PDA

View Full Version : does money even matters for racing today

worm
07-20-2013, 01:38 PM
20 cars show 10,000 to win at seekonk 27 cars at oswego 15000.00 to win mad dog on the 27th 2600.00 to win around 25 cars

Sluggo44
07-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Appearantly not. When North Wilkesboro was hosting its big race a couple years ago , they put up $5000 for the modified race. Rumor has it, that the guy who runs the PASS series was trying to generate some intrest for the modifieds and start a PASS tour type modified series. Unfortunately only 13 cars showed up , so the idea was eventually abandoned

Big Guy
07-21-2013, 09:40 AM
well i was in Oswego last night and yes its bad that only 27 cars showed up for a $15.000 to win + LAP MONEY. the brass of all modifieds series will have to sit down and have some common rules but you just cant keep going this way and charge huge admission and you cant get the best drivers out there gosh it was the race of Champions.

on the other end you read drivers and team from the Whelen Modifieds tour complaining that they dont have enough races and when there is some really good paying races they DONT BOTHER TO SHOW UP or Nascar book them a Race at Delaware they are whining its too far. are they told by Nascar not to show up to non Nscar races. the tour was not even racing this w/e, Ron Silk came to the last ROC race at Oswego and said he was coming to the ROC but was MIA.

you know if you have a 410 or a 360 Sprint car or a Dirt Late Models you can travel coast to coast and race it without the hassle or different rules. you have Major series and on BIG races nobody schedules on top of each others so Big Stars CAN RACES IN ALL OF THEM. Not little rules so guys cant go in compete

wmass01013
07-21-2013, 11:25 AM
well i was in Oswego last night and yes its bad that only 27 cars showed up for a $15.000 to win + LAP MONEY. the brass of all modifieds series will have to sit down and have some common rules but you just cant keep going this way and charge huge admission and you cant get the best drivers out there gosh it was the race of Champions.

on the other end you read drivers and team from the Whelen Modifieds tour complaining that they dont have enough races and when there is some really good paying races they DONT BOTHER TO SHOW UP or Nascar book them a Race at Delaware they are whining its too far. are they told by Nascar not to show up to non Nscar races. the tour was not even racing this w/e, Ron Silk came to the last ROC race at Oswego and said he was coming to the ROC but was MIA.

I so agree, I know some people don't like when we talk about PAST YEARS and I know cost are way different today the in the 70-80s but there is no reason 40 plus cars should not show up at NHMS, SEEKONK OPEN AND ROC, now do I wish the ROC was in SEPT/OCT? yes!

I don't think u will ever see common rules for all 3 series to let guys race anywhere.

Revscott
07-22-2013, 03:43 AM
Ron Silk, Ryan Preece, Justin Bonsignore and others were all at the 77 memorial at River head. Then you have 22 more cars at Oxford with the MRS. The car count for MODS is not that bad. They are out there but spread thin. If the rumors are true and more tracks close next year then some people truly need to sit down and figure out how to fix it.

The Tour needs to get back to some other tracks but why should the promoters bring them in when they can pay a smaller purse to the MRS and ROC tours and have around the same amount of fans? The bottom line is its all about $$$$$$. Look at all the tracks out there in financial problems. I wish there was an easy solution but there just isnt one. Heck you have 3 different SK MOD Divisons in CT. If they all showed up in one place you would have a great number of cars.

Who remembers when every pace car from every track would be at a spring sizzler or world series? You would have 10-15 tracks represented all in one place. Just doesnt seem like anyone wants to work together anymore and it sure does show.

BigMac
07-22-2013, 06:44 AM
I think Seekonk paints themselves in a corner with their open race running on the date it does. Running the event 4 days after the WMT runs a two day show in NH and three days before the ROC and Riverhead 77 takes a toll. The MRS teams have to haul to Oxford 3 days after the open wheel Wednesday event as well. You add all that together and you can see some of the logistical challenges its presents for teams. Might be time to give a great event a facelift with a new date.

limodmaniac
07-22-2013, 08:16 AM
I would have thought July 3 would have been a great date for the Seekonk show. The day before the 4th of July.

MOD11RACER
07-22-2013, 09:19 PM

you know if you have a 410 or a 360 Sprint car or a Dirt Late Models you can travel coast to coast and race it without the hassle or different rules. you have Major series and on BIG races nobody schedules on top of each others so Big Stars CAN RACES IN ALL OF THEM. Not little rules so guys cant go in compete

YES MONEY MATTERS: THE QUESTION SHOULD READ WHY AREN'T THE ROC and MRS MODIFIED TEAMS SUPPORTING THE RACES @ Loudon, NH.

The Loudon Races have the biggest Modified pay outs of any Modified races for the year.

