PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead Speedway

Acadia
12-21-2012, 11:06 AM
What holds for the future of Riverhead Raceway, say beyond this season?

Do the Cromarty's have any kids, grandkids, or other blood that is willing to continue to run the speedway?

If this is a farewell season for Riverhead Speedway, we better make the best of it.

Rob29
12-21-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't think anybody should dignify this with a response, but first of all, it's Riverhead Raceway, not Speedway.

Secondly, where do get the idea that this is a farewell season?

Acadia
12-21-2012, 01:47 PM
If you noticed, I used both Raceway and Speedway. I tend to use them synonymously.

I love when people respond by saying something shouldn't be dignified with a response. Kinda shoot their feet off to begin with, and then go on to continue to respond to what they said shouldn't be dignified with a response. Blasting themselves off at the knees now.

The Cromarty's have been at it for 30 years now, a long time. They weren't young kids when they bought Riverhead RACEWAY.

If there aren't Cromarty heirs to run Riverhead RACEWAY, then I would think that there are permitting and land use issues that would not allow Riverhead RACEWAY to continue without a Cromarty or Cromarty heir running it.

Riverhead is genuine old school, nothing like it. Don't think it will always be there. Make the best of it while it is still here.

I don't think anybody should dignify this with a response, but first of all, it's Riverhead Raceway, not Speedway.

Secondly, where do get the idea that this is a farewell season?

Rob29
12-21-2012, 05:25 PM
I get that they're up there in age. My question is why you brought up that this may be a farewell season for the track. That's what I want to know. Why, other than their age, do you have reason to believe this is Riverhead's farewell year?

WEEZER
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
The Cromarty's were just named Riverhead town's Business people of the year and their siblings have been involved with the track for as long as I can remember which has been as long as the rumors of the track closing yet racing every year.

Hey Acadia, why did the guy who maintained the schniedrs cas leave and will those 2 mods every see Riverhead???

JWfor8x
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
The Cromarty's were just named Riverhead town's Business people of the year and their siblings have been involved with the track for as long as I can remember which has been as long as the rumors of the track closing yet racing every year.

Hey Acadia, why did the guy who maintained the schniedrs cas leave and will those 2 mods every see Riverhead???

Speaking of those rumors, didn't the Cromarties turn down about a million bucks an acre for the property a couple of years ago? I think it's around 20 acres and if that was true, it doesn't sound like a family that wants the place to close any time soon.

Rob29
12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Speaking of those rumors, didn't the Cromarties turn down about a million bucks an acre for the property a couple of years ago? I think it's around 20 acres and if that was true, it doesn't sound like a family that wants the place to close any time soon.

Not sure on the numbers, but yes. They have said that they won't sell to anyone if they have any doubt that the buyers will close the track.

bud
12-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Id take the money and start a team

jaFor
12-30-2012, 11:18 PM
I get that they're up there in age. My question is why you brought up that this may be a farewell season for the track. That's what I want to know. Why, other than their age, do you have reason to believe this is Riverhead's farewell year?

Since Acadia asks a LOT of questions and seldom ever makes even a half hearted attempt to answer the questions made of him I'll give my take on why he brought it up... He just likes to see his name in print.

He's a F___ing egomaniac. Why you people respond to him beats the hell out of me! If you'd all just ignore him there would be a slight chance he'd get bored having to answer his own questions and would finally disappear.

To Rich... I know all about freedom of speech but isn't there some way to cut this guy Acadia off? I mean, he is single handedly ruining this site!

Acadia
12-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Look what happened to Freeport, Islip and Bridgehampton.

The areas around the tracks developed, which escalated the real estate values, and the tracks closed. The way the real estate values escalated, the tracks could not be sold for the value of the property, then continue to be operated as a track with the revenue stream the track operations can produce and expect the track to be able to pay for itself in a reasonable time. Who would fork over 20-25 million dollars for Riverhead? Do you have any idea what the track operating revenue stream would have to be to pay that amount off in a reasonable time, while paying operating expenses, principal & interest, and let's not forget decent purses? Do you really think that the track produces that kind of revenue stream?

