PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to the 2013 schedule

BigMac
10-27-2012, 01:56 PM
This topic always seems to be a conversation starter. Assuming Thompson is still part of the schedule I'm guessing it will look a lot like the 2012 schedule. NHMS and Bristol already have announced dates. I haven't heard much chatter about the three bullrings. I hope all three return next year. Any other crazy rumors out there yet?

shep 06
10-28-2012, 05:17 AM
2 Riverhead dates, maybe roadcourse at Mosport Canada

limodmaniac
10-28-2012, 09:42 AM
2 Riverhead dates? OMG ... Start putting away your $300 race sponsorships!!! I will need your help big time!!! I'm broke already!!!!

I just got word from a reliable source that says the rumor of 2 races at Riverhead is just that.. a rumor!!!

Only one tour race at Riverhead is what I hear from this very reliable source!!!

shep 06
10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
i thought this thread was all about rumors? You can say you heard it here first.LOL

limodmaniac
10-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Actually heard the Riverhead rumor on the ferry coming back from Thompson couple weeks ago. Teddy Baxter is holding out for the rumor of 3 races, just like old times! Maybe on WEDNESDAYS!!!!

limodmaniac
10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
A possible schedule for next year....

April 7 or 14, Thompson Icebreaker

April 28 Stafford Spring Sizzler

May 11??? Monadnock

May 25 Stafford

June 22 Waterford ??? AJ wants two at Waterford !!!!

July 12 Loudon

July 27 Riverhead

Aug 2 Stafford

Aug 8 Thompson

Aug 21 Bristol

Sept 8 Thompson

Sept 14 Riverhead

Sept 21 Loudon

Sept 29 or Oct 6 Stafford

Oct 20 Thompson World Series

Axel
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Actually heard the Riverhead rumor on the ferry coming back from Thompson couple weeks ago. Teddy Baxter is holding out for the rumor of 3 races, just like old times! Maybe on WEDNESDAYS!!!!

and also to have those one extra laps like the olden days -- They seemed to always 201 lap races back then. Stay dry everyone. Looks like a helluva storm in NJ.

JEFF
10-29-2012, 04:13 PM
How about a race at clearfield,pa ?

MJProcko
10-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Combo races at Richmond, Martinsville, Dover & Rockingham.
2nd dates at Monadnock & Riverhead.

DaFingz
10-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I would love to see a 2nd Waterford date. A really fun event and one of the best atmospheres at a short track I have seen in recent years.

cornellsgt12
10-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Love to see the tour at Shangri-La 2

Acadia
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
With all the concerns about cost containment, there is also the other side to consider: purses, or lack thereof.

Tracks/events that can't produce a decent purse might be at risk, which means Riverhead.

RGeeProductions
11-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Really?
Riverhead?
Where are you getting your 'rumors' from?

Acadia
11-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Really?
Riverhead?
Where are you getting your 'rumors' from?

Look at the purse compared to what it takes to run a NWMT at a Riverhead event, for a competitive car. Riverhead has probably one of the biggest gaps between cost to run and winnings, for a competitive car. And that gap is waaay negative. Remember, we're only talking competitive cars here.

What did first place pay at the last NWMT event?

RGeeProductions
11-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Not thinking that will affect Riverhead not having a race(s)....

limodmaniac
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Ryan Preece took home over 11,000 for his win at Riverhead.. Now, I know that is not the "purse", but it is what he won!!! Which was more than most other tour races!!!!

Most teams took home at least 1000 bucks each, including bonus money. And a few teams took home over $2000 -

Again, thank you to all the people who sponsored laps or took a $300 car sponsorship, or played a 50/50 raffle.

Teams at Riverhead pay less to race because less tires are used.

Acadia
11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
At the last Riverhead event, there were only 23 cars, four of them were outsiders. The 66 didn't go. A very poor showing, the worst of the year.

Your comment about running at Riverhead costs less because less tires are used is somewhat debatable. These bullrings are wreckfests and there are costs in terms of other damage. When it costs several thousand just to put the car on the hauler and get to the track, the cost of a couple tires is negligible noise when there will be much other bullring damage. And don't forget no purse to pay those other than, or not far from, first place.

Most cars took home $1,000, a few took home $2,000... still deplorable. It costs several thousand more to run a competitive car at the the event. That means it cost most owners of competitive cars, all but the couple top finishers, $4,000 or more to run Riverhead.

I realize many of you are passionate about Riverhead, but the Tour just can't afford it.

mwf44
11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Don't need the latest & greatest, $50,000 engine to compete like NHMS, Thompson or Stafford plus they used to but not sure if they still do "Pay in Cash". Plus some of THE BEST fans in the Northeast.

At the last Riverhead event, there were only 23 cars, four of them were outsiders. The 66 didn't go. A very poor showing, the worst of the year.

Your comment about running at Riverhead costs less because less tires are used is somewhat debatable. These bullrings are wreckfests and there are costs in terms of other damage. When it costs several thousand just to put the car on the hauler and get to the track, the cost of a couple tires is negligible noise when there will be much other bullring damage. And don't forget no purse to pay those other than, or not far from, first place.

Most cars took home $1,000, a few took home $2,000... still deplorable. It costs several thousand more to run a competitive car at the the event. That means it cost most owners of competitive cars, all but the couple top finishers, $4,000 or more to run Riverhead.

I realize many of you are passionate about Riverhead, but the Tour just can't afford it.

Acadia
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Don't need the latest & greatest, $50,000 engine to compete like NHMS, Thompson or Stafford plus they used to but not sure if they still do "Pay in Cash". Plus some of THE BEST fans in the Northeast.

We are talking about the Tour that visits many tracks, such as Thompson, Stafford and Loudon, many more times than they run at Riverhead. They run built engines. They run at Riverhead once per season. Therefore, the latest and greatest built engine is indeed substantiated to compete at Thompson, Stafford and Loudon as you mentioned. You think they should have a cheapo engine dedicated to run the one Riverhead event per year? How will that help reduce lo$$e$?

Riverhead may have the most passionate fans, but it ain't gonna pay a purse that is worthy of the Tour. And by that I mean the purse pays, and the event does not rely on efforts of those such as limodmaniac to produce funding for the event. What limodmaniac does is commendable and sad at the same time.

You can pander to the passionate Riverhead fans all you want, but it isn't going to save Riverhead. It is stunning that Riverhead has lasted as long as it has. If the gate can't support it, then the owners shouldn't have to take a bigger hit. Isn't that part of why you left?

kja819
11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Not sure if it is still the case but Riverhead is always one of the top tracks in the Northeast in Nascar weekly revenue which means if Riverhead want a race they will get one. I for one was not a fan of Riverhead because of the damage that can happen but that damage can happen anywhere not just Riverhead. The races are usually one of the best of the year. Most teams love going also. And with Limodmanic and what he has done the last couple of years to raise the amounts of money he has makes it worth the trip. The tour can't afford not to go. It's the Modified roots short track bull rings. So according to you Acadia the tour should only run larger tracks, So Maddog and Waterford should be out also?

mwf44
11-08-2012, 04:48 PM
To clarify, I left mainly cause "the thrill was gone" for various reasons. Besides our #44 Team won its last event @ $9,000+. If it don't do nothing for you, why bother. Had just as much fun if not more going racing with Tommy Barrett & the Victory Lane Bar & Grill #9 with alot less headaches. Awesome to watch that kid drive a modified against the best like TC, Coby etc. That should tell you something. Mod Tour has turned into a "country club" for millionaires. NP, just glad there are still people that can afford it. Don't "trash" Riverhead cause any of those owners millions don't help an I-O-TA there or Monadnock or Waterford. Don't need the $12,000 "freshen-up" to the $40,000 to $50,000 piece. Try going to Loudon without that freshen-up & you'll run in the back no matter what engine you got. Been there, done that !!

Not sure if it is still the case but Riverhead is always one of the top tracks in the Northeast in Nascar weekly revenue which means if Riverhead want a race they will get one. I for one was not a fan of Riverhead because of the damage that can happen but that damage can happen anywhere not just Riverhead. The races are usually one of the best of the year. Most teams love going also. And with Limodmanic and what he has done the last couple of years to raise the amounts of money he has makes it worth the trip. The tour can't afford not to go. It's the Modified roots short track bull rings. So according to you Acadia the tour should only run larger tracks, So Maddog and Waterford should be out also?

limodmaniac
11-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm almost 100 percent sure Riverhead will have a tour race again, and I'm betting money that Monadnock will too ( Thank you Teddy Bear Pools for the $5000 sponsorship of that race - where every driver went home with at least $750.)

Purses suck everywhere - not just at the small tracks. What did Bristol pay? 1000 to start from 10th on down???
What do you think it cost to run there? It's hard all over. I would almost bet that teams lose money at every race ( unless they win) - but I bet teams lost LESS money at Riverhead!

So let's cut out Riverhead and Monadnock and have a 12 race series! Many of these teams run the entire tour - to get the bonus money at the end. So, maybe going to Riverhead for Doug Coby wasn't a money maker ( one of the few teams to go home with less than 1000) but because he was there, he was able to be point champion that will take home a pretty good chunk of change ( 75,000 or something like that I'm guessing)

No one was more pissed off that only 23 cars showed at Riverhead than me ( I'm still in therapy) but you know what, it turned out to be a great race, and some teams were able to walk off with even more extra money because of it.

There's no guarantee that we can help sponsor the race like we do each year. But when you see the gratitude of the drivers and owners, it makes it all worth the effort. And we put in this effort , because as someone said, the short tracks are where the modifieds came from. Nothing lasts forever, but while they are still there, we intend to do whatever we can to make it as enjoyable and profitable as possilbe.

Acadia
11-08-2012, 08:50 PM
The Waterford event was hugely successful if the measure was attendance. But the gate didn’t flow to the owners. When Whelan (36) announced his departure from the Tour, he mentioned Waterford and how it cost several thousand to run the event to win a couple hundred. That resulted in a net loss of a couple thousand per owner to run Waterford. And that was from an extremely well attended Waterford event. So unless Waterford shares the gate with the owners, it needs to go. The Waterford event received tons of press coverage due to the incredible attendance, but that gate apparently wasn’t shared with the owners. What a shame. I hope that the recent and hugely successful Waterford event brings about a revenue sharing plan that puts much more of the gate into the hands of the owners.

The Mod Tour is a hobby, and less and less are willing to participate in the hobby. Look at all the families that have left. It’s a shame.

limodmaniac, Coby would have been the point champion without Riverhead, so don’t try to make like Riverhead made him the champion.

I still mourn the loss of Shangri-La and Islip. Shangri-La is a gravel pit now. These were my home tracks and I saw Evans, Jarzombek, Leaty, Wayne Anderson, Greg Sacks, Brunnhoelzl Jr., Tom Baldwin, Gary Cretty, Kent, Blewitt, and Spencer regularly. I’m not anti-bullring. But Tour team owners are not financially responsible to incur larger losses to prop up tracks.

NASCAR needs to promote its product.

The owners need to form an owners group that will weigh in on things like tracks on the schedule, number of races on the schedule, race length, rules, etc. Right now, NASCAR rules with the proverbial iron fist, which dictates how much it will cost an owner. Given that the Mod Tour is a hobby, supported by the means of the owners, the owners need a say in how they spend on their hobby.