Take a good look at the 3 Modified Tours that run today and look at the point funds that they pay out.

The WMT point fund pays 20 X what the MRS and the ROC pay. Yes you read right 20 TIMES what the other Modified Tours pay. Think about that.

The 15th place finisher in the WMT point standings wins more point fund money than either of the Champions of the MRS or the ROC.

So money does count.

The WMT, ROC and The MRS all have different rules. When you go to these so-called open shows who the hell knows what the rules are.

The ROC doesn't even have a decent Tech. Who the hell knows what the rules are on that Tour.

NASCAR does not tell the WMT Teams to not run other Modified race events. Chad Little even told teams to run as much as you can.

The ROC purse sucks after paying 1st place for 200 laps of racing. It's front loaded. Todays racers are looking down the line at these purse pay outs not just what 1st pays. The 2012 ROC race winner received a purse pay out of $8,000 and this year it went up to $15,000. Did Andy increase the purse or just moved money around ? I was told he moved other money around to get to the $15,000 for the winner. Again rules American Racer Tires. Teams that run the WMT do not want to run on an SK Modified Tire. Can you blame them.

If the ROC purse is that great why doesn't Andy post it ?

The date for the ROC event should be after the Thompson World Series event. Then teams would be done racing for Tour and Track Championships.

The Seekonk Open: Bad date too many races in a short amount of time. Move the date. The purse was a total of $31,470 which is OK. Now take $10,000 for the winner away from the purse total and that leaves you with $21,470 for the rest of the field 23 teams. It ends up being no better than a regular paying purse. You have to buy at least 9 tires and then you happen to finish 7th and it only pays $900. Do you think that's a good paying purse ? You wonder why only 20 Modified teams showed up.

The WMT Flash races pay more than that purse.

The Question Should Read: Why are the ROC and MRS Teams not supporting the races at Loudon, New Hampshire. You want to talk about money. Doug Coby won $12,600 for his win at Loudon for 100 laps and he didn't have to run any heat races. 32nd place (last) paid $1,800. The ROC paid $600 for last place and Seekonk paid $550. Does anybody see a difference here ?

Silk, Bonsignore and Preece all ran Riverhead Saturday night for the C.J., Evans, Baldwin Memorial Race. Silk's car owner Eddie Patridge was involved with CJ and Riverhead is his home track. Preece runs for Bill Park and again Riverhead is his home track.

TOTAL CASH PAY OUT. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.

JMB
07-23-2013, 02:07 PM
They had 64 cars try to qualify for Oxford 250 last week. Probably would have had over 70 but ACT ran their own big money race at Airborne the same day.(plus other big races at Anderson, Indiana and Riverside, Nova Scotia during the weekend probably took a away a few more cars)

CynthiaTork
07-23-2013, 10:36 PM
I know one team that didn't make Seekonk, but wanted to, due to it being a Wednesday night and it means closing the family business for the day. The business that pays for the race car. That math doesn't work, unless you win.

The cost of purchasing NASCAR licences for car and crew makes NHMS prohibitive to run one or two races. Maybe that policy is to be examined

DaFingz
07-24-2013, 09:31 AM
YES MONEY MATTERS: THE QUESTION SHOULD READ WHY AREN'T THE ROC and MRS MODIFIED TEAMS SUPPORTING THE RACES @ Loudon, NH.

The Question Should Read: Why are the ROC and MRS Teams not supporting the races at Loudon, New Hampshire. You want to talk about money. Doug Coby won $12,600 for his win at Loudon for 100 laps and he didn't have to run any heat races. 32nd place (last) paid $1,800. The ROC paid $600 for last place and Seekonk paid $550. Does anybody see a difference here ?

TOTAL CASH PAY OUT. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.

How many MRS or ROC teams out there do you think have the level of equipment to actually be competitive with the Tour regulars at NHMS? Maybe half a dozen between the two series? Look how many top level Tour teams had motor issues at NHMS. Are guys running a more cost effective, primarily short track Mod racing series going to want to beat up their motors for 100 laps at Loudon for MAYBE a top 10? Don't forget that the MRS runs Canaan (which was a very good paying race in years past) the night of the July Tour race so why would they skip that to hammer their motors at New Hampshire?

Two of the top 3 in 2012 RoC points were in fact in this past event. Hossfeld, along with Matt Hirschman, can be considered the cream of the crop from the RoC. Chuck, who runs well just about everywhere, had a top 10. Kyle Ebersole who ran full time with the two RoC heavyweights last year made the trip to NHMS and was never really up to speed all weekend and had a disappointing finish due to an accident. Other than those drivers who else from the RoC could even run Top 10 or 15 at NHMS? Let's not forget about NASCAR liscences, inspection fees, saftey standards, and differing equipment.

