PDA

View Full Version : Going to be Hard to Race on the Daytona Backstretch With NO GRANDSTANDS......

MJProcko
06-19-2013, 12:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/9399600/daytona-international-speedway-launch-3-year-400-million-remodel

maybe they will move the race down the road to a real short track?

jbonez21
06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/9399600/daytona-international-speedway-launch-3-year-400-million-remodel

maybe they will move the race down the road to a real short track?

Wow that's a great point, I wish they would move it to New Smyrna, having a 20-30 car count there would be the bees knees. :-B

Analyst
06-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the link... The end of the article was especially entertaining, specifically the last four paragraphs which I posted below:

"Just because we're going to make this huge investment in our property, we're not going to transfer that downstream to our fans."

Before you award the 'Selfless Humanitarian Quote of the Week Award' to Mr. Chitwood for his devout concern for his paying customers, you must read on...

The project will be funded by ISC out of its $600 million capital expenditure budget in place for all of its tracks from 2013-2017.
An attempt to create a private/public partnership with a tax bill was shot down by the state legislature earlier this year.
"So we're still disappointed in terms of being in Tallahassee this past year and the inability to have a partnership with the state," Chitwood said. "One of the things that we had to do is look at our scope, and one of the things that we took out of scope was the major overhaul of the midway area. We cannot make any permanent infrastructure improvements to that area. I am proud to say we've been able to maintain all of the amenities that we wanted to add in the grandstand structure."

So Chitwood was upset that 2013 didn't bring yet another tax break for deep pocketed NASCAR track owners, namely ISC in this case. So let's reconstruct that first sentence such that Chitwood truthfully tells us how he feels:

"Just because we're going to make this huge investment in our property, we're not going to transfer that downstream to our fans... but we were surely would have been happy to have all the taxpayers in the state of Florida paying for it!