PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for the WMT in 2014

MOD11RACER
07-18-2013, 10:53 PM
No Ice Breaker in 2014.

http://www.racedayct.com/2013/07/construction-expected-to-have-major-effects-on-oval-racing-at-thompson-in-2014-icebreaker-likely-off-schedule/

worm
07-19-2013, 07:54 AM
nascar will just add another riverhead race .300.00 to take green

JWfor8x
07-19-2013, 11:03 AM
According to the article, there might not be any racing at all on the oval in 2014. They hope to have construction completed by June but have no schedule at all for the oval yet. It could end up a lot worse than just losing the Ice Breaker next year.

bud
07-20-2013, 03:13 AM
Lol. 11 races

Gil
07-20-2013, 03:14 AM
If I was planning on building a car, for Thompson, this winter, I'd build it for Waterford instead!!!!

:cheers:

worm
07-20-2013, 09:54 AM
wmt schedule comes out in dec 2013,so it does not look good for any race next year

Sluggo44
07-20-2013, 05:44 PM
I took a look at the blueprints for the new Thompson track. Looks like theyre eliminating the parking area for the campers and half of the pit area. Also looks like a majority of the spectator parking wil be eliminated too . It wont be the Thompson we know when its done

http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/new-track.php

Sicklajoie
07-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I took a look at the blueprints for the new Thompson track. Looks like theyre eliminating the parking area for the campers and half of the pit area. Also looks like a majority of the spectator parking wil be eliminated too . It wont be the Thompson we know when its done

http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/new-track.php

Maybe they'll use the golf course for parking LMAO

BigMac
07-21-2013, 01:54 PM
After a long hard winter I would think another track would do ok by running the WMT season opener. Kick off the season at Monadnock!! Bristol in March wouldn't be bad either. Another possibility would be for Stafford to run an Icebreaker for the WMT in early April and then make the Sizzler an open race. I doubt it would ever happen but if there was ever a year to try it 2014 would be the year from the sound of things. The idea of kicking off the WMT schedule someplace other than Thompson is sounding more appealing by the minute.

hasbeen
07-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Would anyone have any ideas on this road course? Is there going to be a "weekly" road course division"? LOL

I like road racin,I just dont see it happening every week.....There must be a major player coming to the track for the owners to commit themselves to this...

Any thoughts??? Thanks

wmass01013
07-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Would anyone have any ideas on this road course? Is there going to be a "weekly" road course division"? LOL

I like road racin,I just dont see it happening every week.....There must be a major player coming to the track for the owners to commit themselves to this...

Any thoughts??? Thanks

I guess if u look at the NHMS schedule http://www.nhms.com/events/

CASHCAD45
07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I guess if u look at the NHMS schedule http://www.nhms.com/events/

I hope NASCAR can work out a group of road races for the WMT. Maybe Thompson , Lime Rock & The GLEN or New Jersey , maybe even the Virginia track(north/south combo would be cool).

TourFan Ed
07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
With the news LIMM shared with us about a possible race at New Smyrna in February this could be the time for NASCAR to step up and back up their words with some action. thinking they could possibly work with NHMS to get another race there as the track has shown interest in another race weekend in the past. Another possibility would be Richmond and or Martinsville back with North South combo races. Just putting some thoughts out there as something would have to happen in the next few months to get it done for 2014. One other thought is Myrtle Beach speedway as I believe the promoter there has shown some interest in hosting a modified race. Lets hope there may be some good news out of this situation

kja819
07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Southern National in NC would be a great place for a combo race also. I've seen some great racing there although I now live in FL.

HoosierDaddy1
08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Here is my opinion. Move the Spring Sizzler at Stafford back a week or two. Put Richmond back on the schedule the end of April (under the lights), as a combo event with the southern mods. And televise it.

MJProcko
08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Here is my opinion. Move the Spring Sizzler at Stafford back a week or two. Put Richmond back on the schedule the end of April (under the lights), as a combo event with the southern mods. And televise it.

That should be a gimme.... they could just move the Sizzler to the Ice Breaker weekend not to interfere with Richmond.

BigMac
08-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I'd rather see 2 races at Monadnock and Bristol. Richmond is a pipe dream that will never happen again.

Sicklajoie
08-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Stafford always has their 2 swap meets the first 2 weeks of April so I don't see them moving the Sizzler earlier.

CASHCAD45
08-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Stafford always has their 2 swap meets the first 2 weeks of April so I don't see them moving the Sizzler earlier.

