PDA

View Full Version : 04/13/13 - Rowan Pennink to take over wheel of #89 Hitchcock Motorsports SK Modified®

RGeeProductions
04-15-2013, 12:58 AM
AT STAFFORD FOR 2013 SEASON

(Stafford Springs, CT)---For the 2013 SK Modified® season at Stafford Motor Speedway, the field will be joined by Whelen Modified Tour veteran Rowan Pennink, who will take over the reigns of the #89 Hitchcock Motorsports car formerly driven by Woody Pitkat. In the two seasons that Pitkat drove the #89 car, he posted 4 wins, 22 top-5, and 28 top-10 finsihes in 36 starts. Pennink is looking forward to the opportunity to drive the car this year and says he won't be putting any pressure on himself.

"This should be a lot of fun, I'm really looking forward to it," said Pennink. "That car has run strong for a few years now with Woody and hopefully I can keep the car up front this season. Everyone knows that is a front running car, so there is a little pressure there, but I'm not going to be focusing on that. I'm just going to get in the car and do the best that I can and that's all I can do from my end."

It was a phone call from engine builder Mike Pettit that turned the wheels in motion for Pennink to land the #89 ride this season.

"I got a call from Mike Pettit who told me there might be an opportunity to drive the #89 car and that I should get in touch with Bob Hitchcock and Kelly Iverson," said Pennink. "I gave them a call and we talked back and forth for a bit and we were able work out a deal for me to drive the car."

Pennink has previous experience in Stafford's SK Modified® division, running one full season in 2006 where he earned Rookie of the Year honors with 4 top-10 finishes. Pennink ran 4 races the following season and recorded two more top-10 finishes in only 4 starts and he feels like his first Stafford win is right around the corner with the extra seat time benefitting him in his Whelen Modified tour and Modified Racing Series efforts this year.

"I think that the more you're racing, the better you're going to be," said Pennink. "If you look at guys like Teddy [Christopher] and Ryan [Preece], they race a lot and I think that only helps you keep on top of your game. Stafford is one track that I haven't won at yet, but I think I can get my first win there this year. I've been real close before in the Tour and the MRS races, we just haven't been able to close the deal. Hopefully between the SK season, 4 WMT races and 3 MRS races, we can get several wins at Stafford this year."

Pennink will carry sponsorship from Hitchcock Pool Water, Monk Mechanics Hand Cleaner, and JG Poulin Drywall for his return to the SK Modified® division, and he will be teammates with 2011 SK Modified® champion Ryan Preece.

"It's going to be cool to be teammates with Ryan," said Pennink. "Ryan and I were rookies at the same time on the Whelen Modified Tour and he always runs well at Stafford, so hopefully it will be a good year for us. If he has any advice for me this season, I'd be willing to take whatever he has to offer. We're hoping to get that first win at Stafford and hopefully that first win will lead to many more wins this year."

Pennink will begin his SK Modified® experience at the 42nd Annual CARQUEST Tech-Net Spring Sizzler on April 26-28. Tickets for the "Greatest Race in the History of Spring" may be ordered by calling the Speedway Box Office. Tickets are priced at $38.50 for adult general admission tickets, $5.00 for children ages 6-14, and children ages 5 and under are admitted free of charge when accompanied by an adult. Reserved seating is $42.00 for all ages. All ticket prices include 10% CT Admission Tax.

For more information on the 42nd Annual CARQUEST TECH-NET Spring Sizzler®, or to order tickets, contact the Stafford Motor Speedway track office at 860-684-2783 or visit us on the web at www.staffordspeedway.com.

Scott Running