PDA

View Full Version : 02/02/13 - New era on tap at Thompson

RGeeProductions
02-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Newly appointed Race Director, Jeff Zuidema, is anticipating a brand new era of competition for both race teams and fans at Thompson International Speedway. Zuidema received his new assignment at the historic race track shortly after the first of the year and has devoted virtually all of his time to the new task at hand. Zuidema is a four-time Thompson track champion and sits 5th on the track’s all-time win list with some 52 victories.

Zuidema recently expressed thanks to the Hoenig family for their confidence in him and for the opportunity to take on this extremely important job. He has spent endless hours talking with race teams about the 2013 racing season. “I’m looking for race cars, race cars, race cars. I want to be sure that race teams know that they are more than welcome to be part of the new atmosphere that we will bring to the speedway. Thus far, I have been getting very positive reactions and am excited about working with the competitors. I know that together we can present a race program that will be fun and exciting for the fans,” he said.

“I feel good about what’s going on. I think everyone is interested in a new thing. My job will be to bring competitors back to Thompson and make them feel like their concerns are being listened to. I’m a competitor at heart and can’t help but see things through their eyes. As Race Director, I will encourage the competitors to keep the lines of communication open with me so that their thoughts, concerns and ideas are given proper consideration. Thompson Speedway has been a huge part of my entire adult life as a competitor and a fan long before I was old enough to race,” Zuidema concluded. Race teams with any thoughts, questions or ideas are urged to contact Jeff via e-mail jeff@thompsonspeedway.com Phone calls are welcome directly to Zuidema at 508-769-2890.

The track is now taking driver registrations and requests for car numbers. The form needed for registration is posted on the track’s web page and should be downloaded, filled out and mailed or faxed to the speedway as soon as possible so that competitors can hold onto or change their car numbers.

Right on the heels of the Zuidema appointment, Jonathan Hoenig, Director of Business Development and Marketing confirmed the long-running rumor that the Thompson road course track would return to life in the 2014 season. The road course had been an integral part of the Thompson facility for many years and has recently been used for various car club meets, testing and other such events.

The plans call for rebuilding the current course and incorporating many new ideas along with an upgrade of many of the track’s facilities. Construction of the 1.6 mile road course will begin this spring
and will be done in a manner that will still allow for weekly racing on the historic 5/8ths mile oval. Once completed, the road course will be used primarily for car club rentals.

The 2013 Thompson Speedway race schedule and race rules are also available on the track’s web page. Competitors and fans are urged to visit the site. www.thompsonspeedway.com.

Russ Dowd