CuriousGeorge
11-08-2012, 09:03 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RBH
11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't know why I'm replying to this thread but I am. Sorry if I offend anybody & please delete this if it is to offensive. I agree with most of what Mario says but not everything, some people were competitive at Loudon with just new valve springs. Arcadia is OTL on a lot of things! 3 days @ NH is more expensive then a long day @ Riverhead, Waterford, or Mad Dog. Also when you crash at the short tracks, it is usually not as expensive as at NH, Bristol, Thompson, or Stafford. I know I'm rambling but the big Buck engines don't take much of a beating @ the short tracks because of the gear rule. There might of been less cars @ Riverhead because the point season was winding down & all the other big races surrounding it but it was a great race as have been the last few there. Yes Waterford made a killing on that race but if the weather was bad they would have lost money. It is a business. Remember NASCAR isn't a good deal but it is the best we have now. Just wish they were consistent in there rule enforcement! Thanks to LImodmanic. See you at the races next year.
To all, Please offer constructive comments & please stop *****ing!

Acadia
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
The race lengths and tire rules need to be revisited. If one set of tires is all that is allowed, set the race length commensurate with the track so there is racing for all those laps to cut out the pacing that goes on while waiting for go-time. Also, the Tour needs a couple long races, where tires are allowed. Maybe not a Thompson 300, but a real 200-250 with tires., although a Thompson 300 would be nice. With what could be four races each at Thompson and Stafford, something needs to be done to spice it up and bring uniqueness to each event.

Teds Race Tours
11-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure if you attended the race at Riverhead this year but it was among the 3 best Tour races ever at Riverhead, and probably the best race I saw all year. 23 cars was down, yes, but the result ended up being an extremely competive race, with far less carnage than any Tour Race this year.

The 66 didn't come. He stood to make anywhere from 300 to 2000 in Bonus Money if he did race at Riverhead, and like Preece, was in position to possibly win $11,000. I guess he had other plans. Don't know, but it was well worth it for him to race at Riverhead.

A Whelen Modified Tour that doesn't have Riverhead, Waterford, and Monadnock would be a VERY Sad Tour.

Go throw your negativity somewhere else. Riverhead IS one of the GREATEST Races of the Tour Season.

BigMac
11-09-2012, 02:48 PM
In defense of the car count at Riverhead, it was a makeup date from their originally scheduled date. It probably wasn't their most desired date either but there aren't any open dates in August to run a makeup. More than a few teams tore up equipment or had lost engines between the originally scheduled date and mid September. You can blame mother nature for that. I'd also argue that the tour needs more bullrings. The problem is there really aren't too many nascar affiliated short tracks in the northeast that the tour doesn't already visit. Glad to hear Monadnock is looking like they will be back in 2013. Sure do miss the WMT events at Seekonk and Beech Ridge. By the way, next to Stafford, Beech Ridge may have the strongest car counts in the northeast. No mods though.

limodmaniac
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
[limodmaniac, Coby would have been the point champion without Riverhead, so don’t try to make like Riverhead made him the champion.}

Please explain what you meant by that??? Coby won the championship by about 10 points and at Riverhead he got about 22 points for finishing last. Without those points, he does not win the championship.

Acadia
11-09-2012, 06:02 PM
[limodmaniac, Coby would have been the point champion without Riverhead, so don’t try to make like Riverhead made him the champion.}

Please explain what you meant by that??? Coby won the championship by about 10 points and at Riverhead he got about 22 points for finishing last. Without those points, he does not win the championship.

If Riverhead wasn't on the schedule, nobody else would have gotten any points. What's your point?

It's pretty simple arithmetic... without Riverhead on the schedule, Coby wouldn't have those points, and nobody else would have any points. Any race he made good points can be called THE race, Riverhead wasn't the clincher. Coby finished 22nd at Riverhead, how the hell could that have helped???? He LOST lots of ground because of Riverhead. Don't forget the 21 other cars that finished ahead of him and got more points at Riverhead. Coby would have been better off without the Riverhead results. The points he lost at Riverhead made for a way too tense next three races. Riverhead did not make Coby the point champion as you say below.

Here's what you said: "So let's cut out Riverhead and Monadnock and have a 12 race series! Many of these teams run the entire tour - to get the bonus money at the end. So, maybe going to Riverhead for Doug Coby wasn't a money maker ( one of the few teams to go home with less than 1000) but because he was there, he was able to be point champion that will take home a pretty good chunk of change ( 75,000 or something like that I'm guessing) "

Are you serious? I wouldn't expect someone to win a championship by not showing up to a race.

RLP
11-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Hey jim shouldnt u be on your way to shoot out, instead of arguing with acadia. Some people are negative and theres nothing you can do to change it. just keep on doing what u do I know whos going to races and supporting tour and whos home on cumputer with the sky is falling dribble. I will save you a seat

limodmaniac
11-09-2012, 11:19 PM
yup, I SHOULD be heading there.. but I'm not.. The Hertz rental I had reserved was no longer available because of the storm, and my co pilot also decided that after 11 days of no power, wasn't in the mood for an eleven hour drive. Caraway isn't my favorite track, but right now I'm really hating the fact I won't see a great possible battle between Matty, Ryan, Chucky, Burt, Tommy , Georgie, etc...

Acadia
11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
I guess I would like to see the third event at Loudon. Loudon had very good car counts, and very good races. There's nothing like competitive mods at Loudon.

Beech Ridge, there's a name that hasn't been on the schedule in a while. Time for Beech Ridge to be on the schedule again. :applause:

Car counts are declining, with more announced and to be announced before the 2013 season starts. The reason: Lack of purses. Don't focus on cost reduction, not much can be done and there will always be the games of trying to contain the few well funded teams that will simply outspend everyone else. It is not about costs, it is about the lack of purses. Instead, work on promoting the sport and filling the stands, increase the incoming revenue. Costs are what they are, and I don't think owners are trying hard to escalate costs, quite the opposite. So NASCAR, stay away from cost management. Tracks with the smallest purses have to be looked at closely. This isn't negative or negativism, or "trashing" Riverhead. Car counts are declining, teams are quitting, the sky is falling. If you want to call it a business, then the tracks that pay the least have to go in these times to save the Tour. Otherwise, the tracks and Tour will perish. Please stop trying to make it look like everything is just fine.

So all you Riverhead fans, here is what you need to do. Instead of having the owners foot the bill and continue to heavily subsidize your racing entertainment, each of you needs to recruit 25 people that have never been to a race and pay their entire cost to attend Riverhead. This includes transportation, tickets, food, concessions, souvenirs, etc. for all 25 fans. This can then flow into increased purses. :)

limodmaniac
11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
1. Are you assuming Beech Ridge wants a race, and if they do, are you assuming they can pay out a full purse like Stafford or Thompson?

2. The effort and money many of us have invested in Riverhead's tour race has been big. To come on here and make light of that is simply sad.

3. Teams did not go broke coming to Riverhead. Or should I say, they lost less money at Riverhead than many other tracks.

4. You do continue to bash Riverhead and our efforts.

5. I agree that purses suck - at ALL tracks!

6. The topic of this post is Looking ahead to the 2013 schedule - I look forward to the return of both Monadnock and Riverhead to the schedule. We will continue to do what ever is possible to make the "purse" look better than it actually is. I will gladly accept your lap sponsorship for $ 20 or driver sponsorship for $300.

Acadia
11-13-2012, 04:19 PM
1. Are you assuming Beech Ridge wants a race, and if they do, are you assuming they can pay out a full purse like Stafford or Thompson?

2. The effort and money many of us have invested in Riverhead's tour race has been big. To come on here and make light of that is simply sad.

3. Teams did not go broke coming to Riverhead. Or should I say, they lost less money at Riverhead than many other tracks.

4. You do continue to bash Riverhead and our efforts.

5. I agree that purses suck - at ALL tracks!

6. The topic of this post is Looking ahead to the 2013 schedule - I look forward to the return of both Monadnock and Riverhead to the schedule. We will continue to do what ever is possible to make the "purse" look better than it actually is. I will gladly accept your lap sponsorship for $ 20 or driver sponsorship for $300.

Here is what I said earlier: "Riverhead may have the most passionate fans, but it ain't gonna pay a purse that is worthy of the Tour. And by that I mean the purse pays, and the event does not rely on efforts of those such as limodmaniac to produce funding for the event. What limodmaniac does is commendable and sad at the same time."

I did not make light of what you and others did and do. I have said it is commendable. I have not trashed or bashed Riverhead or your efforts. Stop trying to make it look like I said otherwise. Simple fact that the Riverhead purse, if it exists, is terrible. Discussing that is not trashing or bashing.

Here is a simple exercise. Figure out the total gate at Riverhead, general admission only. Then figure that it costs a Mod Tour owner about $5,000+ to run an event. The number of cars multiplied by the cost to run an event is total cost to the owners. That probably far exceeds the total gate, even if 100% of the gate went to the Tour owners. Now add in the costs of the track to run the event, and that has to come from the gate. See how the Tour owners pay for your entertainment? I don't see concessions and sponsorship closing that gap. Don't forget that there are other series running the same event that have to get a piece of the gate. The Tour is the headliner, but is getting hosed. Be careful of who you accuse of bashing or trashing.

If Riverhead was such a desirable stop on the Tour, why do you do all the fundraising you do? Is that too obvious?

If you want to improve the purse, get more people in the stands.

BigMac
11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I second the motion of a return to Beech Ridge. I gotta think whatever Thompson is or isn't doing is going to have an affect on the rest of the schedule. Usually, the Stafford schedule comes out right around this time. Maybe this week???

Sicklajoie
11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I second the motion of a return to Beech Ridge. I gotta think whatever Thompson is or isn't doing is going to have an affect on the rest of the schedule. Usually, the Stafford schedule comes out right around this time. Maybe this week???
The Stafford banquet is this Friday. The schedule is usually released by then.

Sicklajoie
11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey Acadia, remember this thread?
http://www.racerhub.com/forum/showthread.php?26030-New-SPEC-Motor-Rules
You didn't seem to like it when people weren't discussing what YOU wanted to discuss, even though they were stating the facts.
You commented by saying "Stay on subject, don't cause a diversion or distraction."
Why don't you do everyone here a big favor and heed to your own advice.

Racerjoe
11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Beechridge is already on the VMRS schedule for 2013.....

Acadia
11-13-2012, 11:13 PM
What about the Chemung Speedrome? That track was on the schedule a few years ago and I missed that event. It is a NASCAR track.

Acadia
11-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Hey Acadia, remember this thread?
http://www.racerhub.com/forum/showthread.php?26030-New-SPEC-Motor-Rules
You didn't seem to like it when people weren't discussing what YOU wanted to discuss, even though they were stating the facts.
You commented by saying "Stay on subject, don't cause a diversion or distraction."
Why don't you do everyone here a big favor and heed to your own advice.

Well, I'm talking the schedule and tracks that should or should not be on the schedule.

What do you think this thread is about?

Magicshoes12
11-14-2012, 10:03 AM
This would be my schedule if I had the money to run the tour!

Race #1 - Bristol (Get the big trip out of the way first thing)(March)
Race #2 - Thompson (April)
Race #3 - Stafford (April)
Race #4 - Waterford (May)
Race #5 - Thompson (Showdown vs. South, early in season and fill hole is south schedule) (May)
Race #5 - Monadnock (June)
Race #6 - Canaan (June)
Race #7 - Loudon (July)
Race #8 - Riverhead (July)
Race #9 - Stafford (Aug)
Race #10 - Thompson (Aug)
Race #11 - Lee (Sept)
Race #12 - Loudon (Sept)
Race #13 - Beech Ridge (Sept)
Race #14 - Stafford (Oct)
Race #15 - Thompson (World Series 300)(Oct)

Now lets just hope I win powerball tonight!

Axel
11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Magic Shoes, I like the way you think. Over lunch i suspsended reality and just became the tour director of the Modified Tour, brought to you by Taylor Pork Roll. I latched onto your idea and made it bigger.

