're right. He did not. However, have you not seen many posts in the past saying that "NASCAR hates the modifieds," "NASCAR is completely ignoring the modifieds" etc?

My rant wasn't so much a direct response to his post as much as it was a general reply to the "NASCAR hates the modifieds" thought process.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Groundpounder
10-11-2012, 06:53 AM
The basic problem is that Nascar makes decisions based on how they wish to fit the mods into their grand scheme of things, not what is best for the modified division. I suppose that's their right, but those two objectives are often incompatible.

JWfor8x
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
There aren't any but they have a owner who loves the mods. Not so much at the VA tracks. There is nothing wrong with that either. They can do what they want. Its their place. However, given the recent shows at NHMS its hard not to think about what kind of show they would put on at the flat D shaped track. Oh well, I still think Bristol is a marque event on the WMT.

I have been to Richmond to see the mods. They did put on an awesome race. There was one problem though. The place was empty. Not too many people there to see them.

uticamike
10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
I have been to Richmond to see the mods. They did put on an awesome race. There was one problem though. The place was empty. Not too many people there to see them.

Good point. There's loads of NASCAR tracks up here in the North that the Tour doesn't or no longer race at. Not being at Richmond doesn't surprise me

at all.

BigMac
10-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Not sure I'd say loads. Beyond what is on the schedule, Beech Ridge is the only viable track that stands out in New England. Devil's Bowl, Canaan and probably Lee are't big enough nor have shown much interest. Few more options in NY with Chemung, Spencer and Holland. That's more or less it for Nascar tracks.

Magicshoes12
10-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Not sure I'd say loads. Beyond what is on the schedule, Beech Ridge is the only viable track that stands out in New England. Devil's Bowl, Canaan and probably Lee are't big enough nor have shown much interest. Few more options in NY with Chemung, Spencer and Holland. That's more or less it for Nascar tracks.

I honestly think Canaan would be a great race...after going there last year for the VMRS Race it was a great show and i think there were 6 or 7 WMT guys that did the double dip that day from Loudon. Canaan just became NASCAR this year and is building itself up...hopefully or maybe just wishful thinking, we could see the WMT there in a few years. It also would be great to see them back at Lee!

JWfor8x
10-12-2012, 10:36 AM
The media votes but Nascar designates who gets a vote. Just like in baseball HOF voting. Regardless, I think the whole modifieds in VA doesn't work because there are no Virginia drivers. Its the same reason most northerners stopped watching the Nascar East division. People don't know who these guys are. Hard to blame them really. At least we can enjoy Bristol for a few more years.

Satch Worley was from Virginia and I think Ray Hendrick was too. At the last WSMT event, there were three drivers listed as being from Virginia, and two of them, Joe Scarboro and AJ Winstead listed Richmond as their home town. I don't think that having no drivers is the problem. I think that you are right though, except for racers and die hard fans, no one either knows or for that matter cares who any of these guys are. Richmond would be a great place for a combined WMT and WSMT event, but it would take a huge promotional effort to make it succeed. I am glad that the race at Bristol will be there for at least a few more years and who knows, if that grows and becomes more succesful, maybe there will be returns to both Richmond and Martinsville.

MJProcko
10-13-2012, 01:06 AM
they should run them on Saturday afternoon of the Cup weekend

RLP
10-13-2012, 02:06 PM
I would love to see them at Richmond again. I really liked Shangra La II heard something about Nascar sanction would be a great place for race!! Think they should go back to Lee agian Fri night before Star open show would be perfect