PDA

View Full Version : 10/27/12 - Matt Hirschman, Earl Paules and TJ Gursky claim big wins in Mahoning

RGeeProductions
10-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Matt Hirschman, Earl Paules and TJ Gursky claim big wins in Mahoning Valley Speedway Octoberfast 2012

It was the biggest payday and longest race distance for the Modifieds, Late Models and Street Stocks ever at Mahoning Valley Speedway and race teams responded to the cash and laps offerings with a very impressive field in the highly touted “Octoberfast 2012, Fright Night in the Valley.

When all was said and done, Matt Hirschman proved once again why he is the undisputed king of extra distance races at the paved quarter mile oval as the Northampton ace drove his J & J Motorsports No. 59 to a decisive $5000 victory in the 130 lap feature, Earl Paules of Palmerton won his 10th Late Model race of the season and TJ Gursky, also from Palmerton, took top honors in the 100 lap Street Stock feature and it was all in front a full grandstand.

The Octoberfast 2012 goes down as one of the most successful days in track history and brings to a close the first year of promoting under Floyd Santee. The racing was the track’s season finale and was part of a close to $50,000 purse. It drew 34 Modifieds, 20 Late Models and 31 Street Stocks from throughout Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

“We wouldn’t be here tonight if it hadn’t been for (promoter) Floyd Santee and his family. They stepped up to the plate and did something here that no one else had ever done before. This means that we’ll come back again next year. We have to keep this event going. They did an excellent job with the fans and the racers,” said Hirschman.

An all-star 24 car field began the Modified main. Hirschman, in the J & J Motorsports No. 59, became the sixth and final leader when he assumed the top spot under a lap 59 caution. He then drove the rest of the way with little resistance for his track leading seventh 100-plus lap feature win at Mahoning Valley.

“This was unbelievable. To race in front of this size of a crowd in late October, it’s my favorite time of year,” said Hirschman.

Some crafty pit strategy early on played nicely into his hands too. Under the race’s first yellow on lap 34, Hirschman gave up his fifth place running spot to duck in for a left rear tire. He came back out ninth and patiently held steady after reaching sixth place.

Then on lap 59 leader Lou Strohl spun and brought out a caution. Much to Hirschman’s benefit all five cars ahead of him made pit stops which then moved him to the front of the pack.

At Mahoning Valley it’s rare to see Hirschman passed once he takes the lead and this time was no different as the rest of the way was near effortless.

“It worked out to be a masterpiece of perfection. I couldn’t have asked for it to go any better than that. I’m a big believer in momentum and when you got that behind you and you’re not doubting yourself and your car and your team in the pits, it almost comes easy,” he said.
A redraw after heats saw newly crowned track champion Paules snag the pole with New York star Chuck Hossfeld alongside.

At the drop of the green Paules took to the early lead with Hossfeld closely alongside him. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour standout Ryan Preece, 2011 Mahoning champ Tyler Haydt and Hirschman made up the top five.

Hossfeld, who was making his first appearance at Mahoning Valley, was giving Paules a handful to deal with, attacking from both the high and low lanes. On lap seven he drove to the inside and took control of the lead.

Haydt had worked to third and was now running two-wide with Paules while they each went nip-and-tuck with Hossfeld.

Utilizing his home track advantage and keen ability of running the high groove, Paules was able to shake free of Haydt and continued towards Hossfeld, retaking the lead on lap 22. Likewise Haydt also followed Paules as did Preece.

The rapid paced action was halted for the first time on lap 34 when Jimmy Zacharias made contact with Tony Hirschman in turn three and put an end to both them.

Under the yellow a handful of cars went pit-side including M. Hirschman. Upon returning he would be shown in 10th. Paules was still out front with Haydt followed by Nevin George, Eric Beers Roger Coss.

When the race got back underway Paules got very defensive as Haydt and George were attacking from either side of him. George, who was on the inside, made a thrusting surge coming through turn four on lap 37 and entered into the lead.