1. Richie Evans Memorial New Smyrna (FEB)
2. Daytona Small Track (FEB)
3. So Bo (MAR)
4. Caraway (MAR)
5. Bristol (Mar) 3, 4 and 5 all one weekend with mods on Sunday of course
6. Icebreaker Thompson (April)
7. Stafford (April)
8. Waterford (May)
9. Shangri-La (May)
10. Oswego (May)
11. Mahoning (May) 9, 10 ,11 all one weekend.
12. Thompson (Showdown vs. South, early in season and fill hole is south schedule) (May)
13. Riverhead (June)
14. Lime Rock (June)
15. Monadnock (July)
16. Canaan (July)
17. Loudon (July) Races 15, 16, 17 all on one weekend with mods on Sunday again.
18. Riverhead (July)
19. Stafford (Aug)
20. Thompson (Aug)
21. Waterford (Aug) with 19, 20 and 21 all one weekend.
22. Lee (Sept)
23. Loudon (Sept)
24. Beech Ridge (Sept) with 22,23 and 24 all one weekend –let the mods have a Saturday date at Loudon
25. Stafford (Oct)
26. Thompson (World Series 300)(Oct)
27. NSS (OCT)
28. Turkey Derby (NOV)

davepull
11-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Sickla,joie. Post more youtube videos from stafford layemodels

RacnJason00
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
If your gonna bring a tour race to Maine it's gotta be Oxford Plains Speedway and do the old format and have twin 125's or twin 150's with an PASS Superlatemodel show. OPS can hold 13,000 that's way more than the Ridge

limodmaniac
11-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Time will tell, but one of the initial rumors I heard of TWO Riverhead races, is now back. I am hearing this from a number of people. My hope is. that if this rumor is true, Nascar would have stipulated that it can't be a Flash Race purse!!!

Magicshoes12
11-14-2012, 09:35 PM
If your gonna bring a tour race to Maine it's gotta be Oxford Plains Speedway and do the old format and have twin 125's or twin 150's with an PASS Superlatemodel show. OPS can hold 13,000 that's way more than the Ridge

Only problem is Oxford isn't NASCAR sanctioned :rolleyes:

Acadia
11-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Time will tell, but one of the initial rumors I heard of TWO Riverhead races, is now back. I am hearing this from a number of people. My hope is. that if this rumor is true, Nascar would have stipulated that it can't be a Flash Race purse!!!

Let's hope they do as well a job promoting and getting a crowd as Waterford did this year.

RacnJason00
11-14-2012, 09:43 PM
it doesn't have to be if the new owner Tom Mayberry puts up the purse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigMac
11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't see the WMT going to any track that isn't Nascar sanctioned.

Acadia
11-15-2012, 11:01 AM

When it comes to Modifieds, perhaps NASCAR needs to realize it is no longer the 1,200 lb gorilla anymore and it needs to be a bit more cooperative. Oxford Plains would be a fantastic venue for the Tour Modifieds.

BigMac
11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
When it comes to Modifieds, perhaps NASCAR needs to realize it is no longer the 1,200 lb gorilla anymore and it needs to be a bit more cooperative. Oxford Plains would be a fantastic venue for the Tour Modifieds.

Oxford would be great, especially with the casino open now but its not going to happen. They haven't been to Seekonk since they dropped the sanction. Its just the way they do business. Nascar isn't going to take their product to an outside track. Can't blame them really. Thats why there are only a few options when it comes to adding venues to the schedule.

Axel
11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
what non-nascar tracks did the tour visit? I recall Adirondack being non-nascar...

JWfor8x
11-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Hi Jim, I hope that the rumor is true, but as much as we all would also hope that there were no flash Race purses, I can't believe that would happen. I think that without the Flash concept Riverhead would not have held tour races the last couple of years. This year, they charged $30 admission, what would they have had to charge to pay out a regular purse? I don't know, but it would have been more, probably too much more for a lot of their normal fan base to bear. Strictly from my point of view, however, I do hope that there are two races and they both pay out a full purse and that Riverhead charges what they need to charge for that to happen. While I'm throwing out my hopes, I also hope that NASCAR changes their rules enough to make it possible for more of the Riverhead regulars to run, be it one or two races.

Sicklajoie
11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Stafford 2013 WMT races
April 27-28: Sizzler 200 laps
May 24th: 125 laps
Aug 2nd: 150 laps
Sept 28-29: 150 laps

BTW they've added a 3rd MRS race for 2013
June 21
Aug 30
Sept 13
All 80 lappers

turn1fencefan
11-17-2012, 09:59 PM
You always hear that these tracks can't afford to have the tour come but after last year at Waterford, I think that the speedbowl can't afford to have the tour not come back.

Acadia
11-19-2012, 09:14 AM
You always hear that these tracks can't afford to have the tour come but after last year at Waterford, I think that the speedbowl can't afford to have the tour not come back.

Extremely well said, and it is particularly applicable to the tracks such as Waterford and Riverhead, that just don't pay a purse. The Tour is the headliner of the show and they don't get paid. WTF??? These tracks that don't have a purse need the Tour, not the other way around. The Tour wouldn't miss Riverhead at all. Riverhead especially needs the Tour to keep its own brand of Tour-Type Mod class viable. The Tour running at these purse-less events is like having the Rolling Stones do a concert in your backyard and you tell them they are the lucky ones to get the opportunity to play in your backyard and you then insult them further by paying them with a cupcake. The owners should take the $5,000 it takes to run the event and go to a casino, at least there they can lose the money much slower.

RGeeProductions
11-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Riverhead especially needs the Tour to keep its own brand of Tour-Type Mod class viable.

Could you please explain more about this "own brand of Tour-Type Mod class" that Riverhead has?
I am very interested in this concept Riverhead uses.

JWfor8x
11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Extremely well said, and it is particularly applicable to the tracks such as Waterford and Riverhead, that just don't pay a purse. The Tour is the headliner of the show and they don't get paid. WTF??? These tracks that don't have a purse need the Tour, not the other way around. The Tour wouldn't miss Riverhead at all. Riverhead especially needs the Tour to keep its own brand of Tour-Type Mod class viable. The Tour running at these purse-less events is like having the Rolling Stones do a concert in your backyard and you tell them they are the lucky ones to get the opportunity to play in your backyard and you then insult them further by paying them with a cupcake. The owners should take the $5,000 it takes to run the event and go to a casino, at least there they can lose the money much slower.

The promoters at Riverhead have had the modifieds as their feature division before there was a WMT. When other tracks, such as Staffford dumped the modifieds in favor of the SK's, Riverhead kept them as their feature division.They still get decent car counts for the modifieds even when the tour is running somewhere else and guys like TC and Preece don't compete there. Most of the Riverhead regulars don't compete in the WMT race because of the expense. Why would you say that Riverhead needs the tour race to keep the tour type modifieds? That makes no sense to me. It seems to me that they want the tour race and they support the tour and the flash race format helps them keep the tour, but that is not the same as needing it to keep their own feature division alive.

Acadia
11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
JWfor8x, it is a completely different environment now.

Way back when dirt was being born, there were tracks all over the countryside. These tracks had their own group of racers, none of this fancy-schmantcy high fahlootin' tour stuff. That's why they used flatbeds and not these enormous haulers. Maybe a couple races a year would be held and draw racers from the many tracks to a common race. But back when dirt was being born, it was weekly racing that ruled the land. But then tracks started closing up, and a tour concept was formed, so the remaining racers can tour around to the surviving tracks. The weekly racing for the high-end tour type modifieds at a dedicated local track pretty much died several decades ago. What used to be common is now reduced to the rare survivor such as Riverhead. I go to Riverhead and I feel like I just used the flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion to dial up 1971, and then I look for Doc and Marty McFly. And the demographic changes on eastern Long Island aren't helping. Eastern Long Island has gone from potato farming to wineries and exclusive enclaves, not the short track racing fan demographic.

Nowadays, there are the NWMT, NWSMT, ROC and MRS. And then there is Riverhead. How many tracks run a Tour-Type car as a dedicated and virtually insulated series like Riverhead? Certainly not as many as back in 1971. I lived in NY many years ago when tracks were all over and I could go see Evans, Spencer, Kent, etc. any time I wanted. Now if you want to see tour-type mod action in your area, you have to wait for the tour to visit, if you are lucky to be close to where they might run.

Riverhead is an island, literally and figuratively. The WMT is bridge, or link, to the "mainland" of Tour Type modified racing. Yes, it can be said that Riverhead was one of the tracks from way back when dirt was being born to run mods regularly, but it is analogous to a farm team. If the big league that uses it as an affiliate breaks the link, then the farm team has little chance of surviving on its own. I'm not aware of Tour owners or drivers with overwhelming desire to run regularly at Riverhead, or even show up once in a while to run with the Riverhead cars, but Riverhead cars do sometimes show up on the Tour. Therefore, Riverhead needs the Tour to keep their own brand of modifieds viable.

Riverhead simply has to do a great job of getting sponsorship for the Tour to establish a credible purse so that the Tour owners want to go there. Perhaps the wineries would be interested?

RGeeProductions
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah, got the "I look for Doc and Marty McFly" right.....
I guess a story can be made out of anything by some people......

CuriousGeorge
11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm not aware of Tour owners or drivers with overwhelming desire to run regularly at Riverhead, or even show up once in a while to run with the Riverhead cars, but Riverhead cars do sometimes show up on the Tour. Therefore, Riverhead needs the Tour to keep their own brand of modifieds viable.

Its actually the opposite now. Preece and TC showed up about 10 times this yr. Silk made a few and set new track record, Szegedy, and Pennink also off the top of my head.

Jaws
11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Wow, how did looking at the 2013 schedule turn into we don't need no stinking Riverhead Raceway? George, those facts don't help his story so they are left out, ask any one of the tour guys if they enjoyed a regular Sat. night race at Riverhead and I think 100% would say yes!

Long live modifieds and the tour at Riverhead!!! VIVA LA RIVERHEAD!

As Ernie Banks used to say in Baseball "Lets play Two!"

RBH
11-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Also I think Bonsignore made some races. A couple of these visits were were to prepare for the Tour race but they still went to Riverhead. Note I'm not a Riverhead regular but some of the last few Tour races have been pretty good. So more tour regulars went to Riverhead then local racers went to tour races. I'm not sure what Arcadia's goal is but maybe he should clean off his belly button so he can see the big picture!

CuriousGeorge
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Oh and if you count locals, yes, Justin, Eric Goodale made a bunch, and Heagy showed up once and started on the pole. Pretty sure Szegedy made one, and I almost forgot Rich Pallai made a bunch too. Great year for Riverhead LOL!

Acadia
11-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Boys, don't work from memory, go through the actual results. TC had a regular Riverhead ride, so of course he will be there. If you remember, TC was losing rides faster than hair, so he was available to run Riverhead. Preece showed a few times, and then not many more appearances by competitive, full-time Tour drivers. When the Tour drivers showed up, the car count was usually some of the better attended events. Some races were well below 20 cars, although the same car could have run with a non-Tour driver.

And consider that many teams take the ferry across to Riverhead. The ferry cost for the hauler and driver can be a few hundred dollars. Then there's the rest of the crew, driver and vehicles. That is a large expense to run at a track that doesn't have a purse to pay all teams a reasonable amount. The cost to haul the team on the ferry alone is more than most will take home from the purse. Does that put things in perspective for you?

You are wonderful advocates. But even the most ardent advocate has to face reality. Riverhead is a tough one to justify.

