PDA

View Full Version : 06/29/13 - It Was A Night To Remember For Kris Graver At Mahoning Valley Speedway

RGeeProductions
06-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Wins Modified And Dirt Mod Features

Saturday, June 29 is a night Lehighton’s Kris Graver won’t soon forget as the 20-year old won his career first Modified feature and earlier in the night captured the extra distance Dirt Mod race.

Graver, who is a rookie this season with the Modifieds, slipped to the inside of DJ Wagner on lap 16 for the lead and then fended off one very determined Nevin George in scoring the impressive verdict, coming in just his 12th start with the division.

“With all that we’ve been through this year, all the bad luck, it finally turned around and this is a night I’m never going to forget. All the hard work paid off and I can’t thank my pap (Kevin Graver, Sr.,) and uncle (Kevin Graver, Jr.,) for all their help and sticking with me,” said an emotional Graver in Victory Lane.

Graver started third and settled in behind early leader Terry Markovic and Wagner. On lap five Wagner took advantage of a restart to oust Markovic from the top spot. But, Markovic would remain very close which also made for some tight action behind them. Don Wagner used the high line to take third from Graver on the same lap and he and Markovic would then go two-by-two. It was an outstanding race as both Wagner’s, Markovic and Graver put on a dazzling display of side-by-side action.

Graver then turned up the wick on his No. 01 as he went inside of Markovic on lap 15 then stayed that course to do the same to DJ Wagner on the next go-around. Wagner was able to hang with him for the following circuits.

Todd Baer, who was having his best night to date, stepped up to second spot on lap 21 and would try his best to take away the lead but Graver was having none of that. George then accepted the challenge with ten laps to go and was adamant in his quest to pass Graver.
He may be just 20-years old and a Modified rookie but Graver has years of track experience and it showed as the held off George by staying on the low lane.

“I felt him (George), he was there but I wasn’t giving up the bottom. I was determined to win,” said Graver, who now has 30 overall wins.
“People may not know how special this is to me. I grew up watching races here and always dreamed that one day I would be standing here, winning a Modified race. Never quite on your dreams, never stop dreaming.”

Eric Beers took third, Baer got a season best fourth and Chip Santee completed the top five.

Between Kris, Kevin Sr., and Jr., Graver they account for 73 combined wins and eight division championships
Prior to the Modified race, the Dirt Mods took center stage with a 40 lap $1000-to-win main and for the second time this season Kris Graver was offered a ride and for the second time he drove to victory.

Graver was called upon by class regular Ricky Yetter who brought his Friday night Big Diamond car and gave the two-time division champ the opportunity to race in the special show.

A season high 16 cars where checked with Yetter timing quickest at 10.599-seconds. After time trials Graver, who was second quick, redrew the pole position and once the race went green he would never relinquish his spot.

Late into the race Aleia Geisler was charging and made an exciting last ditch effort on the final lap, coming up just inches from stealing the win. Graver won earlier in the year in replacement of Geisler. This was his 17th victory with a Dirt Mod. Jeff Parker, Mark Martini and JP Curry rounded out the top five.

In the Late Models, Frankie Althouse had given up the point lead and then shadowed Earl Paules over the past few weeks but tonight he would be the one shining.

Taking the lead from George Ramos on lap six, Althouse would not let anyone, including Paules, take away the number one spot. Paules tried for several laps to get by but during the later laps Althouse powered ahead, distancing himself for a solid win, his second of the year. Kevin Graver, Jr., notched third.

How tough is it with the Street Stocks at Mahoning Valley? Just ask Kristy Arthofer. After failing to qualify the week prior, Arthofer came back and won. With weekly counts averaging nearly 30 cars, just making the starting grid has become half the battle.

Arthofer started pole and had a race long battle to stay there. Todd Ahner, Kyle Strohl and Zach Graver all made her time out front a difficult stay. She never flinched, however, and would go on to win for the first time in three years. Division point leader Chip Wanamaker came from 17th to second with Strohl claiming third.

