PDA

View Full Version : 10/11/12 - NASCAR Modified star Ryan Preece returning to Mahoning

RGeeProductions
10-12-2012, 10:22 AM
NASCAR Modified star Ryan Preece returning to Mahoning Valley Speedway for Octoberfast 2012

As the hype continues to grow for the “Octoberfast 2012, Fright Night in the Valley” at Lehighton’s Mahoning Valley Speedway, so too does the entry list and the latest driver to file is current NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour (NWMT) standout Ryan Preece of Berlin, Conn.

And the 22-year old may very well be heading to Mahoning Valley on October 27 as the 2012 NWMT champion as he sits second in points, just 17 behind Doug Colby going into the season finale this coming Sunday at the CARQUEST Fall Final at Stafford Motor Speedway.

Mahoning Valley holds a special place in Preece’s career. The quarter mile paved oval is the track where he got his first start in a Modified stock car which came during the 2005 season. In 2004 Preece won a TQ Midget race here.

“I’m pretty excited to tell the truth. I haven’t been there in a long time. I’m definitely excited, especially since Mahoning is the first place that I got into a Modified,” said Preece.

“Every track is unique and I remember Mahoning being just that. It’s kind of like running Daytona every single lap, you are always double file.”

Preece has been offered to drive Shawn Sitarchyk’s No. 08 car. A Mahoning veteran, Sitarchyk just completed his first season in the Modifieds and earned one feature win while finishing in the top ten in points.
“I’m fortunate enough to be driving a car that someone runs there all the time so I don’t have to worry so much about my set up,” said Preece.

He will be a teammate to three-time Modified track champion John Bennett, Mahoning’s all-time career wins leader with 59 victories including 28 with the Modifieds.

“I’m excited to get back there and to drive for that team. I have to thank Shawn (Sitarchyk) for letting me race his car. I know he’s had some good results this year and we’ll see how the race goes. The biggest thing is you just have to have patience.”

Short track pavement drivers from near and far are expecting to converge on the Lehighton bullring for the rich paying show. It is $5000-to-win the 130 lap Modified feature, $1500-to-win the 75-lap Late Model main and $1800-to-win in the Street Stock 100 lapper.

“There are a lot of people that have been hearing about that race up here. I would hope that a lot of RoC teams will show up and I know there will be a lot of guys from all around the Northeast that come out for this race. It’s a big one for Mahoning Valley and a big race for Modified racing in general for sure,” said Preece.

The Octoberfast 2012 will be run on Saturday, October 27 starting at 3:00 p.m. Sunday, October 27, will be the rain date.

Additional news can be found on the track’s website at www.mahoningvalley-speedway.com or follow all the happenings on Mahoning’s FACEBOOK page.

Mahoning Valley Speedway is located on PA route 443, two miles west of Lehighton. Race days call 570-386-4900 for latest info on events, starting times and weather.

Dino Oberto