Freeport, Islip and Bridgehampton all happened.

It's like farms today and why development rights are being sold off to protect the land from development. There is no way a farmer could buy a farm for the mega-millions land is valued at for development and then operate the land as a farm and expect the farm to pay for itself, so the building rights are sold and the land is then to remain farmland, although it is worth many times more as developable real estate land. And Long Island was farmland, farms that are now gone.

Let's make it even simpler. Consider a hot dog cart. The hot dog cart is capable of netting $750/week. What is a reasonable up front investment price to pay for a turn-key hot dog cart? Perhaps a couple thousand dollars, let's say $5,000. Would you pay 20-25 million dollars for a hot dog cart?

It is extremely unlikely that Riverhead can be sold for the value of the property and stipulate or even hope that the track would continue to operate. Unless a billionaire buys it for personal entertainment.

If you are a fan of Riverhead, go as often as you can.

jaFor, since you know all about freedom of speech, teach us about it.

Since Acadia asks a LOT of questions and seldom ever makes even a half hearted attempt to answer the questions made of him I'll give my take on why he brought it up... He just likes to see his name in print.

He's a F___ing egomaniac. Why you people respond to him beats the hell out of me! If you'd all just ignore him there would be a slight chance he'd get bored having to answer his own questions and would finally disappear.

To Rich... I know all about freedom of speech but isn't there some way to cut this guy Acadia off? I mean, he is single handedly ruining this site!

Acadia
12-31-2012, 08:09 AM
LOL!!!!

Happy New Year!

Id take the money and start a team

Acadia
12-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Read this about Bridgehampton: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgehampton_Race_Circuit#Decline_and_demise

JWfor8x
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Read this about Bridgehampton: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgehampton_Race_Circuit#Decline_and_demise

I attended many races at Bridgehampton, including three of the four Grand National races. I am very familiar with the track. I went to one of the last races there and was listening to the track owner speaking of his great plans for the place. He was going to get big time professional racing to return there, along with television. He said that he needed to update the track for safety reasons though to get that to happen. I was sitting on a sand dune behind at the first turn after the front straight when he was talking. The place was a 2.85 mile track. there was exactly one broken down bleacher by the start/finish line and one portapotty for spectators. the paths around the track were all sand and there were a couple of trees for shade. To realize his grand plans for the place would have cost a fortune. I knew then and there that the place would close. It was a sad day for me, because in the 1960's it was a world class facility.

RGeeProductions
12-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Acadia... you now have one more to go then - bye bye.....

And to both of you on freedom of speech:
You both really need to read the "First Amendment".
This is a private forum. That amendment does not pertain here as you must register to use it and it is not public.
WE are your First Amendment here and I left A LOT going only hoping that those involved would straighten it out themselves.
In all the years the TCH forum has been here, I have never had to "babysit" this forum as I have in the last year and a half.
I have had it and will no longer tolerate any more of it.

cornellsgt12
01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Thank goodness for that. I have been a subscriber to this forum for years and Acdias' rants have certainly turned the forum into something the originator wouldn't have put up with.

Thanks Richie

spotter27
01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Thank You Richie,acadia needs to get is own Hot Dog cart and go away

mod35
01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
AMEN RICHIE I used to come here everyday now i look once every 2 weeks

fastbackss
01-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Since this thread has devolved from its original intent anyway...how many cars do you think the Speedway could store in its parking lot?

Too bad they didn't get in on this!
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/airport-runways-become-parking-lots-cars-damaged-sandy-181855235.html

RGeeProductions
01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Riverhead Raceway WAS asked if they were interested in storing cars and the Cromarty's declined.
I don't blame them. Look at all the press the holding lots are getting from environmentalists....

JWfor8x
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Riverhead Raceway WAS asked if they were interested in storing cars and the Cromarty's declined.
I don't blame them. Look at all the press the holding lots are getting from environmentalists....

I don't blame them either. It's not only the environmenalists. How would they run their track if those cars were still there in April and May?