PDA

View Full Version : 08/03/13 - Preece Adds His Name to Legendary Winners’ List at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
08-04-2013, 05:22 PM
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour gives competitors from all over the East Coast the chance to race at the legendary track where weekly
racing was born. And on Saturday, Ryan Preece of Berlin, CT not only raced at Bowman Gray Stadium, but he won – adding him to the famed list of featured event winners at the Madhouse.

The day started on an exhausting note for Preece as he rode over 700 miles in an all-night trip, making it to the Stadium just a few hours before qualifying. But it didn’t take long for Preece to
feel that the trouble was worth it: He qualified on the pole for the start of the Kevin Powell Motorsports 199.

Preece sailed ahead at the front of the pack, receiving some outside row challenges from the #73 of Cole Powell of Mt. Brydges, Ontario and local racer Burt Myers of Walnut Cove.

“The 73 machine was a threat all day long,” said Powell, who ended up running into trouble when cautions forced him to take to the outside for the restart. “I would’ve liked to not see as many
cautions at the end. We were running second and I really thought we had something for the 41, but I got on the outside and just couldn’t make her stick.”

Burt Myers found himself in a similar predicament. “With these Tour tires, everybody hugs the bottom through the corner. So when you get to the outside, there’s just no grip,” said Myers. “So
playing that outside groove on a restart is the key - being able to get back in line.”

The constant double-file restarts took a toll on Myers’s tires and made it difficult for him to pressure Preece. “I lacked just a little bit of forward grip,” said Myers. “Ryan looked like he could
get a really good bite up off the corner, and that was the difference.”

After leading every lap, Preece started to become teary-eyed in Winner’s Circle as he began to contemplate winning at such a historic and legendary track. “I don’t think anybody here in the
Stadium knows how much this means to me and my family,” said Preece. “Emotionally - I started crying out there. And I’m not an emotional person.”

“This one just really got to me,” said Preece. “There’s just so much history involved in a place like this.”

Preece became the 127th winner of a featured event at Bowman Gray Stadium, adding his name to the legendary list of Stadium winners including Richard Petty, Ralph Earnhardt, Junior
Johnson, and Glen Wood. In fact, Preece’s trophy was presented to him by NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominee Jerry Cook, who is also a past winner at the Madhouse.

Myers finished in second, with Powell coming in third. Stadium regulars rounded out the top six: Danny Bohn of Huntersville in fourth, Tim Brown of Rural Hall in fifth, and John Smith of Mount
Airy in sixth.

Right before the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour took to the track, the Classic Muscle Sportsman Series competed. For the first time ever, Burt Myers decided to try his hand at racing
in the Sportsman Division.

In a stroke of luck he drew the pole – then he held on for 40 laps to grab the checkered. Mack Little of Kernersville, Jacob Creed of Ararat, and Taylor Branch of Lewisville gave Myers a run for
his money on double-file restarts, but Myers held strong.

“If you would have told me this would happen, I would have never believed you,” said Myers about his Sportsman victory. “These guys are no joke. If I’d had started in the back, I’d have never
won this race. Starting in the front row is what won this race for me.”

In the Q104.1 New Country Street Stock Series, Justin Taylor of King crossed the finish line first – but Taylor was penalized after post-race technical inspection. Aaron Hylton of Kernersville was
declared the winner.

Chase Hunt of Lexington grabbed the final checkered flag of the night, winning the 15-lapper for the Summer Shootout Stadium Stock Series.

NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
Kevin Powell Motorsports 199: 199 laps
FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 41 Ryan Preece Berlin, CT
2 1 Burt Myers Walnut Cove, NC
3 73 Cole Powell Mt. Brydges, ON
4 65 Danny Bohn Huntersville, NC
5 02 Tim Brown Rural Hall, NC
6 25 John Smith Mount Airy, NC
7 70 Jeremy Gerstner Wesley Chapel, FL
8 40 Luke Fleming Mount Airy, NC
9 77 Gary Putnam Concord, NC