Right you are. Besides why should we change one of the last traditions left? Last weekend in April IS Sizzler weekend there is something to be said for consistency!!!!!!!

LiquidBread
08-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Been biting my tongue for a while or maybe just saving my breath, but this brings to mind the bigger issue of Daytona's support in general. I know one-note Johnny, but 11 races in 2014 could turn out to be optimistic and over half will be held at 3 tracks. No upstate NY, no NJ, no PA, no ME.... again. Anybody that follows this series and was born before 1990 can remember Holland, Perry, Lancaster, Oswego, Wall, etc. as popular stops on the tour. No shortage of other Northeast venues given a little time and advertising. Man I miss those days....full stands and car counts. Maybe the strategic plan is to run an exclusively CT series with a couple of pauses for Riverhead.

CASHCAD45
08-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Been biting my tongue for a while or maybe just saving my breath, but this brings to mind the bigger issue of Daytona's support in general. I know one-note Johnny, but 11 races in 2014 could turn out to be optimistic and over half will be held at 3 tracks. No upstate NY, no NJ, no PA, no ME.... again. Anybody that follows this series and was born before 1990 can remember Holland, Perry, Lancaster, Oswego, Wall, etc. as popular stops on the tour. No shortage of other Northeast venues given a little time and advertising. Man I miss those days....full stands and car counts. Maybe the strategic plan is to run an exclusively CT series with a couple of pauses for Riverhead.

I've been to all but 6 WMT events ever run and don't remember running a race at Lancaster . When was that? What is Perry ? just curious my memory isn'twhat it user to be :rolleyes:

NWMT PR
08-13-2013, 02:46 PM
A lot of speculation here, and plenty of time between now and then for things to shake out. While we're speculating about two - or zero - NWMT races at Thompson next year, we should probably also consider that they might still want their three dates. The Icebreaker could be run later in the season. They've had plenty of June and September dates through the years. And remember that the 2000 "Icebreaker" was actually run in July of that year and called the Budweiser Kickoff.

JWfor8x
08-14-2013, 10:57 AM
A lot of speculation here, and plenty of time between now and then for things to shake out. While we're speculating about two - or zero - NWMT races at Thompson next year, we should probably also consider that they might still want their three dates. The Icebreaker could be run later in the season. They've had plenty of June and September dates through the years. And remember that the 2000 "Icebreaker" was actually run in July of that year and called the Budweiser Kickoff.

You're right...maybe they could hold it in November and call it "The Ice Setter ". If they want a September race, a return of the Thompson 300 sounds good to me.

LiquidBread
08-15-2013, 10:49 AM
I've been to all but 6 WMT events ever run and don't remember running a race at Lancaster . When was that? What is Perry ? just curious my memory isn'twhat it user to be :rolleyes:

Lancaster morphed into Dunn Tire Park and is now Elegant Builders Raceway Park. We lost Tommy Druar there although it I don't believe that it was a 'Tour' stop, just sanctioned weekly series. The Tour visited Lancaster on and off in 1970s and 80s as I recall (my memory isn't what it used to be either). I believe that the ROC stops twice per year now. Perry is now Wyoming County International Speedway. Late 1960s through 80s. Remember seeing Richie Evans jump in a blue Late Model Sportsman with #61 taped on the side and ace the field from last starting position. It was in between his mod heat and feature and I believe based on an impromptu hand shake in the pits.

limodmaniac
08-16-2013, 10:52 AM
It didnt' sound all gloom and doom at Thompson yesterday. It sounded like construction is ahead of schedule and that there was even hope of an Icebreaker. Time will tell, but based on that large crowd last night, I'd say the Modifieds are a very important part of Thompson!!

wmass01013
08-16-2013, 11:08 AM
It didnt' sound all gloom and doom at Thompson yesterday. It sounded like construction is ahead of schedule and that there was even hope of an Icebreaker. Time will tell, but based on that large crowd last night, I'd say the Modifieds are a very important part of Thompson!!

Yes it is!!! and for $44-50 AMAZING
you would think THE HOENIGS would play on that fact and do some things to have MOREEEEEEEE MODIFIED RACES
I am going to NHMS for thurs fri and sat in sept and will pay $35 for a lot more racing than BIG T gave me
YES I THOUGHT the mod race was good action
Boo to Santos for his IDIOT move on the 51 when he did have a much faster car, he shoulda been repaid