PDA

View Full Version : 04/20/13 - Eric Beers Dusts Mahoning Valley Modified Field

RGeeProductions
04-21-2013, 12:47 PM
When Northampton’s Eric Beers announced that he was not going to run the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour this season and instead race more regularly at his home track of Mahoning Valley Speedway, it brought an already high quality field up a notch. But despite all the talent, Beers proved no match as he was virtually flawless on his way to winning the 35-lap feature.

Starting from the pole, Beers blasted to the lead at the drop of the initial green and quickly made it a race for second as he was never seriously challenged until a few late cautions afforded runner-up Earl Paules a chance to make a run at him.

“You have 19-20 guys that could win here every week. Earl (Paules) is tough and when he pulled up next to me (under caution) I thought, ‘Oh boy here we go.’ But he’s a clean racer and I’m sure I’ll be running second to him a few times this year,” said Beers, who pilots the Dave and Laura Delange owned No. 45.

“I want to dedicate this win to all the people in Boston who were affected by the bombing.”

Rookie Kris Graver was on the outside front row for the outset and fell in behind Beers at the start. Rick Kirkendall was next in line then Nevin George and impressive first time Modified starter Brandon Oltra.

Beers led the brigade on a non-stop run through lap 19. A spinning car in turn one put a halt to the hot paced action but once back underway it remained all Beers. Within the final handful of laps there were several cautions for minor incidents and each time the race would resume Beers timed his restarts perfectly.

“Bob Bruneau gives us a great engine and we were lucky enough that we had enough grip to put the pedal down and we got a good jump each time after the cautions,” said Beers.

Paules was making an attempt to reel in Beers. After starting seventh, he weaved through traffic and into the top three by lap 21. He was locked in behind George until a restart with six to go. The only chance thereafter at getting the lead was on restarts but Beers would have none of that as he went on to notch his 29th career win and take over second spot on the all-time Mahoning Modified win list.

“The car was pretty hooked-up. I don’t know how far out we got on the long run but I was just hoping no one could keep up with us,” said Beers.

“I’m just glad we came out on top tonight and I want to thank all the fans who had to sit through some pretty cold weather tonight and the Santee’s (promoters) for having us, this is a great facility.”

John Bennett, who started 17th, moved into third with five laps to. George settled for fourth and with that took over the point lead. John Markovic completed the top five.

“When I got up to Eric (Beers) that was good enough for me especially after last week. That was the first time in two years that we went off on the hook so I’m happy with second. He was holding the bottom and clearly you weren’t going to drive around the outside of him. You just had to be smart enough and say this is where we’re going to end up tonight,” said Paules, who was coming off his worst finish, 18th, in over two years.

Heat wins went to Austin Kochenash, Beers and Graver with Roger Coss annexing the consi.

Last season defending Late Model champion Paules of Palmerton won 10 times with the class and although he would work hard for most of those wins, none may have come tougher than the victory he scored on Saturday night as the 25-lap main was a barnburner from start to finish.

Paules started from outside row one and outdueled Rick Wallace for the opening lap lead, however, over the next 24 circuits he was in the midst of a torrid four car battle that included Kevin Graver, Jr., Frankie Althouse and Mike Sweeney.

Graver may have been giving the most pressure to Paules as several times he was able to pull along either side. Althouse then showed what he had as he too joined the leaders making the battle a torrid three car fight. Sweeney in the meantime was blanketed in right behind that trio. The rest of the way Paules would be on the defensive in protecting his spot.

“I was just trying to hold the bottom. We had a good starting spot and we took advantage of it tonight. I was watching the top where (Kevin) Graver was running me but I couldn’t give up the bottom because (Frankie) Althouse was down there so it was tough,” said Paules who just barely eked out the win.

The top four of Paules, Graver, Althouse and Sweeney where separated by 4/10ths of a second at the finish. Pat Hargan took a very respectable fifth. Paules and Wallace picked up heat victories.