CuriousGeorge
11-19-2012, 10:32 PM
He's an expert on ferries too folks

bud
11-20-2012, 02:32 AM
And hair too....lol. I see what he is saying. Its a catch 22.
The tracks that want the mods cant all pay a great purse due to seating.
This is where nascar needs to find sponsorship to make the series.
Strong and viable again. NASCAR. Needs to realize it is in their
Best intrest to do this. More cars=more fans= more$ for everyone.
Not that hard to figure out. Jason C needs to find $ for the tour.
If Jim can do it a highly trained pr guy sould be able too!

BigMac
11-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Acadia, you say Riverhead is tough to justify but thats not for us to say. If TC or Preece wants to jump a ferrry every week and run Saturday night that is their decision to make. I'm willing to bet that the Riverhead fans are glad they did justify it. The car was already on the island. I bet its still cheaper to tow to Riverhead for a Saturday night show than it is to hang out at NHMS for 2 or 3 days. How much did it cost the drivers to fly from NHMS to Riverhead to make the Saturday night show? Again, it doesn't matter. The fact is the guys did fly back and the fans of Riverhead won again. Renting a plane to make a weekly short track race is probably crazy to begin with but you can't justify a racer's thought process. They have a good Saturday night program at Riverhead and are a good host track for the WMT. The owners lose money at all of the tracks so lets just enjoy the few remaining tracks that do host the WMT. Did you cut that $20 check to LIM yet?

Acadia
11-20-2012, 07:58 AM

Now Bud is a small business operator, maybe that is an unfair advantage as to why he gets it.

Magicshoes12
11-20-2012, 09:49 AM

Actually that would be Bob Duvall - Director of Weekly and Touring Business Development.
That is how you would get more money!

Acadia
11-20-2012, 02:21 PM
BigMac, I have not cut a check to LIM yet, nor will I. Although what LIM does is commendable, and the effort is outstanding, it is still wrong in so many ways. Now look at what has been written... according to the advocates, Riverhead has everything going for it, and somewhere it was said that the Tour needs Riverhead. So someone explain why then all this private fund raising to produce a purse of some sort? Is that just too obvious? What LIM does is commendable, but so wrong. If the event does not have the revenue stream to pay a purse, raise the ticket prices and/or get sponsors. If ticket prices are at the max the market can bear, there's a problem. LIM is doing NASCAR's job. NASCAR is a multi-billion dollar enterprise, and LIM is scraping a few thousand bucks together to keep a Tour race at Riverhead on life support. Makes no sense.

It is long past due for NASCAR, be it Jason C, Bob Duvall or whoever at NASCAR, to reinvest in the modifieds and stimulate the series. If there were substantial purses, underwritten by NASCAR, maybe that would get a few more cars pulled out of mothballs and running again. NASCAR needs to use it's brand equity to promote their product and secure sponsorship revenue. Owner's have been "voting with their feet", leaving the Tour due to the lack of purses.

NWMT PR
11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
NASCAR needs to use it's brand equity to promote their product and secure sponsorship revenue.

SEE: Whelen, ARP, Coach-Net, Coca-Cola, Comp Cams, Coors LIght, CV Products, Edelbrock, Featherlite, Holley, Hoosier, JE Pistons, K&N, Kooks, Mahle, Mechanix Wear, Mobil 1, Penske Racnig Shocks, Phyzix, Quarter Master Scorpion Racing Products, Sunoco.

Teams and tracks are resposible for securing their own sponsorship and NASCAR lends a hand those teams and tracks when interested sponsors come along.

NWMT PR
11-20-2012, 06:22 PM

This is not a set-in-stone requirement. The K&N East schedule last year went to Gresham and Clearfield, and announced today, it will go to Five Flags next year. Those are not NASCAR tracks. The K&N West has had a frequent number of races at non-NASCAR tracks in recent seasons.

NWMT PR
11-20-2012, 06:23 PM
As to the release of the 2013 schedule, we should know very soon what the timetable will be.

RacnJason00
11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
As to the release of the 2013 schedule, we should know very soon what the timetable will be.

HELL YAH... Bring it back to Oxford Plains Speedway

BigMac
11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
This is not a set-in-stone requirement. The K&N East schedule last year went to Gresham and Clearfield, and announced today, it will go to Five Flags next year. Those are not NASCAR tracks. The K&N West has had a frequent number of races at non-NASCAR tracks in recent seasons.

Understood. I know the East series use to stop at Airborne a lot too. However, I don't think the WMT has run an unsanctioned short track in quite some time. I'd bet my paycheck the mods won't go to an unsanctioned track in New England or NY in 2013.

Rob29
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Could someone do me a favor and quickly explain what a "Flash Race Purse" is?

Ben Althen
11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Lime Rock is not NASCAR sanctioned, the North/East series ran there for years, as well as the two WMT races.

uticamike
11-20-2012, 09:51 PM
and LIM is scraping a few thousand bucks together to keep a Tour race at Riverhead on life support. Makes no sense.

Makes no sense to whom? Of course NASCAR could do more. a lot more but they don't so fans like Jim step do what they can to keep the Tour

and it's teams on his "home" track. Nothing wrong with that either because it's his money or those that put in their own. He's not trying to

"save" the WMT. What makes no sense is you crapping on every little thing being discussed here. You really are enamored with yourself aren't you.?

bud
11-21-2012, 04:13 AM
So NASCAR sets a minimum purse for the track
If the track meets this minimum why would they add those dollars to the purse. It is the track that is putting its
financial neck out. Yes the series sponsors are great. Time to get race sponsors....omg are you guys that over worked.....really?
Its 14 races how much work would it take....

bud
11-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Nascar pr...."its in gods hands now....lets sit back and see how it pans out"

more like god help us......

BigMac
11-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Lime Rock is not NASCAR sanctioned, the North/East series ran there for years, as well as the two WMT races.

You are correct, Lime Rock isn't sanctioned but neither is Bristol or NHMS. I don't count that because Nascar basically rents the facility at those places for Cup weekends and the WMT still runs under the Nascar banner at those events. A lot of Cup tracks are in fact not Nascar sanctioned.

Acadia
11-21-2012, 09:22 AM
SEE: Whelen, ARP, Coach-Net, Coca-Cola, Comp Cams, Coors LIght, CV Products, Edelbrock, Featherlite, Holley, Hoosier, JE Pistons, K&N, Kooks, Mahle, Mechanix Wear, Mobil 1, Penske Racnig Shocks, Phyzix, Quarter Master Scorpion Racing Products, Sunoco.

Teams and tracks are resposible for securing their own sponsorship and NASCAR lends a hand those teams and tracks when interested sponsors come along.

Well, that clearly isn't enough. It doesn't come close. What is NASCAR doing over the winter to improve the purses and draw more cars to the events?

NWMT PR, you have to understand that 'NASCAR' is the brand here. NASCAR needs to bring something other than name recognition, and let me be specific: underwriting of purses.

JWfor8x
11-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Just to get this thread just a little closer to the topic, I will go to Riverhead, be it one or two races and then if I can find enough money somewhere, I will try and get off the island for some race, somewhere. It all depends on the schedule and my funds.

mod35
11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
LIM is scraping a few thousand bucks together to keep a Tour race at Riverhead on life support. Makes no sense.
Acadia The only one that doesnt make sence is YOU LIM does a great Job If you *****ED less and did more like Lim does MOD racing in general would be better. MOD35

CuriousGeorge
11-21-2012, 01:17 PM
For 20,000$ we can call it the Acadia 200 at Riverhead Raceway :lol::lol::lol::lol:

NWMT PR
11-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Time to get race sponsors....omg are you guys that over worked.....really?
Its 14 races how much work would it take....

You want NASCAR to do the promotion for the race, add more purse to the race, and secure a sponsor for the track for the race. At what point do you want the track to take responsibility for the event? We are not leasing out the track for an event, that is not our business model. It is the track that is bringing the tour in, it is their event.

Stafford announced its 2013 schedule last week ... the only NWMT track so far to do so. Their schedule includes four NWMT events, three of which already have sponsors. The vast majority of tracks are more than capable of handling their own business just fine.

Acadia
11-21-2012, 03:02 PM
LIM is scraping a few thousand bucks together to keep a Tour race at Riverhead on life support. Makes no sense.
Acadia The only one that doesnt make sence is YOU LIM does a great Job If you *****ED less and did more like Lim does MOD racing in general would be better. MOD35

I pay my ticket fee, that is all anyone should need to do.

Acadia
11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
You want NASCAR to do the promotion for the race, add more purse to the race, and secure a sponsor for the track for the race. At what point do you want the track to take responsibility for the event? We are not leasing out the track for an event, that is not our business model. It is the track that is bringing the tour in, it is their event.

Stafford announced its 2013 schedule last week ... the only NWMT track so far to do so. Their schedule includes four NWMT events, three of which already have sponsors. The vast majority of tracks are more than capable of handling their own business just fine.

Oh boy, I don't know where to begin with this, there is so much here.

Those sponsors that Stafford has, will they produce a purse that will draw more cars than is required for a full field?

What exactly is NASCAR's business model with regard to NWMT? I would hope that it includes paying the teams to induce them to continue operating. What value does NASCAR bring to Modified racing?

NASCAR needs to be very concerned with declining car counts and the small number of cars that run an entire season. There are plenty of cars out there, but NASCAR has to do something to get those cars running again. If NASCAR doesn't see this as being in its best interests, then what exactly does NASCAR bring to Modified racing?

Back in the day, when racing was wildly popular, the product sold itself. That appears to be the business model that NASCAR is still holding on to. But the product is not wildly popular anymore, it doesn't sell itself. Look at the empty stands at a Cup race. If ticket revenue is important, I don't see how the trucks and Nationwide exists, there's nobody in the stands at those events!!!! NASCAR needs to get sponsorship for the Mods. NASCAR needs to do this, for they are the sanctioning body for this product.

Sicklajoie
11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
While the PR guy is lurking here I'd like to know one thing...
What is up with all these NASCAR Official sponsors??
http://www.nascar.com/guides/sponsors/
Why does NASCAR need an "Official Body Wash" or an "Official Cookie and Cracker"???
Wouldn't this list of 41 sponsors be better used with helping the racers and racetracks rather than NASCAR lining their own pockets??

RGeeProductions
11-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow, what did I miss?
Whelen dropped sponsoring the modified tours?????

MJProcko
11-22-2012, 02:24 AM
While the PR guy is lurking here I'd like to know one thing...
What is up with all these NASCAR Official sponsors??
http://www.nascar.com/guides/sponsors/
Why does NASCAR need an "Official Body Wash" or an "Official Cookie and Cracker"???
Wouldn't this list of 41 sponsors be better used with helping the racers and racetracks rather than NASCAR lining their own pockets??

The problem with all the "official sponsors" is while they line the pockets of Nascar they discourage partitipation of like sponsors and kill the availibility of much needed sponsors for the race teams. It also skews coverage of the cars while on the track to the ones with an "official sponsor" instead of the ones paying to put the cars on the track.... unless ofcourse they bought commercial time.

Acadia
11-22-2012, 09:04 AM
The problem with all the "official sponsors" is while they line the pockets of Nascar they discourage partitipation of like sponsors and kill the availibility of much needed sponsors for the race teams. It also skews coverage of the cars while on the track to the ones with an "official sponsor" instead of the ones paying to put the cars on the track.... unless ofcourse they bought commercial time.

Very well said. The cell phone company wars was a perfect example. Plenty of sponsors are now excluded, what a detriment.

Groundpounder
11-22-2012, 10:03 AM

That's great and all, but why do other independent series like WoO, Lucas Oil Late Models, etc. have enough financial support that they can run for much bigger purses. You would think a tour that is part of the largest national sactioning body would have that advantage.

rim runner
11-22-2012, 10:43 PM
That's great and all, but why do other independent series like WoO, Lucas Oil Late Models, etc. have enough financial support that they can run for much bigger purses. You would think a tour that is part of the largest national sactioning body would have that advantage.