It would be great to see some teams from other series run up at NHMS but realistically who has the equipment, financing, and team support structure to be cometitive enough for it to be worth their while from the other series?

I do agree whole heartedly with the "Total cash payout" being paramount. In my opinion that is the problem with MOST open shows. If you are an above average team and you look at an entry list stacked with top tier heavy hitters then its kind of hard to justify incurring a ton of cost to show up to run 15th for the same purse you would get from your weekly series or home track.

MXCHAMP04
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM

The Loudon Races have the biggest Modified pay outs of any Modified races for the year.

Take a good look at the 3 Modified Tours that run today and look at the point funds that they pay out.

The WMT point fund pays 20 X what the MRS and the ROC pay. Yes you read right 20 TIMES what the other Modified Tours pay. Think about that.

The 15th place finisher in the WMT point standings wins more point fund money than either of the Champions of the MRS or the ROC.

So money does count.

The WMT, ROC and The MRS all have different rules. When you go to these so-called open shows who the hell knows what the rules are.

The ROC doesn't even have a decent Tech. Who the hell knows what the rules are on that Tour.

NASCAR does not tell the WMT Teams to not run other Modified race events. Chad Little even told teams to run as much as you can.

The ROC purse sucks after paying 1st place for 200 laps of racing. It's front loaded. Todays racers are looking down the line at these purse pay outs not just what 1st pays. The 2012 ROC race winner received a purse pay out of $8,000 and this year it went up to $15,000. Did Andy increase the purse or just moved money around ? I was told he moved other money around to get to the $15,000 for the winner. Again rules American Racer Tires. Teams that run the WMT do not want to run on an SK Modified Tire. Can you blame them.

If the ROC purse is that great why doesn't Andy post it ?

The date for the ROC event should be after the Thompson World Series event. Then teams would be done racing for Tour and Track Championships.

The Seekonk Open: Bad date too many races in a short amount of time. Move the date. The purse was a total of $31,470 which is OK. Now take $10,000 for the winner away from the purse total and that leaves you with $21,470 for the rest of the field 23 teams. It ends up being no better than a regular paying purse. You have to buy at least 9 tires and then you happen to finish 7th and it only pays $900. Do you think that's a good paying purse ? You wonder why only 20 Modified teams showed up.

The WMT Flash races pay more than that purse.

Silk, Bonsignore and Preece all ran Riverhead Saturday night for the C.J., Evans, Baldwin Memorial Race. Silk's car owner Eddie Patridge was involved with CJ and Riverhead is his home track. Preece runs for Bill Park and again Riverhead is his home track.

TOTAL CASH PAY OUT. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.20X, yeah right. This year the MRS champ will get 10K. So the WMT champ is gonna get 200K? Yeah ok. Last year the MRS champ got 5K, so the WMT champ got 100K? You really don't understand racing, and the rules and costs. So how are the MRS guys going to support the Loudon race with different rules, licenses, equipment changes etc? The cost of running the WMT is at least 5-6 times more expensive per year than the MRS, and other than Loudon, they pay 5-6 times more per spot? I think not. Not to mention, teams run the MRS so they don't have to deal with the nascar bull, and expense.

bud
07-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Wow how I miss this. Lol. Mod 11 if the VMRS only paid 1000 to win and the WMT paid 10X that would be 10,000 to win minimum at all the tour events. Name all the races that pay in excess of 10,000 on the WMT.The mods won't mention your false claims but if I call you stupid for making that statement........

limodmaniac
07-29-2013, 04:21 PM
"The WMT point fund pays 20 X what the MRS and the ROC pay. Yes you read right 20 TIMES what the other Modified Tours pay. Think about that."

I think he is saying the ENTIRE point fund, not just the winners share, and not the amount of money to win each race.

MXCHAMP04
07-31-2013, 09:35 AM
"The WMT point fund pays 20 X what the MRS and the ROC pay. Yes you read right 20 TIMES what the other Modified Tours pay. Think about that."

I think he is saying the ENTIRE point fund, not just the winners share, and not the amount of money to win each race.I will refer you to Ed Whelans comment. It went something like this. Running on the WMT is financial suicide.

CASHCAD45
07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
I will refer you to Ed Whelans comment. It went something like this. Running on the WMT is financial suicide.

Tell REAL (sensible) racers like Bob Garberino, the Boehler family, Jamie Tomaino& Wade Cole it is financial suicide to run the WMT. They compete every week without over spending. Paying drivers, crew chiefs, spotters, ire guy & pit crew members . There are several other ways todays new breed of pay for speed car owners make things more costly than they have to be.