PDA

View Full Version : 05/04/13 - Hamilton completes comeback with Wall Modified win Saturday

RGeeProductions
05-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Saturday night’s Modified stock car race at Wall Stadium Speedway offered several possibilities for a “storybook ending.” First it looked like a division newcomer would race to his first career Modified win. Then it appeared that the opening night victor would claim his second straight win. Just moments later it appeared that the first female in the speedway’s 63 year history would grab the win.

Finally when all the dust settled a driver who was told just a year and a half ago that he probably would never have full use of his left hand again raced to the big win in just his second start after sitting out the entire 2012 season recovering.

Chris Hamilton of Oakland, who had suffered through five surgeries on his left hand after a November 2011 racing accident, was the happy Modified winner taking the lead on the final restart with just a few laps remaining. He had been in contention most of the way.

Modified newcomer and last year’s Sportsman champ Eric Mauriello of Howell rocketed to the lead early and looked like a sure winner as he paced most of the 40-lap distance. The caution flag waved with just four laps to go setting up the suspense. On the ensuing restart Mauriello was challenged by opening night winner Steven Reed of Freehold. When the green flag returned Mauriello went spinning and Reed was told to go to the rear of the field by officials for what they felt was his part in the incident.

This moved lady racer Shawna Ingraham of Brick to the top spot. She and teammate Ken Woolley, Jr. of Howell then raced side-by-side into the first turn battling for the lead when they touched and spun. When this duo went to the rear of the field for bringing out the caution Hamilton powered his No. 20 to the lead and on to the win.

Chas Okerson of Freehold, Lavallette’s Adam LaCicero, Mauriello and Reed completed the top five.

“I have to thank my wife and my family for all their support,” Hamilton said. “They have put up with so much. I also have to thank my mother for making this race team possible. I have to thank everyone who works on this car.

“After a year and a half layoff, I finally got the doctor to sign off on me racing just a few days before the season started. He wanted me to have 100 percent strength in my left hand and I worked so hard to get to that point.”

Andrew Krause of Holmdel, who was in the thick of the battle for the Sportsman crown last year, proved that he is again a contender as he won the 30-lap main event wire to wire. Krause fought of brothers Zack and Trevor Alspach, both of Willingboro, most of the way while former champ Kevin Eyres of Colts Neck was fourth. Brick’s Robert Sutphin was fifth.

Joe Mongeau of Brick took top honors in the 25-lap Factory Stock main event. Ronnie Mullen of Brick and Andrew Krause of Holmdel were second and third at the stripe, while John Bowers of Pt. Pleasant and defending champion Scott Riggleman of Manchester were fourth and fifth.

After having a win taken away on opening night after post-race inspection, Todd Pilla of Beachwood won the 25-lapper for the 4 Cylinder cars. Mike Wohl of East Islip, N.Y., Cole Ormsbee and Brien Crosby, both of Wall, and Mike Dunn of Trenton completed the top five.

Trevor Alspach of Willingboro won the 20-lap main for the Legend Cars over a fast closing Robert French of Howell. Edison’s Brian Spencer, Rob Hyer of South Amboy and Willingboro’s Zack Alspach were third through fifth.

Ronkonkoma, N.Y. racer Brian Doyle enjoyed his first ever Wall Stadium win in the 20-lapper for the Limited Late Model cars. Jim Downey of Cliffwood Beach, Toms River’s Derek Hopkinson, Mike Tillett of Bayville and Jack Sayegh of South Toms River completed the top five.

Stock car racing returns to Wall Stadium this Saturday night May 11 with four divisions in action. Special events and prizes for Mother’s Day will also be offered. While the Legend Cars are slated for twin features, the Modifieds, Sportsman and Factory Stocks will also see main event action. Special races for the ladies and for moms will also be presented. 4 Cylinder and Limited Late Model racers will have the night off.

Pit gates will open at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday; with practice starting at 3:30 p.m. Grandstands will open at 5:00 p.m. and the first qualifying event takes the green flag at 6:00 p.m. Main events are scheduled for 7:00 p.m.

Wall Stadium presents professional motorsports events on most Saturdays and Sundays during the summer months. The speedway is located on Route 34 in Wall Township, N.J., just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400, while CKMotorsports@aol.com is the track’s email address. More information is also available at www.wallspeedwayracing.com.

MODIFIED FEATURE – 40 Laps – 1. CHRIS HAMILTON, OAKLAND, 2. Chas Okerson, 3. Adam LaCicero, 4. Eric Mauriello, 5. Steven Reed, 6. Andrew Krause, 7. Christian LaCicero, 8. Shaun Carrig, 9. Ken Woolley, 10. Shawna Ingraham, 11. Chris Lane, 12. John McCormack, 13. Jason Treat

SPORTSMAN FEATURE – 30 Laps – 1. ANDREW KRAUSE, HOLMDEL, 2. Zack Alspach, 3. Trevor Alspach, 4. Kevin Eyres, 5. Robert Sutphin, 6. Kenny Van Wickle, 7. Dave Bailey, 8. Elliott Wohl, 9. Joe Cocca, 10. Tom Kearns, 11. Kevin Davison, 12. Jason Caruso, 13. Matt Langbein

FACTORY STOCKS FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. JOE MONGEAU, BRICK, 2. Ronnie Mullen, 3. Andrew Krause, 4. John Bowers, 5. Scott Riggleman, 6. Tiffany Olejnik, 7. Steve Michel, 8. Paul Hartwig, 9. Ed Bischoff, 10. Josh Matthews, 11. Lee Allen, 12. Marty Van Druten, 13. Troy Gant

4 CYLINDER FEATURE – 25 Laps – 1. TODD PILLA, BEACHWOOD, 2. Mike Wohl, 3. Cole Ormsbee, 4. Brien Crosby; 5. Mike Dunn, 6. Paul Hartwig, 7. Jay Conrad, 8. Scott Dunn, 9. Mike Dorrer, 10. Ron Becker, 11. Orestis Kupzims, 12. Al Morales, 13. Joe DeGiulio, 14. Pete MacDonald

LEGEND CARS FEATURE – 20 Laps – 1. TREVOR ALSPACH, WILLINGBORO, 2. Robert French, 3. Brian Spencer, 4. Rob Hyer, 5. Zack Alspach, 6. Steven Woytysiak, 7. Jim Davison

LIMITED LATE MODEL FEATURE – 20 Laps – 1. BRIAN DOYLE, RONKONKOMA, N.Y., 2. Jim Downey, 3. Derek Hopkinson, 4. Mike Tillett, 5. Jack Sayegh, 6. Glen Conk

Jeff Gravatt