That's easy - those independent series have much less overhead to account for, so more of the purse can be applied to the race for that particular night.

Almost half of a NASCAR Modified purse goes toward the point fund, administration costs, etc.

Bobby1717
11-23-2012, 05:21 AM
This is not a bad payout in my books. Here is the WOO point fund payout for 2010. I can't find 2012I believe it was a similar payout.
Jason Meyers $150,000
Donny Schatz $75,000
Steve Kinser $55,000
Joey Saldana $50,000
Jason Sides $45,000
Paul McMahan $41,000
Craig Dollansky $37,500
Lucas Wolfe $34,000
Danny Lasoski $32,000
Kraig Kinser $30,000
Sam Hafertepe Jr. $20,000
Jac Haudenschild $15,000
Chad Kemenah $13,500
Ben Gregg $12,500
Toni Lutar $11,500

Acadia
11-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Can somebody share the 2012 NWMT point fund payout?

Acadia
11-23-2012, 09:30 AM
The NWMT Champ won about $70-80K in winnings over 14 races, or $5,300 per race.

The Nationwide Champ won $1,494,710 over 33 races, or $45,300 per race.

The Camping World Champ won $465,750 over 22 races, or $21,170 per race.

What I find amazing is that there is nobody in the stands for the Nationwide or Camping series races, so those winnings can't be getting paid by ticket revenue. Where are those huge purses coming from? In two races, the Nationwide Champ made the entire seasons winnings of the NWMT Champ.

This has everything to do with the schedule. After all, NWMT PR has made it clear that the track is responsible for securing sponsors. So do all the tracks secure the sponsorship dollars that payout the purses in the Nationwide and Camping World series? Amazing how all those sponsors fund Nationwide and Camping World series events with empty stands. Why would a corporate entity sponsor an event where the stands are empty? TV coverage?

Axel
11-23-2012, 09:50 AM
nascar needs to think differently about the mod tour. I once worked for a training organization that lamented that fewer and fewer people were coming to their classes, but no one did anything to find out why people weren't coming to classes. It's the voice of the customer! Find out what they want and need and give it to them. Until they started engaging people at the right level and listening to them, revenues went down, down and down. They got someone bright and energetic to turn it around and it was an outstanding success.

What makes racing a different case than above is that the owners/teams are a major constituency, not just sanctioning body and customers.

I agree with Acadia (scary) that the nascar biz model is old, tired and broken. Boring, boring, boring. Something really has to change, or maybe it's us crazed mod fans who are out of step...

BigMac
11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Axel, great point. People come on here everyday and spout off amount what they would like to see changed, green flag only races, one tire changes at the bullrings and a new restart rule amongst others. The problem is they fall on deaf ears. At some point, paying $40-$80 dollars to watch cars race half the advertised distance has an affect and it hurts the track owner the most. While I don't expect Nascar to do the tracks job, Nascar could easily tweak a few race procedure rules to help out the track owners and make these events more exciting to draw more fans back. If I owned a track and was paying all that cash to host the event I would like to think I could have some say over the format of the event.

BigMac
11-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Monadnock May 11th. They re tentative 2013 schedule is online

MOD11RACER
11-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Can you so called Modified fans ( if you are really Modified fans) stop HATING the WMT. JC all you people do is B---h. It's the best we have. Without the WMT and Whelen Engineering the Modifieds would be dead. What do you want the Modified teams to do ? Run for the s--t purses and point fund monies ( $5,000 to win the championship VS $60,000 to $70,000 to win the WMT) they pay on the MRS and ROC. Those Tours are for wannabes and practice for young racers that want to run for a real Championship. The WMT Championship. The only real Modified Champion of 2012 is Doug Coby.

What race ran only half of the advertised distance ???

Do you really want to sit through 2 hour or 2 1/2 hour races ? NOT ME.

Let me educate you so you can stop writing BS.

Thompson Advertised 150 laps - Actual 159 Laps - Yellow 45 Laps - Green 114 Laps

Stafford Advertised 200 Laps - Actual 200 Laps - Yellow 33 Laps - Green 167 Laps

Monandnock Advertised 175 Laps - Actual 175 Laps - Yellow 60 Laps - Green 115 Laps

Stafford Advertised 125 Laps - Actual 125 Laps - Yellow 21 Laps - Green 104 Laps

Waterford Advertised 161 Laps - Actual 163 Laps - Yellow 26 Laps - Green 137 Laps

Loudon Advertised 100 Laps - Actual 100 Laps - Yellow 26 Laps - Green 74 Laps

Stafford Advertised 150 Laps - Actual 150 Laps - Yellow 30 Laps - Green 120 Laps

Thompson Advertised 150 Laps - Actual 150 Laps - Yellow 34 Laps - Green 116 Laps

Bristol Advertised 150 Laps - Actual 150 Laps - Yellow 54 Laps - Green 96 Laps

Thompson WMT Showdown Advertised 75 Laps - Actual 82 Laps - Yellow 14 Laps - Green 82 Laps

Thompson WSMT Showdown Advertised 75 Laps - Actual 75 Laps - Yellow 3 Laps - Green 72 Laps

Thompson Showdown Combo Race Advertised 50 Laps - Actual 50 Laps - Only 2 Yellows

Riverhead Advertised 200 Laps - Actual 203 Laps - Yellow 45 Laps - Green 158 Laps

Loudon Advertised 100 Laps - Actual 100 Laps - Yellow 17 Laps - Green 83 Laps

Stafford Advertised 150 Laps - Actual 150 Laps - Yellow 24 Laps - Green 126 Laps

Thompson Advertised `150 Laps - Actual 150 Laps - Yellow 38 Laps - Green 112 Laps

That's pretty good racing to me. A lot of green flag laps.

Sicklajoie
11-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Can you so called Modified fans ( if you are really Modified fans) stop HATING the WMT. JC all you people do is B---h. It's the best we have. Without the WMT and Whelen Engineering the Modifieds would be dead. What do you want the Modified teams to do ? Run for the s--t purses and point fund monies ( $5,000 to win the championship VS $60,000 to $70,000 to win the WMT) they pay on the MRS and ROC. Those Tours are for wannabes and practice for young racers that want to run for a real Championship. The WMT Championship. The only real Modified Champion of 2012 is Doug Coby.

And YOU call yourself a real modified fan while crapping on the other series??? Gimme a break.
It don't matter to me what they are... WMT, MRS, SK's or SK Lights. I like ALL modifieds.

csg
11-23-2012, 07:26 PM
I think you guys are really discounting the idea that Thompson may not run next year. There was a story by RaceDayCT which indicated they were not sure what their plans are for next season. This was first reported at the world series and then revisited in early November with still no decision yet made on their direction for next season. There is some talk of making a road course on the property and trying to make a go of that. If Thompson does not run next year you are not left with much of a tour schedule based on this past season's schedule.

The 2013 PASS Super Late Model schedule was released recently, a tour which has had at least one date at Thompson for several consecutive years, and there was no Thompson race scheduled. If Thompson was planning on running next season it would have been in their best interest to announce it as early as possible to keep their weekly competitors and try to draw in some new competitors. With this delay, inevitably some of their weekly drivers will be looking at changing over their car's specs to race at other area tracks for racing next season. The next hint we will get to what Thompson's plans are will be at the MRS awards in early December (8th) then we should know definitively with thompson's awards the following weekend.

rim runner
11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I think you guys are really discounting the idea that Thompson may not run next year. There was a story by RaceDayCT which indicated they were not sure what their plans are for next season. This was first reported at the world series and then revisited in early November with still no decision yet made on their direction for next season. There is some talk of making a road course on the property and trying to make a go of that. If Thompson does not run next year you are not left with much of a tour schedule based on the past season's schedule. The PASS Super Late Model schedule was released recently, a tour which has had at least one date at Thompson for several consecutive years and there was no Thompson race scheduled. If Thompson was planning on running next season it would have been in there best interest to announce it as early as possible so that there weekly competitors would not change over their cars to other area track specs maybe even draw in some new competitors. I think the next hint we will get to thompsons plans are with the MRS awards in early December (8th) then we should know definitively with thompsons awards the following weekend.

I wouldn't read too much into Thompson not being on the PASS schedule. That race is often one of the last to be announced, and PASS has said there could be two more dates added to their schedule.

Hard to imagine Thompson not open for at least special events, but anything is possible I guess.

Rob29
11-23-2012, 08:57 PM
The NWMT Champ won about $70-80K in winnings over 14 races, or $5,300 per race.

The Nationwide Champ won $1,494,710 over 33 races, or $45,300 per race.

The Camping World Champ won $465,750 over 22 races, or $21,170 per race.

What I find amazing is that there is nobody in the stands for the Nationwide or Camping series races, so those winnings can't be getting paid by ticket revenue. Where are those huge purses coming from? In two races, the Nationwide Champ made the entire seasons winnings of the NWMT Champ.

This has everything to do with the schedule. After all, NWMT PR has made it clear that the track is responsible for securing sponsors. So do all the tracks secure the sponsorship dollars that payout the purses in the Nationwide and Camping World series? Amazing how all those sponsors fund Nationwide and Camping World series events with empty stands. Why would a corporate entity sponsor an event where the stands are empty? TV coverage?

The TV deal (at least in the Sprint Cup Series) is actually able to pay the purse for the most part. I would assume it's similar in the Nationwide Series. I don't have the time right now, but look up a story about FOX and NASCAR's new deal.

bud
11-24-2012, 12:43 PM
With the mods. How much series sponsor money goes to the owners and how much goes inti the dark hole called NASCAR

Acadia
11-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Nobody is hating on the WMT. The Tour is in decline, and if it keeps going the way it is, it will be irrelevant in a couple seasons if not the coming season. If we want to see the Tour mods return to their glory days, then the things we are discussing need to be discussed and remedied. Clearly NWMT PR lurks here, and maybe others. Perhaps they will see something and realize they can do better, that they HAVE to do better. I'd like to see a Tour with more than six cars that have a chance to win the championship. Let's face it, all is not rosy in NWMT Tour land. You can't just ignore it and expect it to get better on its own. Good teams have already announced they are done, and more won't be back. There aren't teams of the same caliber in the MRS or ROC that can replace the WMT teams that have already left, and are going to leave.

If you want a Tour with the best modified racing then you better speak with NASCAR to tell them to stop bleeding the owners dry so more will stay with the Tour, or come back to the Tour. Tell NASCAR to put up respectable purses worthy of the great owners, drivers and teams on the Tour. That will make for a great schedule.

Groundpounder
11-24-2012, 05:34 PM
That's easy - those independent series have much less overhead to account for, so more of the purse can be applied to the race for that particular night.

Almost half of a NASCAR Modified purse goes toward the point fund, administration costs, etc.

hahahaaa hahahahaha... oh, you were actually serious with that reply? bwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa.......

uticamike
11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
"Let me educate you so you can stop writing BS.

Thompson Advertised 150 laps - Actual 159 Laps - Yellow 45 Laps - Green 114 Laps

Stafford Advertised 200 Laps - Actual 200 Laps - Yellow 33 Laps - Green 167 Laps........"