Hard charging Coss was starting to make his presence felt by this time as well. He and Paules began going back and forth for second. Also on the move was Strohl in the Matt Higgins owned No. 88.

After a lap 45 restart, Strohl was third behind George and Coss and within two laps of going back green he powered his way past both. Things were looking good for the all-time Modified wins leader as he was chasing after his first in three years.

George was keeping right on his tail but Strohl was not showing signs of uneasiness. The leaders then came upon lapped traffic by lap 58. Just ahead of them was Matt Wentz. On lap 59 as they came off of turn one, Strohl and George, while running to the inside of Wentz, just cleared him but as they were heading into turn two, George tapped the back of Strohl and the leader went into a spin.

With the caution now out George along with third, fourth and fifth runners Paules, Haydt and Beers, all made pit stops. That elevated Hirschman to the top. Bobby Jones was now second with Chip Santee, Hossfeld and John Bennett making up the top five.

Once the action got back underway Hirschman would remain in charge. Even with a few more cautions that allowed others to challenge, he would have nothing to do with it. He was even passing cars on the final few laps despite his comfortable lead.

“I had a great car. I felt comfortable and ran that pace. The lapped cars worked with me and it was a perfect day,” said Hirschman who drove away to a five car length margin of victory.

“You slack off a little bit and leave the door open and somebody’s filling it. We’re racing for five grand here today and you don’t give someone an opportunity if you don’t have to.

With 32 laps to go Coss progressed to second and similar to Hirschman would not be challenged the rest of the way.

“It was a good run. I was trying real hard but he was a little better than me. I finished second to the best in the business, there’s no question about it,” said Coss who pocketed $3000.

“It’s a good payday. One spot higher would be a lot nicer but we’ll take second in this case.”

Beers, who like Hirschman always comes into the extra distance races as a favorite, fought hard to come home third. His efforts netted him $2000. Zane Zeiner came from 17th to fourth with Paules rounding out the top five. They cleared $1600 and $1200 respectively.

There were four heats which were won by Tony Hirschman, Don Wagner, Beers and Kevin Rex, Jr. Zeiner and Bennett won the consolation races.
A B-main for non-qualified cars was held and in the non-stop 25-lapper James Pritchard, Jr., of Roxberry, NJ led every lap and won for the first time in a Modfied. The race was worth $1000. It was his first win since a Factory Stock victory back in 2006.

(continued)

RGeeProductions
10-28-2012, 11:48 PM
In the Late Model 75-lapper it was a race long barnburner amongst the last three seasons track champions as Paules, Austin Kochenash and Paul Koehler, Jr., took up the top three spots over the second half of the race.

Mike Sweeney, 2012 point’s runner-up, came from third to first on lap one and had Geno Steigerwalt and Koehler in close pursuit. Koehler would take over second on lap five and began a hot battle with Sweeney.

In near side-by-side formation, they raced with intensity with Sweeny just barely holding off each passing lap advance of Koehler.

On a lap 24 restart, Koehler suddenly lost the handle and went into a spin. Paules, second at the time, now assumed the runner up spot and when the race eventually resumed he hounded Sweeney for the next few laps, finally getting by him on lap 29.

Kochenash followed suit and from there on it became a crowd pleasing dogfight to the finish. Each and every lap saw Kochenash make repeated tried to get underneath the new champ and each time those tries were denied.

You couldn’t have asked for a better way to close out the season as it was nothing short of good hard clean racing, one very exciting feature indeed. Right down to the last lap Kochenash went after Paules while Koehler watched from nearby third, just waiting for a miscue on their part to seize the lead.

“Every time I looked out my window he (Kochenash) was alongside me but we hung on and this was a great way to end our season,” said Paules.

“He’s good and ran me clean. He could have taken me out. It was a tough battle out there that was for sure. I really had to protect the bottom and he still snuck underneath there a few times but he gave ne room.

This marked his 10th win of the season which ties a division record for most wins in a single season with Tyler Haydt.

