PDA

View Full Version : Regional Touring Series to New Smyrna Speedway...?

DaFingz
07-30-2013, 09:11 AM
This was shared by Jason Cunningham via twitter the other day. I'm guessing not many people saw the article so I figured I would post it here. See the last two paragraphs on the 2nd page.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20130725/SPORTS/130719986/1001?Title=New-Smyrna-Speedway-enjoying-NASCAR-sanction&tc=ar#undefined

It would be pretty cool to see to see a points paying, big purse North/South combo race at NSS during speedweeks. Plus the Tour could use another date with the liklihood of the Icebreaker being off the schedule next year.

jbonez21
07-30-2013, 11:58 AM
This was shared by Jason Cunningham via twitter the other day. I'm guessing not many people saw the article so I figured I would post it here. See the last two paragraphs on the 2nd page.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20130725/SPORTS/130719986/1001?Title=New-Smyrna-Speedway-enjoying-NASCAR-sanction&tc=ar#undefined

It would be pretty cool to see to see a points paying, big purse North/South combo race at NSS during speedweeks. Plus the Tour could use another date with the liklihood of the Icebreaker being off the schedule next year.

Thanks for sharing! Please bring all the boys down! 2 or 3 times a year :applause:

BigMac
07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Sounds like the K&N series is going to NSS and the mods might be going. It would be great for the fans and the track itself. Nascar would have to make it financially viable for modified teams if they are in fact part of the discussion. The K&N can run for 2k to win with a million dollar plus point fund. The mods, not so much.

limodmaniac
07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Do you know what the difference in point fund money is between the K and N and the Whelen Modified Tour? And break it to me easy, please!!!

BigMac
07-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Do you know what the difference in point fund money is between the K and N and the Whelen Modified Tour? And break it to me easy, please!!!

Not sure about this year. In 2010 it was 1.1 mil for the East series and a tick under $300K for the WMT. I'm sure its about the same this year, give or take a few bucks. I'd ask a K&N competitor about this year but I don't think there are any left in the northeast.

limodmaniac
07-30-2013, 08:53 PM
That's the FIRST thing Nascar needs to fix. Make them the same!!!

jbonez21
07-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Sounds like the K&N series is going to NSS and the mods might be going. It would be great for the fans and the track itself. Nascar would have to make it financially viable for modified teams if they are in fact part of the discussion. The K&N can run for 2k to win with a million dollar plus point fund. The mods, not so much.

Do you have a link or anything about K&N coming to NSS? Thanks!

limodmaniac
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Look back at the link - and go to the 2nd page

MOD11RACER
08-01-2013, 11:52 PM
NASCAR needs to do a better job about getting information out.

Especially about the Point fund, Bonus money, and yes the purse pay out. The purses on the WMT are still much, much better than the ROC and the MRS.

At least double the point fund that would really help. That way you wouldn't have to raise the race purse at the tracks.That might help to get more cars on the Tour.

Racing on the Tour has been outstanding this year.

Without a big purse increase at Loudon to attract more Modifieds I do not see a 3rd Tour race. The July race purse is still not back to what Loudon paid in 2011. Shame on NASCAR and Jerry Gappens for letting that happen.

Stop running a Southern Tour race on the 2nd Loudon date. Boy that's an easy one.

Waterford should grab the Icebreaker date and run the Tour to open the New England season as well as their June date. The teams and drivers like running at Waterford.

Rockingham should run a combo event. That would add a date to both the North and The South Tours. Monadnock should keep the later July date. I think its better for the Speedway and the fans to run in July.

New Smyrna would be great as long as it paid an equal or better purse to the one Daytona paid in 2013.

JWfor8x
08-02-2013, 11:30 AM
NASCAR needs to do a better job about getting information out.

Especially about the Point fund, Bonus money, and yes the purse pay out. The purses on the WMT are still much, much better than the ROC and the MRS.

At least double the point fund that would really help. That way you wouldn't have to raise the race purse at the tracks.That might help to get more cars on the Tour.

Racing on the Tour has been outstanding this year.

Without a big purse increase at Loudon to attract more Modifieds I do not see a 3rd Tour race. The July race purse is still not back to what Loudon paid in 2011. Shame on NASCAR and Jerry Gappens for letting that happen.

Stop running a Southern Tour race on the 2nd Loudon date. Boy that's an easy one.

Waterford should grab the Icebreaker date and run the Tour to open the New England season as well as their June date. The teams and drivers like running at Waterford.

Rockingham should run a combo event. That would add a date to both the North and The South Tours. Monadnock should keep the later July date. I think its better for the Speedway and the fans to run in July.

New Smyrna would be great as long as it paid an equal or better purse to the one Daytona paid in 2013.

I agree with everything you say, espescially with Waterford grabbing the Icebreaker as I think that would be ideal. I doubt if NSS would pay as much as Daytona did for the 2013 race but I have been wrong often in the past and hope to be wrong about that too. I think it would be a great way for both the WMT and the WSMT to start the seaspn off with a points race, but I'm a fan, not a team owner so that makes a huge difference in my perspective.

Fast&Legal
08-23-2013, 01:25 PM
From New Smyrna Speedway facebook page:"BIG NEWS: For those who missed it... It was announced during the Driver's Meeting Saturday that New Smyrna Speedway will begin installing a brand new, state of the art, Musco lighting system around the high-banked half-mile over the next couple months.

Musco has long been revered as the world leader in outdoor lighting and will be installing a state of the art system complete with laser installed lighting poles and a 25 year lighting guarantee.

The Grand Re-Lighting Ceremony is set to take place at the 48th Annual Florida Governor's Cup 200.

We hope this addition to the facility will further solidify New Smyrna Speedway as the premiere racing facility in the South!"