Let me educate you. Not all of us actually consider caution laps racing. You seem to value how many laps the cars circle the track. Why did you leave out practice, TT and

the parade laps. Mod11 let me ask you this. How many fewer cars and tracks will their have to be for YOU to speak up about current trends? As Joe Lajoie so aptly put it

they're ALL Mods and real fans like all the series (and the open) shows. Your WMT snobbery gets old. The NASCAR show should be wayyyy better than the other two you

mentioned but the Whelen Tour is getting more like them with each passing season. None of us likes that and that is why we are concerned. Calling us "haters"

is easy but doesn't address the obvious decline of the Tour. Deal with that.

bud
11-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Anyone get the feeling Thompson may have been sending a message to the tour at the world series when at the
last minute the VMRS was invited? Stafford running them 3times next yr.
Maybe NASCAR needs to figure out.... not the only game in town! Also a lot of the same drivers....
Heard a rumor that even the Woodmister may be on board next yr......wow!!!!;

bud
11-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Mod 11. U were pretty pissed back around the first mod race at loudon....
Chad and the boys come knocking on your door late one night. .. lol

Bob T. Racer
11-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Mod11-You take Doug Coby and his winnings and i'll take the wannabe Matty Hirschman and his s--t winnings at the other tracks!

JMB
11-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Mod11-You take Doug Coby and his winnings and i'll take the wannabe Matty Hirschman and his s--t winnings at the other tracks!

Ok, this is now officially dumber than any of the PASS vs ACT(Super Late Model vs Late Model) debates other boards have had over the past 6 or 7 years. Congrats Southern New England/NY/NJ race fans and message board posters, I guess you win something.

uticamike
11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok, this is now officially dumber than any of the PASS vs ACT(Super Late Model vs Late Model) debates other boards have had over the past 6 or 7 years. Congrats Southern New England/NY/NJ race fans and message board posters, I guess you win something.

You forgot about Pennsylvania. :)

Acadia
11-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Mod11, what gives? Many if not most of your posts are about how woefully deficient the WMT purses are. Now you call discussion about that "hating"?

And if you want to talk about WMT laps, do the same analysis on the MRS and ROC, see how they compare. This was a good year for green laps on the WMT.

limodmaniac
11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
What I am most looking forward to in 2013

1 A week of racing at Daytona/ New Smyrna

2.Another tour race at Monadnock

3. The Star SBM 125

4. The Seekonk open show

5. Anything at Loudon

6. A Riverhead Tour race

7. A 2nd Riverhead Tour race

8. A track that I've never been to ( Daytona and ?? hopefully somewhere else)

9. The new tradition - the Mahoning end of the year race

10. The old tradition - Turkey Derby - never gets old!

11 - Stafford's June VMRS show - the first race of my summer vacation - work over at noon, ferry by 2:00!!!

Acadia
11-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm really hoping for Oxford Plains. Anyone know when the schedule will be released?

limodmaniac
11-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Oxford Plains released their schedule and they do have the VMRS in July. No Whelen Tour

rim runner
11-27-2012, 08:24 AM
hahahaaa hahahahaha... oh, you were actually serious with that reply? bwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa.......

Funny but very true. No touring series has the overhead NASCAR has.

NWMT PR
11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Since the subject of this thread was originally about the 2013 schedule, I thought I'd stay on topic and recap what has been confirmed by the tracks so far. ...

April 28 - Stafford
May 11 - Monadnock
May 24 - Stafford
Aug. 2 - Stafford
Aug. 21 - Bristol
Oct. 6 - Stafford

The full schedule should be ready for release soon, and if any other tracks publish their schedule in the meantime, I'll add those dates here.

wrench1
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Since the subject of this thread was originally about the 2013 schedule, I thought I'd stay on topic and recap what has been confirmed by the tracks so far. ...

April 28 - Stafford
May 11 - Monadnock
May 24 - Stafford
Aug. 2 - Stafford
Aug. 21 - Bristol
Oct. 6 - Stafford

The full schedule should be ready for release soon, and if any other tracks publish their schedule in the meantime, I'll add those dates here. Any word on thompsons plans?

BigMac
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Dollar to donuts Thompson will run the WMT events. I thought NHMS was unofficially official. Hopefully Santa will leave us mod fans with something shiny and new on the 2013 schedule. Although most of the Nascar tracks have already announced their 2013 plans.

Acadia
11-27-2012, 11:02 AM
As far as Thompson goes, from what I read, they were considering ending the weekly series stuff, not the special events. So Tour racing should be safe. We'll see.

Well, with the MRS is running more and more events at Stafford and Thompson, it seems like those two series should not run regularly on the same dates at the same tracks. It just raises ticket prices. Better to have more modified racing dates at reasonable ticket prices. That means quibbling over dates between the two series and the tracks to fill out an overall season schedule. Wonder how that's going...

Acadia
11-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Beech Ridge has a modified racing series event on August 3, 2013.

limodmaniac
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
According to ISMA 2013 schedule, Thompson has a race on Oct 13 - However, this would be Columbus day weekend. Didnt think Thompson usually ran that weekend - but the week after.

BigMac
11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
I found an interesting post on jayski tonight. The Nascar truck series is heading to Eldora for a Wednesday night prime time DIRT race in July. Even if you don't like the fenders this is way cool in my opinion. The article goes on to say that the trucks are also looking at a possible Greenville-Pickens race in 2013 and a Myrtle Beach Speedway race in 2014. In addition, Nascar is looking at running heats for the trucks at the short tracks in an attempt to get back to its roots. Given that these are going to be televised events it makes me wonder if there is a spot for the modifieds in future years at any of these events. Myrtle Beach has been mentioned as a possible destination for the mods in years past. The trucks and mods already run the twin bill together at Bristol in August. Either way, I give Nascar credit for at least attempting to get back to what made the sport. Now lets apply the back to basics thought process to the WMT. The jayski post is below:

•Another new track in 2013 - Greenville Pickens; possibly heat races? NASCAR tentatively plans to add Eldora Speedway in Ohio and Greenville-Pickens Speedway in South Carolina to the Truck Series schedule in 2013, NASCAR officials confirmed on Friday. The series is looking to move to Myrtle Beach Speedway in South Carolina in 2014. NASCAR executive Steve O'Donnell said on Saturday that experts from the University of Nebraska that developed the SAFER barriers used at all tracks in the top three series are scheduled to visit Eldora Speedway after Thanksgiving. O'Donnell said that if plans to design a barrier that can be anchored to dirt is financially feasible for track owner Tony Stewart, the series will schedule a race at the half-mile track next season. It will be the first time NASCAR has scheduled a race on dirt since 1970. O'Donnell said Nebraska officials already have visited Greenville-Pickens Speedway, a half-mile paved track in South Carolina, and plans are moving forward to add barriers. O'Donnell also said NASCAR is considering heat races in the Truck Series, another way for the sport to get back to its roots. O'Donnell said the Truck schedule should be released in the next week or two.(ESPN.com.)(11-17-2012)

CuriousGeorge
11-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Thought I read the Trucks will be at a road course in Canada. Maybe the Mods will join them??

Acadia
11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
The Camping World Trucks should visit 5/8-mile Thompson Speedway.

When I was a little kid, NASCAR Grand National cars ran at itty-bitty Islip Speedway. The Grand National cars were the precursor to today's Cup series. It was crazy seeing all those huge Dodges, Plymouths and Fords on that tiny track. The lineup of cars stretched around the track with hardly any open track space. Talk about short track racing.

JWfor8x
11-30-2012, 11:22 AM

When I was a little kid, NASCAR Grand National cars ran at itty-bitty Islip Speedway. The Grand National cars were the precursor to today's Cup series. It was crazy seeing all those huge Dodges, Plymouths and Fords on that tiny track. The lineup of cars stretched around the track with hardly any open track space. Talk about short track racing.

I remember that. They pitted on the figure 8 course. They also ran at the 2.85 mile road course at Bridgehampton. The first turn after the main straight was a downhill, blind right hander. There was one guy who ran there whenever there was a professional race, Walt Hansgen. He ran the Grand Rational races there too. He never lifted on that turn. He was the only one that I ever saw who could do that. He was later killed in Europe in a Formula One race. Now, Riverhead is the last race track on Long island. It's a different world now. I think it would be good for the southern mod tour to run with the trucks at Greenville Pickens and hope that it happens.

RGeeProductions
11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Thought I read the Trucks will be at a road course in Canada. Maybe the Mods will join them??

Maybe they willl.....

Groundpounder
11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

It was crazy seeing all those huge Dodges, Plymouths and Fords on that tiny track.

"huge"? Really?? They weren't any bigger than the street stocks of the day.

Acadia
11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
"huge"? Really?? They weren't any bigger than the street stocks of the day.

Yeah, HUGE... The HUGE Grand National Dodges, Plymouths and Fords were far bigger than the cars that normally ran at Islip, such as the mods, VW series, import series, etc. The VW series put on great races at that track.

JWfor8X... the infield at Islip was packed for the big modified events where pit stops were required/allowed. That was an awesome track with great racing.

Rob29
11-30-2012, 01:47 PM

I love that idea and I've actually been saying that on Twitter for a while. That would be a very cool race. Shame that they aren't coming up to NHMS anymore. You could have run Thompson one week and then the next week at NHMS (or the other way around) and maybe it would save on transportation that way a little bit.

I never got to get to Islip. I was too young. It was gone before I was born I think. My dad always told me stories about going there and to Freeport when he was growing up. I'd have loved to have seen Islip.

BigMac
11-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Maybe they willl.....

Bristol TN and Ontario Canada in the same 10 day span. Been there, done that. No thanks. Nascar usually gives the boys the holiday weekends off anyway. However, if I'm reading between the lines you're saying nascar is going to try it again.

JWfor8x
11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, HUGE... The HUGE Grand National Dodges, Plymouths and Fords were far bigger than the cars that normally ran at Islip, such as the mods, VW series, import series, etc. The VW series put on great races at that track.

JWfor8X... the infield at Islip was packed for the big modified events where pit stops were required/allowed. That was an awesome track with great racing.

Islip was only 1/5'th of a mile and the modifieds were great there. That was then, Riverhead isnow. It's a 1/4 mile and also great for modifieds. I am eagerly looking forward to seeeing a tour race there this year.

JWfor8x
11-30-2012, 04:32 PM
I love that idea and I've actually been saying that on Twitter for a while. That would be a very cool race. Shame that they aren't coming up to NHMS anymore. You could have run Thompson one week and then the next week at NHMS (or the other way around) and maybe it would save on transportation that way a little bit.

I never got to get to Islip. I was too young. It was gone before I was born I think. My dad always told me stories about going there and to Freeport when he was growing up. I'd have loved to have seen Islip.

When I was a kid, most of the racing I saw was at Freeport Stadium although we did make an occassional trip to Islip Turns one and two were banked and three and four were flat. It was a fun place to go.

CuriousGeorge
11-30-2012, 04:59 PM
I had also heard that WMT would only do a road course again if they could have back to back road course races, so this would lead me to believe Lime Rock would be back on the schedule too ??

limodmaniac
11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
I think Ontario also has a half mile track.

If they were going to do 2 road courses, and if they were going to go back to back, would be really hard around that time of year to make it possible, unless Thompson dropped their Sept show.

Greenville Pickens wasnt on the truck schedule I dont think.

If Riverhead gets that second date, and if its the Sept date, might be a very busy part of the year again. - Thompson, Riverhead, Loudon, Stafford, 3 consecutive weekends.

BigMac
11-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I also think there is an agreement in place that Nascar won't schedule more than 3 races in any given month. That was at the request of the teams. There is no way the teams could run Bristol, drive home and change over all the cars and make it to Canada. No way I say. A half mile makes slightly more sense but they still only had 18 cars when they went in 2011. It would make a lot more sense at a different time of year. Aug/Sept is the meat of the schedule and there really isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. If they add any races your looking at May or June. I don't even see Riverhead in Sept unless Thompson drops their date.

limodmaniac
11-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I think an early June date for Riverhead ( if there is a 2nd race) would be perfect. My guess is the Canada thing won't happen. Of course, if Thompson isn't part of the season ( tho it IS on the ISMA schedule) - then , anything goes.