“It was a good race and not much contact, we were pretty evenly matched. We had a lot of fun out there and I’m sure the fans really enjoyed that,” said Kochenash. “The car stuck real good to the inside and I think we need just a couple more laps. All in all it was a good race overall.”

Frankie Althouse had to fight from the back of the pack several times and came home fourth with Steigerwalt rounding out the top five.
Heat wins went to Zane Zeiner, Travis Fisher and Kochenash.

The Street Stock race was contested over a distance of 100 laps and after a redraw from the top heat race finisher, Gursky and point’s runner-up Josh Mooney had the top two starting spots.

Although it was a stellar field with 31 cars attempting to make the 24-car starting grid, Gursky was far and away the best of the bunch. Once the green flag waved he had some early matching up from Mooney but over the final 50 laps there was no denying his strong efforts.

By the time the race was checkered Gursky had built a soild 2.242-second margin over second place finisher Joe Steigerwalt. Todd Ahner, Randy Ahner, Jr., and Eric Danyluk completed the front five.

“This is the biggest win for me, especially here at Mahoning. It’s been a goal of ours to always win a race of this distance,” said Gursky.
“Early on the car was a little loose and I fought (Josh) Mooney behind me. But we just held our ground and I really didn’t realize we were that far out front by the end. To win a second straight championship and now this, this is awesome.”

Street heat winners were Steigerwalt, Todd Ahner, Jillian Long and Dale Santee. The split consi’s went to Danyluk and Joe Mooney.

Modified Feature Finish, 100 Laps: 1. Matt Hirschman, 2. Roger Coss, 3. Eric Beers, 4. Zane Zeiner, 5. Earl Paules, 6. Chip Santee, 7. John Bennett, 8. John Markovic, 9. Nevin George, 10. Todd Baer, 11. Tyler Haydt, 12. Bobby Jones, 13. Chuck Hossfeld, 14. Don Wagner, 15. Lou Strohl, 16. Anthony Sesely, 17. Rick Kirkendall, 18. Matt Wentz, 19. Kevin Rex, Jr., 20. Brian DeFebo, 21. Scott Adams, 22. Ryan Preece, 23. Tony Hirschman, 24. Jimmy Zacharias
Did not qualify:

Modified B-Main, 25 Laps: 1. James Pritchard, Jr. 2. Tom Flanagan, 3. Shaun Carrig, 4. Troy Bollinger, 5. TJ Zacharias, 6. Matt Clemens Did not start: Tommy Farrell, Bobby Drown, Terry Markovic, Ron Frees

Late Model Feature Finish, 75 Laps: 1. Earl Paules, 2. Austin Kochenash, 3. Paul Koehler, Jr., 4. Frankie Althouse, 5. Geno Steigerwalt, 6. Travis Fisher, 7. Mike Sweeney, 8. Aleia Geisler, 9. George Ramos, 10. Barry Kutz, 11. Rick Wallace, 12. Zane Zeiner, 13. Craig Weinstein, 14. Dave Wallace, 15. Paul Effrig, 16. Billy Swartz, 17. Stone Phillips, 18. Dave Imler, 19. Casey Creyer Did not start: Mike Stringer

Street Stock Feature Finish, 100 Laps: 1. TJ Gursky, 2. Joe Steigerwalt, 3. Todd Ahner, 4. Randy Ahner, Jr., 5. Eric Danyluk, 6. Jason Kuhn, 7. Joe Mooney, 8. Matt May, 9. Jillian Long, 10. Zach Graver, 11. Josh Mooney, 12. Joe Roberts, 13. Gene Bowers, 14. Chip Wanamaker, 15. Nick Baer, 16. Stacey Brown, 17. Lonnie Behler, 18. Chris May, 19. Mark Rogers, 20. Jason Beers, 21. Dale Santee, 22. Joe Stamm. 23. Bob Kibler, Sr., 24. Steve Hoffman
Did not qualify: Shawn Sitarchyk, Chris Parry, Chris Turbush, Austin Santee, Randy Schlenker, Mike Garris, Jr., Cody Roth, Ray Minieri

Dino Oberto