Dave Chapmen ended a long dry spell with the Pro 4s as he led every lap and won for the first time since 2009.
Jeff Biegley used lapped traffic to get by Corey Edelman with six laps to go and then went on to his sixth Hobby Stock victory of the year.
Bob Wagner was the winner in the Micro Stock feature. He started eighth and took the lead on lap seven. He then held off Robert McGuire for his fourth victory of the season.

Modified Feature Finish (35 Laps): 1. Kris Graver, 2. Nevin George, 3. Eric Beers, 4. Todd Baer, 5. Chip Santee, 6. Kevin Rex, Jr., 7. Earl Paules, 8. Roger Coss, 9. Terry Markovic, 10. DJ Wagner, 11. Don Wagner, 12. Lou Strohl, 13. Keith Mellars, 14. Matt Wentz, 15. John Markovic, 16. Troy Bollinger, 17. Eric Kocher, 18. Brandon Kressler, 19. Tommy Flanagan

Dirt Modified Feature Finish (40 Laps): 1. Kris Graver, 2. Aleia Geisler, 3. Jeff Parker, 4. Mark Martini, 5. JP Curry, 6. Joe Stangle, 7. Dave Gorbatuk, 8. Frank Parastino, 9. Billy Lowden, Jr., 10. Bill Sittler, Jr., 11. Tom Soldrich, 12. Dave Thomas, 13. Mike Stofflet, 14. Ricky Yetter, 15. Ray Deemer, 16. Clay Butler

Late Model Feature Finish (25 Laps): 1. Frankie Althouse, 2. Earl Paules, 3. Kevin Graver, Jr., 4. George Ramos, 5. Mike Sweeney, 6. Paul Skodacek, 7. Paul Effrig, 8. Geno Steigerwalt, 9. Jennifer Kutz, 10. Rick Wallace, 11. Mark Simon, 12. Dave Wallace, 13. Kenny Hein

Street Stock Feature Finish (30 Laps): 1. Kristy Arthofer, 2. Chip Wanamaker, 3. Kyle Strohl, 4. Jillian Long, 5. Lonnie Behler, 6. Gene Bowers, 7. Todd Ahner, 8. Randy Ahner, Jr., 9. Jason Frey, 10. Steven Steigerwalt, 11. Justin Mooney, 12. Jonathan Tracey, 13. TJ Gursky, 14. Stacey Brown, 15. Jamie Smith, 16. Josh Mooney, 17. Jason Beers, 18. Joe Roberts, 19. Willie Knappenberger, 20. Zach Graver, 21. Aaron Kromer, 22. Jason Kuhn
DNQ: BJ Wambold, Tiffany Wambold, Cody Geist, Guy Ackerman

Pro 4 Feature Finish (20 Laps): 1. Dave Chapman, 2. Jake Kibler, 3. Kyle Strohl, 4. Nick Baer, 5. Doug Knauss, 6. Bobby Kibler, Jr., 7. Cody Kohler. 8. Danielle Paules, 9. Robert Miller, 10. Tyler Stangle

Hobby Stock Feature Finish (15 Laps): 1. Jeff Biegley, 2. Corey Edelman, 3. Bill Verwys, 4. Steve McDonough, 5. Gunner Yost

Micro Stock Feature Finish, (20 Laps): 1. Bob Wagner, 2. Robert McGuire, 3. Alex Greenzweig, 4, Wayne Krenn, 5. Kevin Heller, 6. Brain Zawaski, 7. Tyler Wagner, 8. Kenny Dengler, 9. Taylor Santee, 10. Jim Dodd, 11. Joe Pritchard, 12. Walt Mueller, 13. Scott Kotran, 14. Kevin Heller, 15. Doug Knauss, 16. John Rakos, 17. Don Wagner, 18. James Dodd, Jr., 19. Luis Acevedo, 20. Gene Bowers, 21. Roger Snyder

Dino Oberto