My guess of a schedule -
April 7 Thompson
April 28 Stafford
May 11 Monadnock
May 24 Stafford
June 8 Riverhead
June 22 Waterford
July 13 Loudon
July 27 Riverhead
Aug 2 Stafford
Aug 8 Thompson
Aug 21 Bristol
Sept 8 Thompson
Sept 21 Loudon
Sept 29 Stafford
Oct 13 or 20 Thompson

Would love a 2nd race at Waterford, but where would you fit it in schedule?

Rob29
11-30-2012, 07:31 PM
I think Ontario also has a half mile track.

If they were going to do 2 road courses, and if they were going to go back to back, would be really hard around that time of year to make it possible, unless Thompson dropped their Sept show.

Greenville Pickens wasnt on the truck schedule I dont think.

If Riverhead gets that second date, and if its the Sept date, might be a very busy part of the year again. - Thompson, Riverhead, Loudon, Stafford, 3 consecutive weekends.

It is not. Rumor was Greenville-Pickens and Eldora were going to be the new short-tracks for 2013 and maybe Myrtle Beach Speedway in 2014. Eldora made it on as well as the road course in Canada but Greenville-Pickens did not. Maybe in '14 with Myrtle Beach.

RGeeProductions
11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
My guess of a schedule -

April 7 Thompson
April 28 Stafford
May 11 Monadnock
May 24 Stafford
June 8 Riverhead
June 22 Waterford
July 13 Loudon
Aug 2 Stafford
Aug 8 Thompson
Aug 21 Bristol
Sept 8 Thompson
Sept 14 Riverhead
Sept 21 Loudon
Sept 29 Stafford
Oct 13 or 20 Thompson

And a Canada race at either a 4/10th mile track or a road course...
But then again, what do I know....

limodmaniac
11-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Stafford July 27? Thought they already released their schedule?

csg
11-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Yes Stafford released their schedule, the tour is there Aug 2nd. Now wasnt there some talk about the Whelen Modifieds running a dirt track sometime last year. And wasnt July a somewhat empty month last year for the Whelen Tour, and isnt Eldora running a Nascar truck race in July 24 th which was an empty weekend for the tour, and doesnt Tony Stewart and his team mate Ryan Newman on occasion been seen running a tour type modified. Hmm. Whelen tour at Eldora, you heard it here first. Now back to wearing a tin foil hat and drinking because thats how ideas like this are created.

JWfor8x
12-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes Stafford released their schedule, the tour is there Aug 2nd. Now wasnt there some talk about the Whelen Modifieds running a dirt track sometime last year. And wasnt July a somewhat empty month last year for the Whelen Tour, and isnt Eldora running a Nascar truck race in July 24 th which was an empty weekend for the tour, and doesnt Tony Stewart and his team mate Ryan Newman on occasion been seen running a tour type modified. Hmm. Whelen tour at Eldora, you heard it here first. Now back to wearing a tin foil hat and drinking because thats how ideas like this are created.

You're right about the tin foil hat. I was wearing mine when I got the idea of building a dirt track road course on the old Grummon site in Calverton NY. Now that would make for an interesting modified race site.

Axel
12-01-2012, 02:30 PM
CSG- I once remember you reading tea leaves for the pick 5/6 contest, so to hear you are wearing a tin foil hat and drinking does not surprise me in the least.
-Axel

MJProcko
12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
2013 NASCAR WHELEN MODIFIED SCHEDULE by MJProcko

As the new Nascar Modified Director (sorry Chad, Trump will be calling you into his board room), I’ve made some reasonable changes to the format, rules and schedule.
1. Whelen will no longer be the primary sponsor of the WAAS and that money will be added to the WMS point fund.

2. The point fund will now cover the top 20 positions.

3. The Sprint Cup series will be cutting down to 40 starters eliminating 3 of the “start and parks”. Money will be added to each of the Modified race purses in the Sprint Cup Race Sponsors name giving them additional bang for their sponsorship dollar not only reaching their consumer on a national level but on a local level as well.
EX. The last race paid 62k for each of the S&Ps, 120k will now go to the purse, 20K to the point fund and 22K to cover Nascar costs.

4. The money added to the purses will be used to reduce the cost of the tracks holding the races. 50% of that money must go directly to cutting the event ticket price. Tracks will only have to cover the Nascar Sanction fee.

5. Nascar members holding a Nascar Weekly racing license will only have to pay an extra $100. The idea is to increase participation in both touring and weekly racing – the backbone of Nascar.

6. The new seat rule will be made optional, if the present seat is dangerous than racers need to file a class action suit against Nascar for allowing them to race it all this time… but we know it’s not. Unnecessary cost in a time of uncertain economic conditions is not the way to increase participation.

The schedule is broken down in 3 parts.
13 Northern - 12 Southern - 10 Combined
The national champ will be determined by taking the driver’s average N/S per race points x2 and adding it to their National point race total.

RACE DATE TRACK LAPS NOTES
1 C 19-Feb DAYTONA - SHORT TRACK 150 MAKE IT A POINTS RACE
2 C 22-Feb NEW SMYRNA - EVANS MEMORIAL 161 Not a NASCAR track but makes too much sense
3 C 16-Mar BRISTOL 150 BEFORE THE NNS
4 S 24-Mar CARAWAY 150
5 C 6-Apr MARTINSVILLE 150 BEFORE THE TRUCKS
6 N 14-Apr THOMPSON - ICE BREAKER 200
7 S 20-Apr CARAWAY 150
8 S 27-Apr SOUTHERN NATIONAL 150
9 N 28-Apr STAFFORD - SPRING SIZZLER 200
10 C 4-May SOUTH BOSTON 200 GREAT PLACE FOR A COMBO RACE
11 N 11-May MONADNOCK 200
12 S 17-May CHARLOTTE 150
13 N 23-May STAFFORD 150
14 C 16-Jun LOUDON - NEW ENGLAND OPEN 150 STAND ALONE EVENT W/ PASS. ACT & ISMA
15 N 29-Jun WATERFORD 161
16 S 5-Jul CARAWAY 150
17 S 14-Jul GREENVILLE PICKENS 150
18 N 13-Jul LOUDON 100
19 N 21-Jul RIVERHEAD 201
20 S 21-Jul HICKORY 150
21 N 1-Aug THOMPSON 150
22 S 3-Aug BOWMAN GRAY 200
23 N 9-Aug STAFFORD 150
24 C 21-Aug BRISTOL 150 NO BREAK
25 C 1-Sep THOMPSON 300 300 No dash, just tradition and serious cash
26 C 6-Sep RICHMOND 200 NO BREAK
27 N 15-Sep RIVERHEAD 201
28 S 16-Sep LANGLEY 150
29 N 21-Sep LOUDON 125
30 S 21-Sep MYRTLE BEACH 150
31 N 29-Sep STAFFORD FALL FINAL 200
32 S 28-Sep CARAWAY 150
33 S 10-Oct CHARLOTTE 150
34 N 13-Oct THOMPSON WORLD SERIES 150
35 C 25-Oct MARTINSVILLE 200

COMBO 10
NORTH 13
SOUTH 12

bud
12-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Now u my man are a race director with vision!

Rob29
12-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Your idea of stopping start and parks to benefit modified teams is ridiculous.

Why should the money go to the modified teams? And why should Sprint Cup sponsors pay for modified teams when they don't want to? If they wanted to sponsor a modified team, they would. They shouldn't basically be forced to. Ridiculous idea.

Besides that, I'm with you. Especially on bullet point 4 and the schedule. Love the schedule actually

limodmaniac
12-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Why were modifieds testing at Richmond?

worm
12-02-2012, 08:48 AM
was there more than 1 car there ?

bud
12-02-2012, 11:54 AM
What about the richmond tire test?

bud
12-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I heard 10 cars

MJProcko
12-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Your idea of stopping start and parks to benefit modified teams is ridiculous.

Why should the money go to the modified teams? And why should Sprint Cup sponsors pay for modified teams when they don't want to? If they wanted to sponsor a modified team, they would. They shouldn't basically be forced to. Ridiculous idea.

Besides that, I'm with you. Especially on bullet point 4 and the schedule. Love the schedule actually

Ridiculous maybe, especially to the suits at Nascar but look at it from a business stand point. You have Bank of America sponsoring the
Cup race at Charlotte next year. you remove the 3 start & parks and now you have:

1. Now BoA sponsors the WSMT race at Hickory Speedway at no cost to them just 45 minutes from their corporate HQ. The track can set up a hospitality tent and now not only do they have prescence nationally they have it locally.

2. nascar won't have to pay cars to show up to fill the field

3. Start & parkers can go back to racing for a living instead of qualifying for a living.

4. it puts Nascar back on track to connecting with the race fans theyforsaken for the lure of those now empty seats in California etc.

JMB
12-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Ridiculous maybe, especially to the suits at Nascar but look at it from a business stand point. You have Bank of America sponsoring the
Cup race at Charlotte next year. you remove the 3 start & parks and now you have:

1. Now BoA sponsors the WSMT race at Hickory Speedway at no cost to them just 45 minutes from their corporate HQ. The track can set up a hospitality tent and now not only do they have prescence nationally they have it locally.

3. Start & parkers can go back to racing for a living instead of qualifying for a living.

4. it puts Nascar back on track to connecting with the race fans theyforsaken for the lure of those now empty seats in California etc.

Just so many flaws in just 4 points.

Rob29
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM

But why, other than your love for the modifieds, should the money go to the modifieds? Maybe if you were to spread the money out among the lower levels like the Pro Series and the modifieds then I would be more understanding, but to give the money to just the modifieds for no apparent reason season ridiculous.

That said, I'm with you 100% on getting rid of start and park teams.

limodmaniac
12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Love of MODIFIEDS is enough reason for me!!!

MJProcko
12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
But why, other than your love for the modifieds, should the money go to the modifieds? Maybe if you were to spread the money out among the lower levels like the Pro Series and the modifieds then I would be more understanding, but to give the money to just the modifieds for no apparent reason season ridiculous.

That said, I'm with you 100% on getting rid of start and park teams.

I thought about that but according to Nascar the K&N series is in great shape - TV deal, big point fund and standing room only crowds!!!! Besides, I "took over" as nascar Mod tour director... K&N not my worry. Plus the mods are at the bottom of the pecking order, below the K&N E/W, Canadians, Mexicans, Europeons and whatever other country will pay to put their name on the Nascar website..... then they wouldn't get the idea to steal it. I'm sure there are a bevy of 13 y.o.s Moms and Dads all already blowing up Nascars phones with the idea for the K&N series.....lol.

JMB
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
The biggest reason it would not work is that BOA has the sponsorship deal with the track in Charlotte itself, not NASCAR. Bruton Smith owns Charlotte and is known to throw around threats and blame even at times when he is totally at fault in causing the problem. Now imagine what he would do if you legit took money that would normally be going to an event at his track and moved it to a track completely unrelated to him. Plus there is the issue with more or less forcing a sponsor into an event they really don't care about. You are better off finding a sponsor that really wants to be there.

bud
12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Thats where nascar pr comes in but they already too much for the tracks and fans.

Acadia
12-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Well, if the WMT mods were to have a symbiotic sponsorship with the Cup teams, it would be awesome. It would be great to see modifieds with paint for Pepsi, Lowes, Home Depot, Office Depot, Sprint, etc. There should be some encouragement or incentive for Cup teams to buddy with modified teams, which means of the $20-25 million Cup team plan, about $350k goes to the partner modified team.