Two-time and reigning Street Stock champion TJ Gursky of Palmerton led the entire 25 laps in gaining the win and division point lead. That may not seem as exciting as it sounds but the race was without question a very thrilling as it went the distance non-stop. Run in a total time of 5:01.366, all 22 starters finished on the lead lap.

While Gursky showed plenty of muscle en route to the win, the nonstop action behind him was a flurry of side-by-side action which made for a great race. Steven Steigerwalt came in second with Randy Ahner, Jr., Chip Wanamaker and Stacey Brown rounding out the top five.

Gursky made it a perfect night by winning his heat. Steigerwalt and Ahner, Jr., also copped prelim wins while Jillian Long won the consi.

In the Dirt Mods rookie JP Curry cruised ahead for all 20 laps and went under the checkered flag first but his victory celebration would be short lived as he was disqualified due to a ride height infraction. The win was then awarded to Mike Stofflet of Mertztown with Jeff Parker moving to second.

Opening Night feature winner Mark Levy and Curry where heat winners.

13-year old Kyle Strohl of Lehighton scored the win in the 4-Cylinder Stocks. After a close duel with early leader Nick Baer, Strohl grabbed the lead on lap seven and then held off Opening Night winner Jake Kibler the rest of the way.

Jeff Biegley of Breinigsville passed Corey Edelman on the last turn of the last lap and won the Hobby Stock feature.

Modified Feature Finish,( 35 Laps): 1. Eric Beers, 2. Earl Paules, 3. John Bennett, 4. Nevin George, 5. John Markovic, 6. Roger Coss, 7. Chip Santee, 8. Kevin Rex, Jr., 9. Terry Markovic, 10. Eric Kocher, 11. Brandon Oltra, 12. TJ Zacharias, 13. Austin Kochenash, 14. Matt Wentz, 15. DJ Wagner, 16. Don Wagner, 17. Rick Kirkendall, 18. Troy Bollinger, 19. Kris Graver, 20. Bryan Sherwood DNQ: Mike Odwazny, Mike Quinn

Late Model Feature Finish (25 Laps): 1. Earl Paules, 2. Kevin Graver, Jr., 3. Frankie Althouse, 4. Mike Sweeney, 5. Pat Hargan, 6. Paul Koehler, Jr., 7. Paul Effrig, 8. George Ramos III, 9. Mike VanFossen, 10. Geno Steigerwalt, 11. Jennifer Kutz, 12. Rick Walace13. Kenny Hein

Street Stock Feature Finish (25 Laps): 1. TJ Gursky, 2. Steven Steigerwalt, 3. Randy Ahner, Jr., 4. Chip Wanamaker, 5. Stacey Brown, 6. Gene Bowers, 7. Justin Mooney, 8. Jason Frey, 9. Jonathan Tracey, 10. Lonnie Behler, 11. Todd Ahner, 12. Joe Roberts, 13. Josh Mooney, 14. Kyle Strohl, 15. Jillian Long, 16. Zach Graver, 17. Kristy Arthofer, 18. Jason Kuhn, 19. Jason Beers, 20. Steve Hoffman, 21. Jamie Smith, 22. Guy Ackerman
Did not qualify: Brian Labar, BJ Wambold, Tim Stein, Cody Geist, Tiffany Wambold

Dirt Modified Feature Finish (20 Laps): 1. Mike Stofflet, 2. Jeff Parker, 3. Ricky Yetter, 4. Aleia Geisler, 5. Mark Levy, 6. Mark Martini, 7. Dave Gorbatuk, 8. Joe Stangle, 9. Chuck Potts, 10. Ray Deemer DQ: JP Curry

4-Cylinder Stock Feature Finish ( 20 Laps): 1. Kyle Strohl, 2. Jake Kibler, 3. Nick Baer, 4. Bobby Kibler, Jr., 5. Dave Chapman, 6. Danielle Paules, 7. Tyler Stangle, 8. Tanner Laybourn

Hobby Stock Feature Finish (15 Laps): 1. Jeff Biegley, 2. Corey Edelman, 3. Jacob Oswald DNS Jackson Ring

Dino Oberto