PDA

View Full Version : HUGE NEWS!!!!!!!!!! New Smyrna & Orlando now under Nascar Sanction!!!!!

MJProcko
01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
http://hometracks.nascar.com/nwaas_release_011813_NASCAR_Sanctions_New-Smyrna_Orlando

Now lets move the bash at the beach 15 minutes down the road and see the modifieds they way they were meant to be!!!!!!

scott
01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
This is really great. A question though, will this effect the World Series Mod races. They race how many races that week up to the Richie Evans 100 on Friday. Will those races all be points races or just the Richie Evans 100 be a points race or none of the above?

Revscott
01-18-2013, 09:05 PM
None of the above. Those are not whelen Modified tour races but open shows for any modified who wants to show up.

BigMac
01-19-2013, 08:33 AM
On the surface, this is a non story. A track 1500 miles south of CT is now sanctioned. Nascar adds tracks every year and it never gets a mention on here. You drive by 30 Nascar tracks just getting to New Smyrna. The fact that the story is posted on the front page makes me wonder if something is brewing for 2014 though. I'd bet a coffee the K&N series makes an appearance in 2014. It will be interesting to see if this has any effect for the WMT. The regional and touring series director doesn't show up at many Nascar track sanction announcements so something is up.

Will teams need a Nascar All American license to run the World Series now?

mikel 3
01-19-2013, 09:07 AM
I was there about 6 years ago not really impressed at all.THe ambulance was a early eightys version the medical team wasn,t even an emt never mind a paramedic like any other track that the tour goes to.The fence on the back strech was nothing but a net like you see at the batting cage held in place with zip ties.There has to be many improvments to that place as far as safety goes thats for sure.There are many venues that are much closer and far better that the tour could find thats for sure.Big deal not really not impressed at all.

RGeeProductions
01-19-2013, 09:37 PM
On the surface, this is a non story. A track 1500 miles south of CT is now sanctioned. Nascar adds tracks every year and it never gets a mention on here. You drive by 30 Nascar tracks just getting to New Smyrna. The fact that the story is posted on the front page makes me wonder if something is brewing for 2014 though. I'd bet a coffee the K&N series makes an appearance in 2014. It will be interesting to see if this has any effect for the WMT. The regional and touring series director doesn't show up at many Nascar track sanction announcements so something is up.

I only posted this on the front page because:
1. Tour type mods go to New Smyrna every year
2. There had been a bit of a buzz about this so I wanted the full story posted.
Nothing more, nothing less.

holleratme
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Just a good place to go in February not even close to any standards of tech building. Or any safety equipment

Rob29
01-20-2013, 08:49 PM
What is with Orlando's website? It seems like they basically ignore the oval completely and only care about the drag strip.

DaFingz
01-21-2013, 08:20 AM
What is with Orlando's website? It seems like they basically ignore the oval completely and only care about the drag strip.

http://orlandospeedworld.org/

Their site is really not much different than New Smyrna's.

MJProcko
01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I think it is big news because it's an opportunity for a combo race near daytona on a quality race track that doesn't have sewer grates in the middle of the straightaway..... the Richie Evans Memorial 161 is on the last Friday of Speedweeks is that much closer to reality.

csg
01-21-2013, 05:24 PM

I read a release on speed51 regarding the Nascar sanctioning of New Smyrna and Orlando. From what I gather you will need to buy a 25 dollar Nascar license to run the World Series at New Smyrna, it is good for the entire week or 10 days. I do not know if you already have a license to run the tour or up North (Nascar weekly track) if you will be required to purchase this additional license. The super lates will be the division running for points so I dont think Modified drivers competing for a National championship will get any points towards the Nascar championship. I am curious if this move will mandate Nascar rules for the modifieds in the future which could alienate some cars. Like many have hinted, I originally thought the same thing that this move may be a precursor to bringing a Nascar Modified tour race to New Smyrna during speedweeks.

I think the move can help the Super Late Model car count significantly, some drivers thinking about running for the Nascar championship could run the world series to get a jump start on chasing points. I think you can get 8 or 9 Nascar Point races if you run the entire world series in a Super Late Model. The Super Late Model is one of the more popular premier divisions running for Nascar Championship points across the country there are a lot of cars to pull from.

RBH
01-21-2013, 08:04 PM
I think the National point seasons are mid March to mid September but that could change next year to benefit the races there. I could be wrong, I have not looked at the latest rules, so don't take this as an absolute.

Rob29
01-22-2013, 02:10 AM
http://orlandospeedworld.org/

Their site is really not much different than New Smyrna's.

Thank you. Every time I googled it just the dragstrip's site came up.

DaFingz
01-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I think the National point seasons are mid March to mid September but that could change next year to benefit the races there. I could be wrong, I have not looked at the latest rules, so don't take this as an absolute.

RBH I think you're right on that.

CSG, If you have a valid NASCAR licsense you are good to compete at the Smyrna World Series. If you do not have NASCAR liscensing you will have to get the temp liscense. The only NASCAR points that will be accumulated at NSS World Series will be for the Division 1 Super Late Models toward the NASCAR Florida State Championship, nothing toward National Points.

Groundpounder
01-22-2013, 11:04 AM

The other point that makes this newsworthy is that it has been a minor source of embarrassment for decades that Nascar had no weekly series sanctioned tracks in their "home state". That is finally rectified.

csg
01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
RBH I think you're right on that.

CSG, If you have a valid NASCAR licsense you are good to compete at the Smyrna World Series. If you do not have NASCAR liscensing you will have to get the temp liscense. The only NASCAR points that will be accumulated at NSS World Series will be for the Division 1 Super Late Models toward the NASCAR Florida State Championship, nothing toward National Points.

thanks, good information.