Looks, like MRS has a pretty good schedule with Oxford Plains and Beech Ridge. Riverhead is not on the MRS schedule. Eight races at Thompson, Stafford and Waterford.

I'm looking forward to see what kind of schedule the WMT comes up with to compete with the MRS.

Axel
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Living in NJ, I don’t really see too many MRS races, but wish I could. They put out what looks to be a pretty good product. There schedule is more diverse and very representative. I believe the rules make it more cost effective.

I know they had some controversy this year, but you will always have it.

Rob29
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
I thought about that but according to Nascar the K&N series is in great shape - TV deal, big point fund and standing room only crowds!!!! Besides, I "took over" as nascar Mod tour director... K&N not my worry. Plus the mods are at the bottom of the pecking order, below the K&N E/W, Canadians, Mexicans, Europeons and whatever other country will pay to put their name on the Nascar website..... then they wouldn't get the idea to steal it. I'm sure there are a bevy of 13 y.o.s Moms and Dads all already blowing up Nascars phones with the idea for the K&N series.....lol.

Okay well here's my next question then: As director of the NWMT, why would you be dictating starting field size in Sprint Cup as well as where sponsor money is directed to?

The biggest reason it would not work is that BOA has the sponsorship deal with the track in Charlotte itself, not NASCAR. Bruton Smith owns Charlotte and is known to throw around threats and blame even at times when he is totally at fault in causing the problem. Now imagine what he would do if you legit took money that would normally be going to an event at his track and moved it to a track completely unrelated to him. Plus there is the issue with more or less forcing a sponsor into an event they really don't care about. You are better off finding a sponsor that really wants to be there.

This is my point.

Like I said, only that one idea was the one I took issue with and wanted to get more of an explanation from. Every other idea, especially the schedule, I did really like. The schedule looked great.

csg
12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
CSG- I once remember you reading tea leaves for the pick 5/6 contest, so to hear you are wearing a tin foil hat and drinking does not surprise me in the least.
-Axel

That tea leave stuff is for brewing, I believe I consulted a much more scientific instrument, the "magic" 8 ball for predicting the pick 6.

Shawn Courchesne's Race Day CT is reporting that Thompson speedway is expected to host the Whelen modified tour at least 3 times, Icebreaker weekend, World Series weekend, and August 15th(Thursday). Noticeably missing is that North South Shootout race in September. Couple that information, with the release of the MRS schedule which includes 3 Thompson dates you have at least 5 shows scheduled at Thompson. What is odd, is the MRS shows are all weekend shows, while the WMT Aug 15th is a Thursday show. Trying to get an indication as to what night they will run, if they do run a weekly program. We should get more information on Thompson's weekly program next weekend with their awards ceremony.

bud
12-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Too bad the mrs wont be at riverhead. I do know they did turn a few tracks down. Im sure riverhead wasnt one of them.
19 races is a very aggressive schedule with the economy the way it is. Must be a good feeling to be wanted even after
Someone was whining how awful it is. Be fun to see him promoting the kid in ARCA and acting like he did w the MRS.
Going to be very interesting to see the WMT schedule.

Acadia
12-05-2012, 08:25 AM
The absence of the North South Showdown at Thompson should not be a surprise. This event is at the end of the season when teams are cutting back, the southern race gets filled out with northern cars, and many of the regular "southern" drivers are from the north. So what's the point? This year's southern tour champion driver is from the north. So instead of calling it the North South Showdown, it should be the Mod Tour event with an "A Main", "B Main" and Main event.

The concept of these combo tour events is interesting, but the differences between the strength of the competition between the two is so great. Look at the results of the Bristol combo event... dominated by Northern cars. So it should not be a surprise to see the N-S Showdown at Thompson go away.

Replace the N-S Showdown at Thompson with the Thompson 300. :applause:

BigMac
12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
For clarification, the North/South Shootout is an event held in North Carolina each November. The event at Thompson was/is the UNOH Showdown.

uticamike
12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
For clarification, the North/South Shootout is an event held in North Carolina each November. The event at Thompson was/is the UNOH Showdown.

Mac, Acadia does not like being corrected. Your playing with fire.

Acadia
12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
BigMac, thanks for pointing that out. The way/when Shootout, Showdown, North/South, here, there, etc. gets used as if synonymous.

Mac, Acadia does not like being corrected. Your playing with fire.

Make that, "You are playing with fire", or "You're playing with fire".

:wave:

Acadia
12-05-2012, 11:31 PM
The MRS really made a statement with that schedule. With nineteen races at good venues, they will have much greater mind-share with the fans unless the NWMT comes up with a schedule with at least as many events.

JWfor8x
12-07-2012, 12:41 AM
The absence of the North South Showdown at Thompson should not be a surprise. This event is at the end of the season when teams are cutting back, the southern race gets filled out with northern cars, and many of the regular "southern" drivers are from the north. So what's the point? This year's southern tour champion driver is from the north. So instead of calling it the North South Showdown, it should be the Mod Tour event with an "A Main", "B Main" and Main event.

The concept of these combo tour events is interesting, but the differences between the strength of the competition between the two is so great. Look at the results of the Bristol combo event... dominated by Northern cars. So it should not be a surprise to see the N-S Showdown at Thompson go away.

Replace the N-S Showdown at Thompson with the Thompson 300. :applause:

One small point, Acadia. This years southern tour champion, George Brunnhoelzl lll was originally from Long Island. He started racing modifieds at Riverhead when he was 16. When his father, George Brunnhoelzl Jr. moved to North Carlolina for his business, George lll stayed on Long Island to finish high school. He then moved to North Carlolina. He has lived there for a few years now. I do agree with you about the Thompson 300. I would love to see it return, but I'm not holding my breath.

Acadia
12-07-2012, 08:27 AM
JWfor8X, thanks, but I was going by a bio for GBIII that says he's from West Babylon, NY, as in still living there. Even if he presently lives in NC, he's still a transplant, a ringer from the north, not an original, genuine, bona fide southerner. Brunnhoelzl is an iconic name from the north. It seems like it was forever that there was a George Brunnhoelzl racing on Long Island. If you are familiar with northern racing, the very name will always be associated with the north and Long Island. I can't think of Islip without thinking of the Brunnhoelzl name.

Howie
12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
As was rumored on TCH somewhere earlier I am now hearing that it has been officially announced that Riverhead Raceway will have 2 WMT races next year. Sat. June 29th and Sat. Sept. 14th.

limodmaniac
12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Reserve your laps now!

20 per lap ( 10 goes to June race, and 10 to Sept. race)

$300 to sponsor a car for the night!!

Rob29
12-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Two races at Riverhead? I'm in. Awesome news in my opinion.

Acadia
12-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Thompson loses an event, Riverhead gets two, and there is no longer a N/S Shootout.

No surprise that the N/S Shootout is over, it never really materialized.

Do not like seeing races taken away from Thompson. Thompson is probably the best track for a modified.

limodmaniac
12-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Maybe Thompson will have some more open Modified shows!

Racer1_NC
12-08-2012, 01:59 PM
JWfor8X, thanks, but I was going by a bio for GBIII that says he's from West Babylon, NY, as in still living there. Even if he presently lives in NC, he's still a transplant, a ringer from the north, not an original, genuine, bona fide southerner. Brunnhoelzl is an iconic name from the north. It seems like it was forever that there was a George Brunnhoelzl racing on Long Island. If you are familiar with northern racing, the very name will always be associated with the north and Long Island. I can't think of Islip without thinking of the Brunnhoelzl name.

Do you just make stuff up and then believe it because it sounds good? The man lives in NC....works in NC.....has a family in NC....he's a REGULAR on the Southern Tour but yet he's a ringer from the north? Are we to assume that you would organize a race by dividing up the competitors by the place of birth listed on their birth certificate? Yes...that name is associated with LI racing.....times change...people move...put down new roots....get over it.

The man wins...you want to claim him.....so claim L.W. Miller too. What's that? We can have him? Works both ways.......

Acadia
12-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Racer1_NC, his current online bio says he lives in West Babylon, NY. I'm not claiming anyone, I'm just going by what is published in a current bio. I'm not going to put much effort into investigating and confirming things like where someone lives or works, so I'll believe what is out there unless proven otherwise. I have no interest in investigating beyond what is published, usually. Thanks for clearing that up.

Acadia
12-08-2012, 02:37 PM

That is brilliant!!!

NWMT PR
12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Racer1_NC, his current online bio says he lives in West Babylon, NY. I'm not claiming anyone, I'm just going by what is published in a current bio. I'm not going to put much effort into investigating and confirming things like where someone lives or works, so I'll believe what is out there unless proven otherwise. I have no interest in investigating beyond what is published, usually. Thanks for clearing that up.

The difference here is terminology. We list drivers by their hometown, not by where they reside. GB3's hometown is West Babylon, but he resides in North Carolina. We believe it is more important and accurate to list where the driver is from. For example, if we listed Montoya as from North Carolia (where he resides) it would look silly because everyone knows he's from Columbia.

JMB
12-10-2012, 07:43 PM
In the late 80's through early 90's the newspaper results for Cup races would list the drivers' current residence and it looked totally ridiculous. It was totally dumb to make it look like Dick Trickle was from Iron Station, North Carolina. Another funny instance was when Maine driver Pete Silva moved to NC in Late 70's or early 80's and started winning tons of Late Model Sportsman races. He was listed in the program and announced as being from NC. When some New England fans went to a race and told a few Hickory regulars where he was from the locals got pretty agitated and thought it was a lie he did not come from NC.

Acadia
12-10-2012, 07:58 PM

I do hope you are right. Thompson is a great track to run a series of open shows.

BigMac
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Umm, they went down the open show road in 2011. They couldn't get any cars.

limodmaniac
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
How many laps are the 2 races at Riverhead?

Acadia
12-19-2012, 03:26 PM
What are the formats for the Riverhead races?

Acadia
12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Umm, they went down the open show road in 2011. They couldn't get any cars.

Times change. It looks like Tour regulars were/are looking for some place else to run.

limodmaniac
12-19-2012, 03:50 PM
According to Riverhead Raceway schedule , it unfortunately says 2 Flash Races at Riverhead, both 200 laps ( I"m guessing, they aren't planning on enough cars to run the heat race!)

JWfor8x
12-19-2012, 04:54 PM
According to Riverhead Raceway schedule , it unfortunately says 2 Flash Races at Riverhead, both 200 laps ( I"m guessing, they aren't planning on enough cars to run the heat race!)

You're right, Jim it is unfortunate that they are both flash races, not really surprising, but unfortunate.

BigMac
12-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Times change. It looks like Tour regulars were/are looking for some place else to run.

Maybe but I know Star had to work/politic really hard to get the 25 plus cars they got for last years open event. The Seekonk Open isn't quite what it was in terms of car totals. I don't think there are as many cars as you think looking for open events. The problem with running an open show at Thompson is the lack of oversight. The inmates run the asylum which is what chased a lot of weekly cars away. Too much torn up equipment. Mahoning Valley seems to have found a successful recipe for good weekly action with the occasional special show. Its hard for a track to run an open show that doesn't include their weekly drivers. You have to take care($$$) of those that support your weekly program first. Seekonk is a little different in that regard because they don't run mods weekly so it works for them.

worm
12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
i bet hirchman made more money running open shows than cobys championship team overall,and NO sfi sh t to boot! on open shows

Acadia
12-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Any chance that a schedule gets amended? As in, can I still hope that Oxford Plains might be added for the 2013 season?

bud
12-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Lol no. Gotta come to an vmrs event to see mods at oxford!