NWMT PR
01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Just to confirm a couple points that I believe are already listed here.

1. Super Late Models are the NWAAS Division I at both tracks. So if Preece or Christopher wanted to earn DI points while they were down there, they'd have to run an SLM. However, a guy like Pitkat could collect some valuable second division points for the Finalist program by running a Modified at New Smyrna.

2. Points earned during New Smyrna Speedweeks WILL COUNT towards NWAAS national points. So if a Preece or Christopher or Pitkat were to run some SLM races down there, that would count toward the national points chase in 2013.

3. The 10-day NWAAS license is $25. That is what a team would need to purchase if they were going to run New Smyrna, but not any NASCAR-sanctioned events the rest of the year. A NWMT team that gets their 2013 season license in Daytona for the Battle At The Beach would not have to buy an additional license for New Smyrna, and same for a NWAAS team.

DaFingz
01-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Just to confirm a couple points that I believe are already listed here.

1. Super Late Models are the NWAAS Division I at both tracks. So if Preece or Christopher wanted to earn DI points while they were down there, they'd have to run an SLM. However, a guy like Pitkat could collect some valuable second division points for the Finalist program by running a Modified at New Smyrna.

2. Points earned during New Smyrna Speedweeks WILL COUNT towards NWAAS national points. So if a Preece or Christopher or Pitkat were to run some SLM races down there, that would count toward the national points chase in 2013.

3. The 10-day NWAAS license is $25. That is what a team would need to purchase if they were going to run New Smyrna, but not any NASCAR-sanctioned events the rest of the year. A NWMT team that gets their 2013 season license in Daytona for the Battle At The Beach would not have to buy an additional license for New Smyrna, and same for a NWAAS team.

Thanks for clarifying, my bad on posting misinformation about the Nat'l points.

That makes for a pretty long NWAAS point earning window for the Florida drivers, it would seem that would give those regional drivers a lot more races to accumulate national points. Unless of course NSS and Orlando decide to run SLM bi-weekly on alternating weekends. It is good for the weekly comeptitors at New Smyrna to be able to gain full field points during the World Series as car counts are pretty dismal for weekly shows.

What dates do the NWAAS national points season run through this year?

BigMac
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
The 10 day license for teams that want to run New Smyrna is a fantastic idea. Nascar should implement a discounted license for modified teams that want to run 3 or less WMT events.

NWMT PR
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks for clarifying, my bad on posting misinformation about the Nat'l points.

That makes for a pretty long NWAAS point earning window for the Florida drivers, it would seem that would give those regional drivers a lot more races to accumulate national points. Unless of course NSS and Orlando decide to run SLM bi-weekly on alternating weekends. It is good for the weekly comeptitors at New Smyrna to be able to gain full field points during the World Series as car counts are pretty dismal for weekly shows.

What dates do the NWAAS national points season run through this year?

Regardless of whether the Florida tracks are able to run races earlier in the year, drivers will still only be able to count their 18 best race finishes toward their final points. Like Rocco ... he runs 40-50 NWAAS races a year, but he can only put his 18 best finishes toward national points.

MJProcko
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
@ NWMT PR

3 questions.

1)What are the chances of moving the Bash down the road to the more suitable venue New Smyrna now that it is under the Nascar Banner?

2) What are the plans to deal with the drainage catch basins in the middle of the straight?

3) How did Five Flags Speedway get a K&N race not being Nascar sanctioned?

MJProcko
01-27-2013, 02:31 PM
The 10 day license for teams that want to run New Smyrna is a fantastic idea. Nascar should implement a discounted license for modified teams that want to run 3 or less WMT events.

As well as a heavily reduced license for those already holding a Nascar license in the weekly racing.

CuriousGeorge
01-27-2013, 02:54 PM
@ NWMT PR

3 questions.

1)What are the chances of moving the Bash down the road to the more suitable venue New Smyrna now that it is under the Nascar Banner?

2) What are the plans to deal with the drainage catch basins in the middle of the straight?

Im not NASCAR PR, but...

1. 100% next yr
2. No plans
3. Plenty of tracks get races that arent NASCAR. For instance, Lime Rock

:)

DaFingz
01-28-2013, 08:10 AM
@ NWMT PR

3 questions.

Whether NSS is more suitable for modified racing or not, the point of the Battle at the Beach is to showcase the regional touring and weekly drivers on the big stage of Daytona.

Gresham Motorsports Park and Clearfield both hosted K&N series races without NASCAR weekly sanctioning. It is not a perequisite.

CASHCAD45
01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
No big stage this year,race is on little stage on backstrech.About a mile away from the glorios trioval! whats next maybe the mods can run the turn one legennds course at NHMS!

BigMac
01-28-2013, 03:41 PM
The whole premise of the Bash was for Daytona Speedway to fill the off days of Speedweeks. Why would they move it to New Smyrna??

NH351
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
@ NWMT PR

3 questions.

I too have been wondering about the drainage catch basins.

NWMT PR
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Can I start by just saying that it is the BATTLE At The Beach, not BASH. I know this is the first time around, but let's try to get started off on the right foot. We don't want this to get like still referring to Doug COBY as COLBY or PENNINK AS PENNICK 10 years after they started racing.

That said,

1) DaFingz and BigMac said it just right.
2) They will be covered up.
3) Like multiple posters have said ... if a track wants a race, we're more than willing to talk, whether they're a NWAAS track or not. Plenty of examples of that through the years, and I'm sure more to come in the future. In some ways, a NWAAS track is already held to a a certain NASCAR standard, so it is nice to have that as solid starting point, but there are plenty of fine facilities out there that would be great to add to any touring series.